Mass Dispatch 26.0: I want to hear From You; Report Notifications, Dream34

The Happenings On The RealGM Forums With Administrator Howard Mass
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,750

Re: Mass Dispatch 26.0: I want to hear From You; Report Notifications, Dream34 

Post#21 » by Revived » Sun Jan 4, 2015 8:58 am

truth18 wrote:
irie wrote:Please re-add notifications for And1s. It reminds me to check back on topics from a day (or more) old.

Would really appreciate this as well. On the main forums I post on (Celtics board, gen. Soccer, Gamer's lounge), the and1 is never abused and like Irie said, it helps me to remember to go back to certain topics/comments. I know on some boards, like the Raptors forum, it is widely abused but why should that hurt the people who use it as intended?

I think they had mentioned in the other thread that they are working on getting it back.
Maex
Senior
And1: 180

Post#22 » by Maex » Sun Jan 4, 2015 12:45 pm

Big thanks for LittleOzzy's ideas and effort. I am a bit mixed regarding the soccer forum. With the actual user base, it wouldn't make much sense. I can see why it could be the right time to expand especially the MSL part, but I do not think that the soccer board users are the right people to ask. Most of them are international users or interested in international football. It will take a long time (if ever) until the MLS will be relevant outside of the USA.

For me, the main advantage of RealGM as football forum is that all competition are gathered in one forum. I can discuss all teams, competition, leagues,... with people from different origin and also different point of views. The football universe has already a lot of forums specializing on the PL, BL, CL, Man United, Chelsea, Bayern, Champions League,... RealGM (and reddit to an extend) have been standout because they did not separate (besides threads). For international users the extension might be not to appealing, because of the above mentioned reasons.

So the decision regarding the extension might be a bit MLS vs. international football, and RealGM mods/administrators might have to decide which is more important for them. Due to the reason that the majority of the users are based in North America I do think that the extension makes sense. But I would not ask the users from the soccer forum, because potential growth for a MLS forum will most likely come from the NBA/NFL/MLB boards, with a football team in town.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,326

Post#23 » by paulpressey25 » Sun Jan 4, 2015 3:15 pm

Congrats to Ruzious!

We enjoy him over on the Bucks board as well.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Tenbomber
Banned User
And1: 989

Post#24 » by Tenbomber » Sun Jan 4, 2015 5:29 pm

irie wrote:Please re-add notifications for And1s. It reminds me to check back on topics from a day (or more) old.

I have something to add to what irie just asked...

How about allowing us to delete those notifications also?....like we used to be able to do....

IMO...this whole system is like a plugged toilet that putting some Draino in simply won't fix....

It's a mess that needs to be replaced by what used to work just fine...

You should have left well enough alone...

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"....
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,198

Post#25 » by LittleOzzy » Mon Jan 5, 2015 7:28 pm

65 posts over the last week related to MLS soccer on the General Board, and it's the middle of the off season. Very little is happening, so not much to talk about overall.

Imagine how much busier it could be with actual games to talk about. Imagine how much busier is could be with just a slight bit of promotion. Imagine how much busier it could be with direct links tied from the forums of NBA/MLS cities.

It's a small number now, but it's growing every season.

20 posts in the MLS Thread
25 posts in the Toronto FC Thread
18 posts in the New York City FC Thread
2 posts in the Real Salt Lake Thread

If we average 65 posts a week in the first year that's bigger than all but two NHL team forums total. Give MLS fans a chance, and I think you'll be surprised how active the forum becomes. We'll be bigger than every NHL team forum by year two. It's that simple.

Well besides the Leafs. :)
blkout
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,914

Post#26 » by blkout » Tue Jan 6, 2015 12:19 am

Most of those posts are yours though
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,198

Post#27 » by LittleOzzy » Tue Jan 6, 2015 12:53 am

blkout wrote:Most of those posts are yours though

Not even close to most.

I went back to add them up, and 21 of the 65 posts were made by me. Plus, in the long run, why is that a bad thing? Should I not be active on a forum I enjoy?
blkout
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,914

Post#28 » by blkout » Tue Jan 6, 2015 1:00 am

30 out of the 65 was the number I got. I was going by the last week though maybe you had a different measure
Spoiler:
9 out of the 20 in the MLS thread
13 out of the 25 in the Toronto thread
7 out of the 18 in the NYC thread
1 out of the 2 in the Real Salt Lake thread
. Even still, it's not a bad thing but to talk about the amount of activity there when you're the one providing most of it is peculiar. I have no problem with the idea of an MLS forum I just hope you have a lot of free time :P
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#29 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Jan 6, 2015 2:40 am

1)How can I make your experience on The Forums better?

