Dallas is a disgrace, first team ever to tank with a Playoff birth on the line

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,223

Re: Dallas is a disgrace, first team ever to tank with a Playoff birth on the line 

Post#901 » by sunsbg » Thu Nov 2, 2023 7:26 pm

mademan wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
mademan wrote:
Its not just lively. They were also able to get off Bertans contract which allowed them to get Grant Williams, who's been awesome for them. Tanking that last game was the only move to make and it was clear at that time as well.

It was not about whether they should have tanked and more about how they did it. Felt like Kidd will put a jersey and enter the game to make sure they lose. Nothing to be proud of even if you ended with Jordan in the draft.

You had like 5 teams shamelessly tanking for 15+ games to give them the best chance for Wemby, but Dallas shameless tanking 1 game somehow deserves all this criticism? It was dumb to me at the time and has aged even dumber

You apparently don't get it was more like fixing a game than tanking. Even when you tank you put scrubs on the floor and let them play and try to win. Kidd made a stupid comment before the game and then substituted players who did actually try. And Lively is not a generational talent like Wemby lol.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,720

Re: Dallas is a disgrace, first team ever to tank with a Playoff birth on the line 

Post#902 » by mademan » Thu Nov 2, 2023 7:28 pm

sunsbg wrote:
mademan wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
It was not about whether they should have tanked and more about how they did it. Felt like Kidd will put a jersey and enter the game to make sure they lose. Nothing to be proud of even if you ended with Jordan in the draft.

You had like 5 teams shamelessly tanking for 15+ games to give them the best chance for Wemby, but Dallas shameless tanking 1 game somehow deserves all this criticism? It was dumb to me at the time and has aged even dumber

You apparently don't get it was more like fixing a game than tanking. Even when you tank you put scrubs on the floor and let them play and try to win. Kidd made a stupid comment before the game and then substituted players who did actually try. And Lively is not a generational talent like Wemby lol.

i still dont understand. This is just splitting hairs. Trying to lose is fine if you try to lose in the right way? And for the right level prospect? lmfao

Its very difficult to make an argument that trying to lose for 15 games is worse than trying to lose for 1 game.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant

Post#903 » by sunsbg » Thu Nov 2, 2023 7:44 pm

mademan wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
mademan wrote:

i still dont understand. This is just splitting hairs. Trying to lose is fine if you try to lose in the right way? And for the right level prospect? lmfao

Its very difficult to make an argument that trying to lose for 15 games is worse than trying to lose for 1 game.

Who said it's fine ? It's wrong, that's why they try to get rid of tanking. Losing on purpose is not something to brag about and Lively has not proved anything after four games is what I'm saying.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,720

Post#904 » by mademan » Thu Nov 2, 2023 7:48 pm

sunsbg wrote:
mademan wrote:
sunsbg wrote:

Who said it's fine ? It's wrong, that's why they try to get rid of tanking. Losing on purpose is not something to brag about and Lively has not proved anything after four games is what I'm saying.

Its also not fine to have players demand out and make their way to specific teams (KD to Suns), but it's the nature of the game. You make the best of what you got within the guidelines of the association, and thats what the Mavs did.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant

Post#905 » by sunsbg » Thu Nov 2, 2023 7:53 pm

mademan wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
mademan wrote:

Its also not fine to have players demand out and make their way to specific teams (KD to Suns), but it's the nature of the game. You make the best of what you got within the guidelines of the association, and thats what the Mavs did.

I don't remember Suns getting fined and they paid a lot for KD's demand to join them. It's players' league. Hopefully it doesn't become game fixing league. Anyway, as I said the odd thing is Mavs fan bumping up this thread. I don't remember of any tanking team fans bragging about losing so that they can get certain player in the draft.
mabundo_nagumbe
Junior
And1: 612

Post#906 » by mabundo_nagumbe » Thu Nov 2, 2023 9:06 pm

sunsbg wrote:
mademan wrote:
sunsbg wrote:

did you really come here to moralize? I don't see a point in doing that. to some, tanking is a legitimate strategy. always has been, and will stay until rules allow you to benefit from it

What do you mean he had not proved anything? What would be a proof in this context? He showed he can fill the gap mavs had for years and is already better in pretty much every single aspect of the game than Powell, who was mavs' primary option before. Yes, it has only been four games, but if you understand basetball and watch him and see his motor, how he moves, positions, passes, rebounds, communicates, and how much Luka trusts him (in comparison to KP or Wood), you could firmly assume this is not a fluke. I'm not saying what his ceiling is, my guess is nowhere near Wemby or Chet, but mavs are clearly a better team with him than without him, that's the bottom line. and what they gave up for him is at most a 1st round exit, a few rs games and a few horrible contracts. That's a w
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,869

