Miles and retirement

Charcoal Filtered
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Miles and retirement 

Post#1 » by Charcoal Filtered » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:31 am

I thought that when Allan Houston retired, he signed an agreement that he would not come back for the length of his contract. Looking at Larry's FAQ's and the CBA, I could not find anything that says that this must be the case. It only says that the player must cooperate with the process once a team wants to explore this option.

Does anyone have info on if a player usually agrees not to play for the duration of his contract if found medically unfit?

My fear is that Miles gets medically certified as retired, gets his money, then another team signs him to play ten games for the minimum screwing the Blazers cap space in 2009.

Thanks.
The NBA: Where convicted tax evader Ken Mauer happens to officiate.
Phobo_Phile
Sixth Man
And1: 357

Post#2 » by Phobo_Phile » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:39 am

The incentive Miles for though is that if he complies, he gets the rest of his contract received in one gigantic lump sum, tax free. Whereas if he just sat on the roster he would collect the same pay but obviously he would pay income tax on it. Now that may not seem like much but the figures we are playing with, the money he would save would be several million I think. It would be the best for him to get rested anyway, I'm sure he feels that way too in order continue his career he must get healthier.
FGump
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#3 » by FGump » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:44 am

Phobo_Phile wrote:The incentive Miles for though is that if he complies, he gets the rest of his contract received in one gigantic lump sum, tax free. .

I don't think any of that is remotely accurate.

Wages are taxable. Income is taxable. Contract labor is taxable.

And to my knowledge there's nothing in the rules that accelerates the contractual payout if a player is waived or retires, regardless of reason.
Charcoal Filtered
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#4 » by Charcoal Filtered » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:19 am

FGump wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

And to my knowledge there's nothing in the rules that accelerates the contractual payout if a player is waived or retires, regardless of reason.

That is my understanding too. It is up to the player and the team as to how he is paid. For example, Shawn Kemp agreed to a buyout that paid over several years. The Blazers were charged for luxury and salary cap purposes as if he was paid for the years he had left on his deal. No consideration was made for how it was paid out.

The huge positive for Darius would be to get a lump sum when he signed the paperwork, but I believe there is no way that the Blazers do this unless he agrees to stay retired until after the 2009/10 season. That would be the only reason the Blazers would consider doing this.
The NBA: Where convicted tax evader Ken Mauer happens to officiate.
Duiz
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#5 » by Duiz » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:13 pm

Will he be bought out?
FGump
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#6 » by FGump » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:09 am

They are reportedly working on a medical retirement, which by definition is not a buyout.

Return to CBA & Business