ImageImage

New Coach Search Thread

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,288

Re: New Coach Search Thread 

Post#321 » by KembaWalker » Sat May 4, 2024 3:35 am

I like that the owners are at least trying to chase candidates that other teams covet and not settling for some leftover assistant, even if it ends up not working out. We have to at least pretend we belong in the conversation with legitimate NBA franchises even if all the evidence points to the contrary. Leaking a finalists list of guys that don’t even want the job is pretty funny though, especially after what happened last time
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,948

Post#322 » by Diop » Sat May 4, 2024 3:36 am

Give the new front office a chance before we condemn them
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,711

Post#323 » by fatlever » Sat May 4, 2024 5:16 am

Diop wrote:Give the new front office a chance before we condemn them

i'm trying :-? 20 years of trauma is hard to break in one year.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,365

Post#324 » by JDR720 » Sat May 4, 2024 5:23 am

It's always risky.

If we already hired a coach, we would miss out on potentially hiring one of the fired playoff coaches. Like Ham.

But since we didn't, we now have more competition from the playoff teams that fired their coaches. Like the Lakers, probably Suns etc.

The interesting thing is the Nets for example hired Fernandez pretty quickly. So it's not like other teams/coaches aren't making decisions quickly.

So have we not hired someone because of our actions, or the candidates aren't sold on us?
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,365

Post#325 » by JDR720 » Sat May 4, 2024 5:26 am

I wouldn't mind hiring Ham.

Every coach LeBron has ever had has been fired, besides Spo. And he tried to get him fired too.

So Ham being canned after losing to Denver, again, shouldn't be held against him.
KembaWalker
General Manager

Post#326 » by KembaWalker » Sat May 4, 2024 2:06 pm

Hornets announce their finalists for the Honeybee roster opening: Sydney Sweeney, Zendaya, Margot Robbie
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,244

Post#327 » by JMAC3 » Sat May 4, 2024 8:32 pm

Here is my best guess at what happened during the coaching process.
1. Charles Lee was legit the favorite from day 1.
2. We interviewed Lee, he slayed and we probably were all but ready to hit the draft now button but Lee asked us to wait so he isn't a distraction to the Celtics playoff run. Celtics may have even given him a bonus if he coaches throughout the rest of the playoffs.
3. Instead of just sitting on our hands, we decided to fill the dead space with interviewing other candidates just to give us 100% confidence. Most were not real contenders, but not the worst thing for GM and coaches to hear more approaches.
4. Jordi and Kevin Young got the feeling and that is why they quickly took other job opportunities because Lee was all but him.
5. Then Redick actually blew us away and it actually did become a 2 man race and the appeal of not having to wait another month for Lee is a real conversation especially with draft approaching.

6. Now we are leaning Redick, but then LeBron told J.J. that he is pushing him as a real contender if the FO wants to move on from Ham. They did.. so JJ is going to at least give them the courtesy of interviewing them.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#328 » by fatlever » Mon May 6, 2024 5:07 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=u3HdYo_a21KxGHVBbeRE1w&s=19

So yeah, we definitely aren't hiring a coach until the Lakers make a decision.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,522

Post#329 » by JustBuzzin » Mon May 6, 2024 5:22 pm

JJ is smart, he's not going to choose a aging LeBron and AD over a chance to coach Miller the way he was all giddy about Miller comparing him to Jayson Tatum. He wants a guy who he can grow with.

Only way I think he chooses LA is if they have a legit plan to grab a legit 3rd star. With LeBron anything is possible those dudes love making moves behind the scenes.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,104

Post#330 » by Liver_Pooty » Mon May 6, 2024 5:39 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:JJ is smart, he's not going to choose a aging LeBron and AD over a chance to coach Miller the way he was all giddy about Miller comparing him to Jayson Tatum. He wants a guy who he can grow with.

Only way I think he chooses LA is if they have a legit plan to grab a legit 3rd star. With LeBron anything is possible those dudes love making moves behind the scenes.

