Reggie Williams

Moderator: jman3134

Joseph17
RealGM
And1: 529

Reggie Williams 

Post#1 » by Joseph17 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:46 am

I don't know what more this guy has to do to make it to the NBA. He was the nation's leading scorer in the NCAA and he's dominating the D-League. Can anyone tell me more about him and why he hasn't made it to the NBA?
Waterade124
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: Reggie Williams 

Post#2 » by Waterade124 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:54 am

I am sure if Reggie Williams keeps putting up the numbers hes putting up right now in the D-league that he will get a call-up sooner or later. Alot of scouts say he needs to work on his defense though.
mnWI
General Manager
And1: 47

Post#3 » by mnWI » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:55 am

joeyyowee wrote:I don't know what more this guy has to do to make it to the NBA. He was the nation's leading scorer in the NCAA and he's dominating the D-League. Can anyone tell me more about him and why he hasn't made it to the NBA?

Show some type of interest in playing defense.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#4 » by jman3134 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:48 pm

There are defensive liabilities in the NBA though, right?
mnWI
General Manager
And1: 47

Post#5 » by mnWI » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:36 am

jman3134 wrote:There are defensive liabilities in the NBA though, right?

A few...but defensive liabilities very rarely get called up from the D-League. No use in signing a guy who will give up as many points as he scores...
lakerhater
General Manager
And1: 1,887

Post#6 » by lakerhater » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:28 pm

Relative to the rest of the Warriors wing players Williams looks like a lock down defender so far and his offense has been smooth and efficient, he never looks like he's forcing a shot.
Joseph17
RealGM
And1: 529

Post#7 » by Joseph17 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:40 am

Well it looks like I was right about him and scouts and gms are (Please Use More Appropriate Word). An idiot could tell you that a guy who averages 28 and 10 in the NCAA and dominates in the D-League would make a pretty good NBA player. It's not like is undersized or weak in extremely weak in one area of the game either. I really don't know what scouts are looking at. They just draft guys like Oden and Thabeet because of their potential and they don't give guys like Williams the time of day. It's really sad. Another thing I don't get is how a guy like Jason Thompson is a lottery pick and Reggie Williams goes undrafted. Both played for a mid-major conference and Reggie Williams put up better numbers. It's also obvious that Reggie is more gifted offensively.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#8 » by jman3134 » Mon Aug 9, 2010 4:07 pm

I see your logic, but there are countless of examples of prototypical 6'3 shooting guards who have put up huge numbers in college and then had trouble in the league. Remember Marcus Hatten? There are about 1,000,001 players in a similar position. Given, many of them are written off and not given a chance like you are saying. In Hatten's case, he decided to take his career overseas like many players before him. It's all about opportunity, and guys with prototypical size and athleticism are going to be valued over guys with a less underwhelming physical profile.

That's not to say Reggie Williams should have gone undrafted. Just ask me a couple of years ago and I would have said he was worth a pick. Another factor facing Williams is the fact that he meant so much to his VMI team that he was basically the leading rebounder. (because he was one of the tallest players on the team!) Stats like that don't translate. Moreover, VMI played at a ridiculous tempo and pace adjusted, his numbers were a little different.

Obviously, I saw coming out of college that he had some tools that would certainly translate at the next level, but he supposedly was inconsistent from deep and was sort of one dimensional as an offensive player. That is why I can see how he was overlooked.

Return to Minor Leagues