Which new generation player at his peak could guard prime Shaq 1-on-1?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Which new generation player at his peak could guard prime Shaq 1-on-1?

Nurkic
1%
Pekovic
14%
Adams
23%
Wemby
10%
Jokic
8%
Embiid
33%
other (who?)
12%

Total votes: 118

wablty
Sixth Man
And1: 1,086

Re: Which new generation player at his peak could guard prime Shaq 1-on-1? 

Post#21 » by wablty » Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:27 pm

Embiid I guess but not really? There's no one else even remotely close enough physically to guard Prime Shaq, especially when you consider he was basically playing under a different ruleset.

I guess Pek might have been strong enough to keep him off the block, but Pek didn't have anywhere close to enough length or speed. You'd just hope he got you 12 and 8 before he fouled out. Duncan played with other bigs for a reason. KG played with other bigs for a reason.

That reason was Shaq. Shaquille O'Neal is the most off the charts athlete that we've seen in modern sports. And a lot of folks think he could've been better. Yao is the only player since... Wilt or Kareem I suppose? Maybe peak Sabonis if we go by mythology?

The athlete who could do it is not currently in the NBA. If you go back 50 years, you can come up with less than 5 that'd be real problems for the guy. He was an actual force of nature. If they called it like it is now, he'd have gone to the 20 times a game even without Hack-A-Shaq.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,378

Post#22 » by KembaWalker » Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:46 pm

Embiid on paper I guess would have the best chance to slow him down for a possession or two. Problem is he’d hed be in this state by the end of a quarter

ChiTownHero1992
Veteran
And1: 1,606

Post#23 » by ChiTownHero1992 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:56 pm

Of those at his Peak...Adams has the best shot and I think Shaq still drops 25+ and 15+ rebounds
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 25,205

Post#24 » by cupcakesnake » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:26 pm

dirkdiggler4177 wrote:Healthy Embiid is the clear answer. He is big and strong, got very high etc etc. The difference here is Shaq also has to guard Embiid. Not only that, Shaq has to actually move. If not, Embiid is making open 3-pointers. Ohh, Shaq is guarding the 3-point line? Embiid going right past him, and if Shaq is able to somewhat move to stay in front of him Embiid, he is fouling Embiid, because Embiid is too smart.

I believe Embiid would get the most out of the matchup because Shaq would never be able to guard Embiid, but Embiid would manage on defense.

Embiid has a pretty high center of gravity and is stronger in his upper body than his lower. Despite his good size overall, I think holding his ground against Shaq is completely unrealistic. Post-defense isn't even really Embiid's strength on defense, it's his mobile rim protection and paint deterrence.

The offense thing, sure, but that's not the question. There's a million players these days who would pose problems for Shaq in that way.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 4,119

Post#25 » by bledredwine » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:27 pm

FreeBird23 wrote:Nobody.

Look what he has done against guys like Hakeem, David Robinson, Mourning...

This is the actual answer.
https://undisputedgoat.medium.com/jordan-in-the-clutch-30f6e7ed4c43
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 41,360

Post#26 » by Sedale Threatt » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:31 pm

There are probably others I'm forgetting, but probably the best defensive job on Shaq I can remember was the Blazers in the 2000 Conference Finals. Held him way below his season average on much worse %. But that was a multi-man job with Sabonis slowing him down and Wallace and/or Pippen helping. And he completely demolished them in a few previous years, to the point that Sabonis might or might not have been caught teary-eyed on the bench.

I can see Embiid doing a decent job. But given how much offensive responsibility he has I doubt the Sixers would want to stick with that matchup very much. Wemby's going to win a bunch of DPOY's but Shaq would dunk him through the rim. I vaguely remember Pek; had a few nice seasons and then vanished. I guess I'd probably go with Adams; he's strong and tough but even then gives up a few inches and at least 50 pounds.

Makes you really appreciate what a physical specimen Shaq was. I don't even think Chamberlain compares, which is saying something. We definitely haven't seen anything like him since.
lonzo_pelota
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,594

Post#27 » by lonzo_pelota » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:45 pm

Aaron Donald
txusto
Freshman
And1: 118

Post#28 » by txusto » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:45 pm

The answer is nobody, even peak Marc Gasol wouldn't stop Shaq.
dirkdiggler4177
Rookie
And1: 1,353

Post#29 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:56 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:
dirkdiggler4177 wrote:Healthy Embiid is the clear answer. He is big and strong, got very high etc etc. The difference here is Shaq also has to guard Embiid. Not only that, Shaq has to actually move. If not, Embiid is making open 3-pointers. Ohh, Shaq is guarding the 3-point line? Embiid going right past him, and if Shaq is able to somewhat move to stay in front of him Embiid, he is fouling Embiid, because Embiid is too smart.

I believe Embiid would get the most out of the matchup because Shaq would never be able to guard Embiid, but Embiid would manage on defense.

Embiid has a pretty high center of gravity and is stronger in his upper body than his lower. Despite his good size overall, I think holding his ground against Shaq is completely unrealistic. Post-defense isn't even really Embiid's strength on defense, it's his mobile rim protection and paint deterrence.

The offense thing, sure, but that's not the question. There's a million players these days who would pose problems for Shaq in that way.

