ImageImage

2024 Draft Prospect: Stephon Castle

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,405

Re: 2024 Draft Prospect: Stephon Castle 

Post#61 » by MasterIchiro » Thu May 16, 2024 2:36 pm

Many teams use 6th man or bring shooting off the bench. NSJ did lead all rookies in 3 PT% and he's still very young and has a great attitude. He's highly coachable.
It has been written...
lmcguir15
Freshman
And1: 65

Post#62 » by lmcguir15 » Thu May 16, 2024 2:45 pm

MugzZo wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
MugzZo wrote:Yeah I'm down for that. It will happen. It's getting hard for me to pick between castle and Holland now. I could go either way on any given day. All Ithen is I want one of them.

Sent from my SM-F936U using RealGM mobile app

Dude is talking pretty confident. Saying he sacrificed tells me he knows he has more talent he just needs the ball in his hands more. I think he might be the best player in this draft when all is said and done.
If he really gets his shooting in order, he's gonna be a problem. In a good way. Every other attribute and skill is there.

His best hope is to have a De'Aaron Fox arc. Comes into the league as a big, physical ball handler that likes to get to the rim, but the perimeter shooting is highly questionable. Fox was also seen as a good defender, much like we see Castle now.

Fox was rough in Y1, posting a 41% mark from the field and shooting 31% from 3. His 3 point shooting before this year was always below league average (outside of his Y2 anomaly), but one thing he's always been good at is getting to the foul line, which made up for his shortcomings on the arc with And 1 opportunities.

Maybe Castle doesn't become a knockdown 3 point shooter, but with his size and learning how to set up defenders, I'm confident he will get to the rim easily. Fox was always the primary ball handler, so it is a fair question of if Charlotte is his best developmental landing spot with LaMelo in the fold. I would still bet on his profile though.
"It's true, you can't lose what you don't put in the middle. But you can't win very much either."
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,739

Post#63 » by fatlever » Thu May 16, 2024 8:14 pm

castle will go #2 to wiz or #4 to spurs
KingCat
Sixth Man
And1: 852

Post#64 » by KingCat » Thu May 16, 2024 8:32 pm

I also don't see him lasting till 6. Don't believe in the Clingan top 5 hype.
Your Charlotte Hornets! We’ll eventually get something right;right?
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,363

Post#65 » by JMAC3 » Thu May 16, 2024 8:39 pm

fatlever wrote:castle will go #2 to wiz or #4 to spurs

I mean he still can't shoot the ball and his athleticism at the combine was slightly above average. He could go top 5, but I think him measuring decent doesn't all of a sudden make him a lock.

11 ppg, shot under 27% from 3, poor steal and block rates for an elite defender.
His assist rate was well below the standard you see for incoming pg prospects as well.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#66 » by fatlever » Thu May 16, 2024 8:51 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
fatlever wrote:castle will go #2 to wiz or #4 to spurs

I mean he still can't shoot the ball and his athleticism at the combine was slightly above average. He could go top 5, but I think him measuring decent doesn't all of a sudden make him a lock.

11 ppg, shot under 27% from 3, poor steal and block rates for an elite defender.
His assist rate was well below the standard you see for incoming pg prospects as well.

everyone after sarr is a giant question mark with equally concerning negatives. wiz need culture change, just like us, and need a point guard. spurs could anchor an insane defense with castle as POA and wemby in paint.

amen seems like enough of an overlap to castle that rockets will pass in favor of shooting or a big, maybe same with ausar in detroit.

my guess at top 4
1. hawks -> sarr
2. wiz -> castle
3. rockets -> risacher
4. spurs -> topic, reed or dillingham (crazy choice, clingan to let wemby play pf in super size front court)
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 7,047

Post#67 » by JustBuzzin » Thu May 16, 2024 10:10 pm

As much as I want Castle, I'm prepared he won't even be available.

I think Risacher may be the guy who falls at the top. He's basically a 3&D wing without the ball handling ability. Kind of hard to see the Spurs passing on Castle imo.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#68 » by MasterIchiro » Thu May 16, 2024 10:56 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:As much as I want Castle, I'm prepared he won't even be available.

I think Risacher may be the guy who falls at the top. He's basically a 3&D wing without the ball handling ability. Kind of hard to see the Spurs passing on Castle imo.

Yeah, Risacher has no ability to put the ball on the floor and create off the dribble. He's dependent on a system that runs set plays (according to Plowright). But you need playmakers to set up those plays. Mark is minus one. Offense won't work if Risacher is minus two.

Given Mark as our center longterm, we definitely need 4 other starters who facilitate.

That's not Risacher nor Holland.

Both of those guys are falling and will be there when we select. We need someone to take Risacher top 5 or else Castle will not be there.
It has been written...
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#69 » by fatlever » Thu May 16, 2024 11:28 pm

You could make the same argument for non shooters... aka mark and castle.

We need size, shooters, playmaker and defenders. Sadly there's no obvious guy who does all 4 from the start. Castle and risacher both give you 3.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,282

Post#70 » by luciano-davidwesley » Thu May 16, 2024 11:43 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:So my conclusion:

Need a 2
Prefer size
Need a POA defender (guards 1-3)
Need secondary playmaker with Mark longterm 5

Check check check for Castle. No team drafting ahead of us needs these assets/traits like Charlotte.

