What's your teams best offer for Donovan Mitchell?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Iwasawitness
Veteran
And1: 3,412

Re: What's your teams best offer for Donovan Mitchell? 

Post#181 » by Iwasawitness » Thu May 16, 2024 10:32 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:
Roger Murdock wrote:
Any Nets package is horrible without Bridges. Even if the Nets got Mitchell for free without losing any assets they’d be a competitive downgrade from this Cavs team. If they give up resources (and their only good one is Bridges) that team looks awful

Nic Claxton would be a terrific asset if you get him along with one of their 3/D wings.
Claxton is a FA but he is also a terrible fit with Mobley. Just retain Allen in that hypothetical.

Have him come off the bench.
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
TeamTragic
General Manager
And1: 6,052

Post#182 » by TeamTragic » Thu May 16, 2024 10:38 pm

Kilroy wrote:Russell, Reaves and Wood for Mitchell with whatever picks necessary to make the deal work...

What a great deal!
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,453

Post#183 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu May 16, 2024 10:38 pm

Iwasawitness wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:
Nic Claxton would be a terrific asset if you get him along with one of their 3/D wings.
Claxton is a FA but he is also a terrible fit with Mobley. Just retain Allen in that hypothetical.

Have him come off the bench.
3 bigs who can't shoot, brilliant. Nah, Cavs need Mobley to be the only cat on the team that can't shoot going forward. This isn't 2009 anymore.

Okoro (won't shoot), cya. TT, cya. Jones, cya. Allen, cya. Playoff Niang, cya.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,411

Post#184 » by Scalabrine » Fri May 17, 2024 2:19 am

Mr Loggins wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:
Mr Loggins wrote:

well, given the scuttle this am is Mitchell is likely to resign with cleveland, the picks and pickawaps are likely not going to be lottery picks.

Abajai has already been trades
Sexton profiles as a 6th man heat check guy
and Markannan is going to want the max next offseason…have fun Utah

clipper, meanwhile, gave up an MVP candidate and all the future picks on an old team

Just because he is likely to re-sign doesnt mean he's likely to stay in Cleveland. We've seen it plenty of times! Get the max extension, first opportunity available request out.

Also, I just want to give a little bit more love to Sexton, because it seems like you are writing him off or pigeon holing him a bit.

He had a slow start to the season and was in a weird role. He took over the starting role in mid December and absolutely took off.
21.5 points per game
5.6 assists per game (2.1 turnovers per game)
2.6 rebounds per game
51/42/85 shooting splits
This is in 29 minutes per game over a 54 game sample size.

I think he's more than a chucker, heat check guy. He's an efficient scorer that can create for others and defend bigger than his size. If he was in a 6th man role he'd probably be a 6MOY candidate every year, but he could also start on a bunch of good teams too.

well, we’ve seen sexton average 24 a game on good efficiency for a few years ago and RealGm laughed at cavs fans for thinking he was something, so I’m not sure why he’s getting love now for putting up 18 a game on a similarly bad team

Ah, I see the angle you're working on.

Sexton is a solid player. Just because a few people made you upset when he was on your team doesn't mean you need to share that opinion with them now. Get over yourself.
Go Knicks!
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 385

Post#185 » by WentzerWuver » Fri May 17, 2024 2:28 am

greg4012 wrote:
Deivork wrote:Another interesting question would be, where does Donovan Mitchell make sense? What's his ideal environment to get a ring?

The answer to this is undoubtedly Miami alongside Bam and Jimmy. That core has been desperately needing exactly what Mitchell provides. That core also covers for all of Mitchell's limitations. TBD if Miami is willing or able to offer all that it would take for it to happen.
That is an easy decision for da Spida!

Living in Ohio
https://youtu.be/1TWoH4mAj58?si=B2uXx_kGumdvkZvC

Living in South Beach
https://youtube.com/shorts/NExLfWID8EE?si=_xZJ18W-Do8VWRCz

It's why Dame wished he had ended up in Miami.
Mr Loggins
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,433

Post#186 » by Mr Loggins » Fri May 17, 2024 2:56 am

Scalabrine wrote:
Mr Loggins wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:
Just because he is likely to re-sign doesnt mean he's likely to stay in Cleveland. We've seen it plenty of times! Get the max extension, first opportunity available request out.

