Is Minnesota better without Gobert?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,974

Re: Is Minnesota better without Gobert? 

Post#81 » by cdubbz » Mon May 13, 2024 5:38 am

SweaterBae wrote:
cdubbz wrote:
Uncle Mxy wrote:I didn't care much about Gobert until he became the COVID-19 doofus.
Now I want to see him lose in general, not just when he plays my team.

My only comment on that is that at that time a lot of people didn't take the virus seriously. Touching all the microphones was a dumb move, but if he had the virus then the people around him were going to get it NO MATTER WHAT. Also there was a lot of people in the interview room anyways. To me it's a weird thing to dislike Gobert because of that.

If something is going to happen NO MATTER WHAT, you just capitulate? Also, you don't know that, you're straight making it up. Public health is not a weird thing. Imagine how many walls and aircraft carriers we could build if we didn't have to spend so much on healthcare/insurance because of dumbasses like well...You figure it out, if you can.

What exactly do you not like that Gobert did though? I'm guessing it was the interview where he touched all the microphones with his hands?! That is what upset you or was it something else? That is the only thing i know he did that upset people so just asking. I'm asking because it would clear things up.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
SweaterBae
Sixth Man
And1: 2,478

Post#82 » by SweaterBae » Mon May 13, 2024 5:40 am

cdubbz wrote:
SweaterBae wrote:
cdubbz wrote:

My only comment on that is that at that time a lot of people didn't take the virus seriously. Touching all the microphones was a dumb move, but if he had the virus then the people around him were going to get it NO MATTER WHAT. Also there was a lot of people in the interview room anyways. To me it's a weird thing to dislike Gobert because of that.

If something is going to happen NO MATTER WHAT, you just capitulate? Also, you don't know that, you're straight making it up. Public health is not a weird thing. Imagine how many walls and aircraft carriers we could build if we didn't have to spend so much on healthcare/insurance because of dumbasses like well...You figure it out, if you can.

What exactly do you not like that Gobert did though? I'm guessing it was the interview where he touched all the microphones with his hands?! That is what upset you or was it something else? That is the only thing i know he did that upset people so just asking. I'm asking because it would clear things up.

Are you a bot? Dear programmer: your bot sucks.
zero rings
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,536

Post#83 » by zero rings » Mon May 13, 2024 5:40 am

No.

Without Gobert they'd be a play-in team.
zero rings
Pro Prospect

Post#84 » by zero rings » Mon May 13, 2024 5:41 am

SweaterBae wrote:
cdubbz wrote:
SweaterBae wrote:

Do you honestly think the NBA wouldn't have had a COVID problem if Gobert didn't touch those microphones?
SweaterBae
Sixth Man
And1: 2,478

Post#85 » by SweaterBae » Mon May 13, 2024 5:46 am

zero rings wrote:
SweaterBae wrote:
cdubbz wrote:

Do you honestly think the NBA wouldn't have had a COVID problem if Gobert didn't touch those microphones?

Holy **** now we're off into real logical fallacy territory. Think beyond the length of your nose, I beg you.
zero rings
Pro Prospect

Post#86 » by zero rings » Mon May 13, 2024 5:55 am

SweaterBae wrote:
zero rings wrote:
SweaterBae wrote:

Holy **** now we're off into real logical fallacy territory. Think beyond the length of your nose, I beg you.

What am I missing here? Isn't that your main gripe with Gobert?

Yeah it was a stupid thing to do, but it was 4 years ago and had no real effect on anything. Get over it lol
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,322

Post#87 » by DonaldSanders » Mon May 13, 2024 6:01 am

AussieCeltic wrote:
RRR3 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
It is. But it's also pretty funny when a guy's team out scores the other by 9 points when they play. And they get out scored by 16 with them off the court. That the argument is...well that players is the reason they lost.

Also this isn't a single game thing.

