Tracking Former Wizards 4.0

Moderators: montestewart, LyricalRico, nate33

WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Re: Tracking Former Wizards 4.0 

Post#21 » by WallToWall » Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:03 pm

payitforward wrote:The Lakers have extended a qualifying offer to Rui:

https://hoopshype.com/lists/2023-summer-league-rosters-whos-playing-where-this-year/

He's now a restricted free agent. It'll be interesting to see what other offers he gets.

Curious… had we kept Rui, would we have been able to still make all the moves we made, to date, in the off season?
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,951

Post#22 » by payitforward » Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:49 pm

I can't see why not.
I don't think any of this year's R2 picks were among the ones we got from the Lakers.

Had we kept Rui, I presume we'd have made him his qualifying offer of @$7.75m, as the Lakers did.

It's worth noting that the Lakers did not craft a new deal w/ Rui's agent -- the two sides obviously haven't found a number or length that satisfies both sides. Then again, it's early days....

Still, it'll be interesting to see whether they'll succeed. Or will Rui wind up somewhere else? My guess -- & my hope -- is that gets a nice deal from the Lakers & goes on to thrive there.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,740

Post#23 » by gambitx777 » Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:18 pm

I think Rui is gonna get his money and stop caring

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
tleikheen
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,036

Post#24 » by tleikheen » Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:30 pm

I think Rui is gonna get his money and stop caring

Hater ................. playing and starting alongside AD and Lebron and also in front of a large Japanese media market that gets to see and report on him and Shohei Ohtani and NOT Care ?????
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,250

Post#25 » by AFM » Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:51 pm

Gamby you a hater my G ........
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,740

Post#26 » by gambitx777 » Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:55 pm

I just see a little too much Ben Simmons in him and look that's not a knock on him as a person but if I'm about to pull out around 80 Millon for this guy then I'm gonna ask some questions.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,563

Post#27 » by closg00 » Sat Jul 1, 2023 2:06 pm

Troy Brown Jr to Minny
Read on Twitter
closg00
RealGM

Post#28 » by closg00 » Sat Jul 1, 2023 7:59 pm

Read on Twitter
dorianwrite
Rookie
And1: 273

Post#29 » by dorianwrite » Wed Jul 5, 2023 12:57 pm

closg00
RealGM

Post#30 » by closg00 » Wed Jul 5, 2023 3:54 pm

Gilbert is the Kanye of the NBA
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,965

Post#31 » by TGW » Wed Jul 5, 2023 4:13 pm

For one, this doesn't belong here. It belongs in the politics thread. Secondly, I read that glossary of terms or whatever, and it comes off as the LGBTQ is trying to police language, which is problematic. "Terms to avoid" lol...KMA. The only thing that's going to happen is this list is going to get longer and more controlling.

Anyway, this is western culture nonsense. This does nothing for LGBTQ advancement...it just annoys and angers people to not support their community.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,580

Post#32 » by nate33 » Wed Jul 5, 2023 4:23 pm

I think this article is a little over the top. Gilbert thinks there are double standards in the way the LGBTQ movement aggressively attempts to cancel people who use words or phrases that were permissible 3 years ago. Maybe he is wrong, or misinformed; and it's fine to criticize him for it. But this article goes out of its way to put words in Arenas' mouth. When Arenas says, "they're the most unfair group on the planet", it is clearly hyperbole. It's a little ridiculous to then argue that Gilbert Arenas literally believes that terrorists and genocidal maniacs are worse than the LGBTQ community. The actual title of the article is "NBA veteran Gilbert Arenas says LGBTQ community is more ‘unfair’ than the Taliban". Gilbert never said a single word about the Taliban.

What's the greater injustice? The things that Arenas actually said, or the outright slander in the article heading?
dorianwrite
Rookie

Post#33 » by dorianwrite » Wed Jul 5, 2023 4:46 pm

TGW wrote:

For one, this doesn't belong here. It belongs in the politics thread. Secondly, I read that glossary of terms or whatever, and it comes off as the LGBTQ is trying to police language, which is problematic. "Terms to avoid" lol...KMA. The only thing that's going to happen is this list is going to get longer and more controlling.

Anyway, this is western culture nonsense. This does nothing for LGBTQ advancement...it just annoys and angers people to not support their community.