Also, I just want to give a little bit more love to Sexton, because it seems like you are writing him off or pigeon holing him a bit.

He had a slow start to the season and was in a weird role. He took over the starting role in mid December and absolutely took off.
21.5 points per game
5.6 assists per game (2.1 turnovers per game)
2.6 rebounds per game
51/42/85 shooting splits
This is in 29 minutes per game over a 54 game sample size.

I think he's more than a chucker, heat check guy. He's an efficient scorer that can create for others and defend bigger than his size. If he was in a 6th man role he'd probably be a 6MOY candidate every year, but he could also start on a bunch of good teams too.

well, we’ve seen sexton average 24 a game on good efficiency for a few years ago and RealGm laughed at cavs fans for thinking he was something, so I’m not sure why he’s getting love now for putting up 18 a game on a similarly bad team

Sexton is a solid player. Just because a few people made you upset when he was on your team doesn't mean you need to share that opinion with them now. Get over yourself.

I think you missed the point. Sexton has performed better than he has this season, and in the words of Zach Lowe “i’ve never seen a 24 point season on good efficiency dismissed as easily as sexton”

If the nba landscape wasn’t impressed by 24ppg and he was, for all intents and purposes, a very peripheral piece on the trade….why are we impressed by 18ppg on a similarly bad team?
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 14,083

Post#187 » by jfs1000d » Fri May 17, 2024 3:00 am

Derrick White, Sam Hauser, two first round picks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,631

Post#188 » by Alatan » Fri May 17, 2024 3:08 am

The whole **** Denver squad except for Jokic.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,453

Post#189 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri May 17, 2024 3:57 am

jfs1000d wrote:Derrick White, Sam Hauser, two first round picks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stevens would never do that but those 2 guys would start on the Cavs.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,411

Post#190 » by Scalabrine » Fri May 17, 2024 2:07 pm

Mr Loggins wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:
Mr Loggins wrote:

I think you missed the point. Sexton has performed better than he has this season, and in the words of Zach Lowe “i’ve never seen a 24 point season on good efficiency dismissed as easily as sexton”

If the nba landscape wasn’t impressed by 24ppg and he was, for all intents and purposes, a very peripheral piece on the trade….why are we impressed by 18ppg on a similarly bad team?

I remember listening to that and I think Zach Lowe was implying that he is an undervalued piece, not that he is viewed as a chucker. I also think he was coming off a pretty serious knee injury and looked pretty bad on his return. That also obviously dropped his value a bit.

I also think that, to borrow a term from Zach, "I own a lot of stock on Sexton Island". I probably think more highly of him then most, and I think for my Knicks, he'd be an absolutely perfect fit. That fit would be as a 6th man, so your point is being proven here, but he'd be a 6MOY type of 6th man that could start if for some reason Brunson or Divincenzo weren't playing. He might even take Dontes starting spot.

Trading Bogdanovic and picks for Sexton would be insane though.

Hartenstein/Robinson
Randle/OG/Achiuwa
OG/Hart
Donte/Sexton
Brunson/Sexton/McBride

Thats a team fillled with dogs.
Go Knicks!
Mr Loggins
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,433

Post#191 » by Mr Loggins » Fri May 17, 2024 3:11 pm

Scalabrine wrote:
Mr Loggins wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:

I remember listening to that and I think Zach Lowe was implying that he is an undervalued piece, not that he is viewed as a chucker. I also think he was coming off a pretty serious knee injury and looked pretty bad on his return. That also obviously dropped his value a bit.

I also think that, to borrow a term from Zach, "I own a lot of stock on Sexton Island". I probably think more highly of him then most, and I think for my Knicks, he'd be an absolutely perfect fit. That fit would be as a 6th man, so your point is being proven here, but he'd be a 6MOY type of 6th man that could start if for some reason Brunson or Divincenzo weren't playing. He might even take Dontes starting spot.

Trading Bogdanovic and picks for Sexton would be insane though.

