New Coach Search Thread

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,711

Re: New Coach Search Thread 

Post#341 » by fatlever » Mon May 6, 2024 9:18 pm

i'm just not buying the theory that we have a deal in place with (lets say) lee, but are waiting on playoffs to be over to announce because we don't want to cause distraction for celtics.

asst coaches get hired all the time from teams in playoffs. doesn't have to be a distraction. example: mike brown announced as coach of kings on may 9. warriors were still in playoff and won a title. no distraction.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,199

Post#342 » by Rich4114 » Mon May 6, 2024 9:19 pm

KembaWalker wrote:It’s blatantly obvious we are Lees backup plan if he doesn’t get the Lakers job. I doubt the Lakers would go for Lee, they probably want to make a bigger splash than that. If they did though, I could see Redick going back to his pod while we open up another round of interviews. I don’t believe that Redick is a serious candidate, he’s just doing the Gruden thing where he will ride “interviews” for years to bolster his credibility as a commentator

Lee may also want to delay to see if the Boston is tired of Mazzulas antics if say Cleveland knocks them out

"if say Cleveland knocks them out" there's no way that happens lol
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#343 » by fatlever » Mon May 6, 2024 9:20 pm

i do buy the theory that we won't let anything leak until the deal is 100% complete to avoid another atkinson disaster.
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,252

Post#344 » by JMAC3 » Mon May 6, 2024 9:32 pm

fatlever wrote:i'm just not buying the theory that we have a deal in place with (lets say) lee, but are waiting on playoffs to be over to announce because we don't want to cause distraction for celtics.

asst coaches get hired all the time from teams in playoffs. doesn't have to be a distraction. example: mike brown announced as coach of kings on may 9. warriors were still in playoff and won a title. no distraction.

Recent example as well: Kevin Young was interviewing for jobs and even accepted the job with BYU while still coaching for Suns. He stayed through the end of the playoffs, but publicly announced it prior to.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,296

Post#345 » by KembaWalker » Mon May 6, 2024 9:44 pm

Rich4114 wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:It’s blatantly obvious we are Lees backup plan if he doesn’t get the Lakers job. I doubt the Lakers would go for Lee, they probably want to make a bigger splash than that. If they did though, I could see Redick going back to his pod while we open up another round of interviews. I don’t believe that Redick is a serious candidate, he’s just doing the Gruden thing where he will ride “interviews” for years to bolster his credibility as a commentator

Lee may also want to delay to see if the Boston is tired of Mazzulas antics if say Cleveland knocks them out

"if say Cleveland knocks them out" there's no way that happens lol

Anything could happen w injuries. Tatum rolled ankle killed them last time. I don’t think that excuse would save Mazzulas job another year
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,262

Post#346 » by luciano-davidwesley » Mon May 6, 2024 9:56 pm

Yep we are clearly the backup plan(s) of whoever we have identified as our preferred candidate(s).

I actually think we have a pretty interesting opportunity for a HC if our owners aren't complete tightasses for once (big if)
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#347 » by Rich4114 » Tue May 7, 2024 2:21 pm

The only other opening is LAL. I am thinking if the Suns were going to fire Vogel, they would've done it by now. It definitely seems like the Lakers are hiring our next coach.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,554

Post#348 » by JustBuzzin » Tue May 7, 2024 2:53 pm

The Lakers have a better location. If it's purely basketball how do you go with a aging LeBron and AD. Those guys will get a HC fired every few years. Is it really worth it for a 1st time HC?

Charlotte has 2 young potential all-stars in Melo and Miller and a potential top 5 pick and flexibility with our current roster construction salary wise. We can make a potential big trade down the line with our assets.

Cmon JJ and Lee make the right choice. Come change the culture in Charlotte you will be a legend in the Carolina's forever. :D
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,536

Post#349 » by GoBobs » Tue May 7, 2024 4:08 pm

I would offer the job to Rasheed Wallace just to hear refer to Wembanyama, as Wamba Wamba
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,701

Post#350 » by yosemiteben » Tue May 7, 2024 6:10 pm

Rich4114 wrote:The only other opening is LAL. I am thinking if the Suns were going to fire Vogel, they would've done it by now. It definitely seems like the Lakers are hiring our next coach.