If there is one thing that is proven year after year in the draft it is that you do not draft for team fit. Take the BPA and work it out.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#71 » by MasterIchiro » Fri May 17, 2024 1:26 am

luciano-davidwesley wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:So my conclusion:

Need a 2
Prefer size
Need a POA defender (guards 1-3)
Need secondary playmaker with Mark longterm 5

Check check check for Castle. No team drafting ahead of us needs these assets/traits like Charlotte.

If there is one thing that is proven year after year in the draft it is that you do not draft for team fit. Take the BPA and work it out.

There are no talent tiers in this draft. So the best player available is highly contingent on the destination not the individual talent. Team dynamics come into play. So the draft is more complex.
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#72 » by MasterIchiro » Fri May 17, 2024 1:29 am

Put differently, this draft is unprecedented in terms of fit being so critical given the flatness of the talent in the lottery. BPA is going to be different for every team. The best guy available is the best guy for your team.
It has been written...
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 967

Post#73 » by MugzZo » Fri May 17, 2024 2:13 am

How did he fall to 12 in br mock draft?

MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#74 » by MasterIchiro » Fri May 17, 2024 12:49 pm

In line with the conversations regarding teams drafting for fit as cited by ESPN Jeremy Woo, and given Castle played a specialized role in a team-oriented program, I want to present an exercise where Hornets players recreate similar conditions surrounding Castle that helped make him successful and contributed to championship basketball.

After all, Stephon Castle is a big reason why he's a champion (within the context of his roster, of course).

So how would his pro teammates stack up in their roles compared to his NCAA contemporaries?

Do the Hornets have the winning formula with Stephon Castle?

LaMelo vs. Tristen Newton

Newton was primary ball handler supporting Castle as secondary playmaker. Newton spaced the floor with accurate 3-point shooting, all-around balanced playmaking springing from high IQ/intuition as a ball distributor. Newton also scored on all 3 levels. I see many similarities in skill specialization here. Newton had great size at the 1. LaMelo is long and jumbo sized. He just needs to add strength to create more separation from other NBA lead guards as 3-level scorer.

Caste the Hornet vs Castle the Husky

At UConn, Castle was a glue guy on offense and formed a bedrock of the first layer of defense in front of Donovan Clingan. He can stay in front of smaller players and already has NBA size and strength to play the 2 as secondary playmaker. Prediction: Hornets will bring out the best in him and he will contribute to winning faster than most of his class, if not all of them.

Brandon Miller vs.Cam Spencer

Spencer is known for carving space with an accurate (and deep) three point shot. Spencer played with uncanny poise and though he's not known for it, can put the ball on the floor and create shots in other ways while slipping clever passes that display the game slows down for him and he sees the court. Spencer plays a great deal like Grayson Allen, with fire and intensity. He's not just a shooter either. Sound familiar?

Alex Karaban vs. Miles Bridges

Karaban spaced the floor mostly with three-point shooting. Bridges spaces with scoring on all 3 levels and with playmaking ability. As third option, Miles is a more well-rounded player on offense. Karaban is a better defender, but Grant Williams can match it at the 4.

Donovan Clingan vs. Mark Williams

Mammoth, sure-handed rim protectors, both. For their size, they run the floor well in transition. These guys can both anchor a defense and finish plays. High percentage scorers and deterrents against rim attacks.

There you have it.

The second Adam Silver calls his name, the Hornets are destined to become NBA champions, thanks to the UConn Huskies and coach Danny Hurley for revealing the secret formula.
It has been written...
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#75 » by JMAC3 » Fri May 17, 2024 1:51 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:In line with the conversations regarding teams drafting for fit as cited by ESPN Jeremy Woo, and given Castle played a specialized role in a team-oriented program, I want to present an exercise where Hornets players recreate similar conditions surrounding Castle that helped make him successful and contributed to championship basketball.

After all, Stephon Castle is a big reason why he's a champion (within the context of his roster, of course).

So how would his pro teammates stack up in their roles compared to his NCAA contemporaries?

Newton was primary ball handler supporting Castle as secondary playmaker. Newton spaced the floor with accurate 3-point shooting, all-around balanced playmaking springing from high IQ/intuition as a ball distributor. Newton also scored on all 3 levels. I see many similarities in skill specialization here. Newton had great size at the 1. LaMelo is long and jumbo sized. He just needs to add strength to create more separation from other NBA lead guards as 3-level scorer.

At UConn, Castle was a glue guy on offense and formed a bedrock of the first layer of defense in front of Donovan Clingan. He can stay in front of smaller players and already has NBA size and strength to play the 2 as secondary playmaker. Prediction: Hornets will bring out the best in him and he will contribute to winning faster than most of his class, if not all of them.

Spencer is known for carving space with an accurate (and deep) three point shot. Spencer played with uncanny poise and though he's not known for it, can put the ball on the floor and create shots in other ways while slipping clever passes that display the game slows down for him and he sees the court. Spencer plays a great deal like Grayson Allen, with fire and intensity. He's not just a shooter either. Sound familiar?