Hartenstein/Robinson
Randle/OG/Achiuwa
OG/Hart
Donte/Sexton
Brunson/Sexton/McBride

Thats a team fillled with dogs.

yes, but people don’t lose sleep over trading heat check guys for top 10-15 nba players.

Meaning my original point probably has legs. If Mitchell re-ups with cleveland, theres a good chance Ainge got 3 late round firsts, sexton and the rights to Max out lauri for mitchell. While a lot, is still a trade i think cleveland would do
levon
RealGM
And1: 23,504

Post#192 » by levon » Fri May 17, 2024 3:40 pm

You guys should remember he's expiring and would be asking to leave a team he'd been traded to because he prefers to play elsewhere. That's 90% of his potential market gone already. There's gonna be like two teams he'd play for that could somewhat produce equivalent value for an expiring, and maybe a third darkhorse team. This is how it always goes.
Chokic
Senior
And1: 667

Post#193 » by Chokic » Fri May 17, 2024 4:01 pm

Mitchell isn't going anywhere. You don't trade a better version of dwade. Most likely Garland will be moved to San Antonio for their draft picks or new orleans for ingram swap.
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 10,481

Post#194 » by Woodsanity » Fri May 17, 2024 4:02 pm

Chokic wrote:Mitchell isn't going anywhere. You don't trade a better version of dwade. Most likely Garland will be moved to San Antonio for their draft picks or new orleans for ingram swap.

:lol:
UglyBugBall wrote:Jokic is a guy that needs a superstar like Murray to make his game work.
To me he is the third best player in the NBA - Luka and Embiid are comfortably ahead of him.

:lol:
Wolveswin
General Manager
And1: 2,651

Post#195 » by Wolveswin » Fri May 17, 2024 5:57 pm

TeamTragic wrote:
Kilroy wrote:Russell, Reaves and Wood for Mitchell with whatever picks necessary to make the deal work...

What a great deal!

You had me at Russell.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,156

Post#196 » by jazzfan1971 » Fri May 17, 2024 6:20 pm

According to the wiretap Donovan is happy in Cleveland.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,385

Post#197 » by flow » Fri May 17, 2024 6:56 pm

Chokic wrote:Mitchell isn't going anywhere. You don't trade a better version of dwade. Most likely Garland will be moved to San Antonio for their draft picks or new orleans for ingram swap.

I agree. But in this thread, we're talking about Donovan Mitchell. He's already been traded once. And the team that traded him won the trade.

Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,889

Post#198 » by Roger Murdock » Fri May 17, 2024 7:17 pm

In the two years since the trade happened, the Cavs win % has increased by +19% and the Jazz win% has decreased by 25%

The Jazz 'winning the trade' is purely hypothetical and build on value of Cavs future draft picks. If those are high, then yeah they win. If those are low, it’s a loss. Lauri and Sexton are worth a small fraction of Mitchell and I certainly wouldn’t want to max Lauri next offseason
LaLover11
Sixth Man
And1: 1,086

Post#199 » by LaLover11 » Fri May 17, 2024 7:32 pm

I still think my AD/Reaves for Mitchell & Allen is the best deal the Cavs can get.

Lakers start a new core that can compete with quicker and younger players.

Cavs get thier superstar
Bronny will become Murray 2.0
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,385

Post#200 » by flow » Fri May 17, 2024 7:33 pm

Roger Murdock wrote:In the two years since the trade happened, the Cavs win % has increased by +19% and the Jazz win% has decreased by 25%

Then winning is purely hypothetical and build on value of Cavs future draft picks. If those are high, then yeah they win. If those are low, it’s a loss. Lauri and Sexton are worth a small fraction of Mitchell and I certainly wouldn’t want to max Lauri next offseason

The year before the trade ('22), despite being ravaged with injuries throughout the season, the Cavs won 25 more games than the year before. The year after the trade ('23), and with a healthy roster, they won only 7 games more than the year before.

Comparing the Jazz win % is silly because they completely gutted their team after the '22 season, which the Mitchell trade was a part of. The fact that they somehow won 37 games in '23 is remarkable.

Return to The General Board