Bathed in the Rapture of Mark Williams Thread

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,552

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: Mark Williams 

Post#41 » by LofJ » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:14 am

Read on Twitter

Nice work by whoever does Duke's Twitter account.
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,260

Post#42 » by JMAC3 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:34 am

Interesting to see how Mark, Kai, Thor develop in the frontcourt this year.

I would assume Mark starts season as backup center behind Plumlee. or maybe he takes off from day 1 and is the franchise center.

Overall like the Mark pick, not sure about the draft as a whole.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,307

Post#43 » by amcoolio » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:37 am

I think Mark starts day 1. He's pro-ready, huge (7'2"), and already a good defender which is what limits rookies who don't play. He probably only plays 18-24 minutes a game though.

No way we guarantee Plumlee to keep him. I think he is being moved.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,260

Post#44 » by JMAC3 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:17 am

Mark Williams three games that stand out to me looking at boxscores. Like that his best games aren't against Gardner Webb and Elon. Seems like he plays his best vs good comp.

Vs Gonzaga. 17 points, 9 boards, 6 blocks on 8/9 shooting

vs NCST. 19 points, 11 boards, 8 blocks on 9/12 shooting.

vs Syracuse. 28 points, 12 boards, 3 blocks on 11/14 shooting.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
penquin11
Sixth Man
And1: 148

Post#45 » by penquin11 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:26 am

please be our Gobert please be our Gobert please be our Gobert
Devilzsidewalk wrote:no, the DB's will just be thinking "damn, I thought that was going to be a run!" as they easily recover to intercept a Ponder pass 10 yards off the mark
CuseMayne
Sixth Man
And1: 1,377

Post#46 » by CuseMayne » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:31 am

amcoolio wrote:I think Mark starts day 1. He's pro-ready, huge (7'2"), and already a good defender which is what limits rookies who don't play. He probably only plays 18-24 minutes a game though.

I agree, but I think it might be possible, or even likely, Mason's here for another year as the backup. And even if anyone in the organization thinks the plan is that Mason will start, Williams will just blow him out of the water in training camp. You really think Mason can stop Williams...? I doubt it. The Duke connection is there as well, and it might not be the worst thing in the world for Mason to teach Mark how to be at least a serviceable passing C in today's NBA.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#47 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:49 am

amcoolio wrote:I think Mark starts day 1. He's pro-ready, huge (7'2"), and already a good defender which is what limits rookies who don't play. He probably only plays 18-24 minutes a game though.

Who is the only Bobcats era rookie who started from day 1?

Hint--It's not Kemba or LaMelo.

Spoiler:
MKG ... and I would argue that starting so soon was one of the things that shattered his self confidence.

Anyway, Center & PG are the NBA's toughest positions to learn. It very well may be that Williams' is starting by the end of the year, but I personally feel like it's better to let guys grow into the starter role.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
-Ian-
Analyst
And1: 856

Post#48 » by -Ian- » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:16 pm

Are there mock drafts who had Williams higher than Duren? I still shocked that Kupchak had Mark as his first choice.
MPM
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,720

Post#49 » by MPM » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:20 pm

-Ian- wrote:Are there mock draft who had Williams higher than Duren? I still shocked that Kupchak had Mark as his first choice.

There were a few, plus a handful of draftniks that liked him better as a basketball player. The draft is all about eye-popping athleticism and potential though, so Duren wins that debate every time. I honestly would've been OK with either, even though Williams was more my guy heading into the draft - just a better fit with a better shot, better defensively and more ready to contribute - I'll trade a tad lower upside for this.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,105

Post#50 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:28 pm

Duren was always going to be the sexier pick by just sheer physique. We will see who is actually better at basketball
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
MPM
Assistant Coach

Post#51 » by MPM » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:36 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:Duren was always going to be the sexier pick by just sheer physique. We will see who is actually better at basketball

The other thing is Duren never measured out, correct? We know Williams is freakish big. Duren may wind up being more Thomas Robinson sized.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,105

Post#52 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:47 pm

MPM wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:Duren was always going to be the sexier pick by just sheer physique. We will see who is actually better at basketball

The other thing is Duren never measured out, correct? We know Williams is freakish big. Duren may wind up being more Thomas Robinson sized.

