Ainge to coach D-League Maine Red Claws

Moderator: jman3134

Joana
Banned User
And1: 1

Ainge to coach D-League Maine Red Claws 

Post#1 » by Joana » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:16 pm

http://www2.nesn.com/boston-celtics/200 ... -d-league/

Austin Ainge, Danny's son. I've heard that he was in fact the chosen one and will be announced as the D-League franchise head-coach soon.

His coaching experience so far:
2007/08: Southern Utah University, Assistant Coach

That's all. The Maine Red Claws are the Boston Celtics affiliated team.

So, is coaching/basketball knowledge a genetic thing or is this unashamed nepotism?
mnWI
General Manager
And1: 47

Re: Ainge to coach D-League Maine Red Claws 

Post#2 » by mnWI » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:43 am

There's no doubt that Ainge's bloodline got him the job, but he's got the right demeanor for the job, and X's and O's knowledge beyond his years. I was skeptical at first too, until I spent some time around the guy. He will certainly struggle his first year or two in the D-League, as most first time coaches of expansion franchises do, but I think he will be a very successful coach in the future. A lot of people around the NBA are upset with the hire though.
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#3 » by pickIBL » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:15 pm

welcome to minor league basketball. this clearly has nothing to do with finding the most competent coach... or even a qualified one.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
mnWI
General Manager

Post#4 » by mnWI » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:36 pm

pickIBL wrote:welcome to minor league basketball. this clearly has nothing to do with finding the most competent coach... or even a qualified one.

How so? Can you cite other examples of this happening in the D-League? And how do you know he's not competent? He has the right demeanor on the bench, and understands the game quite well. He can sit and talk Xs and Os or argue different pick and roll coverages all day. The only potential problem I see is players not wanting to listen to him because of his age, but I know some guys who were on NBA benches at a younger age, and didn't have a problem.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#5 » by pickIBL » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:17 am

mnWI wrote:
pickIBL wrote:welcome to minor league basketball. this clearly has nothing to do with finding the most competent coach... or even a qualified one.

How so? Can you cite other examples of this happening in the D-League?

The coaching talent overall in the D-League (and minor league basketball in general) is subpar. This is mostly due to minor league basketball not being profitable... so it is understandable for these franchises to go with a budget coach. But in this instance the coach of the RedClaws has damn near zero experience. LiL. Ainge may very well have a sharp basketball mind and have a bright future ahead of him. I'm even ok with the Celtics giving him a D-League job... but as assistant coach.

There is a huge list of more qualified coaches even for a D-League team on a budget.

It's rare someone really talented comes along and when they do its usually because they come with baggage (Quin Synder).
mnWI
General Manager

Post#6 » by mnWI » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:17 am

pickIBL wrote:
mnWI wrote:

How so? Can you cite other examples of this happening in the D-League?

The coaching talent overall in the D-League (and minor league basketball in general) is subpar. This is mostly due to minor league basketball not being profitable... so it is understandable for these franchises to go with a budget coach. But in this instance the coach of the RedClaws has damn near zero experience. LiL. Ainge may very well have a sharp basketball mind and have a bright future ahead of him. I'm even ok with the Celtics giving him a D-League job... but as assistant coach.

There is a huge list of more qualified coaches even for a D-League team on a budget.

It's rare someone really talented comes along and when they do its usually because they come with baggage (Quin Synder).

Ok, get specific with me here. Which D-League coaches aren't qualified? What makes them unqualified? Who is on your list of more qualified coaches who should replace them?
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#7 » by pickIBL » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:25 pm

mnWI wrote:Ok, get specific with me here. Which D-League coaches aren't qualified? What makes them unqualified? Who is on your list of more qualified coaches who should replace them?

Maybe the term unqualified is a little unfair. Maybe as qualified as you can get for the salary teams pay. The Souix Falls SkyForce and Dakota Wizards are basically the franchises with a long term record of sustainability so it is hard to blame teams for sticking with a budget coach. But when you see a team pick up a guy with so little experience plus his relation to GM Danny Ainge... you know it is more than just a budget hire.

I remember reading an article when the Energy was an expansion franchise. At the bottom of the list being considered just because he happened to be local was Nick Nurse. Nurse certainly didn't have the credentials of the others but he had two things going for him... he'd be affordable to sign and he was a local guy.

