ABA discussion thread 08-09 season

Moderator: jman3134

jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

ABA discussion thread 08-09 season 

Post#1 » by jman3134 » Mon Jan 5, 2009 3:44 am

Here is where you can talk ABA basketball....the season has just began.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: ABA discussion thread 08-09 season 

Post#2 » by jman3134 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:27 pm

The Southeast Texas Mustangs so far have been the talk of the league, defeating two previously ranked number 2 teams.

Below are the Power Rankings:
1. Southeast Texas Mustangs
2. Nashville Broncs
3. Beijing Aoshen Olympian
4. Maywood Buzz
5. Cleveland Rockers
6. Texas Fuel
7. Kentucky Bisons
8. Las Vegas Aces
9. Knoxville Thunderbolts
10. Kansas City Spartans
11. Jersey Express
12. Chicago Steam
13. West Virginia Blazers
14. San Francisco Rumble
15. Houston Takers
16. Mississippi Blues
17. Phoenix Fury
18. Arizona Rhinos
19. Los Angeles Push
20. West Texas Whirlwinds
21. NYC Internationalz
22. Modesto Bearcats
23. Texas City Rangers
24. Georgia Gwizzlies
http://abalive.com/headlines/index.html?article_id=177
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#3 » by jman3134 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:31 pm

The Mustangs have some top college and minor league talent from recent years. Donald Harris is a solid player to go along with veteran big man Alvin Jefferson. They also have former Cincy forward Jamaal Davis. Throw in Lamar Sanders and Tim Pledger and you have the top team in the league. That squad could be competitive against most minor league teams.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#4 » by jman3134 » Mon Mar 2, 2009 12:48 am

It seems as though even weeks in, the Mustangs are still the top team in the league. Not bad.

And Maywood has moved up in the standings and are now the 2nd highest rated team.

Kentucky Bisons round out the top 3.

As for the top players in the ABA, Chet Mason has really turned some heads, averaging 25 ppg and 10rpg. Some may also remember assist leader Wesley Stokes from Missouri.

Who will be allstars this year?
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#5 » by pickIBL » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:18 am

I've noticed nobody is posting in here, but I'll make a few notes. First the NBA contests that the ABA can actually call itself the ABA (since it is property of the NBA). Second the league is nothing but a rec league. The person who runs the ABA charges teams a league fee (something like 10k a year) and then just stands back and the circus begins. Teams fold and players don't get paid. Many of the scheduled games don't happen. The league is bad for the fans, the players, and it is bad for basketball.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#6 » by jman3134 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:03 pm

pickIBL wrote:I've noticed nobody is posting in here, but I'll make a few notes. First the NBA contests that the ABA can actually call itself the ABA (since it is property of the NBA). Second the league is nothing but a rec league. The person who runs the ABA charges teams a league fee (something like 10k a year) and then just stands back and the circus begins. Teams fold and players don't get paid. Many of the scheduled games don't happen. The league is bad for the fans, the players, and it is bad for basketball.

Shocking, right? Usually, the ABA is widely discussed because it is known as a train wreck. Few actually discuss the players etc. For me at least, I separate the league front office from the actual basketball being played. I don't believe that a lot of what they have done is ethical, but I do feel that there are some talented players still competing.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#7 » by pickIBL » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:46 pm

jman3134 wrote:
pickIBL wrote:I've noticed nobody is posting in here, but I'll make a few notes. For me at least, I separate the league front office from the actual basketball being played. I don't believe that a lot of what they have done is ethical, but I do feel that there are some talented players still competing.

The media doesn't cover the ABA for a reason. I certainly can't blame players that want to extend their career. But I just can't support (nor do I think anyone should support) that league. At some point you feel sorry for the players (and the fans!), but it is just bad for basketball. There are players that barely saw the floor in D1 and are puting up big numbers in the ABA.

If you are a talented player you do have some options. IMO its way more important to assemble game tape than even hire an agent. Get some game tape and get it up on google video. Second is to get in contact with various teams and leagues to secure a contract. If that doesn't work you've just got to go to the various try-outs and drafts. The Korean league will have an import try out and draft at the end of July. There was a big out of Wisconsin who was averaging like 3 points a game in D1 and got drafted. You make 25k a month in Korea. Just one example. Play in an exposure league that is close to you. Make sure you have game tape online. Stay in contact with international teams and just stay ready. In the mean time get a real job and make some real money. If you go with the ABA the reality is you aren't likely to get paid and the team isn't likely to exist by the end of the season.

