Post#382 » by LofJ » Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:32 am

Mark is setting some goals:

Read on Twitter
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,552

Re: Condorman: The Mark Williams Thread 

Post#383 » by LofJ » Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:46 pm

I'm down on the organization, but we have some talented players on this roster. Mark might be just as talented a defender as LaMelo is at playmaking. He has the makings of a defensive monster. I don't think it's hyperbole to say he has the ability to be the most impactful defensive player we've had since Gerald Wallace (no offense MKG).

Scroll through the entire thread, you won't regret it. The whole thing is delightful.

Read on Twitter
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,199

Post#384 » by Rich4114 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:17 pm

LofJ wrote:I'm down on the organization, but we have some talented players on this roster. Mark might be just as talented a defender as LaMelo is at playmaking. He has the makings of a defensive monster. I don't think it's hyperbole to say he has the ability to be the most impactful defensive player we've had since Gerald Wallace (no offense MKG).

Scroll through the entire thread, you won't regret it. The whole thing is delightful.

Read on Twitter

Just read this one myself and it's solid analysis; worth the read for sure. Mark is definitely one of our most exciting young prospects and what he showed in his rookie year exceeded my expectations.
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,068

Post#385 » by Hoopz Afrik » Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:38 pm

Let me just say, Condorman is a fire nickname and idk if that's a real thing or not but I hope it sticks.

As it pertains to Mark the player, I feel like he can have a really eye-opening year that'll change the perception around the league for not only him but for the franchise moving forward. He seems like he'll be a perfect fit next to LaMelo at the 5. Loved him at Duke. He's a mountain of a man, moved well, has great hands, can actually make his free throws, and can really be a game-breaking defender. I only caught a few Hornets game on LP after yall moved Mason but loved what I saw from him and really think he can change the trajectory of your team.

Not saying anything you all don't know already so I'm prolly just preaching to the choir but I just wanted to come and give a shoutout to him/yall.
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 997

Post#386 » by wilson115 » Sun Aug 6, 2023 11:11 am

Been waiting for someone to put together his rookie reel:

Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,164

Post#387 » by Snidely FC » Sun Aug 6, 2023 1:25 pm

Future All-Star
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 949

Post#388 » by MugzZo » Sun Aug 6, 2023 10:56 pm

Stud with the potential to be the 2nd most important or best player on the team.

Sent from my SM-F936U using RealGM mobile app
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 949

Post#389 » by MugzZo » Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:08 pm

How big of an impact do you think her will make this year? I think he's prime to breakout at about 16-10-2-1-2. That last 3 being asists steal and block. I really think he going to atleast help change the culture. I can't wait to watch him develop with Melo. If y'all thought bridges was good his last year with us, Mark can be just as impacted. He passes they eye test easily.

HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,585

Post#390 » by HornetJail » Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:44 pm

MugzZo wrote:How big of an impact do you think her will make this year? I think he's prime to breakout at about 16-10-2-1-2. That last 3 being asists steal and block. I really think he going to atleast help change the culture. I can't wait to watch him develop with Melo. If y'all thought bridges was good his last year with us, Mark can be just as impacted. He passes they eye test easily.

Mark's impact will be felt a lot more on defense than it will in the box score. 16ppg would require a pretty massive jump in skill, but would be such a leg up for us. 16/10 and 2 blocks feels completely unattainable right now. I'm expecting somewhere around 11/10 and 1.5bpg. Somehow those seemingly modest numbers were only matched by Embiid and AD last season.

Even if his production is lower than that, his archetype is EXACTLY what we need for our roster instead of dicking around with bums like Plumlee. It's still kind of unbelievable to me he fell all the way to our pick last year.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,474

Post#391 » by Hornet Mania » Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:31 am

I'm not worried about stats so much as his impact on the defense and rim running. He crushed it last year in that role at the end of the season, so I'm very optimistic. The difference with Mark on the floor was tangible, eye test, defensive rating, even the W-L record reflected it.

I think Mark will always have more impact in reality than on paper, which is fine. We'll get some 20/10 games when the circumstances are right but for the most part he'll do the less glamorous stuff that really impacts winning. That's great, we have guys who can put up stats anyway, we need a few who can impact the game positively without touching the ball.
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#392 » by Rich4114 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:07 pm

I'll echo what some others have already said, Mark's impact might be felt most in the W/L column more than anywhere. He really does unlock what this team can do on both ends and I'm excited to see how it looks for a full season with all of our guys back. He may not put up a lot of points, but I could see him averaging double figures in points/rebs.
esoteric001
Sophomore
And1: 15

Post#393 » by esoteric001 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:27 pm

Crazy to think Mark only played half the games last season. He had such a big impact late in the season its easy to forget he spent all that time in the G-league.

Def excited to see how he grows this season.
broadcasting live from row A1 of the upper level at the stunning new Time Warner Cable Arena!
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#394 » by Rich4114 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:26 pm

esoteric001 wrote:Crazy to think Mark only played half the games last season. He had such a big impact late in the season its easy to forget he spent all that time in the G-league.

It is also crazy that the fans seemed to know better than the organization that simply trading Plumlee so coach is forced to play Mark Williams would have a NET+ benefit on the team. But I like to think the g-league experience did help him develop and that's led to where his current projection is.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,585

Post#395 » by HornetJail » Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:36 pm

Rich4114 wrote:
esoteric001 wrote:Crazy to think Mark only played half the games last season. He had such a big impact late in the season its easy to forget he spent all that time in the G-league.

It is also crazy that the fans seemed to know better than the organization that simply trading Plumlee so coach is forced to play Mark Williams would have a NET+ benefit on the team. But I like to think the g-league experience did help him develop and that's led to where his current projection is.

If this team was run by more savvy people, I'd be convinced that Clifford running the entire offense through Plumlee for 3+ months was our method of purposeful tanking, due to the trifecta of 1) Plumlee being the exact opposite type of center the rest of this roster dictates, 2) cannibalizing Hayward's game so that he had nothing to do but be a spot up shooter (note his stats jump the second Plumlee was traded) and 3) Mark Williams being an obvious immediate impact player once he would see the court.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Reikai
Ballboy
And1: 19

Post#396 » by Reikai » Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:23 pm

He is such a sleeper, can't wait to see his sophmore season.
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#397 » by Rich4114 » Fri Sep 1, 2023 2:03 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
Rich4114 wrote:

If this team was run by more savvy people, I'd be convinced that Clifford running the entire offense through Plumlee for 3+ months was our method of purposeful tanking, due to the trifecta of 1) Plumlee being the exact opposite type of center the rest of this roster dictates, 2) cannibalizing Hayward's game so that he had nothing to do but be a spot up shooter (note his stats jump the second Plumlee was traded) and 3) Mark Williams being an obvious immediate impact player once he would see the court.

As much of a fan favorite Plumlee was at times, he was absolutely the weakest link. He was a good passing big, decent basketball IQ but so limited defensively, got bodied around, tried to do too much with the ball, didn't really rebound and was a massive liability at the ft line. Another example of a guy who would provide quality minutes as a reserve off the bench in a somewhat limited role. It really was addition by subtraction because you can't teach the type of things Mark Williams has naturally that was really missing on this roster. I can't wait to see how he does with another season of development and experience plus playing alongside LaMelo and Miles. He's going to live off easy buckets and blocks.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,387

Post#398 » by JDR720 » Fri Sep 1, 2023 3:41 pm

Plumlee is the best player we've ever had, not his fault Cliff didn't know how to use him.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,712

Post#399 » by fatlever » Tue Oct 3, 2023 11:26 pm

Don't **** with Mark
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,705