NBC Closing In On NBA Package At $2.5B Per Year Unless TNT Offers $2.8B

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 295

NBC Closing In On NBA Package At $2.5B Per Year Unless TNT Offers $2.8B 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu May 9, 2024 2:58 pm

Comcast’s NBCUniversal is closing in on securing the third NBA package and likely unveil a “Basketball Night in America’’ telecast with its annual bid of $2.5 billion per year, sources tell Sports Business Journal.

Sources say Warner Bros. Discovery, parent company of TNT, would have to increase its bid to as much as $2.8 billion per season to retain rights unless they attempt to settle the matter via lawsuit.

WBD exited its exclusive negotiating window with the NBA with the expectation they could match any bid from a rival company on a dollar-for-dollar basis. 

Sources reiterated Wednesday that the NBA believes a dollar-for-dollar match is not enough because NBC is an over-the-air network with multiple broadcast windows and an RSN infrastructure that WBD cannot replicate.

“NBC has made their bid, and they're not budging,’’ a media industry source said. “So it's over, right? And Warner Bros. is saying, ‘We'll match it,’ and (Commissioner Adam Silver) is probably saying: ‘It's not matched.’ ’’

Sources say Adam Silver is trying to figure out a way to sever the relationship with TNT in a "gentle way."

“There's no mystery to this," the source said. “It's pretty blatant what's happening. David Zaslav realizes he has to have this and doesn't want to pay more than $2.5B. And Adam's saying, honestly, it's not matched at $2.5. And [Zaslav] goes, ‘Yes, it is,’ and they're going back and forth.’ And so that's where we are. How do you let [WBD] down? Is there a way? Or does Zaslav come up with more money? Because then it doesn't have to be matching because David's paid more.

“And that's where we are. Adam's trying to be nice to David right now until David backs off his dogs. He’s trying to help David save face.’’

NBC’s package is expected to include Sunday Night games following the NFL season, while perhaps taking over ESPN’s Friday night slate and TNT’s second-round playoff and conference final package. Amazon would likely have one weekday night (Tuesday or Thursday) and Saturday nights, as well as the Play-in tournament, the In-Season Tournament, first-round playoff games and likely some international rights. 

ESPN will continue to be the exclusive home of The Finals.

“ESPN did not want to alternate the finals, which I think Adam wanted to do,’’ a source said. “Adam wanted to make a package for NBC and alternate the finals with ESPN. ESPN fought it, fought, fought it, and finally said fine, ‘We'll pay the $2.6B, but no alternating the finals.’ And WB thought the league would never get that [$2.5] price from NBC. They said, ‘Sure, go shopping.’ They shopped it, they got the price. And now David Zaslav goes, ‘We’re screwed.’’’

Via Tom Friend/SportsBusinessJournal

Anderson Hunt
Sophomore
And1: 88

Re: NBC Closing In On NBA Package At $2.5B Per Year Unless TNT Offers $2.8B 

Post#2 » by Anderson Hunt » Thu May 9, 2024 3:50 pm

Sounds rather "snakey" by Silver. Either they're allowed to match or not. This is a classic example of how language, the law, and contracts can always be manipulated. The world is quite lawless for those with power and esteem.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,204

Post#3 » by M2J » Thu May 9, 2024 4:39 pm

Anderson Hunt wrote:Sounds rather "snakey" by Silver. Either they're allowed to match or not. This is a classic example of how language, the law, and contracts can always be manipulated. The world is quite lawless for those with power and esteem.

Wrong, TNT had an exclusive window to get this same price of 2.5B. They exited that window, with an expectation (not an agreement) to be able to match. NBA had to negotiate, make promises and structure a deal with a more prominent and poweful partner to get that price tag, just to give that same deal to the company that said you're not going to get it from anyone.....I agree with Silver in this regard. Now if you want this deal you must pay more, and the TNT side looks stupid and will have to answer to their board in that matter.... Whether they lose the NBA all together or must pay 300 million more for a deal they could've had for less. Sure TNT has been a great partner, but it benefits the ownership and the lead itself to be on another broadcast partner like NBC alongside ABC plus Amazon... Perhaps the 3 biggest platforms.
Anderson Hunt
Sophomore
And1: 88

Post#4 » by Anderson Hunt » Thu May 9, 2024 4:42 pm

M2J wrote:
Anderson Hunt wrote:Sounds rather "snakey" by Silver. Either they're allowed to match or not. This is a classic example of how language, the law, and contracts can always be manipulated. The world is quite lawless for those with power and esteem.

Wrong, TNT had an exclusive window to get this same price of 2.5B. They exited that window, with an expectation (not an agreement) to be able to match. NBA had to negotiate, make promises and structure a deal with a more prominent and poweful partner to get that price tag, just to give that same deal to the company that said you're not going to get it from anyone.....I agree with Silver in this regard. Now if you want this deal you must pay more, and the TNT side looks stupid and will have to answer to their board in that matter.... Whether they lose the NBA all together or must pay 300 million more for a deal they could've had for less. Sure TNT has been a great partner, but it benefits the ownership and the lead itself to be on another broadcast partner like NBC alongside ABC plus Amazon... Perhaps the 3 biggest platforms.

