Jokic is not the best in the world, and has been heavily overrated (NOW YOU CAN CHANGE VOTES)

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Has Jokic been overrated?

Yes
18%
No
82%

Total votes: 663

NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 8,133

Re: Jokic is not the best in the world, and has been heavily overrated 

Post#1061 » by NZB2323 » Mon May 20, 2024 4:36 pm

One_and_Done wrote:
Wallace_Wallace wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:Duncan met or exceeded expectations every year of his prime (from 98 to 07). Jokic has not. This was a big fail.

Didn’t Dirk Nowitzki went to his house and stole game 7 in 2006 as well as closing another series in 2009 (vise versa, Duncan got him a couple times as well)? Respect both of them as much as anyone in history, but everyone has failed at some point.

Duncan had a worse support cast in 06, and would have won if not for Manu fouling on the final play. Duncan went into God mode that series, he wasn't to blame. 09 Duncan wasn't in his prime any more.

Are you saying Duncan had a worse supporting cast than Dirk or Duncan had a worse supporting cast than Jokic?

Either way, I’m not sure that’s true with him having Ginobili and Parker.
lessthanjake
Sixth Man
And1: 1,461

Post#1062 » by lessthanjake » Mon May 20, 2024 4:59 pm

DimesandKnicks wrote:
Teams target Embiid in the playoffs a lot too, for the same reason—putting him in tons of actions to tire him out. This is just smart basketball.

I just watched a 7 game series against the 76ers and this wasn’t a thing. Even on a surgically repaired knee the Knicks weren’t attacking Embiid in PNR and late in the game they would bring one of their guards to screen. Should also be mentioned that there’s a difference between running pnr to hunt the other teams worse defender ala Steph and having your big set a screen just to initiate the pnr action.

You might want to watch what happened in last year’s playoffs, where Embiid was mercilessly hunted. It happens a lot. If you can’t see that, then that’s on you. And by the way, it works. Do you think Jokic would have taken so many threes in Game 7 if the Timberwolves left him alone more when they were on offense? Of course not. They purposely wore him down.

Yep, Jokic’s shot defense isn’t good. But the vast majority of the rest of his defense is really good, and so the overall package is good. And you seem to be arguing with that premise. Or maybe you’re not? If your only position is that Jokic’s shot defense isn’t good but he’s still a good (but not elite) defender, then I don’t think we disagree.

How tf can you be a good defender and be bad at “shot defense” (and I’m not using this term anymore because it isn’t a term, it’s called defense). What is the rest of this defense? Him “being where he’s suppose to be”? Oh my big pat on the back for making your rotation (which is really a product of good coaching, everyone on that team makes good rotations) but when you get there you’re still can’t defend. Him having good hands and feet doesn’t make up for him being a **** rim protector, being a **** post defender, not being able to defend on an island.

You just have a hopelessly simplistic view of defense. If Jokic has a positive defensive impact (which he demonstrably does), then yes, his defensive positives do “make up for” his defensive negatives.

If your teams “defense” is scheming to protect your deficiencies, he isn’t a good defender. Jokic has major flaws in his game and it’s on the other side of the ball.

Umm, defenses scheme to protect everyone’s negatives. There’s always mismatches of some sort on the floor, even if you created a roster of the best defenders in NBA history. And you always scheme to protect your team against those. These are silly criticisms, that sound like things we’d hear from people babbling on ESPN.

I’m not going to go down a rabbit hole about Steph’s defense, because that’s a whole can of worms, but what I’ll say is that it certainly was an example of teams “hunting” Steph even though it demonstrably did not work very well for their offense. It doesn’t really matter if you think that it didn’t work because of Steph’s man defense or something else. The reality is that it wasn’t successful for the teams that did it. Why would they keep bashing their head against a wall on offense doing something that didn’t work well? It was clearly because the strategy was less about their offense and more about helping their defense, because their defense needed a tired Steph.

Speaking with so much authority on why the Lebron was hunting a 6’3 pg in the final minutes of the playoffs is just strange. Clearly ?! Stephen Curry isn’t some lumpy seven foot oof. He’s a lean 6”3 guard whose game evolves around running around on offense all game. This is just a stupid take.

I promise you that LeBron would say the same thing. This isn’t some random theory I’ve come up with. It’s just conventional wisdom. It’s just bizarre to try to fight this concept. And this is even more important in “the final minutes,” because those are the times where the guy is most likely to become fatigued and when reducing the guy’s offensive potential is most important.

