ImageImageImageImageImage

The Official Johnny Davis Thread!

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

GoneShammGone
Junior
And1: 168

Re: The Official Johnny Davis Thread! 

Post#641 » by GoneShammGone » Wed Feb 7, 2024 5:04 pm

mhd wrote:They see Davis every day in practice. If he was this amazing talent that needs to break out, they would play him.

Ultimately, I think it comes down to this. Sure, maybe WUJ is a moron (actually I doubt it---he wasn't a great coach, but he wasn't a moron either). But what about all the assistant coaches? Keefe has had five games to get Johnny meaningful minutes and has declined. Winger and Dawkins probably watch practice too. After a year and a half, Johnny is still not playing. I think that tells us something.

Don't get me wrong, I find it annoying that they haven't tried to force feed him more minutes just to see if it can spark something, and I'd like to see Johnny play 20 minutes a game for the rest of the season after the deadline, BUT I am not expecting much from him. It's looking more and more like the worst Wizards pick since Jan V. I hope he can prove me wrong.
Pistol King
Junior
And1: 459

Post#642 » by Pistol King » Wed Feb 7, 2024 5:40 pm

nate33 wrote:People love to blame player development when their guy doesn't pan out, but how many examples do we have of guys who improved dramatically after leaving the Wizards? Rui is the same player. Oubre is the same player. Troy Brown Jr. is worse. Garrison Matthews is worse. Jordan Goodwin is worse. Bonga is worse. Otto Porter Jr. was worse. Thomas Bryant worse. Nick Young. Javale McGee. I could go on and on.

Nate, wouldn't you actually view it as a glaring warning sign (development wise) that no ex- Wizards player in recent years has improved on his next stations in the NBA?

It leads to two options:

1. The Wizards FO is one of the worst in recent NBA history at evaluating talent.
2. The Wizards FO is bad, but there was/there is indeed also a problem with the way they develop their young players.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,558

Post#643 » by closg00 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 6:03 pm

nate33 wrote:
NatP4 wrote:Williams is a year older and has played 3700 minutes in the NBA compared to 600 for Davis.

My argument is simple: the wizards are an incompetent organization that has completely mishandled the development of Davis, and this is a miserable fanbase that has displaced frustration onto Davis. 99% of this fanbase would’ve picked Scoot Henderson, Jaden Ivey, Jalen Green, and Jonathan Kuminga, but you’ll never read ANY reflecting about that.

This board was dead set on selling the farm to move up and take Ivey in this draft, but all you see now is about Jalen Williams

I'm not sure how much longer you will be able to use Ivey as your whipping boy. Over the last 22 games, Ivey has averaged 22, 6 and 5 per 36 minutes on a not-awful TS% of .571. Over the last 10 games, his TS% is up to .583 and his 3-ball is .440.

And I don't see any evidence that Davis' failures are due to mishandled development. The same team, at the same time, did a fine job developing Deni Avdija, Corey Kispert and Daniel Gafford. And Coulibaly is on pace to play well over 2000 minutes as a 19-year-old rookie.

People love to blame player development when their guy doesn't pan out, but how many examples do we have of guys who improved dramatically after leaving the Wizards? Rui is the same player. Oubre is the same player. Troy Brown Jr. is worse. Garrison Matthews is worse. Jordan Goodwin is worse. Bonga is worse. Otto Porter Jr. was worse. Thomas Bryant worse. Nick Young. Javale McGee. I could go on and on.

On the other hand, many of the players we've obtained via trade/free agency have improved after coming here: Gafford, Bagley, Porzingis, Neto, Harrell, Kuzma, etc. About the only guy I can think of that was dramatically worse here was Dinwiddie.

Matthews & Goodwin worse!?! Both players are very low usage, same for Bryant, none of < these guys are worse now. I agree overall about blaming things on player development, that was the biggest gripe of Vesely apologists.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,756

Post#644 » by penbeast0 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 8:38 pm

mhd wrote:...

They see Davis every day in practice. If he was this amazing talent that needs to break out, they would play him.

And yet Jared Butler, who has been good in both G league and limited minutes, continues to get DNPs. I have no issue with not playing Davis, he hasn't earned it. I want to see more Jared Butler to see if he can bring what he's already doing into significant minutes that aren't garbage time at the NBA level.

NBA per 36 minutes: 3.1 reb, 8.7 assists, 2.8 to, 2.3 steals, 21.9 points on .689 ts%.
G league per 36 min: 3.3 reb, 8.1 assists, 2.8 to, 2.0 steals, 21.2 points on .580 ts%
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 4,006

Post#645 » by DCZards » Wed Feb 7, 2024 9:02 pm

penbeast0 wrote:

They see Davis every day in practice. If he was this amazing talent that needs to break out, they would play him.

