This Jalen Brunson season is better than any season from Kyrie, Dame, and who else?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

One_and_Done
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,025

Re: This Jalen Brunson season is better than any season from Kyrie, Dame, and who else? 

Post#181 » by One_and_Done » Mon May 6, 2024 2:36 am

HMFFL wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:He's not better than peak Dame, he just plays in the East and has a solid team around him.
I have Damn as a third option now on a true championship team. During his peak I had him as a #2. He's not a #1 nor has he ever been. His lack of success proves that.

Brunson is doing thibgs Dame could never do and Brunsons impact is getting noticed by those with half a brain.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM Forums mobile app

If the Blazers had played in the East then Dame could have led a 50 win pretender to defeat in the 2nd or 3rd round too. The only reason it's likely to be the 3rd round is due to injuries, etc. This Knicks team is a 2nd round out most years.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
Vampirate
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,721

Re: This Jalen Brunson season is better than any season from Kyrie, Dame, and who else? 

Post#182 » by Vampirate » Mon May 6, 2024 3:03 am

KnixtapeH20 wrote:
Vampirate wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:Brunson's season is better than any individual season Kyrie has ever had. Dame, I'm not sure. Kyrie though, 100%.

To truly enter Dame category he has to have a season average over 30 on basically the same efficiency with 7+ assists per game.

Dame last year averaged 32.1PPG on 20.7 shots with a 46.3/37.1/91.4 splits to go along with 7.3 assists

In 2019/20 he averaged 30 on 20.4 shots on 46.3/40.1/88.8 splits with 8 assists

I'm not saying he will or won't but Brunson needs to levels up more to match that.

Lol the blazers were AWFUL last season. Dame has always been one of my favorite players but he didn't lead his team to the playoffs. Weren't they like #15th overall last season?

You can't say Brunson needs to average over 30 to compare.

If the Knicks were ass in a season where Brunson averaged 30 on 47/40/88 with 7 assists why would you be blaming Brunson here?
Chokic
Senior
And1: 667

Post#183 » by Chokic » Mon May 6, 2024 3:20 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
cgf wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:
If I recall correctly, Kyrie was actually injured when Boston made those ECF runs. Terry Rozier was eating those minutes.

Boston made the ECF in '18 when Kyrie was injured. When Kyrie was healthy they went out in round 2 ('19). That's what I was getting at with my "took an ECF team to the 2nd round" comment. That was an ECF caliber team without Kyrie. The knicks missed the playoffs the year before getting Brunson.

Trae Young has made the ECF. I guess hes better than Kyrie.

What dumb logic. LOL

He is better than kyrie. Kyrie is overrated af.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,645

Post#184 » by azcatz11 » Mon May 6, 2024 3:52 am

Chuck Everett wrote:Brunson's season is better than any individual season Kyrie has ever had. Dame, I'm not sure. Kyrie though, 100%.

Kyrie could never handle the role that Brunson plays. He's too small and I think he would likely get injured. Brunson takes a serious beating every game but his frame is really perfect.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,189

Post#185 » by bstein14 » Mon May 6, 2024 4:08 am

players in NBA history to average 28.7+ PPG , 6.7+ APG, and 0.9 SPG in the regular season.
Jordon, Iverson, LeBron, Wade, Harden, Westbrook, Dame, Luka, Trae, and now Brunson.

Brunson and Dame are the only two players to put up those stats while shooting 40+% from deep. Brunson did it with the lowest amount of TOs of any player on the list. Brunson's +/- of +512 was also the 2nd highest of any player's season on the list behind only Lebron James' 09-10 MVP season.
bronxknicksfan1
Veteran
And1: 1,562

Post#186 » by bronxknicksfan1 » Mon May 6, 2024 4:10 am

One_and_Done wrote:
HMFFL wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:He's not better than peak Dame, he just plays in the East and has a solid team around him.
I have Damn as a third option now on a true championship team. During his peak I had him as a #2. He's not a #1 nor has he ever been. His lack of success proves that.

Brunson is doing thibgs Dame could never do and Brunsons impact is getting noticed by those with half a brain.