So your position is that the 2007 Cavs were filled with “scrubs” because, even though they played historically elite defense such that it is clearly ridiculous to call them “scrubs,” they didn’t play as good of defense in 2006 and therefore they must’ve been “scrubs” in 2007? How does that make any sense whatsoever? The 2007 Cavs and 2006 Cavs were not the same team. Players play better or worse year to year. For instance, Varejao was by all accounts one of the best defenders in the NBA in 2007. But he was early in his career and didn’t play very much in 2006. He was a better player and played more in 2007. That was a big deal. Furthermore, supporting casts gel together more or less year to year—which is particularly important on defense, which is so dependent on how the team plays as a unit. Basketball is a team game, not a game where you just sum up the parts to get how good the whole is. The supporting cast as a whole gelled together a lot better defensively in 2007 than they did in 2006. How does that somehow mean that they were “scrubs” in 2007? It’s just totally non-sensical.

The bottom line is that LeBron had one of the best supporting casts in history defensively in 2007. Whether you think that they lacked “talent” by your definition and/or if you think their ability to play great defense was caused as much by Mike Brown as by their individual talent is essentially irrelevant. They played historically elite defense. And a set of players that plays historically elite defense is essentially definitionally not a supporting cast of “scrubs.” Scrubs are players that do not play well. And that is simply not an accurate way of describing the 2007 Cavs.

If you have some different definition of the word “scrub” that somehow doesn’t preclude it from including supporting casts that play well, then I guess you can call the 2007 Cavs supporting cast “scrubs,” but at that point you’ve defined the term in a way that makes your conclusion meaningless.

I’m aware that someone can be a talented defender. Where were the talented defenders in this team? Pre-retired Eric Snow? The overrated Larry Hughes who gambled on passing lanes during a contract year to boost his stats resulting in the only year here ever got all Defensive consideration while not elevating his teams actual defense? Not to mention he was so bad of an offensive player that fans made a website for him begging him not to shoot. And regardless. If the word scrubs bothers you than he carried a group of role players to the finals. And the year prior he took last years Easter champions to seven games with the same roster.

Replace Lebron with Paul Piece/vice versa and the Celtics are getting to the second round of playoffs while the Celtics are making it to the lottery.

Who were the talented defenders on this team, you ask? Well, how about essentially all the guys on the court making the team a historically elite defense? If you play historically elite defense, then you are a talented defender, unless you’re just defining “talent” so narrowly that it becomes a meaningless concept (which I think is what you’re doing—just like you define “defense” so narrowly as to make it not include Jokic’s strengths).

If you want to call them role players instead, then that’s fine. Scrubs and role players are two very different things. These were role players who played their role quite well. Of course, I still would say LeBron did not “carry” them, since, as I’ve pointed out, they got to the Finals on the back of their greatness on a side of the ball that LeBron was just a cog in rather than the driving force (while they did badly in the playoffs on the side of the ball LeBron was the driving force behind). That said, do I think they’d have made the Finals without LeBron? No. So, if you define being a but-for cause of a team’s advancement as “carrying” the team, then sure. But essentially every finalist in NBA history wouldn’t have made the Finals without their biggest star, so that’s just defining “carry” in a meaninglessly broad way.

As for Paul Pierce, I wouldn’t be so sure about that. They probably could’ve played essentially just as good of defense with Pierce. Meanwhile, there’s little reason to believe Paul Pierce was an inferior offensive player that year. Indeed, while the Celtics had an awful offense overall, the Celtics with Pierce on the floor that season scored more efficiently than the Cavaliers with LeBron on the floor! Which is perhaps why Paul Pierce that year had a better ORAPM than LeBron, similar O-EPM, etc. And Pierce wouldn’t even have had to make their offense good to make the Finals, since those Cavs made the Finals with a bad defense as it was. And they did so fairly easily, so they could’ve made the Finals with a decently worse defense. The only real question IMO is just if Pierce would’ve integrated as well into their defense, but of course we know he integrated very well into an all-time offense the next year, so I think he would’ve. But maybe carrying the load on offense would’ve limited him defensively. I tend to think those Cavs could’ve made the Finals with Paul Pierce though. And that really shouldn’t seem ridiculous to you, because the 2007 Cavs defense was simply that good, combined with the East being that weak.
OhayoKD wrote:Lebron contributes more to all the phases of play than Messi does. And he is of course a defensive anchor unlike messi.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 12,001

