ImageImageImageImageImage

Woj: Wizards finalizing deal to acquire Marvin Bagley, Isaiah Livers and picks for Galinari and Mike Muscala…

Moderators: montestewart, LyricalRico, nate33

gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,740

Re: Woj: Wizards finalizing deal to acquire Marvin Bagley, Isaiah Livers and picks for Galinari and Mike Muscala… 

Post#21 » by gambitx777 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:44 pm

80sballboy wrote:Nothing exciting but I'm back after missing about 3-4 months for the first time from this board possibly ever and am hopeful we can get better picks for other guys (Jones, Kuz). We got two seconds for crap and yes, took on a bad contract in Bagley (we're not winning next season either). Welcome to the NBA of 2024. The rebulid is not going to take months, it will take years. Tough when you are getting older and already saw a rebuild that didn't work out completely, but you have to trust whatever we're calling this, Trust the Walkins. :)
I would like to push on the contract it's not bad in any way. The kids 6-11 and 24. Rookies in this year's draft were his age. Or a few months less. I say this all the time bigs develop let's for get that's he's a bust as a draft pick. He's missed time but when he has played this year. His defence has been passable. He's averaging 10 and 5. He only has one year left at 12 mill he's not in anyway a bad contract. He could definitely have an Andrew Wiggins resurgence later in his BB life span.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,789

Re: Woj: Wizards finalizing deal to acquire Marvin Bagley, Isaiah Livers and picks for Galinari and Mike Muscala… 

Post#22 » by penbeast0 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:36 pm

Welcome Marvin Bagley. We all hope you succeed here and have a long, successful career as a Wiz kid. We on this board, like Detroit fans, will probably be unfair to you at times because we get frustrated with losing but you have NBA big man skills and will get a chance to show them off. Good luck!
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,426

Post#23 » by NatP4 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:40 pm

I thought Bagley was slowing developing into a decent player. Putting up 20&9 per 36 on 64% TS and plays solid defense.

Figured Muscala and Gallinari were buyout guys
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,590

Post#24 » by nate33 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:44 pm

NatP4 wrote:I thought Bagley was slowing developing into a decent player. Putting up 20&9 per 36 on 64% TS and plays solid defense.

I'm not very optimistic. The guy only managed to merit 478 total minutes on possibly the worst team in NBA history. And that despite Duren missing 10 games. I haven't watched him play much, but I'm guessing the "solid defense" part of your statement is inaccurate.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#25 » by gambitx777 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:53 pm

nate33 wrote:
NatP4 wrote:I thought Bagley was slowing developing into a decent player. Putting up 20&9 per 36 on 64% TS and plays solid defense.

I'm not very optimistic. The guy only managed to merit 478 total minutes on possibly the worst team in NBA history. And that despite Duren missing 10 games. I haven't watched him play much, but I'm guessing the "solid defense" part of your statement is inaccurate.
I thought he was hurt.

Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,364

Post#26 » by Kanyewest » Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:58 pm

nate33 wrote:

Maybe there is some value given that Detroit had an excess of bigs (Duren, Stewart, and Wiseman). Looks like he's given up shooting 3s - might be a coach Monty thing.
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 893

Post#27 » by badinage » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:18 pm

A big who can play inside and isn’t a walking corpse like Gallo or Muscala — that’s a big upgrade.

The fact is, this isn’t a 7-win team. Wes is bad, yes, and the roster wasn’t constructed to be competitive, and there are shot-jackers — all of that, yes; but this team loses by twenty and thirty because there’s no interior play that’s halfway decent. Deni can’t do it all, and he also is on the perimeter a bunch. With decent interior play, they’re not a laughingstock.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,426

Post#28 » by NatP4 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:20 pm

nate33 wrote:

It’s Detroit…
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,972

Post#29 » by tontoz » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:25 pm

Remember that we picked up Gafford off the scrap heap. Chicago sucked and he was struggling to get minutes there.

Certainly Bagley has been a bust relative to his draft position but it isn't out of the question that he could become a decent backup center
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#30 » by nate33 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:26 pm

NatP4 wrote:
nate33 wrote:

It’s Detroit…

The way I look at Bagley is that I believe he belongs in an NBA rotation. He is a legit NBA player, not a guy bound for China. I don't think he is a very good NBA player, but if you needed a backup center, and he was available in free agency, you'd be totally fine paying a vet minimum contract for him.

