Daryl Morey: Sixers Will Have Lots Of Changes Beyond Joel Embiid, Tyrese Maxey, Nick Nurse

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 294

Daryl Morey: Sixers Will Have Lots Of Changes Beyond Joel Embiid, Tyrese Maxey, Nick Nurse 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon May 6, 2024 8:01 pm

The Philadelphia 76ers plan to have a significantly different roster next season as they enter the 2024 offseason with approximately $65 million in cap space. Beyond Joel Embiid, Tyrese Maxey and Nick Nurse, there could be many new faces with the Sixers. 

"We're not going to have continuity," Morey said Monday at the 76ers' headquarters in New Jersey. "We'll have continuity with our stars and our head coach but we're going to have a lot of changes this season."

The Sixers won at a 65-win pace with Embiid, but went 16-27 without him.

"I feel like I could have done a better job with the players so that we were in a better spot to win without him," Morey said. "That said, we do spend 90% of the time figuring out how to win the title with him. It can't be a big focus, how we play without him. We know that team can't win a championship. It's really, how do we manage through it better? I felt like, on me, the depth wasn't quite there when he was out to win at the level we wanted to win at."

Via ESPN

dkb964
Junior
And1: 198

Re: Daryl Morey: Sixers Will Have Lots Of Changes Beyond Joel Embiid, Tyrese Maxey, Nick Nurse 

Post#2 » by dkb964 » Mon May 6, 2024 9:07 pm

Sign Pascal Siakam ( fellow Cameroonian and has already won a title with Nurse). Get a legit top tier back up center, plus improve the quaiity of the role players and they could contend.
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 321

Re: Daryl Morey: Sixers Will Have Lots Of Changes Beyond Joel Embiid, Tyrese Maxey, Nick Nurse 

Post#3 » by TimeisIllmatic » Mon May 6, 2024 10:06 pm

This is definitely a bad summer to have tons of cap space to say the least. Fortunately enough for Sixers fans, they have Maxey to look forward to for the future.

How much longer do they want to keep it going with Embiid there?
chilluminati
Starter
And1: 4,069

Post#4 » by chilluminati » Mon May 6, 2024 10:21 pm

It's time to trade Embiid and get out from under his inability to stay healthy. His value would still be enormous.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,225

Post#5 » by Pickled Prunes » Mon May 6, 2024 10:21 pm

dkb964 wrote:Sign Pascal Siakam ( fellow Cameroonian and has already won a title with Nurse). Get a legit top tier back up center, plus improve the quaiity of the role players and they could contend.

Top tier backup centers don't want to play 12 MPG.

Siakam might have a better future in IND. I'm honestly not sure that Siakam is that much of an upgrade from Tobias Harris. 21/7/4 vs 17/7/3 with similar career efficiency and much lower USG%. I don't know that Siakam will look much better in a role as a third wheel, which is what he would be. PHI would be better off looking for three or four $15-25m players rather than a third star and scrubs.
dkb964
Junior

Post#6 » by dkb964 » Mon May 6, 2024 11:07 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
dkb964 wrote:Sign Pascal Siakam ( fellow Cameroonian and has already won a title with Nurse). Get a legit top tier back up center, plus improve the quaiity of the role players and they could contend.

Siakam might have a better future in IND. I'm honestly not sure that Siakam is that much of an upgrade from Tobias Harris. 21/7/4 vs 17/7/3 with similar career efficiency and much lower USG%. I don't know that Siakam will look much better in a role as a third wheel, which is what he would be. PHI would be better off looking for three or four $15-25m players rather than a third star and scrubs.

Tobias Harris is trash! Siakam is a MASSIVE upgrade over Tobias Harris. Come on now man. I get your point though that why would a top tier backup center want to play behind Embiid. Siakam would be at his best as a third option. A Embiid/Maxey/Siakam big three is contender worthy if Morey can use his picks to put good role players around those three. You are underatting Siakam big time. I have watched his entire career. I know how good his is.
Temuhjan
Sixth Man
And1: 324

Post#7 » by Temuhjan » Tue May 7, 2024 12:30 am

Given an empty cupboard (other than Embiid and Maxey), shouldn't you fill it up with good young players first and then bring in depth pieces and vet help later on?

Squandering the cap on a star player only to find out the squad got a million holes later on just ain't fun. You go for a star only if you already have a good young core and you are only short of a piece to take it to the next level (think Thunder, Cavs). You gotta build the core first.

The likes of Miles Bridges, Gary Trent, Jr and Obi Toppin fits the bill.
Roy T
Pro Prospect
And1: 909

Post#8 » by Roy T » Tue May 7, 2024 1:59 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:

The backup center for the 76er will get around 30 starts a seasons and tons of minutes thanks to Embiids injuries and the load management.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 5,046

Post#9 » by Wingy » Tue May 7, 2024 4:45 am

Temuhjan wrote:Given an empty cupboard (other than Embiid and Maxey), shouldn't you fill it up with good young players first and then bring in depth pieces and vet help later on?