Post#1063 » by nikster » Mon May 20, 2024 5:40 pm

hardenASG13 wrote:
nikster wrote:
hardenASG13 wrote:
Murray had 35 last night.....does he need to put up 45 like in the bubble? Their losses in the series weren't particularly close. If this loss doesn't show you how easy it was last year, maybe I'm not the one clouded by bias? I'm not diminishing Minnesota, and have said since mid season they were better than anyone Denver beat last season. They showed it. Don't act like they're some historical Juggernaut though. They are a quality contender, unlike anyone Denver beat last season. GOATs have to beat quality contenders, repeatedly. Jokic has done so once if you want to say the much accomplished clippers were that.

He put up good numbers, as expected, yes. And I've said he's one of if not the best player currently in the NBA. But this era from 2021-present has lacked proven stars or teams. Last year's playoffs were extremely weak, and posting a bunch of his numbers doesn't erase what the eye test has told me, that ive been slammed for saying all season, in that he has some flaws that happened to get exposed against the first quality opponent he faced in the past two seasons. Not exposed in the sense that he's not great, but in that he isn't playing like one of or the best player ever as many here have pounded about all season.

You reference a few Finals losses by Lebron and Magic, and some early career losses by MJ. Finals losses are one thing. How many times did those guys lose in the second round with home court against a team making it's second round debut? As far as MJ, those were early in his career. Jokic turns 30 next season.

One game does not make a series. Murray averaged 16 points on 45TS% the other 6 games. For a #2 that doesn't provide much on defense that is absolutely brutal.

But yeah, his flaws were exposed when he has still looked like the best player in the post season by a fairly large margin against the best defense in the league.

How many times of those guys have supporting casts like this? What's the best team Magic beat without prime Kareem or Worthy? How many quality teams did Lebron beat without a superteam by the age of 30?

But, again, his supporting cast was more than good enough last season. They lost Bruce Brown. It speaks to how weak it was last year, I don't see any way around that. You don't have to buy the "narrative" that it was an easy path, the results speak for themselves when they faced a quality opponent, better than any they faced last season, they lost in embarrassing fashion.

Maybe Murray/the supporting cast didn't play as well because......they were playing against an actual good team. I don't know that Murray playing a little better has them winning, either, the losses weren't particularly close. They lost 3 games on their homecourt, in the second round. They never played a team that was capable of pushing them last year.

Lebron beat the 07 pistons. It's not a long list, I'll give you that, but it's still better than anything Jokic has done, and Lebron had a worse supporting cast. He was then on superteams, yes. And was facing teams like Boston, OKC, Dallas, San Antonio, Golden State who were miles better than any teams currently in the NBA, especially the past few years when Jokic has emerged.

I don't think Jokic looked like the best player in the post season by a fairly large margin. AD went toe to toe with him, and he had 2 MVP level games out of 7 vs. Minnesota. It wasn't like, say Lebron in 2009 when he lost to Orlando. Jokic lacked as a leader in these playoffs, his lack of rim protection and stamina was a legitimate problem. They lost 3 home games vs. a lower seed. I've been told repeatedly that Jokic has another gear and can carry his team when needed (something I've routinely questioned) and I didn't really see that, outside those two games. His game is great, but I didn't see this mythical level he's capable of getting to when his teammates struggle. What'd he do to inspire confidence in the second half last night? He basically plays his same game, where he'd rather pass than shoot. He doesn't face up his defender much at all, and I've seen plenty of historical greats be able to control and break down a defense more effectively, because their games were more diverse. This is nitpicking, of course, but he's had some extremely lofty comparisons on here due to last years easy run. I didn't see it.

Is Murray the same player he was last post season? If you honestly think was all a result of Minnesotas defense you haven't been watching him play. Or if you want to look at stats go the Lakers series, same team he played last year but this year he had 46.8TS%.

Jokic took 28 shots in game 7. Sure he didn't shoot well enough but why are you acting like he wasn't looking to score? You have a weird view of leadership, every player he has played would say he's a great leader and makes them bigger. Can also nitpick so many greats for having a less diverse offensive game than Joker.

