NCAA Final: Kansas vs. Memphis

Moderator: bwgood77

Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,767

Post#161 » by Cammo101 » Tue Apr 8, 2008 7:20 am

Memphis got badly outcoached tonight. That and free throw shooting down the stretch is what did them in. Great game though.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,474

Post#162 » by Ballings7 » Tue Apr 8, 2008 9:12 am

Harry Palmer wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Mind if I steal your sig?

Oh yeah, go ahead

Spin Move wrote:Wow, what an Amazing game, as a Kansas fan I can relate to what Memphis is going through, we had Nick Collison miss some really key free throws in the championship game a few years ago. Tonight was a rollercoaster, I had pretty much lost all hope but Memphis slipped and Kansas really stepped up.

I this was not just Memphis mistakes though Kansas made some HUGE shots, Collins made a great pair of plays getting KU right back into things and Chalmers shot was as big as it gets, he showed fortitude on a night when others might have lacked the humongous spheres to can that shot.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk Go KU!!!

lol! Indeed.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
Ballings7
RealGM

Post#163 » by Ballings7 » Tue Apr 8, 2008 9:49 am

Basileus777 wrote:Billy Packer and Jim Nantz Should have to say. "We apologize for Kissing Memphis's Ass all game and we admit that Kansas is the better team."

Oh my god, I know... it's like they were being the typical media and going for the more flashy team. Despite Kansas being right on their level and being exciting, too. I think in general it's because there aren't stand-out numbers from Kansas' players (the system and depth), and no big-time prospect. Which shouldn't and ultimately doesn't matter in the case of a quality team.

Those guys didn't give Kansas' defense enough credit. Either in not even recognizing it, in the way of silence, or talking about Memphis' offense.

I've noticed just about every announcer, doesn't recognize defensive play enough. They do at times during games, but the disparity to the offensive focus is too significant. Regardless if it's to cater to the general fan, becuase that's what they're focused on more, in watching, following the game because of appeal to it.

I think it's just stupid.

Billy Packer went kinda over-board on Kansas in the UNC game. Kansas definitely did show fatigue in part of the 2nd half, but they still kept the lead through-out, and eventually started playing better again, even before they completely took over again later in the half. I think he even contradicted himself a few times, in not mentioning Kansas improved energy, when other times just earlier talking about it being down.
Ballings7
RealGM

Post#164 » by Ballings7 » Tue Apr 8, 2008 10:18 am

I watched the replay of the 2nd half earlier, and I could only chuckle and smirk, when Jim Nantz called out "shot of the tournament!" on the Rose bank two or straight on three, immediately after the shot... and then on the way out to a commercial break just a bit after, shouting emphatically, "Memphis has rallied!".

Just great stuff, because he had no idea what was coming just a bit later :). Obviously thinking Memphis was probably going to keep hold of the lead they built from Rose's play.
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,619

Post#165 » by Da Schwab » Tue Apr 8, 2008 1:17 pm

Congrats to Kansas on playing and winning a great game last night.

I agree with the poster who said Memphis was outcoached. JC just didn't control the game the way he should've all night long. Aside from the lack of coaching for Memphis, they just looked very sluggish throughout the entire OT. It seemed that they put out all their effort in regulation, and JC didn't even think of gameplanning for an OT.

And, one more thing:

=

highrangeslang
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#166 » by highrangeslang » Tue Apr 8, 2008 5:31 pm

Isn't it a little bit ironic that before the game, the Memphis coach was saying stuff like 'I'm not worried about not making free throws. I'm not concerned." etc etc?
We have met the enemy, and he is us.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#167 » by Nolan » Tue Apr 8, 2008 6:04 pm

great game, congrats to Kansas
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Ballings7
RealGM

Post#168 » by Ballings7 » Tue Apr 8, 2008 6:32 pm

Game replays tonight at 11 ET on ESPN Classic.
CelticsMillerJayhawks31
Junior
And1: 3

Post#169 » by CelticsMillerJayhawks31 » Tue Apr 8, 2008 8:03 pm

wow great year for Kansas winning the organe bowl too. amazing game go jayhawks
wilt
Analyst
And1: 147

Post#170 » by wilt » Tue Apr 8, 2008 9:22 pm

highrangeslang wrote:Isn't it a little bit ironic that before the game, the Memphis coach was saying stuff like 'I'm not worried about not making free throws. I'm not concerned." etc etc?

what is he supposed to say : "Yeah, you are right. My guys can

"Toughness is not just hard fouls and being willing to fight people. Toughness is being 10 down and continuing to do what your coach wants you to do."
memgrizzlies
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: NCAA Final: Kansas vs. Memphis 

Post#171 » by memgrizzlies » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:34 pm

whenever i see a recap of this game, a story of this game, or even when someone mentions the words, "kansas", or "ncaa championship", i wanna kill myself...and so does every memphis fan. day after the championship in memphis was terrible. everyone moaning, tired, pissed off.

Return to NCAA Basketball