And yet Jared Butler, who has been good in both G league and limited minutes, continues to get DNPs. I have no issue with not playing Davis, he hasn't earned it. I want to see more Jared Butler to see if he can bring what he's already doing into significant minutes that aren't garbage time at the NBA level.

NBA per 36 minutes: 3.1 reb, 8.7 assists, 2.8 to, 2.3 steals, 21.9 points on .689 ts%.
G league per 36 min: 3.3 reb, 8.1 assists, 2.8 to, 2.0 steals, 21.2 points on .580 ts%

Totally agree on Butler. He hasn’t even been in uniform the last 2-3 weeks

But somehow I expect he’ll be getting PT after the trade deadline.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,455

Post#646 » by mhd » Wed Feb 7, 2024 9:55 pm

DCZards wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:

Totally agree on Butler. He hasn’t even been in uniform the last 2-3 weeks

But somehow I expect he’ll be getting PT after the trade deadline.

Yeah, I expect Wright to be traded tomorrow opening up PT for Butler. Heck, someone may meet our asking price for Tyus as well
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,884

Post#647 » by Wizardspride » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:27 am

Was listening to Josh Robbins (the Athletic) and Johnny came up.

Apparently, various FOs around the league don't believe he's an NBA rotation player.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,980

Post#648 » by FAH1223 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:43 am

Wizardspride wrote:Was listening to Josh Robbins (the Athletic) and Johnny came up.

Apparently, various FOs around the league don't believe he's an NBA rotation player.

Where was Josh speaking at?
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,884

Post#649 » by Wizardspride » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:56 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:Was listening to Josh Robbins (the Athletic) and Johnny came up.

Where was Josh speaking at?

Starts at 11:15
https://youtu.be/sZVXkiU7pxQ?si=pltcB3Bhkvi4KJ7-
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,937

Post#650 » by payitforward » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:19 pm

Well, he isn't an NBA rotation player, at least not yet.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,229

Post#651 » by AFM » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:48 pm

He isn't a G league caliber rotation player either. His G league stats are brutal.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,455

Post#652 » by mhd » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:38 pm

Zach Lowe on the Wizards in his latest column:

"The Washington Wizards are almost a year into their long-awaited teardown, and their new front office did nice work nabbing a 2024 first-round pick for Daniel Gafford.

The respective returns for Bradley Beal and Kristaps Porzingis are underwhelming in comparison, but the Wizards were in trade jail with both deals last summer; Beal held a no-trade clause, Porzingis a dicey player option. Time will tell on Washington's decision to hang on to Kyle Kuzma and Tyus Jones, but those are probably no-harm, no-foul choices.

Washington also traded up for Bilal Coulibaly at No. 7 in the last draft, and he looks like a player. Corey Kispert is a nice rotation guy. Deni Avdija is leveling way up. He has 113 points over Washington's past four games on 40-of-65 shooting, and is playing with new confidence and physicality.

The real gems, of course, should be Washington's own picks in the next two drafts. But even as you look forward, remember that the impact of past decisions ripples into the present. Taking Davis at No. 10 in 2022 ahead of several good players -- Jalen Williams, Jalen Duren, Mark Williams and Tari Eason were among the following seven picks -- looks like a devastating whiff.

Davis has played more minutes for the Wizards' G League team than for the big club -- 676 to 606. Only 183 of those 606 NBA minutes have come this season. When Davis has appeared outside of garbage time, he just hasn't looked like an NBA player:

Davis stands in no-man's land -- in the corner but inside the arc -- and tries a tentative floater. He has hit only 39% overall -- and 29% on 3s -- in the G League.

Davis is better at basketball than almost any of us will ever be at anything, but the damage of that 2022 draft will linger"
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,361

Post#653 » by Kanyewest » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:23 pm

nate33 wrote:
NatP4 wrote:Williams is a year older and has played 3700 minutes in the NBA compared to 600 for Davis.

My argument is simple: the wizards are an incompetent organization that has completely mishandled the development of Davis, and this is a miserable fanbase that has displaced frustration onto Davis. 99% of this fanbase would’ve picked Scoot Henderson, Jaden Ivey, Jalen Green, and Jonathan Kuminga, but you’ll never read ANY reflecting about that.

This board was dead set on selling the farm to move up and take Ivey in this draft, but all you see now is about Jalen Williams

I'm not sure how much longer you will be able to use Ivey as your whipping boy. Over the last 22 games, Ivey has averaged 22, 6 and 5 per 36 minutes on a not-awful TS% of .571. Over the last 10 games, his TS% is up to .583 and his 3-ball is .440.

And I don't see any evidence that Davis' failures are due to mishandled development. The same team, at the same time, did a fine job developing Deni Avdija, Corey Kispert and Daniel Gafford. And Coulibaly is on pace to play well over 2000 minutes as a 19-year-old rookie.