And totally disagree on AD playing as well as Jokic. Slightly better scoring and rebounding while being on a completely other tier as a playmaker (playing with another all time great play maker is the only time AD has had post season success). ADs the better defender but not much good that does when you can't prevent Jokic from scoring or picking apart the defense.
hardenASG13
Analyst
And1: 1,455

Post#1064 » by hardenASG13 » Mon May 20, 2024 5:56 pm

nikster wrote:
hardenASG13 wrote:
nikster wrote:One game does not make a series. Murray averaged 16 points on 45TS% the other 6 games. For a #2 that doesn't provide much on defense that is absolutely brutal.

But yeah, his flaws were exposed when he has still looked like the best player in the post season by a fairly large margin against the best defense in the league.

How many times of those guys have supporting casts like this? What's the best team Magic beat without prime Kareem or Worthy? How many quality teams did Lebron beat without a superteam by the age of 30?

But, again, his supporting cast was more than good enough last season. They lost Bruce Brown. It speaks to how weak it was last year, I don't see any way around that. You don't have to buy the "narrative" that it was an easy path, the results speak for themselves when they faced a quality opponent, better than any they faced last season, they lost in embarrassing fashion.

Maybe Murray/the supporting cast didn't play as well because......they were playing against an actual good team. I don't know that Murray playing a little better has them winning, either, the losses weren't particularly close. They lost 3 games on their homecourt, in the second round. They never played a team that was capable of pushing them last year.

Lebron beat the 07 pistons. It's not a long list, I'll give you that, but it's still better than anything Jokic has done, and Lebron had a worse supporting cast. He was then on superteams, yes. And was facing teams like Boston, OKC, Dallas, San Antonio, Golden State who were miles better than any teams currently in the NBA, especially the past few years when Jokic has emerged.

I don't think Jokic looked like the best player in the post season by a fairly large margin. AD went toe to toe with him, and he had 2 MVP level games out of 7 vs. Minnesota. It wasn't like, say Lebron in 2009 when he lost to Orlando. Jokic lacked as a leader in these playoffs, his lack of rim protection and stamina was a legitimate problem. They lost 3 home games vs. a lower seed. I've been told repeatedly that Jokic has another gear and can carry his team when needed (something I've routinely questioned) and I didn't really see that, outside those two games. His game is great, but I didn't see this mythical level he's capable of getting to when his teammates struggle. What'd he do to inspire confidence in the second half last night? He basically plays his same game, where he'd rather pass than shoot. He doesn't face up his defender much at all, and I've seen plenty of historical greats be able to control and break down a defense more effectively, because their games were more diverse. This is nitpicking, of course, but he's had some extremely lofty comparisons on here due to last years easy run. I didn't see it.

Is Murray the same player he was last post season? If you honestly think was all a result of Minnesotas defense you haven't been watching him play. Or if you want to look at stats go the Lakers series, same team he played last year but this year he had 46.8TS%.

Jokic took 28 shots in game 7. Sure he didn't shoot well enough but why are you acting like he wasn't looking to score? You have a weird view of leadership, every player he has played would say he's a great leader and makes them bigger. Can also nitpick so many greats for having a less diverse offensive game than Joker.

And totally disagree on AD playing as well as Jokic. Slightly better scoring and rebounding while being on a completely other tier as a playmaker (playing with another all time great play maker is the only time AD has had post season success). ADs the better defender but not much good that does when you can't prevent Jokic from scoring or picking apart the defense.

No I don't think Murray was as good this year, that was pretty clear. I do wonder if he would've been as good as he was last year against better competition though. That's it.

I know he took 28 shots, and was trying to score. That's my point. It's not his game. It didn't work. That's what happens in long playoff series vs. good teams. They took him away as a playmaking, DHO hub, which is what he wants to be, and when it came time to take over as a scorer, he wasn't comfortable or successful. We didn't get to see this scenario last year because of the weak competition.

As far as AD. I'm not here to argue AD vs. Jokic, and would say Jokic is currently the better player, but they were very similar in scoring and rebounding. Jokic had more assists as Denver functions best with him as the main passer and a DHO hub. AD was better defensively. It was close, close enough where I'd say Jokic wasn't the best player in the playoffs by a good amount. Hell, Edwards came through just as much so far and had his teammates respond to his energy and confidence (which matters alot as a tone setter in basketball). I'm not interested in advanced stats rating systems, I know who I'd prefer in a big game and it's not Jokic, certainly not by a good margin.
nikster
RealGM

Post#1065 » by nikster » Mon May 20, 2024 6:27 pm

hardenASG13 wrote:
nikster wrote:
hardenASG13 wrote:

No I don't think Murray was as good this year, that was pretty clear. I do wonder if he would've been as good as he was last year against better competition though. That's it.