If the Blazers had played in the East then Dame could have led a 50 win pretender to defeat in the 2nd or 3rd round too. The only reason it's likely to be the 3rd round is due to injuries, etc. This Knicks team is a 2nd round out most years.

The Knicks are without their 2nd best player and are potentially on a ECF run. Injuries happen every playoffs. That’s a BS reason to downplay what’s going on.

I’m not putting Brunson over Dame because peak Dame was objectively better. We did witness Brunson’s potential to ascend to that level once RJ/IQ were traded and Randle went out. Can he do it for a whole season? Who knows. But if he gets to the ECF and potentially a Finals, conversations will be had.
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,025

Post#187 » by One_and_Done » Mon May 6, 2024 4:36 am

bronxknicksfan1 wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:
HMFFL wrote:I have Damn as a third option now on a true championship team. During his peak I had him as a #2. He's not a #1 nor has he ever been. His lack of success proves that.

The Knicks are without their 2nd best player and are potentially on a ECF run. Injuries happen every playoffs. That’s a BS reason to downplay what’s going on.

I’m not putting Brunson over Dame because peak Dame was objectively better. We did witness Brunson’s potential to ascend to that level once RJ/IQ were traded and Randle went out. Can he do it for a whole season? Who knows. But if he gets to the ECF and potentially a Finals, conversations will be had.

It's debatable how much Randle helps you at the highest levels in the playoffs.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,874

Post#188 » by cgf » Mon May 6, 2024 4:45 am

One_and_Done wrote:
bronxknicksfan1 wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:If the Blazers had played in the East then Dame could have led a 50 win pretender to defeat in the 2nd or 3rd round too. The only reason it's likely to be the 3rd round is due to injuries, etc. This Knicks team is a 2nd round out most years.

It's debatable how much Randle helps you at the highest levels in the playoffs.

It's debatable in that people debate it, but if you dig into it, you'll come to see that even though his ankle required surgery the Knicks were a decisively better team with Randle on the court than they were without him last spring...and Brunson in particular was massively improved by Julius taking some of the defensive attention.

Nevermind that Randle was playing the best basketball of his career before getting injured this season.

EDIT:
Read on Twitter
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 13,056

Post#189 » by Hello Brooklyn » Mon May 6, 2024 4:48 pm

Im Coming Home wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
Im Coming Home wrote:Image

Weve won a Championship more recently than the Knicks :lol:

Yeah and I won my hockey championship this year. It's just as relevant.

Dr J is better than anyone that has ever played for the Knicks. :lol:
TheGeneral99
Veteran
And1: 3,053

Post#190 » by TheGeneral99 » Mon May 6, 2024 4:53 pm

LaLover11 wrote:
uncleduck13 wrote:Safe to say Brunson has peaked higher than Kyrie and Dame. What other elite PGs have inferior peaks?
Where does this season rank historically from a PG?

When did Brunson play vs the 2016 73-9 Warriors team in the Finals and scored 41 pts vs a elite defense and unstoppable offense??

I must've missed that series

Brunson has to lot to prove, but it helped Kyrie that he played alongside the arguable GOAT in Lebron and another all-star caliber big in Kevin Love.

Let's look at Kyrie without Lebron:

Missed the playoffs from 2011-2013.

2019 Celtics - 21ppg, 7rpg and 4apg on 39%fg and 31%3fg (lost 4-1 to the Bucks) - had a very solid supporting cast with Tatum, Brown, Horford, Rozier, Smart etc. who actually played better with him.
2021 Nets - 23ppg, 6apg and 3rpg on 47%fg and 37%3fg (got hurt) - had KD.
2022 Nets - 21ppg, 5rpg and 5apg on 44%fg and 38%3fg (swept) - had KD.

Against Philly, Brunson was missing his all-star teammate in Randle, had a relatively average cast around him, and still dominated.

When Brunson was on the Mavs in 2022 they made the conference finals and he averaged 18ppg, 5apg and 4rpg on 47%fg and 40%3fg.

We've actually never seen Kyrie in the playoffs as the legit #1 option except in Boston, but he got hurt.

Return to The General Board