Well, the Wizards will need a backup center next year, so if they would have signed a free agent Bagley to a vet minimum deal ($2M), I would have been totally fine with it. The only issue is that Bagley is being paid $12.5M next year instead of $2M. That $10.5M cost differential is effectively what we paid to acquire two picks - one is likely to be in the 31-35 range in 2025, and the other to be in the 45-52 range in 2026.

I think that's a pretty good bargain. But there is a small opportunity cost of not having that cap room in the offseason.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#31 » by nate33 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:30 pm

tontoz wrote:Remember that we picked up Gafford off the scrap heap. Chicago sucked and he was struggling to get minutes there.

Certainly Bagley has been a bust relative to his draft position but it isn't out of the question that he could become a decent backup center

I think that's a slightly different scenario. We traded a reasonably young, theoretically useful player in Troy Brown to get Gafford. Troy Brown was a guy who at the time still could have panned out to be a quality rotation player in the league if his 3-point ball ever came around. As it turned out, TB never really developed a shot so he panned out as a journeyman end-of-bench guy.

I don't think Bagley has the upside potential of Gafford. But since we didn't give up any potential value in the transaction except cap room, I'm okay with it.
tleikheen
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,036

Post#32 » by tleikheen » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:30 pm

Wow ,1st Baldwin gets some minutes in the rotation and now Marvin Bagley is gotten in a trade.......... making Kyle Kuzma trade ready ? The 2 best big forwards available are 29 y o Siakam 22.3 ppg /6'3 rpg /4.9 apg & 28 y o Kyle Kuzma 22.4 ppg /6.4 rpg /4.2 apg. You can say Siakam is putting his numbers up with a better team BUT who says Kuzma wouldnt do better if in the same position.
The three teams making noise at least by the media is Dallas or Indiana or Sacramento ,all teams with winning records.
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 863

Post#33 » by 9 and 20 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:43 pm

Interesting trade - I don't think it's a slam dunk win. We trading away Gaff, maybe? To the Knicks, with their backup C coming back plus a pick or two might make sense. Orlando maybe?

Bagley is just JAG, probably better than Muscala but that's not saying much, and doesn't really matter anyway with this year being all about the tank. Kinda worried about the tank, tbh, with the recent show of competence plus Memphis committing firmly to losing the rest of this year.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#34 » by WallToWall » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:44 pm

Unless it’s a crazy offer, I don’t think Kuzma is being moved. I do think Gafford may be moved, because there may be a good market for him, given the way he’s been playing lately. We only need one backup big.
leswizards
Pro Prospect
And1: 212

Post#35 » by leswizards » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:44 pm

For those hoping that Bagley comes in and plays better than he did in Detroit: almost no players come in and play better for Wes than they did elsewhere. Almost all come in and play worse than they did elsewhere.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#36 » by gambitx777 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:51 pm

leswizards wrote:For those hoping that Bagley comes in and plays better than he did in Detroit: almost no players come in and play better for Wes than they did elsewhere. Almost all come in and play worse than they did elsewhere.
Oh that's just hateraid.
Plenty of hope that Bagley turns it around bigs sometimes develop late.

trast66
Rookie
And1: 614

Post#37 » by trast66 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:56 pm

leswizards wrote:For those hoping that Bagley comes in and plays better than he did in Detroit: almost no players come in and play better for Wes than they did elsewhere. Almost all come in and play worse than they did elsewhere.

I guess if anyone did it would be Gaff and Porzingis, maybe he is good with big men. A reach I know.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,972

Post#38 » by tontoz » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:09 pm

Per 36 Bagley is averaging 20/9 with a TS of 64% this season. I suspect his problem is defensive awareness but that's just a guess.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#39 » by nate33 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:15 pm

Kuzma played better for Wes.
Tyus is playing better for Wes.
Porzingis played better for Wes.
tleikheen
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,036

Post#40 » by tleikheen » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:27 pm

Kuzma played better for Wes.
Tyus is playing better for Wes.
Porzingis played better for Wes.

I dont like WUJ BUT the 1st thing he did with KP was get him out of the corner and put him on top of the key and ran the ball through him and guess what Boston does the same .
Kuzma's whole game opened up on the Wizards and now look if he's traded he'll get a good return.

Return to Washington Wizards