I know he took 28 shots, and was trying to score. That's my point. It's not his game. It didn't work. That's what happens in long playoff series vs. good teams. They took him away as a playmaking, DHO hub, which is what he wants to be, and when it came time to take over as a scorer, he wasn't comfortable or successful. We didn't get to see this scenario last year because of the weak competition.

As far as AD. I'm not here to argue AD vs. Jokic, and would say Jokic is currently the better player, but they were very similar in scoring and rebounding. Jokic had more assists as Denver functions best with him as the main passer and a DHO hub. AD was better defensively. It was close, close enough where I'd say Jokic wasn't the best player in the playoffs by a good amount. Hell, Edwards came through just as much so far and had his teammates respond to his energy and confidence (which matters alot as a tone setter in basketball). I'm not interested in advanced stats rating systems, I know who I'd prefer in a big game and it's not Jokic, certainly not by a good margin.

So he "basically played his same game" preferring to pass but also claiming Minnesota forced him into a different game of scoring more? Btw he took 25 or more field goal attempts 5 times last post season and did very well in those games. His main struggles as a scorer last night came from the 3 point line where he was largely getting good looks he normally hits.

And lmao at Ant playing a similar level. Non refutable claims about energy because you prefer his demeanor and style of play. 6 of 24 in game 7 but he acts confident so you'd prefer him in a game 7. What nonsense
hardenASG13
Analyst

Post#1066 » by hardenASG13 » Mon May 20, 2024 7:05 pm

nikster wrote:
hardenASG13 wrote:
nikster wrote:Is Murray the same player he was last post season? If you honestly think was all a result of Minnesotas defense you haven't been watching him play. Or if you want to look at stats go the Lakers series, same team he played last year but this year he had 46.8TS%.

So he "basically played his same game" preferring to pass but also claiming Minnesota forced him into a different game of scoring more? Btw he took 25 or more field goal attempts 5 times last post season and did very well in those games. His main struggles as a scorer last night came from the 3 point line where he was largely getting good looks he normally hits.

And lmao at Ant playing a similar level. Non refutable claims about energy because you prefer his demeanor and style of play. 6 of 24 in game 7 but he acts confident so you'd prefer him in a game 7. What nonsense

His same game refers to how he wants to play. And it can work against the weak competition he had last year. But when it's no longer working superstars need to take over as scorers when they actually get against a good team, because good teams take away what you want in a long series. There are plenty of guys who can take over scoring as effectively as Jokic. They're also better defensively for the most part.

As far as Edwards, if you've ever coached or been on a basketball team, you'd know that your best players energy and confidence have a huge effect on the rest of the team. Especially in a big game 7. Edwards had a bad game shooting, but stayed poised and kept his swagger. When he started to get going in the third his team followed suit. It made a difference. He played great Defense on Murray and had a good game despite the shooting struggles. Guy has blown up for multiple big nights already this playoffs and just eliminated Jokic on his home court with a 20 point second half lead. Jokic was relegated to more of an iso scorer and perimeter shooter, and couldn't deliver.
nikster
RealGM

Post#1067 » by nikster » Mon May 20, 2024 7:17 pm

hardenASG13 wrote:
nikster wrote:
hardenASG13 wrote:

His same game refers to how he wants to play. And it can work against the weak competition he had last year. But when it's no longer working superstars need to take over as scorers when they actually get against a good team, because good teams take away what you want in a long series. There are plenty of guys who can take over scoring as effectively as Jokic. They're also better defensively for the most part.

As far as Edwards, if you've ever coached or been on a basketball team, you'd know that your best players energy and confidence have a huge effect on the rest of the team. Especially in a big game 7. Edwards had a bad game shooting, but stayed poised and kept his swagger. When he started to get going in the third his team followed suit. It made a difference. He played great Defense on Murray and had a good game despite the shooting struggles. Guy has blown up for multiple big nights already this playoffs and just eliminated Jokic on his home court with a 20 point second half lead. Jokic was relegated to more of an iso scorer and perimeter shooter, and couldn't deliver.