Squandering the cap on a star player only to find out the squad got a million holes later on just ain't fun. You go for a star only if you already have a good young core and you are only short of a piece to take it to the next level (think Thunder, Cavs). You gotta build the core first.

Morey said nothing about stars and did mention depth.
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 148

Post#10 » by MitchB3 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:42 pm

Wingy wrote:
Temuhjan wrote:Given an empty cupboard (other than Embiid and Maxey), shouldn't you fill it up with good young players first and then bring in depth pieces and vet help later on?

Morey said nothing about stars and did mention depth.

You must be new... Morey tends to say one thing and do the opposite. He's most likely going to look for a "star player" SHOULD HE NOT get that star player he'll settle.
MitchB3
Starter

Post#11 » by MitchB3 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:44 pm

Morey doesn't know this team is on a course for a rebuild. Embiid isn't getting any younger, this was the Sixers last chance to really make a deep playoff push, it's time to rebuild.
Tamimi
Junior
And1: 30

Post#12 » by Tamimi » Tue May 7, 2024 12:51 pm

The heading should read "Daryl Morey: Sixers will have lots of changes beyond Embiid, Maxey, Nurse and......Morey." This guy is to GMs like Doc Rivers is to coaches: 9 lives.
Temuhjan
Sixth Man
And1: 324

Post#13 » by Temuhjan » Tue May 7, 2024 2:27 pm

MitchB3 wrote:Morey doesn't know this team is on a course for a rebuild. Embiid isn't getting any younger, this was the Sixers last chance to really make a deep playoff push, it's time to rebuild.

Agreed. Embiid is 29 and not in the best of health. He probably have another 3-4 years left in the tank.

Given the opportunity to start afresh, FO should put together a proper core. We are talking about five good young players aged 23-29yo, then give it a season for them to jell. And before you know it, the team will be competing in the Conference Finals (think Knicks). Seriously, if the Knicks can do it, why not the Sixers?
MitchB3
Starter

Post#14 » by MitchB3 » Tue May 7, 2024 3:23 pm

Temuhjan wrote:
MitchB3 wrote:Morey doesn't know this team is on a course for a rebuild. Embiid isn't getting any younger, this was the Sixers last chance to really make a deep playoff push, it's time to rebuild.

Agreed. Embiid is 29 and not in the best of health. He probably have another 3-4 years left in the tank.

Given the opportunity to start afresh, FO should put together a proper core. We are talking about five good young players aged 23-29yo, then give it a season for them to jell. And before you know it, the team will be competing in the Conference Finals (think Knicks). Seriously, if the Knicks can do it, why not the Sixers?

1- Embiid is 30 not 29.
2- Embiid doesn't have 3-4 years left in the tank, I'm giving him 2 good years. The older you get the body doesn't heal as quickly. Not to mention he's had what 5 surgeries and also a few minor injuries? He's 30 in age, but he could be closer to 33-34 in terms of the body.
3- The Knicks are different. They started this way back in 2016-18, to get good now. It's not that simple.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 531

Post#15 » by TheCage4 » Tue May 7, 2024 3:57 pm

Bring back Harden & Butler!
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#16 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue May 7, 2024 8:44 pm

Roy T wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:

The backup center for the 76er will get around 30 starts a seasons and tons of minutes thanks to Embiids injuries and the load management.

The backup might get 82 starts, but I promise you Embiid is going to try and hit that 65 game threshold. It's really lose/lose for the backup; If the backup wants minutes, Embiid needs to be injured: If the backup wants to win, Embiid needs to be healthy. They really need a PF/C that can share the floor with Embiid when he's healthy and start when he's not. They can round out the roster with a couple of min-level centers but they should waste as little cap as possible on players that won't get minutes in the playoffs.
Hans1984
Pro Prospect
And1: 334

Post#17 » by Hans1984 » Tue May 7, 2024 9:08 pm

Embiid is not the answer if they want to pursue a title.
dkb964
Junior

Post#18 » by dkb964 » Wed May 8, 2024 7:54 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
Roy T wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:Top tier backup centers don't want to play 12 MPG.

The backup might get 82 starts, but I promise you Embiid is going to try and hit that 65 game threshold. It's really lose/lose for the backup; If the backup wants minutes, Embiid needs to be injured: If the backup wants to win, Embiid needs to be healthy. They really need a PF/C that can share the floor with Embiid when he's healthy and start when he's not. They can round out the roster with a couple of min-level centers but they should waste as little cap as possible on players that won't get minutes in the playoffs.

Drummond maybe? Still only 30 and can gets some boards at least.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#19 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed May 8, 2024 9:27 pm

dkb964 wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
Roy T wrote:

Drummond maybe? Still only 30 and can gets some boards at least.

Drummond tried that two years ago. The fans treated him about as well as they treat Tobias Harris and they eventually traded him in the Harden deal. He should have better options... and there are really two problems with that. 1) He absolutely can not be on the floor with Embiid for any length of time. 2) He is almost the opposite type of center than Embiid, which means the team has to run different sets when Embiid is on or off the floor. It messes with the entire teams rhythm.

Return to Wiretap Discussion