Official NBA Referee "Bashing" Thread

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,209

Post#161 » by UGA Hayes » Sat May 3, 2008 3:26 pm

I have a general question. How many FT does a team have to get before you say to yourself this is ridiculous. 25, 30, 40, 45? What is your own personal this is bs threshhold.
Texas Longhorns
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#162 » by Texas Longhorns » Sat May 3, 2008 5:05 pm

I think it would probably drive me crazy if it was in the 30-40 range. That's way too many for a team.
- Vince Young - Kevin Durant - LaMarcus Aldrige - T.J. Ford - D.J. Augustin
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,088

Post#163 » by High 5 » Sun May 4, 2008 12:29 am

It would be pretty frustrating if my team had to foul that much. Just play defense, guys!
Kobay
General Manager
And1: 5

Post#164 » by Kobay » Sun May 4, 2008 2:35 am

Well Boston did get off 15+ field goals more than ATL. They were bricking shots left and right and played hot potato in 4th. You can't bitch about the other team getting more fts when your bricking wide open jumpers and anticlutchness in 4th quarter.
Mr. Sun
General Manager
And1: 0

Post#165 » by Mr. Sun » Sun May 4, 2008 8:40 pm

Horrible refereeing of the Lakers/Jazz game. Makes it too painful to watch.

Ref's are charging Jazz players for having a pulse.
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#166 » by Liqourish » Mon May 5, 2008 12:08 am

Game one- Pistons hosting the Magic.

Keyon Dooling, guarded by Rodney Stuckey spins away from Stuckey and collides into Marcin Gortat, his own teammate. Rodney Stuckey was a good foot behind him when all of the contact happened.

Refs call a shooting foul on Rodney and send Keyon to the line to shoot two!! :nonono:

http://dimemag.com/2008/05/04/dime-smack-hornets-beat-spurs-game-1/

KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,454

Post#167 » by KF10 » Mon May 5, 2008 12:22 am

UGA Hayes wrote:I have a general question. How many FT does a team have to get before you say to yourself this is ridiculous. 25, 30, 40, 45? What is your own personal this is bs threshhold.

Over a year ago, probably one of the most intense games between the Kings/Lakers in 6 years since the classic 2002 WCF series.

Both teams were combined of 102 FTs attempts! The Kings were given an incredible 58 FTs attempts in contrast to the Lakers 44. The all time record of FTs attempts was 104. Just 2 short for the record.

The Kings lost in overtime. This is probably one of the best games (Despite so many whistles) between the Kings/Lakers in the past decade. I still remember this game like yesterday. *sighs*

This was also the first game when Charles Barkley actually called the game! Kerr was out. And this is also the game when Charles called out Bavetta for that infamous race... :lol:

Oh, by the way, in this game the officiating was BAD for BOTH teams...There was no favor regardless of how many FTs attempts...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_y ... 2007010423

(Part 1):
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Qb-j9rsKiOc&feature=related

(Part 2):
http://youtube.com/watch?v=q4E5wL11Gm0
Bucs80
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#168 » by Bucs80 » Mon May 5, 2008 3:27 am

Not trying to change the tread but being a ref must be the hardest thing in the world, no matter what you do somebody is going to be upset with you.
litex wrote:I'm pretty sure that, no matter what he does, Lebron will never have "tittles" like Shaquille O'Neal does, or for that matter, Chales Barkley.
aikgtd
Sophomore

Post#169 » by aikgtd » Tue May 6, 2008 2:57 am

That Pistons/Magic game was pretty odd with the whole shot clock issue.

Thanks 'Magz50'
Howard+Nelson
Sixth Man

Post#170 » by Howard+Nelson » Wed May 7, 2008 2:41 pm

The refs had to estimate it took about 2.+ secs from when the ball was first touched to when the ball was out of billups hands.. to include the time the ball was in the air after being shot from beyond the 3 point line till it went in the hoop. It would take a few secs to get in the hoop and then have .5 left on the clock. That decision is crazy to me when you take into account 3 passes and 2 dribbles were made.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,772

Post#171 » by Cammo101 » Wed May 14, 2008 5:30 am

Howard+Nelson wrote:The refs had to estimate it took about 2.+ secs from when the ball was first touched to when the ball was out of billups hands.. to include the time the ball was in the air after being shot from beyond the 3 point line till it went in the hoop. It would take a few secs to get in the hoop and then have .5 left on the clock. That decision is crazy to me when you take into account 3 passes and 2 dribbles were made.

Detroit getting every call is hardly new and hardly an isolated incident.
Jonathan Watters
Banned User

Post#172 » by Jonathan Watters » Wed May 14, 2008 5:41 am

Oh yeah, hardly new but never any less enfuriating. It actually wasn't so bad tonight except for that little matter of the first 6 minutes of the 4th quarter when Detroit was allowed to have its way with Orlando on the defensive end. The Rasheed Wallace hack on Howard was only the tip of the iceberg. I believe it was the next play that Detroit's "double team" of Rashard Lewis in the corner was so fierce that he somehow nearly fell out of bounds and barely got the ball back to the top of the key.

Which is all fine, except then they call a FREAKING TOUCH FOUL on Jameer Nelson 30 feet from the basket which put them in the bonus - and back up 8. Completely meaningless to the actual play, laughable compared to about 8 instances of more blatant contact on the prior posession at the other end of the floor, but worst of all an absolute back breaker for the Magic.

It I was Stan Van Gundy, I would have said some unfavorable things about the ref in the immediate vicinity's mother, and then walked off the court.