If we are talking about only being allowed to play defense against Shaq, then yes, nobody would be able to guard Shaq. I understand as they went up against each other both sides of the floor.
MavsDirk41
Analyst
And1: 2,689

Post#30 » by MavsDirk41 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:59 pm

Nobody on that list is able to contain peak Shaq
FuShengTHEGreat
Veteran
And1: 1,162

Post#31 » by FuShengTHEGreat » Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:17 pm

Wallace_Wallace wrote:I believe the only way to guard Shaq is to go at him at the offensive end. You cannot be just another big body who provides nothing but 6 fouls. Besides Jokic/Embiid, the rest of the guys would probably just stand there and not do anything on offense; this way, Shaq can roam and not waste his stamina (work ethic/stamina was questionable).

Others, maybe Brook Lopez....decent defender who solid post moves and has the ability to pull Shaq out of the paint due his efficiency from deep. Bam Adebayo/Anthony Davis may not be physical enough, but they do has the guard skills to blow by Shaq with relative ease.

This. That's the difference in outcomes between Hakeem in 95 and Dikembe in 01.
tsirigoj
Rookie
And1: 637

Post#32 » by tsirigoj » Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:36 pm

No one did a better job than Tim Duncan and Ben Wallace (in Finals).

The equivalent in today's game? Tough to say.

I think Jokic could draw some offensive fouls on him, maybe.

The best defense may be to try and get him into foul trouble.
Astaluego
Junior
And1: 181

Post#33 » by Astaluego » Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:58 pm

1 vs 1 nobody...however the Wolves could do a good job putting Towns...+Gobert in the aids
I would also like to see M.Robinson on him...I'm not saying it stops him, but I don't remember seeing anyone abuse Mich...although Shaq was a different animal
Old Mike Lorenzo
TMac Culloch
Sophomore
And1: 54

Post#34 » by TMac Culloch » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:09 pm

Curious what Prime PJ tucker could do
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,596

Post#35 » by og15 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:18 pm

Wallace_Wallace wrote:I believe the only way to guard Shaq is to go at him at the offensive end. You cannot be just another big body who provides nothing but 6 fouls. Besides Jokic/Embiid, the rest of the guys would probably just stand there and not do anything on offense; this way, Shaq can roam and not waste his stamina (work ethic/stamina was questionable).

Others, maybe Brook Lopez....decent defender who solid post moves and has the ability to pull Shaq out of the paint due his efficiency from deep. Bam Adebayo/Anthony Davis may not be physical enough, but they do has the guard skills to blow by Shaq with relative ease.

I think most teams now would look to get him in as much action as possible and that can work against the bigger and less conditioned Lakers version of Shaq.

It wouldn't necessarily have to be the big, Kings did it with Bibby for example, but Shaq also played in a far, far less pick and roll heavy league, so that helped him out.

wablty wrote:Embiid I guess but not really? There's no one else even remotely close enough physically to guard Prime Shaq, especially when you consider he was basically playing under a different ruleset.

I guess Pek might have been strong enough to keep him off the block, but Pek didn't have anywhere close to enough length or speed. You'd just hope he got you 12 and 8 before he fouled out. Duncan played with other bigs for a reason. KG played with other bigs for a reason.

That reason was Shaq. Shaquille O'Neal is the most off the charts athlete that we've seen in modern sports. And a lot of folks think he could've been better. Yao is the only player since... Wilt or Kareem I suppose? Maybe peak Sabonis if we go by mythology?

The athlete who could do it is not currently in the NBA. If you go back 50 years, you can come up with less than 5 that'd be real problems for the guy. He was an actual force of nature. If they called it like it is now, he'd have gone to the 20 times a game even without Hack-A-Shaq.

Technically everyone played with another big back then as it was the style, but we do have to add that KG also was running away from being considered a C for the majority of his career, so that factors in.

He even played with two bigs his first two seasons when he was playing SF. Teams did stock up on guys to use for fouls in the case of playing Shaq.
web123888
Sophomore
And1: 106

Post#36 » by web123888 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:22 pm

None of them really would have a chance. If i had to pick one who’d have the best chance maybe Embiid cus of the 290+ lb girth and decent athleticism and rim protection but even he wouldn’t fare very well.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,758

Post#37 » by Michael Jackson » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:48 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Gregoire wrote:I also remember E. Curry (290 lb) did a good job on old Shaq.

Curry is a great one. Sad he ate himself out of the NBA, could have been at least Al Jefferson type for another 10 years.

He had heart issues. He still lives not to far from me. That being said he never really wanted to play basketball he was really into gymnastics. He was drafted as "baby Shaq" but never had the drive for that.

Favorite Scott Skiles quote when he was asked how Curry could become a better rebounder... Skiles "Jump"
FuShengTHEGreat
Veteran
And1: 1,162

Post#38 » by FuShengTHEGreat » Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:02 pm

FreeBird23 wrote:Nobody.

Look what he has done against guys like Hakeem, David Robinson, Mourning...

Yeah waited until they were aging and injury riddled to take over as the best Center.
jrask
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,160

Post#39 » by jrask » Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:10 pm

Chet
No rebounds No rings
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,698

Post#40 » by Statlanta » Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:10 pm

If Greg Ostertag can make Shaq look inefficient than surely Boban Marjanovic can, You don't even need to bring up the star C's in this era.
Aaron Gordon, Devin Booker, Tyrese Halliburton, Trae Young, Anthony Edwards and Luka Doncic all made the Conference Finals.

Where’s Joel Embiid?

Return to The General Board