Game 1 +12 on -5 off
Game 3 -10 on -17 off
Game 4 +9 on -17 off

The guys has his faults as does anyone else, but if there were something to he shouldn't be playing. I think we'd start to see something. Instead of have a decade long career of his teams being better with him on the court and fans/players alike continuing to try and find some fault with him.

His plus minus was correlated with Ant. He made very little impact when I watched.

Then you’re not watching close enough. The Wolves defense is built around having a 7’3 giant Frenchman with a massive wingspan as their anchor.

Gobert is a great player. The thing is, some of the criticism he gets is because he is paid like, and was traded like a superstar. And you go into some PC board RAPM discussions and some think it indicates he's been top 3 in the league at some points in his career. But when I watch him in the playoffs I don't see a superstar player. Ant was the superstar tonight, MIN was +5 in the 45:30 he played, and -13 when he was off. ANT and Gobert overlapped a ton, but Ant is the superstar.

So obviously the premise that MIN is better off if Gobert doesn't play is absurd. What is actually debatable is whether Gobert is a superstar as many have valued him. A lot of pro-RAPM guys think Gobert is one of the best players in the last decade, but he still hasn't gotten out of the 2nd round. Maybe he will show us his superstar level the last 3 games, but he hasn't shown it yet.
FreeBird23
Junior
And1: 1,155

Post#88 » by FreeBird23 » Mon May 13, 2024 6:43 am

How can you watch the games and call Gobert a problem ? Maybe you dont watch the games...
GSP
RealGM
And1: 15,542

Post#89 » by GSP » Mon May 13, 2024 6:48 am

picc wrote:He hurts them against Denver and the series wouldn't be tied if he never came back.

There. I said it.

Makes you wonder how much of a fraud he is that hes hurting them in a matchup where the opposing team has the Mvp at his own position...........
GSP
RealGM
And1: 15,542

Post#90 » by GSP » Mon May 13, 2024 6:49 am

Woodsanity wrote:Gobert has been good, Kat has not....

Kat was bad today not like hes played like this all series. He was great early on and a big reason they even went up 2-0. I mean Kat was prolly the best player on the floor on either team for game 2 and outplayed Jokic on both ends. And that was the game Rudy missed.
RRR3
Veteran
And1: 3,494

Post#91 » by RRR3 » Mon May 13, 2024 7:44 am

FreeBird23 wrote:How can you watch the games and call Gobert a problem ? Maybe you dont watch the games...

How can we watch and think the guy who makes Clint Capela look skilled on offense a problem? Really? Great interior defender, all time great even. But he’s a very flawed and limited player.
AussieCeltic
RealGM
And1: 21,979

Post#92 » by AussieCeltic » Mon May 13, 2024 7:52 am

DonaldSanders wrote:
AussieCeltic wrote:
RRR3 wrote:His plus minus was correlated with Ant. He made very little impact when I watched.

Then you’re not watching close enough. The Wolves defense is built around having a 7’3 giant Frenchman with a massive wingspan as their anchor.

Gobert is a great player. The thing is, some of the criticism he gets is because he is paid like, and was traded like a superstar. And you go into some PC board RAPM discussions and some think it indicates he's been top 3 in the league at some points in his career. But when I watch him in the playoffs I don't see a superstar player. Ant was the superstar tonight, MIN was +5 in the 45:30 he played, and -13 when he was off. ANT and Gobert overlapped a ton, but Ant is the superstar.

So obviously the premise that MIN is better off if Gobert doesn't play is absurd. What is actually debatable is whether Gobert is a superstar as many have valued him. A lot of pro-RAPM guys think Gobert is one of the best players in the last decade, but he still hasn't gotten out of the 2nd round. Maybe he will show us his superstar level the last 3 games, but he hasn't shown it yet.

Some people only focus on one side of the ball in basketball. In NFL, defensive players that can impact the game are still highly regarded.