As long as Edwards has swagger who cares how he plays offensively. He really "started to get going" in the 3rd shooting 4-9 and followed that up with a 3 points on 8 shots in the 4th. Jokic scored 14 in the 4th but his lack of swag really held back his teammates. Makes a lot of sense
Infinite Llamas
General Manager
And1: 21,790

Re: Jokic is not the best in the world, and has been heavily overrated (NOW YOU CAN CHANGE VOTES) 

Post#1068 » by Infinite Llamas » Mon May 20, 2024 8:12 pm

Swagger theory died with Nick Young.

Pretty sure Minnesota won with defense and crashing the glass. Neither of which has anything to do with swagger.

At the very least, Edwards going 6-24 spared us from a plethora of empty calorie Edwards threads so there is that.
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
Sidthekid87
Sixth Man
And1: 3,007

Post#1069 » by Sidthekid87 » Mon May 20, 2024 8:41 pm

SpurNani wrote:
Doug_12 wrote:
SpurNani wrote:
Jokic is 2018 James Harden, who happened to have the benefit of the weakest Championship run in the playoffs in nba history.

All time Great offensive talent, 0 defender. Be happy he got a free run to a title last year. The Best player in the world moniker is gone.

It's extremely hard to win in the NBA without All-NBA (or at least All-Star) or All-Defensive team level teammates. The last who did this (before Jokic) was Dirk in 2011. His impact is close to pre-Heatles James', who made Mo Williams & co contenders.

So Jamal Murray and Aaron Gordon are the equivalent of Mo Williams, Boobie Gibson and Big Z.

Got it. You Jok fans are insufferable. I hope you all hold that L close to your hearts all offseason. You all deserved it for all the despicable hyperbolic statements made about Jokic this year after an absolute cakewalk to a finals last year.

Yes, they are very similar. What makes you guys so obsessed with the Nuggets supporting cast I don't understand? Aaron Gordon is a good role player, Jamal is a one dimensional inconsistent scoring guard, mpj is a streaky shooter and KCP is a dime a dozen 3 and d player. Every other playoff team in the league this year has a stronger supporting cast around their guy.
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 9,106

Post#1070 » by AleksandarN » Mon May 20, 2024 9:37 pm

hardenASG13 wrote:
AleksandarN wrote:
AleksandarN wrote:Yes because through the first two games of this series he wasn’t playing like him. I have no problems criticizing him when he is playing bad. I will praise when him when he plays great.

Hey HardenASG where you at bro?

Oh I'm here, and have been all season.

Ok I finally found the reply. I am glad you are here let’s talk hoops. Jokic played much better than the first two games of the series. Jokic is the best player in the league so my expectations reflect that. I don’t mind praising him, defending him and criticizing him.
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,040

Post#1071 » by One_and_Done » Mon May 20, 2024 11:22 pm

Wallace_Wallace wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:
Ssj16 wrote:
The good ole "make excuses for one team but ignore excuses for another team" reasoning.

This is why I can't take a poster like you serious when there is clear bias.

But enjoy tearing down Denver.

It's called context.

I honestly don’t understand the context you’re referring to. Duncan/Parker/Ginobili/Finley/Bowen/Oberto/Horry won the title the very next year (controversial with the Suns series but I’ll ignore it). They swapped Nazr Mohammed with Francisco Nelson in 2006-2007, but I can assure you he’s not that big of a deal; the Mohammed/Oberto/Duncan rotation was enough to beat the Pistons who had Rasheed Wallace/Ben Wallace/Antonio McDyess the year prior, credit to Horry and Ginobili who went bonkers in crucial moments.

It’s okay, players failed expectations all the time. Nowitzki failed throughout the 2000’s because never really had a real #2 post Steve Nash just like Nikola Jokic (Jamal Murray and Jason Terry just aren’t at that level). I’m sure Dirk would love have Parker/Ginobili instead of Terry/Howard, but that’s what made his title run in 2011 that much better.

By the way, you said when Duncan and the Spurs lost to Dirk and the Mavs in 2009, Duncan was no longer in his prime. Duncan was 32 at the time, the same age Dirk Nowitzki went on the title in 2011. Does that mean Nikola Jokic’s prime is over in less than 3 years? The Spurs were one of the premier franchises who preserved their players at a very conservative pace; Duncan aged very gracefully.

This isn’t that complex.