I stand corrected.
J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,265

Post#5 » by J-Mezzy » Thu May 9, 2024 5:43 pm

I can’t wait for the music to come back and for Bob Costas

But can they buy Inside the NBA? That show is gold
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
FeatheryTouch
Senior
And1: 669

Post#6 » by FeatheryTouch » Thu May 9, 2024 6:49 pm

J-Mezzy wrote:I can’t wait for the music to come back and for Bob Costas

Apparently Barkley said that the TNT studio crew have timed their contracts to line up with this bid process, so if Warner doesn't get the deal I would expect one of the others(maybe Amazon because they have a serious lack of on-air broadcasters in place) to shell out big bucks to bring the gang to a new network.
WillyJakkz
RealGM
And1: 3,455

Post#7 » by WillyJakkz » Thu May 9, 2024 9:28 pm

FeatheryTouch wrote:

Apparently Barkley said that the TNT studio crew have timed their contracts to line up with this bid process, so if Warner doesn't get the deal I would expect one of the others(maybe Amazon because they have a serious lack of on-air broadcasters in place) to shell out big bucks to bring the gang to a new network.

That's not correct at all.

Charles said he lined HIS contract up to make sure HE had an out and he wasn't sure what the other guys had. He also stated Ernie has said that he WILL NOT LEAVE TNT (maybe due to MLB etc).

This was on the Dan Patrick Show or maybe Rich Eisen.
FeatheryTouch
Senior
And1: 669

Post#8 » by FeatheryTouch » Fri May 10, 2024 2:23 am

WillyJakkz wrote:
FeatheryTouch wrote:

That's not correct at all.

Charles said he lined HIS contract up to make sure HE had an out and he wasn't sure what the other guys had. He also stated Ernie has said that he WILL NOT LEAVE TNT (maybe due to MLB etc).

This was on the Dan Patrick Show or maybe Rich Eisen.

Yeah since I wrote that I heard the same thing about Ernie. He's a TNT lifer, his dad worked there as well and he can do other sports. He's apparently staying. However I don't see any reason why Shaq and Kenny would have different length contracts than Charles. Why would they or TNT draw up contracts that didn't match the length of the TNT contract with the NBA? It wouldn't make sense for TNT to be on the hook for many millions of dollars a year to those NBA-only guys when there was no assurance of the NBA on the network after this year. I'd be shocked if they aren't free agents as well.

Also, Barkley's lying. He damn sure knows more about Shaq and Kenny's contract status than he is revealing, he's just giving them space to handle their own business.
jefe
General Manager
And1: 646

Post#9 » by jefe » Fri May 10, 2024 11:56 am

M2J wrote:

What is your source for this? Every article that I have read on the issue states matter-of-factly that WBD has the right to match and implies it is a contractual right. In a recent interview, Charles Barkley seemingly acknowledged it as well and stated that it is the first time of which he is aware that WBD (or the prior owners - presumably Turner) did not reach a deal in the exclusive window and now are looking at the choice to match another offer.
Toine85
Lead Assistant
And1: 63

Post#10 » by Toine85 » Fri May 10, 2024 1:36 pm

Apparently, TNT has the right to match any of the offers (according to WBD CEO). So, I think to save face, they will be given the right to match Amazon's offer, which is reportedly $1.8B per year for 11 years.

[url]
Read on Twitter
[/url]
DrClutch
Junior
And1: 23

Post#11 » by DrClutch » Fri May 10, 2024 3:22 pm

DA juu is a sneaky man lol, Thats some greedy sheeet if Amazon etc get the rights for 1.8 B .. Turner sports should avoid especially with many people not watching TV as much in the economy
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,204

Post#12 » by M2J » Fri May 10, 2024 6:33 pm

jefe wrote:
M2J wrote:

What is your source for this? Every article that I have read on the issue states matter-of-factly that WBD has the right to match and implies it is a contractual right. In a recent interview, Charles Barkley seemingly acknowledged it as well and stated that it is the first time of which he is aware that WBD (or the prior owners - presumably Turner) did not reach a deal in the exclusive window and now are looking at the choice to match another offer.

Expectation is the word used in the real gm posting, after the exclusive window closed
jefe
General Manager
And1: 646

Post#13 » by jefe » Sat May 11, 2024 1:20 pm

M2J wrote:
jefe wrote:
M2J wrote:

Expectation is the word used in the real gm posting, after the exclusive window closed

Gotcha. As I understand it, WBD has the contractual right to match; however, based upon the wiretap article, it appears that the NBA is taking the position that WBD is incapable of matching NBC's offer because NBC's offer includes over-the-air broadcasts (which WBD literally cannot match because it does not have any over-the-air broadcast channels).

In that sense, WBD had the expectation of being able to match any offer (due to the contractual provision), but the NBA is taking the position that "matching the offer" is about more than money here.

Return to Wiretap Discussion