Monta Ellis and Tampering?

arenas809
Pro Prospect
And1: 75

Monta Ellis and Tampering? 

Post#1 » by arenas809 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:05 pm

If this article was just speculation by a writer, then I wouldn't consider it an issue.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/20 ... ike-ellis/

My problem is, and I stated this in the buyout thread, is now you have too many players, in my opinion, making comments publicly about what players would be good for their team, while they're still under contract with other teams.

Here are a few quotes I think stood out.

Gay is well-versed on Ellis' resume and covets the third-year guard, who is soon to be a restricted free agent. "The kind of player he is would definitely help our system," Gay said as his Griz prepared to face Ellis and the Warriors tonight. "Somebody who can score a lot and get up and down the court would help us a lot. There's not much he can't do. He's probably one of the fastest guys in the league with and without the ball. His jump shot is deadly and when he gets to the basket, he finishes. His ability is kind of crazy."

"If we're doing the 'Buy or Sell,' I'm buying," Griz veteran sharpshooter Mike Miller said. "He knows what he's good at, and he sticks to it. He's a tough cover, and he's great in their system. But I think he'd be able to play in any system. That's how you judge a player. He'd be a great fit for us."

Here's a quote from Lebron James a few years ago, DURING free agency, and this is how I believe players should handle these sort of issues.

"As it turns out, James hopes the team isn't finished, as there are a few more players he'd like to call teammate next year. Whom does he have his eyes set on? ``I've got a few of them, but I'm not going to say,'' James said. ``I'm glad they're not done. I'll leave it at that.''

Players commenting on players and how they play the game and what not is one thing, but I think it goes a step further when guys start talking about how a guy would be a good fit for their team, if they hope the organization signs them, whatever.

It's just so coincidental that it's happening with players that are either about to secure buyouts, which is immediate free agency, or players who will be free agents in just a matter of months.
Dunkenstein
Starter
And1: 13

Post#2 » by Dunkenstein » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:08 pm

Read the section in the CBA on tampering. This wasn't tampering. This was a reporter asking Gay about Ellis because the Griz are in Oakland to play the Warriors tonight. Gay is not part of the Griz's management and he made no contact with Ellis or his representatives.
arenas809
Pro Prospect
And1: 75

Post#3 » by arenas809 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:03 pm

Dunkenstein wrote:Read the section in the CBA on tampering. This wasn't tampering. This was a reporter asking Gay about Ellis because the Griz are in Oakland to play the Warriors tonight. Gay is not part of the Griz's management and he made no contact with Ellis or his representatives.

When Will Perdue was accused of tampering, he was not a member of the Bulls management team.

Tampering isn't just reserved for executives.

I don't think this is in line with the Perdue incident, and it is probably not tampering, in the sense of the rule, but I think it's improper for them to comment on Ellis in that manner.

I agree, the questioning to the players had some level to do with Ellis's skill, but I disagree that the line of questioning was just about tonight's game.

If that had been the case, I'd imagine the quote would have been something, like, "He's a great player, he shoots it well, and he finishes at the basket. It's obvious he plays a large part in their success, and if we're going to have some success against them tonight, we're going to have to stop him."

Ok, that is a direct response to tonight's game and Ellis's ability to have an affect on the game and ultimate outcome.

Instead, the article starts with some background info on how Ellis and Gay were roommates at a camp years ago, then Gay's part ends with a summary of what Monta's skills are, and how the Grizzlies could use a player of his caliber.

Mike Miller's quote is of the same nature, and then ends with how he would fit on the team.

If a reporter was simply just asking about tonight's game, why would these guys voluntarily chime in about he, specifically, would be a good fit for their squad?

Hell, the Warriors have 8-9 players that would be good for the Grizzlies squad, but this article is specifically about Ellis.

Coincidences?

1. Monta Ellis is in a contract year.

2. The Memphis Grizzlies are one of few teams with substantial cap space this summer.

3. Players on the Grizzlies team are talking about his skill level and how he would fit in their system.

The better question is, why say anything at all that would even hint at the possibility of him being a member of the Grizzlies in the future?

If the comments were just restricted to a game, or skill set, or whatever, then there's no cause for discussion, but I think it's disingenuine, to read that article and then say these guys were just being asked about tonight's game.
FGump
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#4 » by FGump » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:56 pm

Dunkenstein wrote:Read the section in the CBA on tampering.

Good idea. Which specific section is it?
Dunkenstein
Starter
And1: 13

Post#5 » by Dunkenstein » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:36 pm

I was incorrect when I said that a player could not engage in tampering. This is covered in Exhibit A of the CBA (the Uniform Players Contract), Section 5 (f) which states in part (and I paraphrase) that a player shall not entice, induce or persuade any player who is under contract to any NBA team to enter into negotiations for or relating to his services as a basketball player except with prior written consent of such team.

I'm told that similar language in the NBA Operations Manual prohibits the teams from doing the same.
FGump
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#6 » by FGump » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:30 am

arenas809 wrote:I don't think this is in line with the Perdue incident, and it is probably not tampering, in the sense of the rule, but I think it's improper for them to comment on Ellis in that manner.

If a team complains, the player will get their wrist slapped with a warning, and that's about it. But those Gay-Miller comments didn't alter the landscape one single bit, so GS isn't going to care.

While you think their comments are "legal but improper" my take is that they are "perhaps theoretically improper, but refreshingly candid" and I'm glad to hear them talk when it doesn't change anything such as in this situation.

Return to CBA & Business