1) Players don’t all enter or exit their primes at the same time. For example, Nash had a late prime (due to how he was used in part). Duncan entered his prime in his rookie year, making the all-nba 1st team, was the best player in the NBA by year 2, and the last year of his prime was 07. After that, injuries started to impact him significantly. He got slowly worse until 2012, when he slimmed down in order to take the weight off his knees. From 2012-15 he was probably better than he was in 2009-11. That doesn’t mean he was equally good every single year of that prime, that’s a player’s peak. Duncan’s peak was 02 and 03. That said, he was remarkably consistent; statistically and otherwise. In 04 Duncan suffered from plantar fasciitis, and after that was never quite at his peak again. He was basically 90-95% as good from that injury in 04 to 07 to these eyes.

2) This may come as a shock to you, but players other than Duncan can play better and worse. This includes his supporting cast, who played worse in 06 than 05 or 07. That’s not exactly a shock in some of their cases, Horry for example was a pretty inconsistent player. Dynamite when he was “on”, much less so when he wasn’t. In 06 the Spurs support cast didn’t play quite as well. There were reasons for this. For one thing, Dallas matched up really well with them. They had a tonne of size, and Pop was forced to play 4 guard size players next to Duncan because the other bigs on the team weren’t bringing it. As you should know, sometimes a team is less “talented” but the fit is better. The Mavs fit in 2006 was a tough match-up for the Spurs. Josh Howard was an all-star 3 back then, and between him and borderline all-star talent Terry, the Mavs had a 2nd and 3rd player comparable to Duncan’s own. They were also starting two 7 footers next to their all-star 3. That was a lot of size. Between that and the fact they went about 10 deep, the Spurs had an unfavourable match up. 6-7 wing Bruce Bowen was asked to guard 7-0 Dirk, and outside the Spurs big 3 the other Spurs didn’t have a lot of weapons to fire. The Spurs also just didn’t bring it quite as much in 06. By ‘the Spurs’, I mean Duncan’s support cast. Duncan himself went berserk to the tune of 32-12-4-3 on 556 FG%, which is why they almost won anyway, and were literally one bad foul by Manu from winning. All Manu has to do is let Dirk take an uncontested dunk, and the Spurs win. Manu has spoken about how he tormented himself all offseason as a result of his dumb decision. There is absolutely no way I can put that loss on Duncan.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
srhcan
Veteran
And1: 1,768

Re: Jokic is not the best in the world, and has been heavily overrated (NOW YOU CAN CHANGE VOTES) 

Post#1072 » by srhcan » Tue May 21, 2024 12:01 am

Looks like he will not crack the top 5 all-time Centers list (Kareem, Bill, Wilt, Hakeem, Shaq).
Special_Puppy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,125

Post#1073 » by Special_Puppy » Tue May 21, 2024 12:26 am

People blaming Jokic for the Nuggets losing that series are arguing in bad faith. +5.7 prior EPM in that series. +6.7 over the past 5 games. His supporting cast just let him down
hardenASG13
Analyst

Post#1074 » by hardenASG13 » Tue May 21, 2024 1:00 am

AleksandarN wrote:
hardenASG13 wrote:
AleksandarN wrote:
Hey HardenASG where you at bro?

Ok I finally found the reply. I am glad you are here let’s talk hoops. Jokic played much better than the first two games of the series. Jokic is the best player in the league so my expectations reflect that. I don’t mind praising him, defending him and criticizing him.

I was just checking in, I hadn't seen you call me out by name unprovoked since after game 5. What a wild swing of a series huh?
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 9,106

Post#1075 » by AleksandarN » Tue May 21, 2024 1:09 am

hardenASG13 wrote:
AleksandarN wrote:
hardenASG13 wrote:

I was just checking in, I hadn't seen you call me out by name unprovoked since after game 5. What a wild swing of a series huh?

I replied since game 5 to everyone so I was here. Still ready to talk hoops. Let’s go over to the Jokic not him thread. You can quote me in that thread. Saying I gave up on Jokic which was false but let’s talk over there.
Doug_12
Senior
And1: 452

Post#1076 » by Doug_12 » Tue May 21, 2024 6:57 am

tsherkin wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:I will end this conversation with 1 question.

Show me a GOAT in any sport with 1 championship?

You're welcome to the thought. My position has never been that people must accept Jokic as the GOAT now.

The problem has been all the people who aren't willing to acknowledge his level of play, and are being quick to shut down the conversation, even though historically the discourse in the NBA fanbase has been just fine with talking about people as potential GOATs well before they have the resume. Jordan himself, for example, and Lebron and Kareem, etc.

