Disabled Player Exception

Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 274

Disabled Player Exception 

Post#1 » by Hopper15 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:19 am

I know it can only be used for an expiring contract with no future options. But does the acquiring team inherit bird rights, as with a normal trade?

I can see an argument on both sides. On one hand, you kind of harm the traded player from having bird rights used (be it via re-signing or s & t) if they do not convey. On the other hand, you give the acquiring team an advantage (i.e. keeping MLE/BAE available to use elsewhere) for the what is intended to be used for only that season.
DBoys
Starter
And1: 221

Re: Disabled Player Exception 

Post#2 » by DBoys » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:31 pm

The DPE is merely a type of permission [or "exception"] to add a player who will cause the team to go beyond the cap [or limit] on salary.

Once added, what happens after the contract runs out is governed by the same rules as always, just like when the permission is the MLE, BAE, MSE, etc.

When a contract runs out (except 10-day), the prior team gets cap-related latitude for re-signing in the form of Bird rights, early Bird rights, or NQ veteran rights, unless they renounce those rights. Which they get is simply a function of the contract history.

Return to CBA & Business