ImageImageImageImageImage

Game Thread 47: Sailboats @ Wand Wavers

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Re: Game Thread 47: Sailboats @ Wand Wavers 

Post#21 » by tontoz » Thu Feb 1, 2024 2:40 am

thebigE wrote:What happened to that dynamic rebounding duo of Gafford Bagley?

They combined for 16 rebounds in 40 minutes.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,643

Post#22 » by pancakes3 » Thu Feb 1, 2024 3:11 pm

was at the game last night. some morning-after thoughts:

- really hate to pick on the kid but Coulibaly had to be directed on multiple instances by Deni on where to go and where to stand. i don't now if it's a language barrier thing or a rookie thing but he really doesn't feel comfortable, especially with the first unit (when Kuz is in).
- and yeah, Bilal is definitely not looking for his show especially in the halfcourt. he's great on the break and knows to take it to the rim but passes the ball off way too much in halfcourt sets.
- Bilal did play amazing defense though. he basically shut Harden down. after a couple possessions, Harden wised up (or reverted to laziness) and would give it to Kawhi to do work on Deni. Amazing that a 6'9 guy could straight up mark James Harden. Deni did a decent job on Kawhi too, but Kawhi is just robotically good. Nothing fazes him.
- Kispert is viable. Started to drive too and not just a shooter. Joe Harris 2.0.
- Kuz, as always, love him or hate him, is the only guy who can go and get a bucket. Was going OFF in the first half, and the only reason we were within striking range before the clippers went on their run in the 3Q.
- We don't run at all. Basically only run on turnovers, and we don't generate any turnovers.
- Kawhi messed up back-to-back inbounds by himself singlehandedly. And made it look pedestrian. But also maybe the greatest defensive performance I've seen live. Ok, that's an exaggeration but i thought it was incredibly impressive. I think he was marking Kuz. Kuz took it out the first time, and he just straight up slapped it back out of bounds. Then someone else went to go inbound to Kuz, and Kawhi batted it away like a cover corner. We almost messed up on the third one when we tried to lob it over Kawhi and he almost got a hand on it again for a steal. It's an inbounds. Three times. In a row. Insane. I think part of it too was that Kawhi was just standing there, not jumping around, waving his hands, or pressing in a KG-slap-the-floor aggressive stance. Just walked up to the sideline. Slap. Followed Kuz. Hand up. Deflected. Stands next to Kuz, sees the apex, walks a step or two, put his hand up. Tipped.
- Even with Poole out, our rotations are a mess. Yall are spot on with Deni's minutes. He gets handed the reigns to be point forward, but constantly gets pulled. No real rhyme or reason for Gafford's minutes for going on 3 years now? Kispert doesn't get to stay despite having a relatively hot hand.
- Baldwin played hungry. Davis played scared.
- I hope we pay Gill until the end of time. He can be our Udonis Haslem. Great guy. First to come out and warm up after halftime, chopping it up with security and staff. Sank his garbage time 3 and played great defense (on bones?). Just seems like a really solid dude.
Bullets -> Wizards
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,455

Post#23 » by mhd » Thu Feb 1, 2024 3:17 pm

pancakes3 wrote:was at the game last night. some morning-after thoughts:

- really hate to pick on the kid but Coulibaly had to be directed on multiple instances by Deni on where to go and where to stand. i don't now if it's a language barrier thing or a rookie thing but he really doesn't feel comfortable, especially with the first unit (when Kuz is in).
- and yeah, Bilal is definitely not looking for his show especially in the halfcourt. he's great on the break and knows to take it to the rim but passes the ball off way too much in halfcourt sets.
- Bilal did play amazing defense though. he basically shut Harden down. after a couple possessions, Harden wised up (or reverted to laziness) and would give it to Kawhi to do work on Deni. Amazing that a 6'9 guy could straight up mark James Harden. Deni did a decent job on Kawhi too, but Kawhi is just robotically good. Nothing fazes him.
- Kispert is viable. Started to drive too and not just a shooter. Joe Harris 2.0.
- Kuz, as always, love him or hate him, is the only guy who can go and get a bucket. Was going OFF in the first half, and the only reason we were within striking range before the clippers went on their run in the 3Q.
- We don't run at all. Basically only run on turnovers, and we don't generate any turnovers.
- Kawhi messed up back-to-back inbounds by himself singlehandedly. And made it look pedestrian. But also maybe the greatest defensive performance I've seen live. Ok, that's an exaggeration but i thought it was incredibly impressive. I think he was marking Kuz. Kuz took it out the first time, and he just straight up slapped it back out of bounds. Then someone else went to go inbound to Kuz, and Kawhi batted it away like a cover corner. We almost messed up on the third one when we tried to lob it over Kawhi and he almost got a hand on it again for a steal. It's an inbounds. Three times. In a row. Insane. I think part of it too was that Kawhi was just standing there, not jumping around, waving his hands, or pressing in a KG-slap-the-floor aggressive stance. Just walked up to the sideline. Slap. Followed Kuz. Hand up. Deflected. Stands next to Kuz, sees the apex, walks a step or two, put his hand up. Tipped.
- Even with Poole out, our rotations are a mess. Yall are spot on with Deni's minutes. He gets handed the reigns to be point forward, but constantly gets pulled. No real rhyme or reason for Gafford's minutes for going on 3 years now? Kispert doesn't get to stay despite having a relatively hot hand.
- Baldwin played hungry. Davis played scared.
- I hope we pay Gill until the end of time. He can be our Udonis Haslem. Great guy. First to come out and warm up after halftime, chopping it up with security and staff. Sank his garbage time 3 and played great defense (on bones?). Just seems like a really solid dude.

Kispert RAVED about Gill as a teammate. I'd keep Gill as the 15th man Haslem type. You need one of those guys on your team.

I think Davis traded by the deadline as cap filler in a bigger trade.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,643

Post#24 » by pancakes3 » Thu Feb 1, 2024 3:28 pm

mhd wrote:Kispert RAVED about Gill as a teammate. I'd keep Gill as the 15th man Haslem type. You need one of those guys on your team.

I think Davis traded by the deadline as cap filler in a bigger trade.

Lol, unsurprising. At halftime, when Gill came out to warm up, the second guy to come out was Kispert and Gill rebounded for him :lol:
Bullets -> Wizards

Return to Washington Wizards