But even Nick Nurse (at the time of his hiring) would have been a superior and a vastly more qualified candidate than LiL Ainge.

Nurse was a graduate assistant at UNI, head coach of an NAIA team, head coach of South Dakota for a couple of years. He coached a year in Begium, and over a decade in the BBL (UK). When you consider the poor level of talent in the BBL (and as an owner he bankrupted the team several times) his resume isn't all that impressive. But still far better than the guy that only got hired because of his connections. There is something to be said for proving yourself and working your way up.

It is just D-League basketball so it is nothing people are really going to care about. Assuming the RedClaws could afford him Ted Woodward should have been at or near the top of the list. Anyways I graduated from a MVC mid major school and I can tell you if LiL Ainge had been given the head job at any MVC school the alumni and students would have been pissed as hell. But again it's the D-League and people just don't care as much... so the Celtics can get away with it.
mnWI
General Manager

Post#8 » by mnWI » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:09 pm

You forgot to mention Nick Nurse's years of experience on NBA summer league benches, or his 7 championships, or the fact that he had a low budget British Team competing in the ULEB Cup. His credentials as the owner of a BBL team have nothing to do with his coaching ability either.

As far as the Sioux Falls situation goes, they hired Dakota's head coach as an assistant, so you can hardly complain about hiring a young, inexperienced coach. Especially since Nate Tibbets was in the same boat as Tony Fritz just two years ago.

Rory White was a good hire regardless of budget.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#9 » by pickIBL » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:18 pm

mnWI wrote:You forgot to mention Nick Nurse's years of experience on NBA summer league benches, or his 7 championships, or the fact that he had a low budget British Team competing in the ULEB Cup. His credentials as the owner of a BBL team have nothing to do with his coaching ability either.

As far as the Sioux Falls situation goes, they hired Dakota's head coach as an assistant, so you can hardly complain about hiring a young, inexperienced coach. Especially since Nate Tibbets was in the same boat as Tony Fritz just two years ago.

I've seen BBL games live so I know for a fact just how low the talent level is there (for being low budget Nurse was able to bring in Rodman). Nurse did coach in the USBL but I don't remember any NBA summer league stuff before his hire. Regardless of that Nurse was picked up because the team could afford him... which is ok. Ainge wasn't the most qualified candidate the RedClaws could afford. I don't have a problem with the Nurse hire... I do with the Ainge hire. But I really don't take much issue with it... because it is just what I expect with minor league basketball. Minor league basketball is a mess... coaches have been fired during games in the recent past... so anything can happen really.

Maine really doesn't have a connection with them like the college teams so if they aren't upset I'm not. Judging by attendance at the D-League games I've been to... nobody will care much about the coaching situation.
mnWI
General Manager

Post#10 » by mnWI » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:30 pm

pickIBL wrote:
mnWI wrote:You forgot to mention Nick Nurse's years of experience on NBA summer league benches, or his 7 championships, or the fact that he had a low budget British Team competing in the ULEB Cup. His credentials as the owner of a BBL team have nothing to do with his coaching ability either.

I've seen BBL games live so I know for a fact just how low the talent level is there (for being low budget Nurse was able to bring in Rodman). Nurse did coach in the USBL but I don't remember any NBA summer league stuff before his hire. Regardless of that Nurse was picked up because the team could afford him... which is ok. Ainge wasn't the most qualified candidate the RedClaws could afford. I don't have a problem with the Nurse hire... I do with the Ainge hire. But I really don't take much issue with it... because it is just what I expect with minor league basketball. Minor league basketball is a mess... coaches have been fired during games in the recent past... so anything can happen really.

Maine really doesn't have a connection with them like the college teams so if they aren't upset I'm not. Judging by attendance at the D-League games I've been to... nobody will care much about the coaching situation.

See, that's a false statement. He was involved on the whole start-up of the team and finding investors, so it goes much deeper, especially considering his pay compared to what some of his colleagues get.

Like I said early in the thread, Ainge sure did get the job because of his name. But that doesn't mean he can't coach.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#11 » by pickIBL » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:03 pm

mnWI wrote:He was involved on the whole start-up of the team and finding investors, so it goes much deeper, especially considering his pay compared to what some of his colleagues get.