Literally the only guy who had the full deal fairly early on was Russell. So the pushback against Jokic here is somewhat suspicious, particularly with all the other flavors of negativity thrown in his direction when any kind of positive commentary shows up. It's very contemporary and restrictive to conversation, which is foolishness. Agreement is one thing, but attempting to shut down the conversation in this sort of situation doesn't make any sense and is inconsistent.

Without reacting too much at the continuation of that discussion, Kareem is another good example: His most productive years were already behind him by 1980 and he still had only 1 ring. Despite this, he is one of the GOAT candidates. What Jokic has done till now absolutely qualifies him to be on the list of potential future GOATs. Now how is he going to age, will he have championship caliber rosters in his post-prime years, how he and his teammates are going to be w/ injuries etc... is going to determine if he will be on the same tier as the other candidates. But based on what he has done till now, he cannot be ruled out.
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,982

Post#1077 » by Johnny Firpo » Tue May 21, 2024 6:59 am

LMAO at the "now you can change votes" edit. No thank you, we are fine.
SpreeS
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,417

Post#1078 » by SpreeS » Tue May 21, 2024 8:45 am

Special_Puppy wrote:People blaming Jokic for the Nuggets losing that series are arguing in bad faith. +5.7 prior EPM in that series. +6.7 over the past 5 games. His supporting cast just let him down

his defence let him down too. Grabbing 15-20reb is outstanding, but player has more responsibilities at center position - defend the paint and rim not only rebound. DEN players helped to defend paint and left corners 3 wide open.

Jokic career PO +/- only +1.2 Apart his stats I dont see his dominance in PO if compare with RS +7.0 It shows that opponents know how to play against Jokic defence. If we look at the best players of this era

RS/PO/diff

Giannis +4.5/+4.3/-0.2
Curry +7.9/+7.6/-0.3
Lebron +6.6/+5.8/-0.8
Doncic +2.8/+1.8/-1.0
Durant +5.9/+4.2/-1.7
Embiid +8.6/+6.6/-2.0
Kawhi +9.9/+6.9/-3.0
Harden +5.8/+2.3/-3.5
Tatum +8.4/+4.1/-4.3

Jokic +7.0/+1.2/-5.8
Paul +6.8/+0.9/-5.9

ATG

Garnett +5.2/+2.5/-2.7
Duncan +9.7/+6.0/-3.7
Kobe +4.2/+3.3/-0.9
O'Neal +7.8/+4.9/-2.9
Nash +6.3/+2.1/-4.2
Wade +4.0/+3.3/-0.7
Dirk +5.6/-0.2/-5.8 (another big who couldn't defend)

Also Den defence 19-24 compared RS and PO is 3.75 worse in PO than in RS

RS 112.03drtg
PO 115.78drtg
MMyhre
Suspended
And1: 619

Post#1079 » by MMyhre » Tue May 21, 2024 9:55 am

nikster wrote:
MMyhre wrote:This postseason shows that Jokic needs Murray at close to 1A to 1B level to win it all. Considering Edwards took a Kobe and went 6-24 it`s a disappointing Jokic lead scoring performance, I would say he is overrated as a number one option/lead dog to a certain degree, he needs Murray to both playmake and be a high volume scorer at decent efficiency. Tbf MPJ fell off a cliff from round 1, but yeah.. I don`t see LeBron losing this game with the opposing star going 6-24 with 16 points lets say it like that + Murray actually contributed.

I actually think the Mavericks have a chance if Edwards stinks it up, and Luka gets drugged up to heal those knees.. '

The Nuggets will be huge contenders next year if Murray actually puts work in from this day until the season starts and fixes his body, but its more on him than Jokic for the Nuggets to be contenders, which makes Jokic a tad overrated imo. Murray should get more credit for their run last year.

Murray was at a 18/4 on 48TS% (16 points on 45TS% first 6 games) this series and is a poor defender. He was absolutely brutal for most of it. He didn't even play close to a true #2 let alone a 1b. We supposed to forget that because of one goof game 7?

This isn't a proof Jokic needs a 1b, it's just proof he can't do him himself, like anyone ever.

And Murray played a very good game 7 and Jokic couldn`t be good enough. 90 points... doesn`t have it.
Gusto1903
Sixth Man
And1: 2,445

Post#1080 » by Gusto1903 » Tue May 21, 2024 9:58 am

Bro, what more can he do than 34/19 in game 7 ffs
On the Alperen Sengün hypetrain since 2020

Return to The General Board