Mavericks, Jason Kidd Sign Multi-Year Contract Extension

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 294

Mavericks, Jason Kidd Sign Multi-Year Contract Extension 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon May 6, 2024 12:25 pm

The Dallas Mavericks announced a multi-year contract extension for head coach Jason Kidd. This season was Kidd's third in Dallas, and he reportedly had one year left on his previous contract.

Kidd has led the Mavericks to two 50-win seasons and to the playoffs in two of his three years in Dallas. This season, Kidd has the Mavericks in the second round of the playoffs, as they open their series against the Oklahoma City Thunder on Tuesday.

Via RealGM Staff Report

RoundMoundOfRebound
RealGM
And1: 13,417

Re: Mavericks, Jason Kidd Sign Multi-Year Contract Extension 

Post#2 » by RoundMoundOfRebound » Mon May 6, 2024 4:36 pm

But Why?
Phystic
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,668

Post#3 » by Phystic » Mon May 6, 2024 4:46 pm

Unless Kidd has drastically changed, seems like he's getting some reward for Luka being generational.
Ridicululz
Rookie
And1: 1,711

Post#4 » by Ridicululz » Mon May 6, 2024 5:28 pm

Luka probably signed off on this as well, right?
dirkdiggler4177
Rookie
And1: 1,308

Post#5 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Mon May 6, 2024 6:12 pm

People have this complete hate for Kidd as a coach, but they have about 10% insight into how a coach runs a team. You ask them what schemes they run, how they prepare for rotations, how he motivates Lively when his mother just died, how he gets Luka to play defense, how Kyrie suddenly is an asset, etc. and they have no clue.

I'm not saying Jason Kidd is a great coach, not even good. I'm saying fans have no clue how a coach runs the team, but the GM and owner do. So take what fans say with a grain of salt.
Roy T
Pro Prospect
And1: 909

Post#6 » by Roy T » Mon May 6, 2024 6:51 pm

dirkdiggler4177 wrote:People have this complete hate for Kidd as a coach, but they have about 10% insight into how a coach runs a team. You ask them what schemes they run, how they prepare for rotations, how he motivates Lively when his mother just died, how he gets Luka to play defense, how Kyrie suddenly is an asset, etc. and they have no clue.

I'm not saying Jason Kidd is a great coach, not even good. I'm saying fans have no clue how a coach runs the team, but the GM and owner do. So take what fans say with a grain of salt.

He said some outlandish stupid **** for a coach and gave the impression that he did not give a flying **** about the team and their performance. Based on those few sentences I would of fired him. Extending him is mind boggling...
dirkdiggler4177
Rookie
And1: 1,308

Post#7 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Mon May 6, 2024 7:12 pm

Roy T wrote:
dirkdiggler4177 wrote:People have this complete hate for Kidd as a coach, but they have about 10% insight into how a coach runs a team. You ask them what schemes they run, how they prepare for rotations, how he motivates Lively when his mother just died, how he gets Luka to play defense, how Kyrie suddenly is an asset, etc. and they have no clue.

He said some outlandish stupid **** for a coach and gave the impression that he did not give a flying **** about the team and their performance. Based on those few sentences I would of fired him. Extending him is mind boggling...

That's my point exactly, he said some stupid ****, but he is not coaching the media, he is coaching the team. If he was stupid and bad fans say he is, why hasn't Kyrie exploded on him? Considering he is sensitive little bit?
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,225

Post#8 » by Pickled Prunes » Mon May 6, 2024 8:45 pm

dirkdiggler4177 wrote:
Roy T wrote:

That's my point exactly, he said some stupid ****, but he is not coaching the media, he is coaching the team. If he was stupid and bad fans say he is, why hasn't Kyrie exploded on him? Considering he is sensitive little bit?

I would argue that he doesn't do much "coaching" at all. Luka has been playing D for the past couple months because he feels the desperation. Kidd has been his coach for three seasons. You think he just suggested playing D after the all-star break?

Kyrie is playing with his head down because he knows he's become a laughing stock and his career/legacy is on the line. He has always been an asset when his mouth is shut. Kidd has nothing to do with that.
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,903

Post#9 » by deeps6x » Mon May 6, 2024 9:23 pm

LUKA led our team to two playoff appearances in three seasons...

JK tagged along for the ride.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 14,314

Post#10 » by CobraCommander » Mon May 6, 2024 10:01 pm

deeps6x wrote:LUKA led our team to two playoff appearances in three seasons...

JK tagged along for the ride.
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 230

Post#11 » by cheese318 » Tue May 7, 2024 4:47 am

Didn’t he help Nets improve for a year before bolting to MIL. He was close to help MIL take the jump and got fired as he wore out his welcome with management. He had to rebuild his image after MIL which is why he ended up as an associate in LAL. He’s done a good job in DAL regardless of the superstar he coaches.
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:

Return to Wiretap Discussion