The official IBL season talk 2007-2008

Moderator: jman3134

jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

The official IBL season talk 2007-2008 

Post#1 » by jman3134 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:20 pm

Here is the official thread for all your IBL talk.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: The official IBL season talk 2007-2008 

Post#2 » by jman3134 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:22 pm

Because the USBL is sitting out this year, it is fairly interesting to see the response that the IBL has put out. Several former NBA players are participating in this year's IBL and hopefully more people catch on. Their platform of low pay and minimizing travel costs appears to be working at this point and it is starting to become a haven for basketball fans in the off season.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#3 » by jman3134 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:31 am

Elkhart has one loss on the season and looks poised to win another IBL championship. Anyone want to weigh in?
mammal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#4 » by mammal » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:32 pm

I have covered the IBL for a few years now. It's a league that is here for the long haul. The All-Star game was a joke but the commissioner really didn't want to do an All-Star game anyway. The playoffs should be better this year. In regards to Elkhart, nobody from the West can touch them. Only Gary can give them a run. If LA has Bailey, Vinson, Murray, and Knight for the playoffs I think they can win the West. Bellingham and Vancouver are solid. SnoCo has Murray and Powell back so they will play better. If Portland has Lucas and Wells they will be tough. In my last column I predicted a Elkhart and LA final. I can't see Elkhart losing. The IBL better hope Elkhart stays. It is the gold standard for not just the IBL but for all of the minor leagues.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#5 » by jman3134 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:54 pm

It's good to see a fellow minor league fan on board. Welcome to the board, and hopefully you will stick around. There are a few posters who have demonstrated interest in the IBL besides myself. (from previous years) With the recent board update, much of our prior discussion has been stored away. (and is not currently viewable) Do you write for any columns that you could link me to?

Anyway, thanks for weighing in. I have been following the IBL for the past couple of seasons myself. I do not have a team in my area, but I have kept up to date on the news reels and watched as much footage as possible. Many of the current players I have watched in either the NBA or college.

On another note, it's nice to see that Gary is playing another season and moving on. After the USBL stopped playing this year, it is good to see that this franchise is not giving up on its fans. (or simply playing by conventional standards and alligning itself completely with one league) As for their team, I am thoroughly shocked that former NBA standout Sam Mack is still playing in any league. And his 35 point showing against Elkhart demonstrates that he is probably in tip top shape. They have a nice supporting cast that I am familiar with. Benson Callier is a solid role player who had a nice college career. He has the ability to explode into one of the stars in this league down the line. I think his production depends on the system more than anything. Also, his production has improved consistently since he transferred from Florida St. Shaun Fountain provides experience and steady play from the point guard slot. Parran is an athletic beast. some may remember him from the college dunk contest, but he provided flashy play for Chicago St. throughout his career. Also, Aaron Spears has excellent post moves, but is a bit inconsistent.

To address the latter part of your post, where will Elkhart go to? The IBL seems to be the standard for spring ball and the low travel costs are what makes the league. If they moved into winter ball in either the CBA, ABA, PBL etc., they would be giving up much of their personnel. (many of which I am guessing go overseas or have conflicting interest with other winter teams)

As for Elkhart's team, Cedric Moodie has been a versatile force for this squad for many years now. His consistent production and team play could make him the most valuable player in the IBL. Throw in Villanova product Chris Charles, who never really lived up to his billing in college but has steadily produced with increased playing time, and you have a nice inside outside combination. Add Will Whittington and you have one of the best pure shooters in the league. I'm not entirely shocked with the dominance of Elkhart. They have the veteran experience and the young talent that make the Express run.
mammal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by mammal » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:52 am

I have heard Whispers of Elkhart and maybe SnoCo leaving. It may just be nonsense but on and off the court these two franchises are the best and it would be bad if they left. Kind of like all the top ABA teams leaving for the PBL. Overall, the talent in the IBL gets better every year. I still would like to see more of a commitment to an legit all-star game and playoffs but it does cost $$$. Commissioner Duilio, who I like a lot, is very cost consious. The WBA is back but is largely regional. The USBL is gone. The UBL is around but is mainly in the midwest. I thought this would be a break out year for the IBL. While it has not been a bad year, it has not been the break out year I thought it was going to be. The team from China came late and many teams skipped the 2008 season to focus on 2009. I hope they all come back but in the minor leagues you never know.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#7 » by jman3134 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:59 am

I have noticed that the number of teams has dramatically declined from the previous year. However, I assumed it was due to stringent regulations placed on some of the lesser-earning teams. I remember that many of the lower ranked teams were in financial woe after not producing on the court. However, the competition appears to be better this year and I assume that the general financial status of this league seems to be promising.

