ImageImageImageImageImage

Game 69: Houston @ Washington

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,456

Game 69: Houston @ Washington 

Post#1 » by mhd » Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:13 pm

You have to be a true glutton for punishment to watch this game.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,937

Re: Game 69: Houston @ Washington 

Post#2 » by payitforward » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:01 am

Why?
How about my guy Champagnie?
Butler's having a game too. For that matter, so is Gill. Not to mention Kispert shooting lights out.

We could stun the world here. Get to 10 wins. It's not impossible!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
dorianwrite
Rookie
And1: 273

Post#3 » by dorianwrite » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:54 am

mhd wrote:You have to be a true glutton for punishment to watch this game.

Actually, the game has been a lot of fun...until mid-way through the 3rd quarter. If I watch the 4th, then I'm a glutton for punishment.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,230

Post#4 » by AFM » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:18 am

Game 69? Nice.
mhd
General Manager

Post#5 » by mhd » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:19 am

Even our G-leaguers like Bernard look better than Davis does. I seriously think he might just straight up get cut in the off-season. Why waste the roster spot on him?
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 4,006

Post#6 » by DCZards » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:52 pm

payitforward wrote:Why?
How about my guy Champagnie?
Butler's having a game too. For that matter, so is Gill. Not to mention Kispert shooting lights out.

We could stun the world here. Get to 10 wins. It's not impossible!

Hey…the Zards already have 11 wins. Don’t sell us short. :)

Sadly, I’m also beginning to believe that Davis is simply not an NBA player. Plays tough D and is a physical rebounder for his size…but doesn’t shoot well and shows little or no aggression or skillset on the offensive end.

G-leaguers Champagnie and Bernard have definitely been out playing Johnny.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,574

Post#7 » by nate33 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:14 pm

mhd wrote:Even our G-leaguers like Bernard look better than Davis does. I seriously think he might just straight up get cut in the off-season. Why waste the roster spot on him?

Yeah, I'd rather use the roster spot on someone else. The roster is already pretty crowded. We already have the following guys under contract for next season:

Poole
Kuzma
Avdija
Holmes
Bagley
Coulibaly
Kispert
Baldwin
Vukcevic
Omoruyi
top 5 pick
#24 pick

That's 12 guys already. There's also:

#47 pick (if he makes the roster)
Tyus resigned, or if not, the likely signing of a vet point guard to replace him.
Shamet

So that's a full roster already. If we keep Davis, Shamet is out; and I'd rather have Shamet. He is a better, more useful player, and also a potential trade asset. Another option is to cut Baldwin, but given his substantial improvement since last summer and his cheap contract, I'd prefer him over Davis. I guess a third option is to buy out Holmes. That probably only makes sense if one of our FRP's is an NBA-ready center like Clingan.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,361

Post#8 » by Kanyewest » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:38 pm

Davis only has 1 game in double digit scoring this season and that was against the Orlando Magic in a game where Joe Ingles decided not to cover him at all and help on other players. He had 7 games of double digit scoring last year all of which occurred after March 14 when the season was essentially over but a similar run is looing unlikely although they might as well play he him. He did have a nice alley oop from Butler but he seems like he's not only a poor shooter from 3 (23% for the season), but he's also tentative to shoot even though he's pretty much wide open. He's also shooting 37.5% on 2 pointers and 54% from the line. He's going into Isiah Todd territory.
mhd
General Manager

Post#9 » by mhd » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:52 pm

nate33 wrote:
mhd wrote:Even our G-leaguers like Bernard look better than Davis does. I seriously think he might just straight up get cut in the off-season. Why waste the roster spot on him?

Yeah, I'd rather use the roster spot on someone else. The roster is already pretty crowded. We already have the following guys under contract for next season:

Poole
Kuzma
Avdija
Holmes
Bagley
Coulibaly
Kispert
Baldwin
Vukcevic
Omoruyi
top 5 pick
#24 pick

Tyus resigned, or if not, the likely signing of a vet point guard to replace him.
Shamet

So that's a full roster already. If we keep Davis, Shamet is out; and I'd rather have Shamet. He is a better, more useful player, and also a potential trade asset. Another option is to cut Baldwin, but given his substantial improvement since last summer and his cheap contract, I'd prefer him over Davis. I guess a third option is to buy out Holmes. That probably only makes sense if one of our FRP's is an NBA-ready center like Clingan.

I don't think Ompruyi actually is guaranteed for the next couple of years. I know they signed him, but I figure those extra years are team options/non-guarantees. I can't imagine they want to waste a roster spot on him with Vukcevic and possible another young big on the roster next year.

Maybe we use a combo of Holmes+Davis for another Bagley-type trade to pick up some future 2nds as a BOYD. Otherwise, I think its completely pointless to have Davis on the roster. They all he know he isn't an NBA filler. He's just salary filler this year.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,134

Post#10 » by dckingsfan » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:32 pm

nate33 wrote:

Poole
Kuzma
Avdija
Holmes
Bagley
Coulibaly
Kispert
Baldwin
Vukcevic
Omoruyi
top 5 pick
#24 pick

Shamet

I am with you - just let Davis go.

And then will one of Bagley, Holmes will be used in a trade (because they are expiring contracts)?

And then you have our hope that we trade 1 for 7 & 14 (Portland because Tankathon tells me so :) ) & the Clips semi-tank and we get 21. So we get 7, 14, 21 (which seems so not #soWizards). And yes, Tyus signs that declining contract and maybe we move Kispert along with one of Bagley or Holmes. Then we magically get the #1 pick in '25 and Bob's your uncle, we are ready to roll.

Tell me it is going to go that way :eyebrows:

Oh - and we don't completely botch the draft with those 3 picks.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,558

Post#11 » by closg00 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:39 pm

nate33 wrote:

Poole
Kuzma
Avdija
Holmes
Bagley
Coulibaly
Kispert
Baldwin
Vukcevic
Omoruyi
top 5 pick
#24 pick

Shamet

Why did we pickup the options? OOF, waive PBJ, Davis, & don't re-sign Omoruyi
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,574

Post#12 » by nate33 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:41 pm

closg00 wrote:
nate33 wrote:

Poole
Kuzma
Avdija
Holmes
Bagley
Coulibaly
Kispert
Baldwin
Vukcevic
Omoruyi
top 5 pick
#24 pick

Shamet

Why did we pickup the options? OOF, waive PBJ, Davis, & don't re-sign Omoruyi

My bad on Omoruyi. He is not guaranteed.

PBJ's 3rd year has already been locked in because we have to make that decision early in his 2nd year. (They don't let you wait until the end of the season to decide.). It's the same issue with Davis actually. We had to commit to his 3rd year before confirming this season that he is a bust.

Return to Washington Wizards