What is a TRAVEL in the NBA?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Is this a legal basketball move?

Poll ended at Mon Jan 8, 2024 8:08 pm

It's an obvious travel
77%
It's hard to say in real time
10%
The play is legal; now stop creating stupid threads in GB.
13%

Total votes: 52

sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,598

Re: What is a TRAVEL in the NBA? 

Post#181 » by sixerswillrule » Fri Apr 5, 2024 11:39 pm

thinktank wrote:The new one is allowing players to establish a new pivot foot.

They call it the “step through”.

Don’t tell me that was legal the whole time. It wasn’t. Before you had to jump off both your pivot foot and your non-pivot foot at the same time—a two footed leap. Now you can just lift up your pivot foot entirely and jump 100% off your non-pivot foot. Looks cool, but it’s a travel.

theforumblue wrote:i get you. i wish i grew up with the current rule, my post moves would've been damn near unstoppable :lol: . feels like cheating.

KyletheDingbat wrote:those step through moves were 100% travels until recently. Not just in the NBA but in all levels - I knew not to do those. When Jordan would rock somebody in the post and turn around to do his lean-in jumper, he jumped off both feet at once. If step throughs were legal back then he would have done them. So the rule has definitely changed - whether it's the letter or interpretation or enforcement.

If you guys could do me a favor:

1) Find a time machine.
2) Travel back in time to the thread on here from 15 years ago where basically everyone was saying that it's not a travel and I was pretty much by myself like a schmuck for weeks arguing that it's a travel. Give me the backup that I needed by saying what you're saying now.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=886276&start=40

Until then, here are my thoughts on you (and the millions of other people) 5 years later, 10 years later, and now 15 years later chiming in when you were nowhere to be found back then:

Petergrifindor
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,566

Post#182 » by Petergrifindor » Fri Apr 5, 2024 11:41 pm

Nothing.
KyletheDingbat
Veteran
And1: 1,667

Post#183 » by KyletheDingbat » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:38 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:
thinktank wrote:The new one is allowing players to establish a new pivot foot.

They call it the “step through”.

Don’t tell me that was legal the whole time. It wasn’t. Before you had to jump off both your pivot foot and your non-pivot foot at the same time—a two footed leap. Now you can just lift up your pivot foot entirely and jump 100% off your non-pivot foot. Looks cool, but it’s a travel.

theforumblue wrote:i get you. i wish i grew up with the current rule, my post moves would've been damn near unstoppable :lol: . feels like cheating.

KyletheDingbat wrote:those step through moves were 100% travels until recently. Not just in the NBA but in all levels - I knew not to do those. When Jordan would rock somebody in the post and turn around to do his lean-in jumper, he jumped off both feet at once. If step throughs were legal back then he would have done them. So the rule has definitely changed - whether it's the letter or interpretation or enforcement.

If you guys could do me a favor:

1) Find a time machine.
2) Travel back in time to the thread on here from 15 years ago where basically everyone was saying that it's not a travel and I was pretty much by myself like a schmuck for weeks arguing that it's a travel. Give me the backup that I needed by saying what you're saying now.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=886276&start=40

Until then, here are my thoughts on you (and the millions of other people) 5 years later, 10 years later, and now 15 years later chiming in when you were nowhere to be found back then:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

My bad man I left you hanging!
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,694

Post#184 » by Jamaaliver » Sun May 19, 2024 4:12 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,694

Post#185 » by Jamaaliver » Sun May 19, 2024 4:13 pm

Read on Twitter
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,369

Post#186 » by SNPA » Sun May 19, 2024 4:23 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

I’m not so sure. It depends on his left foot. If his left foot is on the ground when the ball hits the floor last…I see two steps.

Assume his foot is down, what he does is pick it up (step one) then he puts it down (step two) and he shoots.
LaLover11
Sixth Man
And1: 1,116

Post#187 » by LaLover11 » Sun May 19, 2024 4:34 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=KIgKltazq38wPEStfzwRkg&s=19

Read on Twitter
?t=hq-1XMrI_wRPRXh-hWz4Iw&s=19
Bronny will become Murray 2.0
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,443

Post#188 » by ItsDanger » Sun May 19, 2024 4:36 pm

It's said that all art is open to interpretation.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,842

Post#189 » by brackdan70 » Sun May 19, 2024 4:41 pm

Gather and a step back is allowed. One the pivot foot moves it can’t come back down. Things happen fast so it’s kind of gray where the gather ends. Banes play in the op looks like he gathered early and then travelled, but it’s common. Such a fine line.
Sign here
rapstarter
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,841

Post#190 » by rapstarter » Sun May 19, 2024 8:23 pm

Is this legal?

Read on Twitter

I feel like it shouldn't be.
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,369

Post#191 » by SNPA » Sun May 19, 2024 8:34 pm

rapstarter wrote:Is this legal?

Read on Twitter

I wish it showed a second before. To me that’s a travel but some are way more lenient on the gather.

When the video starts his lead foot is off the ground, he puts it down and brings his trailing foot. That’s step one for me. Some will say that was part of the act of gathering and the count doesn’t begin until he two hand claps the ball.
KMartsCrew
Junior
And1: 219

Post#192 » by KMartsCrew » Sun May 19, 2024 10:07 pm

rapstarter wrote:Is this legal?

Read on Twitter

Thank you for posting this. Was watching the Pacer game today, and saw Haliburton pull that sidestep crap a couple times in a row early on and even live without any replays it looked so blatant I couldn't but shake my head at how he could get away with it so often and was gonna comment on it in this thread without the video. This league really has turned into a complete laughingstock, just crap not worth watching.
aemannarwal
Junior
And1: 262

Post#193 » by aemannarwal » Sun May 19, 2024 10:21 pm

What's you name ?
Who is th referee ?
Do they like you ?
Is the game televised ?

NBA has different set of basketball rules. Before you get to the NBA you have follow the rules. Once you make it big, do whatever.

Return to The General Board