ABA introduces new marketing campaign

Moderator: jman3134

jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

ABA introduces new marketing campaign 

Post#1 » by jman3134 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:53 pm

Will this be successful? I'm not quite sure if it will work, but I do sort of like the slogan.

The American Basketball Association announced a new slogan and branding campaign: ABA - MORE THAN JUST A GAME.

According to Quentin Townsend, ABA President/COO, "We spent considerable time and effort coming up with just the right slogan for our incredible league and recognized that the ABA was truly much more than just a game of basketball. There are so many components on and off the court that make the ABA the most unique, most exciting professional sports league anywhere. And the slogan we've selected is designed to incorporate these components."

"The ABA represents fan-friendly and affordable professional basketball. Our players play for the love of the game and always give 100% of themselves on and off the court. The ABA is the most diversified professional sports league ever with over 70% of its ownership group being African-American, Hispanic, Asian and women. We are so very proud of that. We play in large and small cities and recognize that good quality basketball is enjoyed everywhere," added Townsend.

"And we are expanding worldwide to bring the excitement and meaning of ABA basketball to the growing worldwide audience as well as providing tremendous opportunities for players, coaches and referees to do what they do best," stated Joe Newman, ABA CEO. "We offer huge sports management employment opportunities as well as opportunities for college and high school interns. The ABA's rules are original and combine the best of the NBA, international and college with our own unique rules like 3-D and 3-10-and Out."

"Character development is emphasized and we have a no tolerance drug policy that is enforced. We are deeply involved with our communities working closely with youth groups, schools, churches and not-for-profit organizations with strong off-the-court programs that involve players and management. We have an entertainment division that will bring concerts and special events to our fans," concluded Townsend. "So, as our new slogan says, ABA - MORE THAN JUST A GAME. And it is true."

http://abalive.com/news/releases/?newsid=2008051906001

Hm, I sort of feel like the ABA would be a decently marketed league, if it did not have such horrible connotations attached to its name. The ownership has had too many teams fold throughout the seasons to really add much to the credibility of this league. This is why the PBL was founded and all the former NBA talents like Kenny Smith jumped aboard. If they had only managed basketball affairs better, they could have been marketed on television by former NBA talent.

Return to Minor Leagues