Allow us to address individual posters w/ a "@" sign. Much easier to respond to multiple post in one single post.

2)What changes and/or additions would you like to see to The Forums?

require a post limit for the TT board and GB. There are some posters who need to learn the ropes before posting.

Better control over moderators. I have seen and encountered too many "questionable" calls when it comes to moderators and even moderators interpretation of the forum policy. While it hard to moderate moderators, i feel that is not a excuse to ignore some Nazi Moderators or their abuse of power.

Disclaimer: most moderators are awesome, i just think they are a few too many bad apples than acceptable
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#30 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Jan 6, 2015 2:44 am

Howard Mass wrote:Mass Dispatch Thread of The Week

The Detroit Pistons Forum's “Pistons WAIVE Josh Smith” Thread

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1362283

Josh Smith is a very good NBA player but not every good player is a good fit for any NBA Team.

From the day The Pistons signed Josh Smith, many Pistons Fans and NBA fans in General wondered how Josh Smith, Greg Monroe and Andre Drummond would play together. After all, Smith might be a combo forward but his natural position is at the 4.

The Pistons tried to play him at small forward last year to predictably bad results. When Stan Van Gundy came in to be head coach and run the organization, he was determined to try and make it work with Josh Smith.

Van Gundy is a wonderful coach and is not a quitter but even though it will be a huge cap hit for The Pistons for two more seasons after this one, he did the right thing for both sides.

The Pistons are already looking better for the change and I saw it firsthand when Detroit beat the crap out of The Orlando Magic the other night.

This thread shows the reactions The Pistons' fans have had this since the news and if your not doing anything on New Year's Day, it is a good thread to read through.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/netw3rk/status/551913311424757760[/tweet]
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#31 » by Liqourish » Tue Jan 6, 2015 8:02 pm

Manocad wrote:Wasn't there another retired Pistons mod in there somewhere who ran alongside Cow and ajax back in the day? :)

I can't remember any. :P
scwarrior+zenit
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#32 » by scwarrior+zenit » Wed Jan 7, 2015 8:19 am

re #30 by BlkBrd's comment: what is/what are good ways for some one who IS new "to learn the ropes" re posting? Thanks.
scwarrior+zenit
Ballboy

Post#33 » by scwarrior+zenit » Wed Jan 7, 2015 8:22 am

oops. re Blkbrd671's post #29; same question: constructive, friendly advice for folks new to the forum, pls? Thx.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#34 » by Blkbrd671 » Wed Jan 7, 2015 11:10 am

scwarrior+zenit wrote:re #30 by BlkBrd's comment: what is/what are good ways for some one who IS new "to learn the ropes" re posting? Thanks.

i meant generate thread. my apologies.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,713

Post#35 » by tsherkin » Thu Jan 8, 2015 2:31 am

scwarrior+zenit wrote:re #30 by BlkBrd's comment: what is/what are good ways for some one who IS new "to learn the ropes" re posting? Thanks.

Don't be a jerk to other posters; don't start threads that already exist on the first 3 pages; don't make a post (or respond to a thread) to bitch about a thread or tell mods how to do their job; don't evade the language filter.

Be pleasant, contribute to discussion and use appropriate channels.
scwarrior+zenit
Ballboy

Post#36 » by scwarrior+zenit » Fri Jan 9, 2015 8:52 am

Thank you tsherkin.
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#37 » by greenroom31 » Fri Jan 9, 2015 8:35 pm

Two suggestions (or really a 2 part suggestion) --

1) It shouldn't be so hard to ignore a poster. As far as I can tell you have to click their profile and find the small text link that says "add foe" which results in ignoring them. Why not make it clearer/easier?

2) Once a poster is ignored, you shouldn't receive notifications if they quote your posts. I'm not even sure it makes sense to allow them to quote your posts, but at the least you shouldn't get a notification if/when it happens.

Thanks!

Return to Mass Dispatch