Top 5 teams going nowhere..

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Cliff Levingston
RealGM
And1: 1,094

Post#21 » by Cliff Levingston » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:35 pm

The best candidates for this list would be those that are floating around the middle of the standings with limited roster flexibility and not too many good young players. You could come up with a lot of teams that fit this description in one way or another. In no particular order:

1. Knicks. Incredibly inflexible roster and mismatched for the next few years. While they look like they can score a high pick, they're further away from legit contention than just getting someone like O.J. Mayo.

2. Kings. They've got Martin as their future stud and some other good young talent like Garcia and possibly Hawes. However they've got a ton of money invested in some again guys like Bibby, Miller, Artest, Moore and Salmons, in addition to guys who are just worthless in Thomas and SAR. Their roster is also too good to secure a high pick, but not good enough to get out of the first round (in all likelihood).

3. Philadelphia. They've got a lot of young talent they're trying to develop and some cap space, but it'd help if they were a bit worse this year to get a higher pick. Maybe Cliff Levingston is just including them cause he's not too high on their young talent outside of Iggy (Smith, Young, Williams).

4. Indiana. O'Neal is very injury prone and VERY expensive for the next couple years. On top of that, he's not all that great anymore even when he is healthy. Outside of him they've got a big collection of decent players on big long-term deals (Murphy, Dunleavy, Tinsley, Daniels) and also are too good to likely get a high pick in the draft.

5. New Jersey. Under .500 with the big 3. Kidd is approaching the end of his career while they'll be too good to not get a high pick and don't really have that great of young talent on the team.

You could make a case for a lot of other teams though like Milwaukee, Chicago, Washington, Cleveland, L.A. Clippers, Houston, etc.
Jsun947
Analyst
And1: 425

Post#22 » by Jsun947 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:46 pm

1.) Nets. Kidd is 34 with bad knees. Vince Carter is 30 with bad knees. Richard Jefferson is decent. Kristic is completely lost. Collins and Magloire are their centers. They make the playoffs every year, go nowhere, don't get a good draft pick and then do it again the next year. No hope of winning a championship with that squad and not much of a way to get better either unless they BLOW IT THE **** UP!!!

2.) Indiana - Another example of New Jersey. Oneal is injured and playing like crap. Their only good young player is Granger and you can make an argument for Dunleavy this year. Their salary looks like a shithole but they still somehow make the playoffs...

3.) Milwaukie - Redd is a chucker that has to chuck for their team to win. Bogut and Yi are NOT franchise players. Other then that they have Mo Williams who is decent and everyone else is on god auful contracts. On top of all that they still suck. No hope for this team right now.

4.) Knicks - One word. Thomas. Next...

5.) Cleveland - They are over the cap for the next 3 years. Lebron is their only good player. EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE ELSE on that team wouldn't even come off the bench for a real contending team.
T.Duncan21
Junior
And1: 1

Post#23 » by T.Duncan21 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:54 pm

1. NYK
2. PHI
3. IND
4. NJ
5. SAC
Alex_De_Large
Lead Assistant
And1: 45

Post#24 » by Alex_De_Large » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:01 pm

Nets. Nuggets.
DBurks2818
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,054

Post#25 » by DBurks2818 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:31 pm

HarlemHeat37 wrote:I actually meant it to be NOW and the future..

I wish you would just admit how flawed the list is. No one will make fun of you if you do.

All I'm saying is that if you're going to give a certain reasoning for one or two teams being on there when a few other teams fit the description just as well, if not more so, you need to re-evaluate the list. Especially when it's a list with such a broad theme: "Going nowhere."

No disrespect, but examine the reasons why people are coming here and basically saying the same things, instead of criticizing them for "nitpicking."
The_Believer
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#26 » by The_Believer » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:41 pm

The Knicks top this list. Like I've said elsewhere, their "stars" could dominate the league in a one on one tourney, but they can't play as a team. Plus, their coach/GM just outright sucks.
Second and third are the Rox and Nugs. They have a lot of star power, but for some reason they haven't gone anywhere so far relative to what they should be.
The Kings and Cavs are also teams with a lot of solid players, but won't be going far due to having glaring weaknesses that counteract their strengths. (Sac is in the stacked West, injuries, CLE doesn't have a PG, Larry Hughes, etc...)
GJense4181
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#27 » by GJense4181 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:29 pm