The Salem's, Cuyahoga Falls, etc. are gone this year. (but at least Salem is returning in 09. I guess things are looking up at this point.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by jman3134 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:06 am

mammal wrote:I have heard Whispers of Elkhart and maybe SnoCo leaving. It may just be nonsense but on and off the court these two franchises are the best and it would be bad if they left. Kind of like all the top ABA teams leaving for the PBL. Overall, the talent in the IBL gets better every year. I still would like to see more of a commitment to an legit all-star game and playoffs but it does cost $$$. Commissioner Duilio, who I like a lot, is very cost consious. The WBA is back but is largely regional. The USBL is gone. The UBL is around but is mainly in the midwest. I thought this would be a break out year for the IBL. While it has not been a bad year, it has not been the break out year I thought it was going to be. The team from China came late and many teams skipped the 2008 season to focus on 2009. I hope they all come back but in the minor leagues you never know.

Yeah, well I guess my main question is where Elkhart and SnoCo would go to? Since it seems that the UBL and WBA are regional, would they form their own league like the PBL. I think this is what you are suggesting.....

Anyway, I have spoken to Mac, the founder of the UBL and he hopes to expand eventually. I guess the small market deal is really keeping the IBL in check. If they add a TV contract, which would probably never happen, they could really change the face of minor league basketball. I think there are rumblings that the PBL is going to do that. Anyway, the IBL has received exposure locally, (and it has appeared on sportscenter top plays probably once or twice) but it has not really infiltrated the mainstream just yet. I think that the commissioner's penchant for saving money is a fairly good quality for minor league basketball. (even if we as fans would like to see more) Minor league basketball is one of the toughest sells.
mammal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by mammal » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:48 pm

If Elkhart and SnoCo do leave I am sure it will be to the PBL or CBA. It will be a different season for them but I have no doubt both teams could thrive in a higher level league. I hope they don't leave-I want to see the IBL thrive. I have covered it for a while now and think it's a legit league. My columns can be read mainly at http://www.probasketballnews.com and http://www.oursportscentral.com
I would love to see a little more inter-league play in the IBL but that would mean more travel costs and travel kills most minor leagues. Kind of a catch 22.

I am also part of a group called "Own My Team" which is looking to get several thousand people together so we can purchase and run our very own IBL team. Check out the website at http://www.ownmyteam.com
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#10 » by jman3134 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:18 pm

mammal wrote:If Elkhart and SnoCo do leave I am sure it will be to the PBL or CBA. It will be a different season for them but I have no doubt both teams could thrive in a higher level league. I hope they don't leave-I want to see the IBL thrive. I have covered it for a while now and think it's a legit league. My columns can be read mainly at http://www.probasketballnews.com and http://www.oursportscentral.com
I would love to see a little more inter-league play in the IBL but that would mean more travel costs and travel kills most minor leagues. Kind of a catch 22.

I am also part of a group called "Own My Team" which is looking to get several thousand people together so we can purchase and run our very own IBL team. Check out the website at http://www.ownmyteam.com

It is extremely interesting that Jon Steffansson is mentioned as a potential candidate for IBL basketball. Suddenly, the IBL is recruiting overseas talent? That is nice to hear. (seen on ownmyteam.com) Jon is a big point guard who could make a huge impact in the minors. However, I'm pretty sure that the Italian domestic league season runs into the IBL season. That could be a major stumbling block in negotiations. Of course, he could come midseason, but that could also be problematic.

Anyway, it is nice to hear that you write for oursportscentral.

In regards to the IBL, what do you think Bellingham's chances are after reeling off 12 straight wins. Moreover, what happened to Battle Creek since their undefeated season? Imo, Ed McCants should be enough to put the team over the 500 hump. His outside shooting is deadly despite being a bit undersized at the 2.
mammal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by mammal » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:23 pm

I like Bellingham's chances to come out of the West. I predicted it would be LA if Vinson, Bailey, Knight, and Murray are all playing. Bailey has not played in the past few games and LA has not been the same. Vancouver and Bellingham are playing very good ball. They are a bit under the radar because they don't have the star power like Portland and LA. SnoCo is a good team plus they just got Powell and Murray back. Should be some good playoff basketball out West. I still don't think anyone can touch Elkahart. Gary beat them early in the season but it may have been a fluke. The BC Knights have not been the same team after winning the 2005 title. They have not been able to attract as much talent. It is a very well run organization with an absolute ton of sponsers. They, along with SnoCo and Elkhart do it right. I am starting on my IBL playoff preview column pretty soon. I need a little more info from the league then I will start writing.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#12 » by jman3134 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:32 pm

Yeah, I think we would appreciate if you posted your playoff preview via quoting sportingnews or oursportscentral, or whomever you are writing it for.....I had made one for the USBL a couple seasons ago. I guess you do have to collect information because many players seemingly sit out a few games during the season. Hopefully, the best players will come to play and not quit on their teams.