Meh, I don't know about that. I'll be shocked if Vogel survives this summer, but they have a ton of big questions to answer before we know what they're going to do.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#351 » by fatlever » Wed May 8, 2024 7:39 pm

Read on Twitter

schnall at wells fargo event today
"we're not gonna wait on anything" (i assume the question was about waiting for playoffs to announce coach? clip was cut off)
"You'll see an announcement from us pretty soon. We're getting very close on a coach, excited about that, and we're getting very close on hiring a new business president as well."

edit
"Co-Chairman & Governor of the Charlotte Hornets Rick Schnall says the Hornets are getting very close to hiring a new head coach and that they aren't waiting for anything as far as certain teams to finish in the playoffs to make that decision. "
Read on Twitter
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#352 » by Rich4114 » Wed May 8, 2024 8:01 pm

fatlever wrote:
Read on Twitter

"we're not gonna wait on anything" (i assume the question was about waiting for playoffs to announce coach? clip was cut off)
"You'll see an announcement from us pretty soon. We're getting very close on a coach, excited about that, and we're getting very close on hiring a new business president as well."

edit
"Co-Chairman & Governor of the Charlotte Hornets Rick Schnall says the Hornets are getting very close to hiring a new head coach and that they aren't waiting for anything as far as certain teams to finish in the playoffs to make that decision. "
Read on Twitter

Why are they being so weird about this?
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,307

Post#353 » by amcoolio » Wed May 8, 2024 8:08 pm

JJ apparently told an 8 year old kid to shut the **** up lol
I think its Lee, but would be happy with Redick as well

I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,701

Post#354 » by yosemiteben » Wed May 8, 2024 8:09 pm

Rich4114 wrote:Why are they being so weird about this?

Have to think it's because they got burned and completely embarrassed two summers ago.
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,556

Post#355 » by Bassman » Wed May 8, 2024 8:26 pm

amcoolio wrote:JJ apparently told an 8 year old kid to shut the **** up lol

Yeah I’m off the Reddick train. Beyond having zero experience, I think the guy is a genuine prick.

Hopeful it’s Lee or a surprise…maybe even a grown up with really good experience……

“Bud…..wise….ER!”
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#356 » by Rich4114 » Wed May 8, 2024 8:32 pm

Bassman wrote:

Yeah I’m off the Reddick train. Beyond having zero experience, I think the guy is a genuine prick.

Hopeful it’s Lee or a surprise…maybe even a grown up with really good experience……

“Bud…..wise….ER!”

I would jump for joy if it was Bud. All would be forgiven (on the coaching stuff).
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#357 » by fatlever » Wed May 8, 2024 8:51 pm

the real question is why is he on camera wearing his shirt completely unbuttoned? looks like first week of covid lockdown when idiots had no idea how to act on work cameras lol.
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#358 » by JustBuzzin » Wed May 8, 2024 9:01 pm

Rich4114 wrote:
fatlever wrote:
Read on Twitter

edit
Read on Twitter

Why are they being so weird about this?

Because that's what we do!

I mean they still haven't really gave an update on on Mark's back injury. Is he just resting until it recovers. Does he need surgery? What about Melo what happened with his ankle did he have a setback after all-star. They reported he was close to returning after all-star and he never returned.
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#359 » by JustBuzzin » Wed May 8, 2024 9:03 pm

It should be a crime to have a HC that sexy. 8-)

#InJJWeTrust
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,549

Post#360 » by LofJ » Thu May 9, 2024 12:22 pm

Redick, if he's being honest about how much he misses the league, 100% deserves a coaching opportunity somewhere. Where I have an issue though is him jumping to the front of the line and immediately becoming a head coach.

All that said I'm pretty sure he's the guy the Lakers are going to hire. And we're going to hire either Charles Lee or Darvin Ham. Bud will probably end up replacing Vogel in Phoenix.

Return to Charlotte Hornets