Caitlin Clark is the first TRUE star in the history of woman’s basketball.

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

KodiakBear
Sixth Man
And1: 2,208

Re: Caitlin Clark is the first TRUE star in the history of woman’s basketball. 

Post#521 » by KodiakBear » Fri May 17, 2024 4:42 pm

shrink wrote:I get so tired of people diminishing her popularity because she is white. She is popular because of her game. She is the first woman player in college (regardless of race), doing Steph Curry shooting, and making pinpoint passes to teammates who are always running! That’s exciting, highlight reel stuff!

Moreover, we see the popularity Curry has gained, including the marketing, for this style of basketball. Clark was breaking even Curry’s records in college.

Give her the credit (or critiques) she deserves as a basketball player, not whether she’s a black or white basketball player.

Yeah she is popular because she is very entertaining to watch. There is some relatability with her game, but I don't see it as race. It is the same as Steph Curry. The average person sees themselves in her or Steph Curry more than they do guys like Shaq and Lebron who are just physically dominant speciment.

Certainly the average person obviously couldn't be Clark or Curry, but the kid shooting in the park can envision themselves playing that type of game more than being guys who are 6 8 260(or in Shaq's case even bigger).
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 7,043

Post#522 » by JustBuzzin » Fri May 17, 2024 4:47 pm

RIP Caitlin Clark hype.
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,452

Post#523 » by Oscirus » Fri May 17, 2024 4:58 pm

Yea, give me Reese, not as popular as Caitlin, but at least she's entertaining. The problem with the WNBA is though they're probably more fundamentally sound than the men, they're boring.
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 385

Post#524 » by WentzerWuver » Fri May 17, 2024 5:39 pm

Oscirus wrote:Yea, give me Reese, not as popular as Caitlin, but at least she's entertaining. The problem with the WNBA is though they're probably more fundamentally sound than the men, they're boring.
Reese is Starbury so I pass and take the next Bird.
Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,380

Post#525 » by Jedi32 » Fri May 17, 2024 5:47 pm

Oscirus wrote:Yea, give me Reese, not as popular as Caitlin, but at least she's entertaining. The problem with the WNBA is though they're probably more fundamentally sound than the men, they're boring.

Reese is very underrated. Beautiful too.
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#526 » by JustBuzzin » Fri May 17, 2024 5:59 pm

Jedi32 wrote:

Sid from Ice Age beautiful?
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,868

Post#527 » by Marrrcuss » Fri May 17, 2024 6:13 pm

Jedi32 wrote:

Reese lost me wearing h*e wear and then blaming everyone else for sexualizing her.

This is sexist and inappropriate. If you're intentionally putting an asterisk in your post to change a word it's a pretty good indication that you know you shouldn't be saying it.
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach

Post#528 » by Marrrcuss » Fri May 17, 2024 6:13 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
Jedi32 wrote:

Sid from Ice Age beautiful?

:lol:
Thats some funny shyt. She is cute but those eyelashes just look way too heavy. It not personal, i just hate those things.
reddyplayerone
Junior
And1: 382

Post#529 » by reddyplayerone » Fri May 17, 2024 6:17 pm

Marrrcuss wrote:
Jedi32 wrote:

Reese lost me wearing h*e wear and then blaming everyone else for sexualizing her.

**** this thread

Y'all just need to stop talking about women period.
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach

Post#530 » by Marrrcuss » Fri May 17, 2024 6:21 pm

reddyplayerone wrote:
Marrrcuss wrote:
Jedi32 wrote:Reese is very underrated. Beautiful too.

**** this thread

I thought yall wanted us to support the WNBA?

Do we talk about it and drag them through the mud like we do NBA players or do you just want all flowers?
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 385

Post#531 » by WentzerWuver » Fri May 17, 2024 6:21 pm

reddyplayerone wrote:
Marrrcuss wrote:

**** this thread

Agreed but they act like this is real life too.
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#532 » by JustBuzzin » Fri May 17, 2024 6:24 pm

reddyplayerone wrote:
Marrrcuss wrote:

**** this thread

Oh my this guy again.

Buddy take a chill pill. It's 2024 people are going to joke around. Why are you so uptight on a message board?
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,669

Post#533 » by prophet_of_rage » Fri May 17, 2024 6:33 pm

shrink wrote:I get so tired of people diminishing her popularity because she is white. She is popular because of her game. She is the first woman player in college (regardless of race), doing Steph Curry shooting, and making pinpoint passes to teammates who are always running! That’s exciting, highlight reel stuff!

Moreover, we see the popularity Curry has gained, including the marketing, for this style of basketball. Clark was breaking even Curry’s records in college.

Give her the credit (or critiques) she deserves as a basketball player, not whether she’s a black or white basketball player.
It is an inextricably part of it, just like her gender and skill.

Sent from my SM-S9080 using RealGM mobile app
reddyplayerone
Junior

Post#534 » by reddyplayerone » Fri May 17, 2024 6:39 pm

Marrrcuss wrote:
reddyplayerone wrote:
Marrrcuss wrote:Reese lost me wearing h*e wear and then blaming everyone else for sexualizing her.

**** this thread

I thought yall wanted us to support the WNBA?

Do we talk about it and drag them through the mud like we do NBA players or do you just want all flowers?

Do you talk about how hot NBA players are ever?

Do you talk about NBA players dressing like "hoes?"
Optms
RealGM
And1: 17,200

Post#535 » by Optms » Fri May 17, 2024 6:39 pm

reddyplayerone wrote:
Marrrcuss wrote:

**** this thread

Because talking about a certain invidual equates to suddenly talking about the entire gender that individual belongs to.

Imagine someone criticizing Joel Embiid/Lebron/Jokic whoever. Then suddenly someone responds with "Stop talking about men". That's how ridiculous your comment looks.
reddyplayerone
Junior

Post#536 » by reddyplayerone » Fri May 17, 2024 6:42 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
reddyplayerone wrote:
Marrrcuss wrote:Reese lost me wearing h*e wear and then blaming everyone else for sexualizing her.

**** this thread

Oh my this guy again.

Buddy take a chill pill. It's 2024 people are going to joke around. Why are you so uptight on a message board?

Yeah still not a guy

You're right it is 2024 and not 1984, so it's pretty pathetic to see a bunch of boys on the internet still talking about women as if they've never spent any time around one

None of you are very funny like at all
reddyplayerone
Junior

Post#537 » by reddyplayerone » Fri May 17, 2024 6:45 pm

Optms wrote:
reddyplayerone wrote:

**** this thread

Because talking about a certain invidual equates to suddenly talking about the entire gender that individual belongs to.

Imagine someone criticizing Joel Embiid/Lebron/Jokic whoever. Then suddenly someone responds with "Stop talking about men". That's how ridiculous your comment looks.

Right because women aren't criticized for what they wear or how they look primarily, even when it's entirely irrelevant to what they do professionally.

Can you point to the thread where people are critical of Joel Embiid's looks or body? Or Jokic's fashion sense?
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,406

Post#538 » by shrink » Fri May 17, 2024 6:47 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:

It is an inextricably part of it, just like her gender and skill.

Really? Because the most marketable sports stars aren’t white. The unifying factor is that they are great at their sport.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,520

Post#539 » by bisme37 » Fri May 17, 2024 6:49 pm

This thread has run its course. We have a WNBA forum if y'all want to discuss Clark and women's basketball. Please read the posting guidelines on the top of the board and join the conversation.

viewforum.php?f=472

Return to The General Board