=top five teams stuck in mediocrity, right? The worst possible situation to be in is barely missing the playoffs, and consistently.
1) NYK-Obvious, total mess. No further explanation necessary.
3) NJN-If the season ended today they'd be out of the playoffs. I can see them moving ahead of Indiana or Atlanta, but next season's potential is determined by the development of Sean Williams. They need to play him at C and find ways to get Marcus Williams into the game.
4) CLE-They have no attractive pieces besides Anderson Varejao. They have slightly regressed since last season but I can't see this team achieving playoff success until a Daniel Gibson is sent back to the bench and Larry Hughes is moved/used properly.
2) LAC-Even if Elton Brand and Shaun Livingston come back (and Chris Kaman maintains his stellar play), the rest of their roster is flat-out weak. Corey Maggette is not a winner and Al Thornton hasn't shown much. Their backcourt is hella weak.
5) I will choose another Western team, to be fair. and it's Sacramento. I'm not a Kevin Martin fan. Nor a Mike Bibby fan. Beno Udrih, while he has been a pleasant surprise, cannot possibly keep this up. SAR and Kenny Thomas are eating away at the franchise. Spencer Hawes was not the right draft pick, either.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,379

Post#28 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:11 pm

If Bogut hadn't 'turned it on' I'd be more inclined to put my Bucks on the list. But he's been playing some inspired ball now for almost a month, averaging 18 points, 10 rebounds, 3 assists and a block in January. He honestly looks like a completely new player out there on the court.

The Bucks won't be making the playoffs. They're not bad enough (yet) to get a top 3 lotto pick unless they somehow luck out big-time in May.

However, I think a lot of Bucks fans anticipate a cleaning of the house. Redd and/or Mo may be on their way out, along with Charlie V and Simmons. The only two guys that the ownership won't deal are Yi and Bogut. I think both are very good building blocks. Enough so, to make me think the future could be bright in Milwaukee.
Whiteman
Rookie
And1: 209

Post#29 » by Whiteman » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:23 pm

HarlemHeat37 wrote:
I put Milwaukee on MY list, because I don't believe they have anything significant to ever contend..they aren't going to be getting any high picks right now, because they aren't a bad team..Redd is overrated, and doesn't play a team game from what I've seen, and from what many here that know the Bucks better than I do have said..Bogut-Redd isn't going to take you anywhere..their role players aren't good, and don't have any set roles to play on the team..

You haven't mentioned Yi yet. He's struggling to adjust to the NBA right now, but he's shown his potential a few times. He's not a great player now, but he definitely holds a lot of promise. Whether he will live up to it remains to be seen of course, but with a core of Redd, Bogut and Yi the Bucks have more reason to be optimistic than some of the other teams you mention.
Bucky O'Hare
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#30 » by Bucky O'Hare » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:47 pm

I thinkt he Bucks are a bad choice. They have an All-Star, good young talent, and another high draft choice. Give them a couple of seasons, and I think they'll be a team to reckon with.

Indiana and New York are my two top choices. Larry Bird is Kevin McHale-lite.
HarlemHeat37
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#31 » by HarlemHeat37 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:05 pm

DBurks2818 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I wish you would just admit how flawed the list is. No one will make fun of you if you do.

All I'm saying is that if you're going to give a certain reasoning for one or two teams being on there when a few other teams fit the description just as well, if not more so, you need to re-evaluate the list. Especially when it's a list with such a broad theme: "Going nowhere."

No disrespect, but examine the reasons why people are coming here and basically saying the same things, instead of criticizing them for "nitpicking."

there were like 5 people that said something negative..half of the people that have commented have picked almost the same teams I picked as well..

nitpicking because you could say EVERY team in the NBA has something to play for..I was asking which 5 are in the WORST shape..it's like making a thread about who is worse between Kobe, Lebron and Wade..they're all some of the best players in the NBA, but if you had to pick who was the worst out of the 3..

I gave valid reasons, and it's my opinion..a lot of people seem to share the same opinion on similar teams..don't get mad because I included your team..it happens..everyone's team sucks at some point..
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#32 » by greenbeans » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:24 pm

I know its top 5 but im gonna rebel. Indy and Philly are my choices and i dont think either needs that much explaining. although Philly has some cap room headed there way but im not sure theyll be able to fully utilize it.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,140

Post#33 » by SOUL » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:46 pm

Bucky O'Hare wrote:I thinkt he Bucks are a bad choice. They have an All-Star, good young talent, and another high draft choice. Give them a couple of seasons, and I think they'll be a team to reckon with.

I've heard this from Bucks fans.

Every year.
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#34 » by greenbeans » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:55 pm

Bucky O'Hare wrote:I thinkt he Bucks are a bad choice. They have an All-Star, good young talent, and another high draft choice. Give them a couple of seasons, and I think they'll be a team to reckon with.

this is ot but your names awesome... thanks for reminding me all about that show. ahhh, memories
oomalay
Assistant Coach
And1: 78

Post#35 » by oomalay » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:23 am

Portland

Return to The General Board