7 or 8 years ago it was forgivable for players to sign with the ABA to extend there career. It was forgivable for owners to dump money into the teams. But now everyone knows (or could easily find out) what a joke and rip off the league is. Participate or invest at your own risk. The real crime is all the markets the ABA has ruined. Try starting a legit team in one of those cities. Are businesses going to sponsor you after the last team took their money and folded? Are fans going to support you after they bought season tickets and the team folded? The ABA is very very very bad for the game of basketball. Amademajad is to the world what Newman is to the game of basketball.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by jman3134 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:41 am

Does the media cover any minor league basketball? I mean there were some promotions for the PBL when it first came out, but that was because guys like Greg Anthony had a hand in it.

I'm not going to disagree with you on the league being poorly run. I still do not see why a market would be opposed to having a basketball team from a different league locate there. It seems like a sweeping generalization that all teams/leagues have to be run that awfully.

To be honest, I still believe that the ABA has some talent left. If you look at the top tier teams, there are some nice names. Former college players who had solid careers come there to play with their teammates. I do not see how it is harmful to watch the games though. It is not like everyone who watches must invest.

As for exposure leagues: it is more about playing in the team setting and showing teams that you can compete this way. A lot of these exposure leagues have teams that are put together on an even greater whim than that of the ABA. It seems more individually focused than team-oriented. Which is why I am sure European squads would rather look to the ABA. Still, D League open tryouts have to be the best option. Or perhaps the PBL or IBL in the spring.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#9 » by pickIBL » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:03 am

jman3134 wrote: I still do not see why a market would be opposed to having a basketball team from a different league locate there. It seems like a sweeping generalization that all teams/leagues have to be run that awfully.

It is a sweeping generalization. However, IMO it is a valid generalization. The ABA slashes and burns markets. When hardcore basketball fans hear a pro team is coming to my little town they get excited. When they buy season tickets and it folds in a month. They get pissed. The same can be said for businesses. It is slash and burn big time. My beef is with the league not the individual teams.

The league lets in any team that can come up with the league fee of 10k (and even some that can't). There is nothing to ensure teams play all their games and can afford to play out the season. They sign guys to contracts they can't pay. Then the players eventually take $25 bucks a game just to stay in a league.

The CEO of the ABA has been quoted saying it doesn't matter if teams don't play their games. He was recently quoted as saying the ABA will have around 60 some teams in the league next year. These are exactly the reasons why nobody should pay any attention to them anymore.

Do you know how many teams have folded since the league began? The generalizations are real despite the fact that there may be a team or two that is run well and just stuck in that league because of their location. They are just a speck on a map of ruined basketball dreams across the country.
prolific passer
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,295

Post#10 » by prolific passer » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:51 am

Hey guys i have a question/idea. I would really like your opinion on it.

What do you think about the ABA going after NBA players like Shaun Livingston, Gerald Green, Shelden William, etc.? You know young NBA players who just need a big break and are very talented and what about college players like Levance Fields? The college players who are good enough to play in the NBA but have other things going against them for them not to make it to there.

You think that could help take the league to the next step?

Thanks.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#11 » by pickIBL » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:13 am

They have a league affliated with NBA for that. And they play their games and pay their players.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#12 » by jman3134 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:46 am

prolific passer wrote:Hey guys i have a question/idea. I would really like your opinion on it.

What do you think about the ABA going after NBA players like Shaun Livingston, Gerald Green, Shelden William, etc.? You know young NBA players who just need a big break and are very talented and what about college players like Levance Fields? The college players who are good enough to play in the NBA but have other things going against them for them not to make it to there.

You think that could help take the league to the next step?

Thanks.

This happened with some older former NBA players such as John Williams, Keith Closs, Tramaine Folks, Fred Vinson, Cedric Ceballos, 40+ Dennis Rodman, Lawrence Moten, Chris Carawell, Jimmy King, Armon Gilliam, Todd Day, Corey Beck, etc. While these are some solid names, most of these players were well into the twilight of their careers when they came back to play in the ABA.

As for relatively young talent going to the ABA, I do not see it happening. Unless it is for the exposure/to play with former teammates, I do not see any star college players like Levance Fields playing there. Most young players want to play at the highest level possible, and otherwise they at least want to have a guaranteed paycheck. The ABA only offers exposure overseas, and even this has gotten worse in recent years with the PBL emerging. So, no, I don't see it happening. Nor would it be a good idea for the players imo.

Return to Minor Leagues