fixing the d- league

Moderator: jman3134

colebrisco
Ballboy
And1: 0

fixing the d- league 

Post#1 » by colebrisco » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:39 am

i would really like to see the nba fix their minor league. paying the max 20,000 to players isn't going to keep them over here. as we see most go play in Europe or Asia. i would like to see them take a page out of the mlbs book. i mean raise the max salary to 100,000 and yeah you can pay the weaker players less but i think developing talent here and being able to call players up when you suffer a injury or something would be great. set a salery cap a like 500,000 or something run it just like the nba but on a much smaller scale. 20,000a year just wont cut it.
Waterade124
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: fixing the d- league 

Post#2 » by Waterade124 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:28 am

Yeah money is an issue when keeping talent in the d-league, but players have to understand that the d-league may be their quickiest way of getting to the NBA.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,767

Post#3 » by Cammo101 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:01 am

The only way to fix the D League is by giving each NBA team a farm team and then expanding the NBA Draft to 4 rounds. That way players in the D League will be paid by the NBA team, and thus attendance will not matter. Similar to a slimed down version of MLB's farm system.

Outside of that, there is no way to pay D League guys more because the league does not make the money to support that.
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#4 » by pickIBL » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:26 am

The way to fix the D-League is for the NBA to get out of bed with the NCAA. Expanding the draft and or having a rookie draft is the way to go. A couple more special designation roster spots for draft picks (for each team) would go a long way too.

First it has to be the NBA paying these salaries not something you try and build into a D-League Budget. Other than that the D-League needs to get out of arenas that are two large. 800 fans in an arena that seats nearly 17,000 (not all are nearly this big however) is really stupid. And unprofitable.

From what I've seen they don't need any venues larger than about 4500 capacity. Most could probably play at a D3 school that seats around 3500. But a convention center that seats 4500 could do the trick too.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL

Return to Minor Leagues