Anyway, we will see if the invincible Elkhart can be stopped. I still believe that Gary has a chance against them and that it was not so much of a fluke.

Johnson, Zachary, WIllis, and Madison are all pretty talented guards. I guess they need more inside play. Madison is in the allstar game and McCants is one of the best players in the league imo.
mammal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by mammal » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:54 pm

The IBL playoffs begin June 27th. I was very dissapointed to hear LA will not be participating. They have the star power with Toby Bailey, Billy Knight, Lamond Murray, Fred Vinson and Keith Closs. I asked the owner last week if he will have the big 5 for the playoffs and he said yes. Now they won't be playing? Hmm. I have also heard more whispers about more than a couple teams leaving to form a new league. Gotta love minor league basketball! I just don't see anyone being able to touch Elkhart. I think Bellingham will win the West and give Elkhart a pretty good game for the title. Elkhart will pull away in the second half and win by 10.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#14 » by jman3134 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:38 pm

That is extremely disappointing that those former NBA stars cannot match up against Elkhart. They would have definitely pulled the upset imo. Anyway, what is your opinion on some of the teams coming in next year? Do you think they are one and done squads? Or do they have lasting potential? Do you think any teams stand to make a run other than the obvious with top records? (teams with the personnel that underachieve.
mammal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by mammal » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:15 pm

The majority of the teams scheduled to play in 2009 have been in the IBL but chose to sit out the 2008 season for financial reasons. Salem & Eugene were very competitive, in fact, Salem may have had the most pure talent in the IBL last season. They were a heck of a ballclub. Not much fan support though. Eugene was around .500. Arizona changed venues a few times in 2007 and never really got off the ground. Seattle was an original member of the IBL and has always been decent. Olympia sounds like a shoestring kind of team. It will add to the I-5 rivalries with Vancouver, Portland, Seattle, and Tacoma. I think Nippon will have a hard time adjusting to the physical play like the team from China did. Don't know much about the Vancouver, BC team. If the are anything like Edmonton they will be fine. I am still hearing rumblings of several teams leaving. If thetop tier teams leave for a new league it will really hurt the IBL. Maybe the IBL should be a little less cost concsious?
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#16 » by jman3134 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:07 pm

Maybe but was it not their cost consciousness that separated them from the USBL and other borderline defunct leagues? Their innovative travel measures really added to the way leagues manage minor league clubs.

As for the teams, Salem did have talent, but I felt that Seattle was even better. Despite this, Salem rose towards the end of the season while Seattle generally faltered.
mammal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by mammal » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:19 pm

Edmonton beat Portland last night in a great ball game, 127-124. No word on the Snohomish County-Central Oregon game. I can't imagine that SnoCo would lose at home to the Hotshots. Elkhart should have a cake walk in the East. Elgin has played them well this year so if Elgin can get by Battle Creek it may be a decent East title game.
mammal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by mammal » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:51 pm

Wow, Central Oregon beat Snohomish County on their court. Ouch. No way they should have lost. Edmonton against Bellingham and CO against Vancouver in the West semis. I like Bellingham and Vancouver to play for the West title with Bellingham coming out on top. Bellingham and Elkhart (assuming they come out of the East) have not played this season. Should be a good game. If Edmonton comes out of the West, they got drilled by Elkhart twice this season. Elkhart did not play CO or Vancouver.
mammal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by mammal » Thu Jul 3, 2008 7:31 pm

It's Bellingham -v- Elkhart for the IBL title. One game winner take all in Bellingham. Who does everyone like in this one?
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#20 » by jman3134 » Fri Jul 4, 2008 3:03 pm

If Eroll Knight is available to play for this squad, they have a shot at winning. Ryan Diggs has had a great season and is doing everything for his team. He is able to score, rebound, and pass. The offense runs through him and he is quite the player. However, the slam do not have the interior play to really matchup with Elkhart. The Express boast one of the deepest rosters in the league, featuring allstar Cedric Moodie, 7 footers James Tyler and Chris Charles not to mention 6'10 big man Jared Lovette, and wings Coleco Buie and Will Whittington. Personally, I feel that they are too much to handle inside. Also, I feel that Will Whittington is going to be the X factor. He can fill it up from outside and light the Slam up. I believe that Elkhart should win handidly.

Return to Minor Leagues