First, the title of the thread is "Tracking Former Wizards." Gilbert Arenas is -- thankfully, I might add -- a former Wizard. This is what is currently going on in his life, so posting about it in this thread would be "tracking" what he is doing.

Second, recognizing and supporting the humanity of me and people in my community and those adjacent is not a political issue, but a social and moral one. Hence, no need for the politics thread, although I'm unsurprised that the right-wingers from the politics thread would take issue with my posting it.

Third, the only reason Arenas and other snowflake athletes are complaining is that they want to be able to call me, and people like me, a f*****. It's the same as the racists who want to call black people n****** and Latino people s****, the anti-semites who want to call Jews k****, and the misogynists who want to be able to call women c****. All you have to do is not use slurs and you're not going to get "cancelled."

As the late, great Paul Monette once wrote, "It doesn't take much to be politically correct. All you have to do is not be an a******."

[Note: I have provided my own lines of ***** before RealGM can do it for me.]
dorianwrite
Rookie

Post#34 » by dorianwrite » Wed Jul 5, 2023 4:55 pm

nate33 wrote:

I think this article is a little over the top. Gilbert thinks there are double standards in the way the LGBTQ movement aggressively attempts to cancel people who use words or phrases that were permissible 3 years ago. Maybe he is wrong, or misinformed; and it's fine to criticize him for it. But this article goes out of its way to put words in Arenas' mouth. When Arenas says, "they're the most unfair group on the planet", it is clearly hyperbole. It's a little ridiculous to then argue that Gilbert Arenas literally believes that terrorists and genocidal maniacs are worse than the LGBTQ community. The actual title of the article is "NBA veteran Gilbert Arenas says LGBTQ community is more ‘unfair’ than the Taliban". Gilbert never said a single word about the Taliban.

What's the greater injustice? The things that Arenas actually said, or the outright slander in the article heading?

Taking what Arenas said to its logical conclusion is not slander, but given your posts on the politics thread, I'm completely unsurprised that you'd think it so.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,580

Post#35 » by nate33 » Wed Jul 5, 2023 5:26 pm

dorianwrite wrote:
nate33 wrote:

Taking what Arenas said to its logical conclusion is not slander, but given your posts on the politics thread, I'm completely unsurprised that you'd think it so.

LOL

Did you actually listen to the interview? Arenas said nothing to "dehumanize" anyone in the LGBTQ community. It's hyperbole like this that makes the whole subject impossible to discuss. You are running around turning over stones hoping desperately to find something that offends you so you can react with righteous indignation.

Arenas comments were reasonable and thoughtful. Assuming one is supposed to be able to have a "dialog" on these issues, I'm not exactly sure how Arenas could have expressed his points better. Of course, this is his point. People like you do not want to have a dialog. You want all dissention from your narrative to be a cancelable offense. This is clear because you have no problem with the outrageous, slanderous headline.
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 893

Post#36 » by badinage » Wed Jul 5, 2023 5:29 pm

nate33 wrote:

Well said.
Silvie Lysandra
Starter
And1: 381

Post#37 » by Silvie Lysandra » Wed Jul 5, 2023 6:17 pm

nate33 wrote:

"“The LGBT, I think it’s the most unfair group walking the planet right now.”

These are Gilbert's words. It's pretty easy to ask "worse than who"? But if you agree with Gilbert's views about us, then suddenly criticizing him for his actual words becomes """unfair""".
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,445

Post#38 » by doclinkin » Wed Jul 5, 2023 6:45 pm

TGW wrote:
For one, this doesn't belong here. It belongs in the politics thread. Secondly, I read that glossary of terms or whatever, and it comes off as the LGBTQ is trying to police language, which is problematic.

LOL. The irony of complaining about policing language, by trying to police where how and if a discussion can be held. :clown:

I dunno. I'm not taking Gilbert's opinion on political issues as terribly relevant or important. Even in this case he has logical loopholes in what he is saying. A dude overheard him saying a buddy was acting like a f******, and understood it to mean he was saying his buddy was less than a man. Correctly because Gilbert said, yeah well that is exactly how I meant it. He meant to offend the guy by calling him a slur that refers to another group.

Its the same as saying like "oh you're trying to jew me on on the price" or whatever. It is offensive whether you say it to someone, or about someone else. You're not saying it as praise. It's not 'unfair' to be called out about it.