A guy that can impact the game defensively as much as Rudy should be considered a high level player. Maybe not superstar status, but his impact is enormous.
eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.
styLesdavis
Rookie
And1: 656

Post#93 » by styLesdavis » Mon May 13, 2024 8:17 am

AussieCeltic wrote:
DonaldSanders wrote:
AussieCeltic wrote:

Some people only focus on one side of the ball in basketball. In NFL, defensive players that can impact the game are still highly regarded.

A guy that can impact the game defensively as much as Rudy should be considered a high level player. Maybe not superstar status, but his impact is enormous.

100%.

BUT the problem in basketball is that you can`t simply sub a "defensive oriented" player out for the offense. NFL players like TJ Watt dominate on the defensive end AND simply would never play an offensive snap because football works that way. Gobert is a high level defensive player which nowadays comes with a price since players like Rudy limits your offensive possibilities.

Its like NFL players like Watt or Donald HAD TO play on the offensive side too.
ratul
General Manager
And1: 4,403

Post#94 » by ratul » Mon May 13, 2024 8:55 am

yes, jokic struggles with faster bigs like towns. Gobert allows Jokic to be lazy on defense. You have to run that fat serbian around to have any chance.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,958

Post#95 » by Uncle Mxy » Mon May 13, 2024 10:03 am

cdubbz wrote:
SweaterBae wrote:
cdubbz wrote:

"if he had the virus"?

He had COVID-19 at that point, tested positive just 2 days later. That interview was in Detroit, where I'm from.
At a heightened level of "spook", Gobert acted like a jackass on my home court, maybe threatened some lives.
The NBA shut down right after. It was very likely to do, but Gobert's antics were the poster child for stupid.

So nope, I'm not a fan.

I can appreciate someone's game without being a fan because their antics define them as a crap human being.
I'll always root against the likes of Karl Malone, Ron Artest, Miles Bridges, Eddie Johnson Jr, Ruben Patterson, etc.
They've shown their true nature when it matters, and that goes beyond Xs and Os and in-game performance.
picc
RealGM
And1: 18,404

Post#96 » by picc » Mon May 13, 2024 10:07 am

GSP wrote:
picc wrote:He hurts them against Denver and the series wouldn't be tied if he never came back.

There. I said it.

Makes you wonder how much of a fraud he is that hes hurting them in a matchup where the opposing team has the Mvp at his own position...........

He doesnt make them worse in a vacuum. Against maybe every other team he’s a great asset. Against Denver I watch and see him hurting them on offense and on defense. It is what it is.
Doranku
Analyst
And1: 6,246

Post#97 » by Doranku » Mon May 13, 2024 10:54 am

The Gobert cult never ceases to amaze me, they will literally never fault him for anything. 8/10/2 on 55% TS with as many turnovers as blocks & steals combined, getting torched by Jokic all series and people want to act like that's acceptable for a max contract player with 4 DPOY awards. It's not.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 23,003

Post#98 » by dhsilv2 » Mon May 13, 2024 11:38 am

DonaldSanders wrote:
AussieCeltic wrote:
RRR3 wrote:His plus minus was correlated with Ant. He made very little impact when I watched.

Nobody can explain or define what a defensive superstar looks like. As a result we end up only accepting there is good defense after wins. The best defenders change how a team's offense runs from before the offense even has the ball. The game plan, the play call, everything is altered. The reason a tool like RAPM is used is because it's one of the few ways to show that.

This is why fans over value point of attack defenders. Cause they can "see" it.
FreeBird23
Junior
And1: 1,155

Post#99 » by FreeBird23 » Mon May 13, 2024 11:38 am

Jokic against defenders in game 4 :

9pts against Gobert (5 of them because Gobert had to go help his teammate)

12pts against KAT

4pts against Reid

4pts against Edwards

So Jokic has scored 4 points one on one against Gobert. But its Gobert's fault !!!!
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,974

Post#100 » by cdubbz » Mon May 13, 2024 3:40 pm

SweaterBae wrote:
cdubbz wrote:
SweaterBae wrote:

Good answer bud.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.

Return to The General Board