Report: Redick the favorite to become Lakers coach

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

levon
RealGM
And1: 23,504

Re: Report: Redick the favorite to become Lakers coach 

Post#141 » by levon » Fri May 17, 2024 12:31 am

Roger Murdock wrote:
levon wrote:
Roger Murdock wrote:
Ok fair. Their best player is extremely old, their second best player is chronically injured and on the back third of his career, and the rest of their team isn’t good.

Their best player is AD now, and he's played 104 of his last 111 games. That's nearly 94% of games. He's been one of the healthiest superstars in the last two seasons. He was "chronically" injured in 2021 and 2022 when he came off zero offseasons. Do you see why this reads like a post from 2022?

But even if I accept what you're saying, which of the other open NBA coaching positions is more appealing? It's not exactly a buyer's market.

Very valid that there’s not many options

Yeah, rumors are he turned down a Charlotte offer. I think he'd much rather flame out in a high profile way than be on a rebuild treadmill team, because he's got the media career as a safety net.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 23,108

Post#142 » by dhsilv2 » Fri May 17, 2024 12:55 am

JRoy wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:I don't like losing Redick as a media guy...I don't see the upside for him.

Side bet;

Reddick gets canned after one year and his contract doesn’t include non disclosure and he spills the beans about the whole sorry mess after he gets canned.

Sounds very possible and I hate that. I don't want Reddick talking about the lakers anymore that needed.
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 384

Post#143 » by WentzerWuver » Fri May 17, 2024 4:41 am

The Explorer wrote:Redick is a Klutch friend. With Rich Paul and James as the lead decision makers, I don't see anyone other than Redick getting the job.
Then you just haven't been keeping up with the Lakers. Cassell and Borrego are very much in the running and most likely get the nod over "I never coached in my life" JJ.

Sam Cassell has been an assistant coach for almost 15 years while Borrego learned under Pop for almost 25 years with 2 championships! Both has earned their stripes for a chance to be the next Ty Lue unlike JJ with 0 coaching experience at ANY level hasn't done squat. If he had the passion for coaching, he would have put in the work!

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5492271/2024/05/14/lakers-coach-update-jj-redick-james-borrego-sam-cassell/

I give the nod to Sam I am cause Ty Lue was his mentor and is currently an assistant for the superteam C's while JJ comes across as a know it all that would scream at his players for minor mistakes as they will all tune him out before the ASG when he get his walking papers with a big contract in his pocket.

https://youtu.be/WLEPPFxd2Zk?si=dZkqwO1yyOgVzFff

Do the right thing Lakers!
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 384

Post#144 » by WentzerWuver » Fri May 17, 2024 4:57 am

dhsilv2 wrote:
JRoy wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:I don't like losing Redick as a media guy...I don't see the upside for him.

Side bet;

Reddick gets canned after one year and his contract doesn’t include non disclosure and he spills the beans about the whole sorry mess after he gets canned.

Sounds very possible and I hate that. I don't want Reddick talking about the lakers anymore that needed.
He will blame the Lakers for firing him on his podcast and you know it!
Handlez
Junior
And1: 676

Post#145 » by Handlez » Fri May 17, 2024 4:58 am

I think Redick could be a great coach, but seemingly he'd want a different situation.

But he may make more as coach of the Lakers than he did playing, so that's a big incentive.
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,730

Post#146 » by shi-woo » Fri May 17, 2024 5:56 am

It's crazy to think outside of that one magical bubble year, this Lakers franchise has been a joke for almost a decade now.

Funny how you don't even see Magic anymore.

They honestly sold there soul to the devil (LeBron)

I just don't see JJ working out, especially in LA. There are dudes on that roster outside of LeBron who have played against him, he's not removed enough from his playing days to be considered as a serious coach for any team that isn't just starting the process out.

It's like working for a manager that is younger than you, and in the case of LeBron that's true. I get 2nd Row Joe and Hardy are that age too, but those guys are legit coaches, not recent players who are bored. Once LeBron leaves i'd question whether or not his players would actually respect him knowing he's just the coaches son.

Low key too, I think his ego is ridiculous right now. He's on top of the basketball world, and thinks he can do anything. Theres been a few times on the broadcast where he's even told Doris fing Burks off. I don't think he would do well with the pressure to preform right now, and he's esentially just tying his horse to LeBron to help a buddy out.

I could be wrong, JJ signs, and a magical Gasol for Kwame trade happens to ease the burden, but I don't think it will.

I expect better from the Lakers
ChartFiction
Starter
And1: 2,810

Post#147 » by ChartFiction » Fri May 17, 2024 6:22 am

I like watching some of his podcast interviews, but nothing Reddick has said in them ever made me think he'll be a good coach.

Him and LeBron have a good relationship so maybe that alone will lead to more collaboration though and be a net positive.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,658

Post#148 » by JRoy » Fri May 17, 2024 7:03 am

WentzerWuver wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
JRoy wrote:
Side bet;

He will blame the Lakers for firing him on his podcast and you know it!

Exactly.

He will crap all over everything and never have a job in an nba office again.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Deivork
Starter
And1: 1,886

Post#149 » by Deivork » Fri May 17, 2024 10:35 am

I guess money and experience. But yeah i hate to lose him too. A HC chance might come once in a lifetime. The media thing he can always come back to it, I guess.
Rust_Cohle
Starter
And1: 2,265

Post#150 » by Rust_Cohle » Fri May 17, 2024 1:33 pm

TheFire wrote:It is because of things like this why Lebron will never be my GOAT.

LeGM sucks
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,389

Post#151 » by BDM22 » Fri May 17, 2024 1:36 pm

We're gonna lose Inside the NBA and all of JJ's NBA content in one offseason, aren't we?
jkvonny
Head Coach
And1: 5,906

Post#152 » by jkvonny » Wed May 29, 2024 10:55 pm

Congrats to the Lakers and their fans.

:thumbsup:

Return to The General Board