You use the f- word in that context because you know it is offensive. If that pisses people off, don't be surprised when you realize you have offended them. You meant it that way. It's kinda dickish to double down on it and defend your right to offend people. That doesn't require a dictionary or a playbook. Gilbert used the word to degrade his friend, even in a joking manner. A guy said, hey, don't use my existence as a term of insult. And if you do that in a public place, don't be startled if you get called on it. But yeah it's hyperbole to say 'the most unfair people on the planet'. It's not like he is giving a history lesson with a carefully considered response. He was led into a stupid conversation and jumped right in to the stupid with both feet.

The rest is just stirring up a hornet's nest to get page clicks. Both the video in the first place and the article referring to it. But that is the world nowadays: "oooh did you hear what she said?" What they used to call signifying. Stirring up trouble. Oh really, Gilbert said something thoughtless? That's news. When has he ever done that before. Good for him. He says people confronted him about it and made him think and he went to counseling over the issue.

---
EDIT : actually the thing I learned most from this was following links to find out that Tim Hardaway did work to promote support for gay marriage in his hometown. I recall him saying he didn't like gay people. To flip that on it's head and reverse course once he realized he messed up is interesting to me.

And the thing about Gilbert is that he no doubt would be willing to have that debate. Whatever he says today he will say something different tomorrow. Twice in the itnerview he says "we are still learning" this stuff. Even in the incident, he had a debate with the guy about it. He didn't just say 'well f-- you too f*****t". Go ahead, tell him where he's wrong. Have the public debate. You could see even halfway through the interview he understood his position was contradictory.

Anyway.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#39 » by payitforward » Wed Jul 5, 2023 6:50 pm

Look...

The problem isn't someone shooting his mouth off. The problem isn't anybody's "narrative" either. The problem is reality.

Racism, antisemitism, homophobia... these things lead directly to persecution, injustice, & mass murder. Not just directly but inevitably. & not just inevitably but intentionally.

Indeed, the theory we call racism was created to justify -- no: to promote! -- those practices. In fact, before the 19th century, there was no such thing as "racism" (again, I don't mean there was no such thing as "prejudice").

The theory was created & cast as a "science" by Arthur de Gobineau in his enormously influential 1600 page tome, "The Inequality of Human Races," which appeared in 1849 I believe.

To this theory, every human is part of a "race" -- one or another.
The races are all separate entities -- they developed separately.
You can never be anything but your race, & you can never not be your race.
Your "race" is who & what you are.

The "races" are ranked in order of excellence & capability.
The "Aryan" "race" -- no surprise! -- sits at the top of the ladder of development.

And, of course: "The Negro is the most humble and lags at the bottom of the scale. The animal character imprinted upon his brow marks his destiny from the moment of his conception."

Racism was quite a useful "science" to those in power at the time. For one thing, of course, it justified American slavery.

In fact, the leading US "racial scientists" of the time (Josiah Nott & Henry Hotze) were quick to promote de Gobineau's tome, see it translated into English, etc.

No surprise, the theory was also used to excuse -- no, not just "excuse" but give a noble purpose to -- the utter oppression visited on Africa from the last 1/3d of the 19th century well into the post-WWII era. Including mass murder. &, of course, not just Africa....

The world is still full of apologists for racism. Plenty of people think it has some basis in both science & fact.

Most of these folks think it's true in some less extreme version than e.g. that of de Gobineau -- as if an utterly baseless fabrication could be improved somehow by uttering it in a gentler tone.

Racism is not equivalent to "prejudice." Not even related to tell the truth.
For example, a racist can get along fine with black people. He just "knows" that they are "different" & members of an "inferior race."

Prejudices of all kinds, on the other hand, are inescapable human weaknesses. People often have difficulty getting past them.

Racism is a theory of the world. Of how things are actually made.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#40 » by payitforward » Fri Jul 7, 2023 7:50 pm

The Phoenix Suns were actually able trade Isaiah Todd.

They sent him to the Grizzlies & also included R1 pick swaps in 2024 & 2030.

In return, the Grizzlies gave the Suns three R2 picks -- a 2025 second-round pick they got from New Orleans plus their own R2 picks in 2028 and 2029.

Return to Washington Wizards