Landry Shamet is a Pro

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,387

Landry Shamet is a Pro 

Post#1 » by nate33 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:05 pm

Shamet doesn't have a thread yet, and I think he deserves one.

In his first 13 games as a Wizard, Shamet is averaging the following on a per 36 basis:
17.8 points
3.3 rebounds
3.2 assists
1.3 steals
1.0 turnovers
.370 3P%
.591 TS%
+8.7 net rating (despite playing only 9 minutes alongside Anthony "garbage time proxy" Gill)

Those are rock solid numbers. He's not a great player or anything, but so far, he has been very competent. He brings stuff to the table without taking anything away. He can shoot off the move; he can bring the ball up the court against pressure; he'll attack a closeout; and he is a pretty solid defender although a bit undersized to help in switches. I really like the low turnovers. He reminds me a bit of Hubert Davis back in the Michael Jordan era, or KCP from a few years ago. He's a pro. He does his job and doesn't try to do anything more.

He has easily been the best shooting guard on the roster - a little better than Kispert and a lot better than Poole. I actually think he has been the 4th best player on the team so far behind Kuzma, Deni and Gafford.

I recognize that his presence means less minutes to develop Davis so that might bother some people. Frankly, I wish his presence meant less minutes for Jordan Poole.
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Re: Landry Shamet is a Pro 

Post#2 » by Halcyon » Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:20 pm

I've liked him more than I thought I would, figured he would never play for us but he's been a pleasant surprise. I think he'll be a nice piece for a playoff team. He also unexpectedly dunks on people's heads.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,929

Post#3 » by tontoz » Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:16 pm

Yeah i like what ive seen from him. Plus he has put up a couple of nice posters. :nod:
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,924

Post#4 » by TGW » Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:47 pm

He's much better than the current starting 2 guard.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,543

Post#5 » by closg00 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:03 pm

Pro is appropriate, a stark contrast to Poo
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,946

Post#6 » by Frichuela » Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:50 pm

closg00 wrote:Pro is appropriate, a stark contrast to Poo

:lol: On point!

About Shamet, I agree he has been a pleasant surprise. He is also:

1) on a great contract, 3 years at about $11mn/year, with only this year guaranteed.
2) only two years older than Kispert and “Poo” at 26 years old.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,891

Post#7 » by payitforward » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:19 am

Landry Shamet is having one hXll of a month shooting the ball in January!

He's scored 55 points on 32 FGAs & 12 FTAs for an out-of-this-world TS% of 75.8%

Might a contender out there be interested in Landry?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#8 » by nate33 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:33 am

payitforward wrote:Landry Shamet is having one hXll of a month shooting the ball in January!

He's scored 55 points on 32 FGAs & 12 FTAs for an out-of-this-world TS% of 75.8%

Might a contender out there be interested in Landry?

In a nutshell, he is better than Jordan Poole at basically everything:
https://stathead.com/tiny/M48TW

It takes Poole 5.7 more possessions (3.7 more FGAs, 1.8 more FTAs, 1.1 more turnovers) to score just 2.5 more points.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,692

Post#9 » by penbeast0 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:27 am

TGW wrote:He's much better than the current starting 2 guard.

To be fair, every other warm body in the NBA including the one we cut loose to sign Diallo is currently better than Jordan Poole who has been the biggest negative in the NBA this year. And yes, he's been the solid pro that was his rep before he moved in the deal. But no, I don't think we can get anything significant (a reasonable 1st) for him.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,543

Post#10 » by closg00 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:41 pm

The question becomes, why can’t Landry’s and Pooles minutes be swapped given how terrible Poo is?
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,946

Post#11 » by Frichuela » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:32 pm

closg00 wrote:The question becomes, why can’t Landry’s and Pooles minutes be swapped given how terrible Poo is?

I guarantee a Pops, Spo, Carlyle or Thibs would do it, but we have Nepo Wes at the helm, who in almost 3 years of head coaching has shown zero cojones to do something of the sort…
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,159

Post#12 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:46 pm

He's been a pleasant surprise this season. His production is some of the best of his career given he's only playing 15 minutes a game. I thought he had been kind of washed by injuries, which he still seems prone to, but he's been good in most games he's played.

Definitely a piece we should look to get some value for at the deadline.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#13 » by nate33 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:14 pm

Landry Shamet:
"I have never felt closer with a group of guys than I do with these guys. I have made some of, beyond even the word "teammate", just best friends I have made in my NBA career this year"

Read on Twitter
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#14 » by nate33 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:17 pm

I don't think they'll pay him to come back, but it does speak to the strong culture they're trying to build here.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,449

Post#15 » by mhd » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:33 pm

nate33 wrote:I don't think they'll pay him to come back, but it does speak to the strong culture they're trying to build here.

Does next season have another one of those non-guarantee provisions in it? If so, maybe we keep him as potential trade bait to a team looking save cash for next-off-season?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#16 » by nate33 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:38 pm

mhd wrote:
nate33 wrote:I don't think they'll pay him to come back, but it does speak to the strong culture they're trying to build here.

Does next season have another one of those non-guarantee provisions in it? If so, maybe we keep him as potential trade bait to a team looking save cash for next-off-season?

Yes. Each remaining year is non-guaranteed. But I still don't think we will keep him. $10M in actual cap room is a better trade asset than $10M tied up to a 8th man caliber role player.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,449

Post#17 » by mhd » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:27 pm

nate33 wrote:
mhd wrote:

Yes. Each remaining year is non-guaranteed. But I still don't think we will keep him. $10M in actual cap room is a better trade asset than $10M tied up to a 8th man caliber role player.

Yeah, but I don't think we'll have any cap space this off-season because of the Bagley+Holmes expirings that we traded for unless I'm mistaken. The cap is projected to be 141 million. We are at 129 (with Shamet) and 118 (without). That doesn't account for the two first rounders. I doubt we try and sign anyone of consequence in the off-season anyways since we want to tank next year. We'll be a BOYD destination. Since Shamet is a total pro, I wouldn't mind keeping another shooter on the bench with surprising athleticism.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,192

Post#18 » by AFM » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:32 am

I been calling him Laundry Hamper in my head all year
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 901

Post#19 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:13 am

nate33 wrote:Landry Shamet:
"I have never felt closer with a group of guys than I do with these guys. I have made some of, beyond even the word "teammate", just best friends I have made in my NBA career this year"

Read on Twitter

After seeing this, I hope they bring him back. Why not! I thought he was good this year. Keep him instead of Johnny. That's fine with me.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#20 » by nate33 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:18 am

mhd wrote:
nate33 wrote:
mhd wrote:

Yeah, but I don't think we'll have any cap space this off-season because of the Bagley+Holmes expirings that we traded for unless I'm mistaken. The cap is projected to be 141 million. We are at 129 (with Shamet) and 118 (without). That doesn't account for the two first rounders. I doubt we try and sign anyone of consequence in the off-season anyways since we want to tank next year. We'll be a BOYD destination. Since Shamet is a total pro, I wouldn't mind keeping another shooter on the bench with surprising athleticism.

If you take that $118M, add $8M for a #4-ish pick and $2M for a #26 pick, that gets us to $128M, leaving $13M in cap room. And I'm saying that $13M in raw cap room is a better trade asset than Landry Shamet on a $10M contract. Some over-the-lux-tax team will give us a pick for absorbing a bad contract and getting them below the tax. Or maybe we use that space as a 3rd team absorbing salary in a bigger trade to make sure some other team doesn't exceed the 2nd Apron.

Return to Washington Wizards