I want the MVP to be Chris Paul or Kobe Bryant, not the homecourt officiating. Sadly enough, as brilliant as CP3 has been, hes darn near irrelevant in the wake of Superstar Stripes.
Howard+Nelson
Sixth Man

Post#173 » by Howard+Nelson » Wed May 14, 2008 4:53 pm

the announcers would just say.. thats 3 steals in a row for rasheed. i'm thinking yea. 3 times in a row he reached across howards body..slapped his arm and in the process, knocked the ball away. and people talk about howard getting away with a lot. detroit was constantly reaching in and going over his back. i'm sure svg is going to isolate all this 'non calls' where we got hit and send a tape to league w/o getting any response back.
HarlemHeat37
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#174 » by HarlemHeat37 » Wed May 14, 2008 4:58 pm

I never knew Magic fans had reached Sun-level complaining..your team lost 4-1, the refs didn't affect the outcome of the series..blame your team for not being able to beat a team without their best player..
Jonathan Watters
Banned User

Post#175 » by Jonathan Watters » Wed May 14, 2008 4:59 pm

Howard+Nelson wrote:the announcers would just say.. thats 3 steals in a row for rasheed. i'm thinking yea. 3 times in a row he reached across howards body..slapped his arm and in the process, knocked the ball away. and people talk about howard getting away with a lot. detroit was constantly reaching in and going over his back. i'm sure svg is going to isolate all this 'non calls' where we got hit and send a tape to league w/o getting any response back.

Yes, the rough nature of the game favors Detroit. But that isn't even criminal. It is when Orlando can't play the same kind of defense on the other end.

Turkoglu gets killed for 5 seconds and can't even pass the ball he's getting hounded so bad. He practically has to run into Prince and the call was still late.

On the other end, Nelson barely even hand checks Stuckey, 30 feet from the basket, and refs think they need to "make up" the previous call because Detroit is the home team.

The fact that Detroit was in the bonus at that stage and Orlando wasn't is a complete joke. There's no other way around it, and it isn't a coincidence that the stretch where this was going on was the one stretch all game Orlando wasn't the better team.

The announcers can talk about how Nelson's foul was a foul, because technically it was. But it was an absolute farce in this game given what was going on on the other end.

I am 100% certain the league is directing announcers to use this strategy, because lots of times not even the announcers seem to believe what is coming out of their mouths.
HarlemHeat37
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#176 » by HarlemHeat37 » Wed May 14, 2008 5:02 pm

:( on behalf of the NBA..sorry guys..
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,209

Post#177 » by UGA Hayes » Wed May 14, 2008 6:19 pm

[quote="Jonathan Watters"][/quote]

I think you probably touched on what is the hardest thing for any far to accept and that is calls by reputation. We all know Kobe is going to get the benefit of the doubt on a missed layup, kirilinko on a blocked shot, Bowen on a defesive play etc.

Also I agree about the announcing thing whether game 4 of the Lakers/Jazz seies was called well or not one thing was Obvious Hubie Brown was going to defend the refs and I like Brown otherwise but it was becoming intolerabe the way he would call something right even with replay showing the refs were clearly wrong.
Texas Longhorns
Banned User

Post#178 » by Texas Longhorns » Wed May 14, 2008 6:59 pm

I wonder how they will choose the refs for the finals this year. They were bad in 2006 when Wade got away with those travels.
- Vince Young - Kevin Durant - LaMarcus Aldrige - T.J. Ford - D.J. Augustin
Batman1
Banned User

Post#179 » by Batman1 » Wed May 14, 2008 9:31 pm

Texas Longhorns wrote:I wonder how they will choose the refs for the finals this year. They were bad in 2006 when Wade got away with those travels.

Refs are going to do what David West I mean Stern, tells them to do. Sometimes I just see the game isn't being played right, actually many times in the 2008 playoffs we have seen everything be just horrible. Rockets vs. Jazz, Celtics vs. Hawks for example, officiating was just terrible, and the underdogs were getting abused bad. So yes I think Stern has a hand in the officiating, and I think the man needs to take a hick and get retire.
Train Wreck
Bench Warmer
And1: 40

Post#180 » by Train Wreck » Wed May 14, 2008 10:12 pm

Jonathan Watters wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Yes, the rough nature of the game favors Detroit. But that isn't even criminal. It is when Orlando can't play the same kind of defense on the other end.

Turkoglu gets killed for 5 seconds and can't even pass the ball he's getting hounded so bad. He practically has to run into Prince and the call was still late.

On the other end, Nelson barely even hand checks Stuckey, 30 feet from the basket, and refs think they need to "make up" the previous call because Detroit is the home team.

The fact that Detroit was in the bonus at that stage and Orlando wasn't is a complete joke. There's no other way around it, and it isn't a coincidence that the stretch where this was going on was the one stretch all game Orlando wasn't the better team.

The announcers can talk about how Nelson's foul was a foul, because technically it was. But it was an absolute farce in this game given what was going on on the other end.

I am 100% certain the league is directing announcers to use this strategy, because lots of times not even the announcers seem to believe what is coming out of their mouths.

There were plenty of bad calls against the Pistons in this series...

Prince posted up Nelson twice early in the series where Nelson had no chance in hell to guard him so he flopped to the ground and Prince was called for a foul. I realize that Prince is built like a tank :roll: but god you'd think Nelson had gotten shot.

Stuckey got called for ticky tack touch fouls all damn series (Including one where 2 Orlando players ran into each other) so I don't even want to hear about Nelson getting called for a foul 30 feet away from the basket..

I'm not sure how long you've watched basketball but the Refs always allow more contact in the paint than they do on the perimeter...

It's not that the Refs favor Detroit, its that Detroit knows what playoff basketball is all about... (Along with San Antonio, Cleveland, and a few others)

The free throws were similar in this series... Detroit just happened to make their's

Return to The General Board