Post#907 » by dirkforpres » Thu Nov 2, 2023 9:10 pm

Dirk wrote:Mavs fans are still very upset they missed out the play in games

Are we? Pretty sure the consensus among educated Mavs fans last March-April was to tank rather than a pointless battle for the 10th seed
FIRE JASON KIDD
gottamakeit
Sixth Man
And1: 1,448

Post#908 » by gottamakeit » Thu Nov 2, 2023 9:22 pm

dirkforpres wrote:

Are we? Pretty sure the consensus among educated Mavs fans last March-April was to tank rather than a pointless battle for the 10th seed

dirkforpres wrote:

Is that better?
cupcakesnake wrote:...no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it
dirkdiggler4177
Rookie
And1: 1,353

Post#909 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Thu Nov 2, 2023 9:31 pm

sunsbg wrote:Odd to see a Mavs fan bump this thread again. Lively will end a nice player and finish lobs from Luka for a long time, but someone like Eubanks has produced better numbers, including apg, so far.

Who cares about Eubanks? Lively is 19 and has played 4 games. Eubanks is 26 and has played 252 games.
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,975

Post#910 » by tundraknight » Sun May 19, 2024 4:42 am

Read on Twitter
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,733

Post#911 » by dygaction » Sun May 19, 2024 4:50 am

tundraknight wrote:
Read on Twitter

lol, love the fact but second to whom?
Forbes
Analyst
And1: 2,756

Post#912 » by Forbes » Sun May 19, 2024 4:54 am

This thread was so annoying trying to explain to everyone that we had to tank. No idea why everyone wanted us to go to the play in and become mediocre forever and lose Luka.

Nothing but extremely wrong opinions
BeiBeau
Starter
And1: 1,336

Post#913 » by BeiBeau » Sun May 19, 2024 4:57 am

dirkdiggler4177 wrote:
sunsbg wrote:Odd to see a Mavs fan bump this thread again. Lively will end a nice player and finish lobs from Luka for a long time, but someone like Eubanks has produced better numbers, including apg, so far.

Who cares about Eubanks? Lively is 19 and has played 4 games. Eubanks is 26 and has played 252 games.

Sunbg I’m going to throw this in your face if I ever catch talking smoke about my tank baby. Lively’s been my guy well before we drafted him.
Special_Puppy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,116

Post#914 » by Special_Puppy » Sun May 19, 2024 5:09 am

Tanking works baby. Dallas was 100% correct to do it
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 11,217

Post#915 » by Mavrelous » Sun May 19, 2024 5:14 am

OMG! Utterly disgusted, awful, just awful, for what??? A pick??? Where's the integrity? Where's the sportsmanship? Where are the steaks? Here they are, here's the beer, pool looks nice, no need for salt, there's enough in this thread...
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 387

Post#916 » by WentzerWuver » Sun May 19, 2024 5:21 am

sunsbg wrote:
mademan wrote:
sunsbg wrote:

He proved he can step up in the playoffs Lol. Always like Lively game at Duke and hope the Sixers could land him cause he's a Philly guy.
Handlez
Junior
And1: 676

Post#917 » by Handlez » Sun May 19, 2024 5:29 am

Damn.

Lively ended this thread.
blueberrysticky
Analyst
And1: 252

Post#918 » by blueberrysticky » Sun May 19, 2024 5:43 am

This is rookie Lively too. This guy is going to be nuts
sunsbg
Lead Assistant

Post#919 » by sunsbg » Sun May 19, 2024 5:57 am

Well, it worked for you, Mavs fans. The way you lost that game was still a disgrace. Nothing to be proud of, just be happy.
madskillz8
Senior
And1: 813

Post#920 » by madskillz8 » Sun May 19, 2024 6:22 am

Mavrelous wrote:OMG! Utterly disgusted, awful, just awful, for what??? A pick??? Where's the integrity? Where's the sportsmanship? Where are the steaks? Here they are, here's the beer, pool looks nice, no need for salt, there's enough in this thread...

OK. But I don't understand the point of bumping this thread now. Let me explain.

They made a decision which didn't look good. It's also OK. What I don't understand is trying to sell it a genius move that change the destiny of Mavs now - as if it wasn't the Gafford/PJ Washington trades.

First of all, we all know Mavs would have likely lost in play-in and get 13th or 14th pick instead of 11th. And it is not like Mavs win the lottery, they stayed at 11.

Second, considering mock drafts, it was a serious possibility that they could still nab Lively at 13 or 14, as I don't remember a mock draft projecting him as top-10 pick or so. Now assume that they really liked Lively and thought he would change their destiny - I think they could have easily find a way to trade-up for 11 (they already traded up in the same draft for another pick using their cap space).

I know Mavs fan very happy now but this was not a significant decision to deserve such a bump, lol.

Return to The General Board