ImageImageImageImageImage

Spurs vs Wizards

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

2Fluffy4U
Sophomore
And1: 93

Re: Spurs vs Wizards 

Post#21 » by 2Fluffy4U » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:33 am

So this is what its like to have a coach on the sidelines that has a feel for what is going on court.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,361

Post#22 » by Kanyewest » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:57 am

Deni chipped his tooth, maybe that's why he played less?
2Fluffy4U
Sophomore
And1: 93

Post#23 » by 2Fluffy4U » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:18 am

Read on Twitter

When asked about Brian Keefe, Kuz actually says: "...you know he had to work to get to this level..."
MOSH
Ballboy
And1: 29

Post#24 » by MOSH » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:02 am

Hey there, been lurking for years, this is my first post.

I predict Deni will get his minutes back once the deadline is over.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 4,006

Post#25 » by DCZards » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:36 pm

badinage wrote:After the trade deadline, they could have Jaden Hardy, who had 20 and 7 assists tonight for Dallas. I hope they can poach him — that’d give us another youngun with room to grow. I think a smart front office is one that targets picks but also tries to steal babies (er, not real ones, but NBA ones). Hardy, Deni, Couliballer, and let’s see whether Bags can turn into something …

Yup…if the Zards were to make a trade with Dallas Jaden Hardy would be my target as well. I think he’s an under-the-radar young talent who could flourish in the right situation.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#26 » by tontoz » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:48 pm

DCZards wrote:
badinage wrote:After the trade deadline, they could have Jaden Hardy, who had 20 and 7 assists tonight for Dallas. I hope they can poach him — that’d give us another youngun with room to grow. I think a smart front office is one that targets picks but also tries to steal babies (er, not real ones, but NBA ones). Hardy, Deni, Couliballer, and let’s see whether Bags can turn into something …

Yup…if the Zards were to make a trade with Dallas Jaden Hardy would be my target as well. I think he’s an under-the-radar young talent who could flourish in the right situation.

No thanks on Hardy, an undersized 2 who is pretty useless unless he is making 3. Lousy defender and struggles to finish inside.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
DCZards
RealGM

Post#27 » by DCZards » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:18 pm

What I may have liked best about last night’s game is that the ball was primarily in the hands of Jones and not Kuz in the last couple of minutes…something I’ve been asking for.

Down the stretch, Kuz was set up by Jones for an easy layup and Tyus found Poole for an open 3.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#28 » by WallToWall » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:57 pm

What I liked about this game was the effort. They all played with effort, with big props going to Gafford. Someone lit a fire under him, and I haven’t seen him play that hard in a long while.
Effort will win some games.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,435

Post#29 » by doclinkin » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:11 pm

DCZards wrote:What I may have liked best about last night’s game is that the ball was primarily in the hands of Jones and not Kuz in the last couple of minutes…something I’ve been asking for.

Down the stretch, Kuz was set up by Jones for an easy layup and Tyus found Poole for an open 3.

Apparently it is something Kuz asked for. Coach Keefe said Kuz approached him and asked if he could screen for Tyus in the high pick and roll. Coach agreed and twice in a row they made it work.

The Athletic

During a timeout late in Monday’s game, Kuzma offered a suggestion during a team huddle. Kuzma offered to set screens for Tyus Jones in high pick-and-rolls. Keefe obliged again and again.

As Washington trailed 107-104 with 3:46 left in the fourth quarter, a screen by Kuzma allowed Jones to drive into the paint, and Jones snapped a pass to Poole in the left corner. Poole drained the 3-pointer.

On the Wizards’ next possession, with the Wizards trailing 109-107, Kuzma rolled to the paint, received a pass from Jones and drew a double-team from Victor Wembanyama and Cedi Osman. Kuzma then passed to the right corner, where Bilal Coulibaly was wide-open. Coulibaly sank the 3.

During his postgame news conference, Keefe credited Kuzma for the suggestion and lauded Kuzma and Jones for making the correct decisions late in the game.

Keefe and Kuzma believe in each other. Kuzma’s first two NBA seasons with the Lakers coincided with Keefe’s final two seasons on the Lakers’ coaching staff.

“His maturation has been great to see,” Keefe said. “But you could see that when he was young, that this is who he was going to become, because of the amount of time that he put in. It’s fun to be around a second time with him, and I’ve got a ton of trust in him.”
DCZards
RealGM

Post#30 » by DCZards » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:44 pm

doclinkin wrote:
DCZards wrote:What I may have liked best about last night’s game is that the ball was primarily in the hands of Jones and not Kuz in the last couple of minutes…something I’ve been asking for.

Apparently it is something Kuz asked for. Coach Keefe said Kuz approached him and asked if he could screen for Tyus in the high pick and roll. Coach agreed and twice in a row they made it work.

The Athletic

During a timeout late in Monday’s game, Kuzma offered a suggestion during a team huddle. Kuzma offered to set screens for Tyus Jones in high pick-and-rolls. Keefe obliged again and again.

As Washington trailed 107-104 with 3:46 left in the fourth quarter, a screen by Kuzma allowed Jones to drive into the paint, and Jones snapped a pass to Poole in the left corner. Poole drained the 3-pointer.

On the Wizards’ next possession, with the Wizards trailing 109-107, Kuzma rolled to the paint, received a pass from Jones and drew a double-team from Victor Wembanyama and Cedi Osman. Kuzma then passed to the right corner, where Bilal Coulibaly was wide-open. Coulibaly sank the 3.

During his postgame news conference, Keefe credited Kuzma for the suggestion and lauded Kuzma and Jones for making the correct decisions late in the game.

Keefe and Kuzma believe in each other. Kuzma’s first two NBA seasons with the Lakers coincided with Keefe’s final two seasons on the Lakers’ coaching staff.

“His maturation has been great to see,” Keefe said. “But you could see that when he was young, that this is who he was going to become, because of the amount of time that he put in. It’s fun to be around a second time with him, and I’ve got a ton of trust in him.”

Having the ball in his hands also enabled Tyus to find his way into the paint for two short jumpers late in the game.

Jones makes smart decisions and doesn’t turn it over…exactly the kind of player I want with the ball at clutch time. I hope that continues to be the game plan.
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,159

Post#31 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:27 pm

Kanyewest wrote:Deni chipped his tooth, maybe that's why he played less?

That's laughable. He was playing well too, I just have to believe it's showcasing the rest of those guys that were out there minus Bilal.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,937

Post#32 » by payitforward » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:44 am

MOSH wrote:Hey there, been lurking for years, this is my first post.

I predict Deni will get his minutes back once the deadline is over.

Welcome, MOSH !! Don't let your first post be your last one, dude! The more the merrier here.

Find something to criticize me about -- that should be pretty easy!
(everyone agree...?)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....

Return to Washington Wizards