That and he backed out of a workout with us. I can see duren averaging 14/8 on a horrid Pistons team next season and people freaking out. We'll see in 3 or 4 years though
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,585

Post#53 » by HornetJail » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:11 pm

formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Rays Pompadour
Senior
And1: 423

Post#54 » by Rays Pompadour » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:56 pm

Williams addresses a problem that should have been solved last summer, or at least during the season. Kupchak is a deliberate dude and has a stubbornness to his plodding ways that's annoying. I'd love to see something creative from that guy. That said, Mark Williams is the long-term correction the Hornets have been desperately in need of.

Williams lacks lower body strength and gets 'into' himself on the low block. He hasn't yet figured out how to position his body and therefore hasn't developed a low post game. I think he'll be an outstanding pick and pop player who can extend to the three point line. His handle can improve and he'll need to watch his fouling. Rookies get zero grace in that regard. His pick-and-roll defense needs a lot of work, though that's true for all rookies. His greatest impact next season will be at the rim.

It'll take some time for him to adjust to NBA play, but I believe he'll be starting some after the All Star break and regularly in the rotation by the playoffs. I project Williams to be a premium piece for the franchise in the years to come.
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 997

Post#55 » by wilson115 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:58 pm

MPM wrote:

Seems the case seeing Duren in this crowd:
https://www.fox44news.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/82/2022/06/7b4658b2c59e4af3847efccbcffa21ab.jpg

KRYSTEN PEEK: I mean, there were reports that you weren't 6' 10", you weren't 6' 11", you were maybe closer to 6' 9". Were you measured at any of these workouts? And--

JALEN DUREN: So my official measurement-- I'm glad that you asked that-- was 6' 10" without shoes on, 6' 11" with shoes on. I feel like that's something that I wanted to show people. Because I don't know where-- I don't know, I don't know.

But I guess people just felt like I was smaller than what I am. I guess they just had to see me in person.

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/nba-draft-jalen-duren-joining-030956434.html
-Ian-
Analyst
And1: 856

Post#56 » by -Ian- » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:03 pm

It will be interesting to know if he will wear #15. I love Kemba so I hope Mark could choose another jersey number.
MPM
Assistant Coach

Post#57 » by MPM » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:06 pm

wilson115 wrote:
MPM wrote:

Seems the case seeing Duren in this crowd:
https://www.fox44news.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/82/2022/06/7b4658b2c59e4af3847efccbcffa21ab.jpg

KRYSTEN PEEK: I mean, there were reports that you weren't 6' 10", you weren't 6' 11", you were maybe closer to 6' 9". Were you measured at any of these workouts? And--

JALEN DUREN: So my official measurement-- I'm glad that you asked that-- was 6' 10" without shoes on, 6' 11" with shoes on. I feel like that's something that I wanted to show people. Because I don't know where-- I don't know, I don't know.

But I guess people just felt like I was smaller than what I am. I guess they just had to see me in person.

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/nba-draft-jalen-duren-joining-030956434.html

Good pic - judging by the back row (and Banchero, Sochan, and Dieng) he looks 6'9-6'10.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#58 » by BigSlam » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:08 pm

BigSlam wrote:Seems really “nice”.

Would have liked a rabid dog type back there. A defensive general to forge our identify.

Listening to him speak his personality reminds me a little of Okafor.

I was thinking about this overnight.

It might not be a bad thing that he is "nice" guy. This team looks like it needs some maturity, and perhaps Williams is the guy to bring that. He doesn't seem like the "I can't understand what he is saying when he talks" or "crazy hair" or "crazier tattoos" or "diamond grill wearing" or "purple drank drinking" or "baby momma trouble" type of kid.

We could probably do with a straight arrow.

The other Williams we had, that most of us loved (Marvin) had a quiet demeanor off the floor, but really set the tone on it - and not by being flashy and obnoxious. Just by being mature.

Be good if this Williams is like that Williams in that way.
B B M F 'ers
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#59 » by BigSlam » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:09 pm

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:

Who is the only Bobcats era rookie who started from day 1?

Hint--It's not Kemba or LaMelo.

Spoiler:
MKG ... and I would argue that starting so soon was one of the things that shattered his self confidence.

Anyway, Center & PG are the NBA's toughest positions to learn. It very well may be that Williams' is starting by the end of the year, but I personally feel like it's better to let guys grow into the starter role.

Okafor didn't?
B B M F 'ers
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#60 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:19 pm

BigSlam wrote:Okafor didn't?

You know, I forgot to check him. He did indeed start year 1, but Yoga man never didn't exactly wow for a #2 pick on a bad team.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody

Return to Charlotte Hornets