Karaban spaced the floor mostly with three-point shooting. Bridges spaces with scoring on all 3 levels and with playmaking ability. As third option, Miles is a more well-rounded player on offense. Karaban is a better defender, but Grant Williams can match it at the 4.

Mammoth, sure-handed rim protectors, both. For their size, they run the floor well in transition. These guys can both anchor a defense and finish plays. High percentage scorers and deterrents against rim attacks.

There you have it.

The second Adam Silver calls his name, the Hornets are destined to become NBA champions, thanks to the UConn Huskies and coach Danny Hurley for revealing the secret formula.

Uconn won the title because all 5 starters are probably going to get drafted or at least be on 2way contracts next year... How many other schools can say that? Purdue has 1 guy who will probably ever put on an NBA uniform
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#76 » by MasterIchiro » Fri May 17, 2024 2:02 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:In line with the conversations regarding teams drafting for fit as cited by ESPN Jeremy Woo, and given Castle played a specialized role in a team-oriented program, I want to present an exercise where Hornets players recreate similar conditions surrounding Castle that helped make him successful and contributed to championship basketball.

There you have it.

Uconn won the title because all 5 starters are probably going to get drafted or at least be on 2way contracts next year... How many other schools can say that? Purdue has 1 guy who will probably ever put on an NBA uniform

So ungrateful. Sheesh!
It has been written...
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 892

Post#77 » by Chapelchilla » Fri May 17, 2024 3:25 pm

It was a good write up!

What do we think about Castles quoted desire to be a point guard in the NBA?
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#78 » by MasterIchiro » Fri May 17, 2024 4:11 pm

Chapelchilla wrote:It was a good write up!

Appreciate the positive feedback, nice to know some are still capable. I watched a healthy share of UConn basketball and have many years of comparison over the years. So I study/analyze how UConn teams are constructed, and how the teams that fell short could have arranged the pieces more like the teams that succeeded.

I honestly think the young core of the Hornets can replicate a winning formula. This was the take-home message. Nothing is identical between UConn and Charlotte, but I wanted to look at Castle within each team concept.

Castle is a team player. So I'm confident he will respond well to coaching and improve. He had to have known when he committed that Newton would return as starting PG and that he would be running some sets while mostly playing the role of a secondary playmaker to develop his playmaking.

I think he's posing/posturing as a primary playmaker because the potential to become one increases the likelihood he could contribute significant value as a secondary playmaker even if he falls short of his goal. He's showing a willingness to run NBA offense as a lead man, even though he's not ready for that role. He's never going to become a starting PG in the NBA. But even the worst starting PG on a losing team tends to be a high-end secondary playmaker when paired with a primary playmaker.

Castle has a great attitude. He's ambitious which is a trait we should all embrace. He's also realistic about his limitations and obligations within a team concept. He resisted the urge to go iso throughout a high stakes tournament where most prospects his age selfishly showcase for the scouts.

Winning player.

At our core we're a winning team and I've seen the culture already shifting. We have players who are talented compared to their peers, just like UConn.
It has been written...
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 892

Post#79 » by Chapelchilla » Fri May 17, 2024 6:23 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:
Chapelchilla wrote:It was a good write up!

Appreciate the positive feedback, nice to know some are still capable. I watched a healthy share of UConn basketball and have many years of comparison over the years. So I study/analyze how UConn teams are constructed, and how the teams that fell short could have arranged the pieces more like the teams that succeeded.

I honestly think the young core of the Hornets can replicate a winning formula. This was the take-home message. Nothing is identical between UConn and Charlotte, but I wanted to look at Castle within each team concept.

Castle is a team player. So I'm confident he will respond well to coaching and improve. He had to have known when he committed that Newton would return as starting PG and that he would be running some sets while mostly playing the role of a secondary playmaker to develop his playmaking.

I think he's posing/posturing as a primary playmaker because the potential to become one increases the likelihood he could contribute significant value as a secondary playmaker even if he falls short of his goal. He's showing a willingness to run NBA offense as a lead man, even though he's not ready for that role. He's never going to become a starting PG in the NBA. But even the worst starting PG on a losing team tends to be a high-end secondary playmaker when paired with a primary playmaker.

Castle has a great attitude. He's ambitious which is a trait we should all embrace. He's also realistic about his limitations and obligations within a team concept. He resisted the urge to go iso throughout a high stakes tournament where most prospects his age selfishly showcase for the scouts.

Winning player.

At our core we're a winning team and I've seen the culture already shifting. We have players who are talented compared to their peers, just like UConn.

That seems reasonable and was well articulated!
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#80 » by JMAC3 » Fri May 17, 2024 8:12 pm

Player AST% STL% BLK%
Smart- Fresh 26.80 5.30 2.20
Smart - Soph 30.10 5.00 1.90
Cason Wallace 24.30 3.70 1.60
Jalen Suggs 23.70 3.50 1.10
Bruce Brown 20.90 2.70 2.20
Derrick White 28.60 2.20 4.90