OT: Will Caitlin Clark’s debut outdraw tonight’s games

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Will Clark’s debut outdraw tonight’s playoff games?

yes
28%
no
72%

Total votes: 112

HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 10,025

Re: OT: Will Caitlin Clark’s debut outdraw tonight’s games 

Post#61 » by HotelVitale » Fri May 17, 2024 3:10 am

jfs1000d wrote:
Mr Puddles wrote:
Marrrcuss wrote:Thats one way to see it. One of the other ways is seeing that she hasnt won shyt but was being thrown in GOAT conversations. The media chose to cover her after the title game more than the team that actually won the game and capped an undefeated season.

But by all means, just chalk it up to jealousy.

She's brought more attention to the WNBA than arguably any player ever, and might start bringing a ton a viewership along with it.

WNBA players have been complaining for years that they're not being promoted enough and aren't making enough money. Now a new player comes along bringing a ton of hype, and potentially a path towards financial sustainability for the league, and these same WNBA players start trashing her and complaining that's she's only getting hyped up because she's white.

You can't have it both ways.

It isn’t jealously. It is competitiveness. Clark good for wnba, lien really good.

But, the Iowa fans and Clark fans who never watched wnba have been in a for a rude awakening. Clark is nowhere near the elite players in the world right now, and Stewart showed what greatness really looked like.

Clark to good not to get there, but thoughts that she was so much better than any other hoops player in college was always kind of silly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not telling anyone how to follow the game but if you actually thought Clark was the greatest bball player of all time, or that arguing with people about whether or not she's that is what's interesting about her, feels like you're missing the whole thing going on here. She's a regular white midwest kid who's also a psycho competitor, and she fires up 30 footers and heaves cross court passes. She's pretty interesting as a figure and the fact that we don't know how well that'll translate to the pro level is what's entertaining here. Feels weird to center the story on some amorphous 'Clark and Iowa fans' and their 'rude awakening.'
Handlez
Junior
And1: 676

Post#62 » by Handlez » Fri May 17, 2024 3:11 am

She gotta develop an in between game.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 13,912

Post#63 » by Chuck Everett » Fri May 17, 2024 3:23 am

Hoop Hunter wrote:I hope the massive attention and media microscope doesn't destroy her. No matter what she did in college, this is the pros now.

She's a rookie, probably not going to be all-star her first season. Give her a little time.

A lot of jealousy it seems. Seems like all the players want her to fail, even though her popularity will help the WNBA and their paychecks.

I mean, these are still professional athletes. They're not just going to lay down and be tomato cans so she can be crowned the GOAT. She's gonna have to earn it by being better than them.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
advent11
Junior
And1: 380

Post#64 » by advent11 » Fri May 17, 2024 3:39 am

Coach has got to use her in a heliocentric system like Harden/Luka.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,300

Post#65 » by Lalouie » Fri May 17, 2024 4:20 am

G35 wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:yeah i said before they needed Caitlin out here running Harden ball and going for 50 point games nightly if they wanted to keep the hype goin

This. How does hype get generated; when someone does something first or unique. Caitlin was breaking records in college, she needs to start breaking records in the WNBA to keep the eyeballs.....

yeah, true

the entry bar is low in the wnba and so the college stars continue to impact when they get into the wnba.
but i'll bet she's deferring cuz she's "new". this is where the coach will have to tell her to just do her thing

indy was near bottom last year, so she's to have to take over....it's up to her coach now

wow, i just looked at indy's record over the past several years,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,THEY SUKKKK
they have a carousel of coaches - get a new one
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,868

Post#66 » by Marrrcuss » Fri May 17, 2024 1:07 pm

G35 wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:yeah i said before they needed Caitlin out here running Harden ball and going for 50 point games nightly if they wanted to keep the hype goin

This. How does hype get generated; when someone does something first or unique. Caitlin was breaking records in college, she needs to start breaking records in the WNBA to keep the eyeballs.....

Given that these new fans had nothing invested, they can be lost easily.

A couple more bad games and theyre out..
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,126

Post#67 » by ChipotleWest » Fri May 17, 2024 1:41 pm

I predict people will eventually move on and stop watching unless he starts dominating the League.
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,813

Post#68 » by sikma42 » Fri May 17, 2024 1:43 pm

Marrrcuss wrote:
G35 wrote:

It's a tough situation. The coach took the ball out of her hands a bit more tonight after the 10 turnovers in the first game. CC responded by sulking and not running the actions out of the corner. Almost freezing if she sensed she may not get the ball. She also wasn't relocating well off ball and was often hunting spots that were already taken by teammates, which caused weird spacing.

I think that the coach needs to just put the ball in her hands and live or die with the results. The risk there is that it becomes a spectacle, but I think this team may put up with it. The fans are coming to see CC dominate the ball and this team sucks, so might as well give them what they want.

My early takeaways are that she needs to take the offseason and develop every part of her scoring arsenal that isn't a 3. She is basically a one level scorer right now. She has no midrange game and her driving is just okay. Secondly she needs to figure out how to be an effective defender. Right now, she isn't anywhere near the best players and that's okay. Just give her some time and I'm sure she will be an legit all star soon enough.
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,868

Post#69 » by Marrrcuss » Fri May 17, 2024 2:25 pm

sikma42 wrote:
Marrrcuss wrote:
G35 wrote:

It's a tough situation. The coach took the ball out of her hands a bit more tonight after the 10 turnovers in the first game. CC responded by sulking and not running the actions out of the corner. Almost freezing if she sensed she may not get the ball. She also wasn't relocating well off ball and was often hunting spots that were already taken by teammates, which caused weird spacing.

I think that the coach needs to just put the ball in her hands and live or die with the results. The risk there is that it becomes a spectacle, but I think this team may put up with it. The fans are coming to see CC dominate the ball and this team sucks, so might as well give them what they want.

My early takeaways are that she needs to take the offseason and develop every part of her scoring arsenal that isn't a 3. She is basically a one level scorer right now. She has no midrange game and her driving is just okay. Secondly she needs to figure out how to be an effective defender. Right now, she isn't anywhere near the best players and that's okay. Just give her some time and I'm sure she will be an legit all star soon enough.

As you know, the internet lacks patience. She needs 35+ points in the next game or the whole deal is off :lol:
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,965

Post#70 » by Fo-Real » Fri May 17, 2024 2:30 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:I predict people will eventually move on and stop watching unless he starts dominating the League.

Dont think that will even help.
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 384

Post#71 » by WentzerWuver » Fri May 17, 2024 2:31 pm

jokeboy86 wrote:Really curious what type rating her debut gets tonight. Although its on ESPN2 I’m surprised that ESPN/WNBA were bold enough to put it on in primetime directly competing with the NHL/NBA games tonight.
I was watching her home debut yesterday and it was so much excitement!

https://youtube.com/shorts/mMJI-Fhau9M?si=ycOMH54nNAiA8Tq8

Return to The General Board