Like I said early in the thread, Ainge sure did get the job because of his name. But that doesn't mean he can't coach.

Well sort of. He tried to sell his BBL team... tried to bring it to the USA or something weird like that. Then yes once he couldn't do that he started looking for investors to own the team he coaches. However I'm not mistaken to the fact that he was one of several coaches interviewed for the Energy job.

As for Ainge I'm not suggesting he can't coach. He just should have to earn his way like everyone else. At this point he's qualified to coach D2, NAIA, D3, assistant to a d1 program, or assistant to an NBDL team. I could see head coach of a PBL team.
Joana
Banned User

Post#12 » by Joana » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:01 am

Good discussion. Bryan Gates is someone who clearly did enough to merit an opportunity at a higher level. It's interesting to see a D-League coach getting promoted to the NBA.

I don't dispute Ainge's knowledge of the game or his coaching instincts. But I think it reflects badly on the league because his credentials are so slim. I agree with pickIBL - they should have named him assistant coach, then they could fire the head-coach at some point during this season or in the next one, name him interim head-coach and pronto. It'd be a more professional way of handling the situation.
mnWI
General Manager

Post#13 » by mnWI » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:27 am

pickIBL wrote:
mnWI wrote:He was involved on the whole start-up of the team and finding investors, so it goes much deeper, especially considering his pay compared to what some of his colleagues get.

Well sort of. He tried to sell his BBL team... tried to bring it to the USA or something weird like that. Then yes once he couldn't do that he started looking for investors to own the team he coaches. However I'm not mistaken to the fact that he was one of several coaches interviewed for the Energy job.

As for Ainge I'm not suggesting he can't coach. He just should have to earn his way like everyone else. At this point he's qualified to coach D2, NAIA, D3, assistant to a d1 program, or assistant to an NBDL team. I could see head coach of a PBL team.

The other interviews were required by the league office. Nurse was the only guy.
mnWI
General Manager

Post#14 » by mnWI » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:38 am

Joana wrote:Good discussion. Bryan Gates is someone who clearly did enough to merit an opportunity at a higher level. It's interesting to see a D-League coach getting promoted to the NBA.

I don't dispute Ainge's knowledge of the game or his coaching instincts. But I think it reflects badly on the league because his credentials are so slim. I agree with pickIBL - they should have named him assistant coach, then they could fire the head-coach at some point during this season or in the next one, name him interim head-coach and pronto. It'd be a more professional way of handling the situation.

Dave Joerger was 26 when he got his first gig, of course this was before the D-League even existed, but it seemed to work out well enough for Joegs. Ainge doesn't have the minor league experience though, and the only other difference is that Joegs had Warren Legarie moving him up rather than a father in a powerful position. :)
Joana
Banned User

Post#15 » by Joana » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:56 am

What happens when basketball nerds become 26 years old? :D If Austin Ainge was getting a job in the CBA or whatever, I don't think anybody would care. But there's a realistic possibility he may have 3 or 4 NBA players under his guidance. And with Dan Reed always touting how 60% of the NBA players were former D-Leaguers (or whatever the percentage is, I think 20)... it's just odd that a guy can get a head-coach job with such a short resume. Anyway, I hope Ainge does well, I've always liked his father since he retired as a player. I generally don't like those coaches who talk hours about screenball defence in abstract though...
mnWI
General Manager

Post#16 » by mnWI » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:34 am

Joana wrote:What happens when basketball nerds become 26 years old? :D If Austin Ainge was getting a job in the CBA or whatever, I don't think anybody would care. But there's a realistic possibility he may have 3 or 4 NBA players under his guidance. And with Dan Reed always touting how 60% of the NBA players were former D-Leaguers (or whatever the percentage is, I think 20)... it's just odd that a guy can get a head-coach job with such a short resume. Anyway, I hope Ainge does well, I've always liked his father since he retired as a player. I generally don't like those coaches who talk hours about screenball defence in abstract though...

:) Joegs is my idol. We'll see what happens with me in 2 years. Like I said, I understand your opinion on Austin completely, but I think he'll do a good job once they get through expansion stage. They aren't in a great spot for allocation players though which doesn't make things easier.
pacersrule08
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#17 » by pacersrule08 » Sun Aug 9, 2009 9:49 pm

hi

Return to Minor Leagues