You make some valid points, but no one is going to choose the Charlotte Hornets over one of if not the most storied franchise in sports.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,522

Post#331 » by JustBuzzin » Mon May 6, 2024 5:43 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:JJ is smart, he's not going to choose a aging LeBron and AD over a chance to coach Miller the way he was all giddy about Miller comparing him to Jayson Tatum. He wants a guy who he can grow with.

You make some valid points, but no one is going to choose the Charlotte Hornets over one of if not the most storied franchise in sports.
Yeah might be true.

I'm just looking at JJ and the stuff he said in the past. I remember a few years ago on First Take he was saying the Lakers run was over because LeBron age and AD's injury history. Maybe he changed his mind since then who knows.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#332 » by fatlever » Mon May 6, 2024 6:00 pm

no coach is turning down lebron and the lakers. they all have an ego. they all think they can be the coach to get lebron his last ring or else they wouldn't be seeking head coaching in the first place.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,199

Post#333 » by Rich4114 » Mon May 6, 2024 7:22 pm

This wait, after going through the exact same thing 24 months ago is hilariously sad.
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,556

Post#334 » by Bassman » Mon May 6, 2024 7:51 pm

Rich4114 wrote:This wait, after going through the exact same thing 24 months ago is hilariously sad.

We’re the “plain” girl waiting for an invite to the prom. The band has started playing, and so far no corsage in sight.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#335 » by JMAC3 » Mon May 6, 2024 8:38 pm

Read on Twitter

Plowright thinks we agreed to deal with Lee, but want the league to think we didn't for some reason. Going as far leaking fake rumors that Redick is a candidate... idk feels like wishful thinking from a guy that was against Redick.

Meanwhile Hornets have agreed to Lee, but we are pulling the wool over the NBA eyes acting like he could be a coach for the Lakers? Idk seems like a narrative that makes less sense the more you think about it.

Are we really expecting to wait until after the finals is over to know if Lee is the coach potentially?
Big Board
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,585

Post#336 » by HornetJail » Mon May 6, 2024 8:55 pm

the actual likely situation is that we probably know who we want, but our candidate wants to interview for the Lakers job first.

which is why we should've done this whole thing midseason. We've known forever that Clifford was a lame duck. Why wait?
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#337 » by JMAC3 » Mon May 6, 2024 9:05 pm

HornetJail wrote:the actual likely situation is that we probably know who we want, but our candidate wants to interview for the Lakers job first.

which is why we should've done this whole thing midseason. We've known forever that Clifford was a lame duck. Why wait?

The only difference would have been we would have had an interim coach instead. We weren't hiring an outside coach mid year from another teams staff.
Big Board
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,199

Post#338 » by Rich4114 » Mon May 6, 2024 9:13 pm

The speculation on what could be happening behind the scenes and why we maybe haven't had an ounce of news on who we're going to hire is actually more embarrassing than just being somewhat transparent even if there's a struggle in some regards. Right now, the entire world who actually follows this is (rightfully so) just assuming the Lakers are picking our next coach for us by whoever they don't pick. It would be wise for this org to come out and be proactive, unless of course that is actually what is happening. Just sad and embarrassing all the way around.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,202

Post#339 » by SWedd523 » Mon May 6, 2024 9:17 pm

Bassman wrote:
Rich4114 wrote:This wait, after going through the exact same thing 24 months ago is hilariously sad.

We’re the “plain” girl waiting for an invite to the prom. The band has started playing, and so far no corsage in sight.

I'd dance with you bro.

But no funny business, hands stay above the waist.

Penis
KembaWalker
General Manager

Post#340 » by KembaWalker » Mon May 6, 2024 9:17 pm

It’s blatantly obvious we are Lees backup plan if he doesn’t get the Lakers job. I doubt the Lakers would go for Lee, they probably want to make a bigger splash than that. If they did though, I could see Redick going back to his pod while we open up another round of interviews. I don’t believe that Redick is a serious candidate, he’s just doing the Gruden thing where he will ride “interviews” for years to bolster his credibility as a commentator

Lee may also want to delay to see if the Boston is tired of Mazzulas antics if say Cleveland knocks them out

Return to Charlotte Hornets