People love to blame player development when their guy doesn't pan out, but how many examples do we have of guys who improved dramatically after leaving the Wizards? Rui is the same player. Oubre is the same player. Troy Brown Jr. is worse. Garrison Matthews is worse. Jordan Goodwin is worse. Bonga is worse. Otto Porter Jr. was worse. Thomas Bryant worse. Nick Young. Javale McGee. I could go on and on.

On the other hand, many of the players we've obtained via trade/free agency have improved after coming here: Gafford, Bagley, Porzingis, Neto, Harrell, Kuzma, etc. About the only guy I can think of that was dramatically worse here was Dinwiddie.

NOt sure I would blame player development necessarily but it seems like a lot of the guys you listed have played better elsewhere.

Oubre is better than he was with the Wizards- not by much though.

Garrison Mathews looks better statistically - currently has a TS% of 66 and has started a few games for the Hawks.

Rui- the jury is still out but he looks better, currently has a 61 TS% and coming off a 36 point game without LeBron.

Otto's body seemed to breakdown but did end up winning a championship with the Warriors. Mixed bag. I would say around the same - looked better next to guys like Steph but ultimately his body, not coaching failed him.

Young and McGee were about the same- functional role players- one could argue that they played even better given they contributed to playoff teams. McGee became better but perhaps with maturity.

Small sample size but if anything Goodwin looked alright with the Grizzlies. Slightly worse with the Suns though.

Mo Wagner looks better. Gary Payton II looks better. Troy Brown Jr. looks better (finally added a 3 point shot, but not by much).
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,573

Post#654 » by nate33 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:01 pm

Kanyewest wrote:Oubre is better than he was with the Wizards- not by much though.

Garrison Mathews looks better statistically - currently has a TS% of 66 and has started a few games for the Hawks.

Rui- the jury is still out but he looks better, currently has a 61 TS% and coming off a 36 point game without LeBron.

Otto's body seemed to breakdown but did end up winning a championship with the Warriors. Mixed bag. I would say around the same - looked better next to guys like Steph but ultimately his body, not coaching failed him.

Young and McGee were about the same- functional role players- one could argue that they played even better given they contributed to playoff teams. McGee became better but perhaps with maturity.

Small sample size but if anything Goodwin looked alright with the Grizzlies. Slightly worse with the Suns though.

Mo Wagner looks better. Gary Payton II looks better. Troy Brown Jr. looks better (finally added a 3 point shot, but not by much).

Oubre is slightly better, but not by any significant degree. He is better in the sense that 25 year olds tend to be better than 22 year olds, but that's about it. His WS/48 average over his last 5 years is actually a bit worse than it was in his 3rd year in DC (though other metrics show a small improvement after leaving).

In the 3 years Matthews has been gone, his TS% is worse, his BPM is worse, his WS/48 is worse and his PER is the same. Even in the very small sample size in Atlanta, all of his advanced stats are down except his TS%.

Rui's WS/48 is slightly better in LA, but his PER and BPM are worse. Overall, there's really no difference in his production. His efficiency is a bit better since other players are absorbing more defensive attention, but his per possession scoring and rebounding are down. (I'm comparing his last full year here to his current year in LA.)

Otto's first few games in Chicago looked like his last games here. But immediately after that, the injuries set in and he was never close to the same player. Just because he happened to join a very talented contending team and won a title as a bench role player doesn't mean he himself was a better player.

Young and McGee were pretty much useless for the next 5 years after departure. Young never did anything. McGee finally figured out how to play within himself and be a useful role player about 10 years after leaving DC. I hardly consider that a failure in player development.

Wagner is better. But he improved a great deal while he was here too (relative to his first year in LA). I don't think you can argue that we were holding him back. He only played 90 games with us and he showed steady improvement throughout. He just continued to improve after leaving, as young players often do.

I maintain my position. You can't really look at anyone who has left the Wizards and credibly state that the Wizards lousy player development was holding them back. Just about everyone we let go we let go because we concluded that they were "just a guy" and not worth keeping, and they turned out to be exactly that. Perhaps the lone exception is Wagner. But there, I'd say our error was in letting him walk, not in the manner that we developed him.
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#655 » by Kanyewest » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:35 pm

nate33 wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:Oubre is better than he was with the Wizards- not by much though.

Oubre is slightly better, but not by any significant degree. He is better in the sense that 25 year olds tend to be better than 22 year olds, but that's about it. His WS/48 average over his last 5 years is actually a bit worse than it was in his 3rd year in DC (though other metrics show a small improvement after leaving).

In the 3 years Matthews has been gone, his TS% is worse, his BPM is worse, his WS/48 is worse and his PER is the same. Even in the very small sample size in Atlanta, all of his advanced stats are down except his TS%.

Rui's WS/48 is slightly better in LA, but his PER and BPM are worse. Overall, there's really no difference in his production. His efficiency is a bit better since other players are absorbing more defensive attention, but his per possession scoring and rebounding are down. (I'm comparing his last full year here to his current year in LA.)

Otto's first few games in Chicago looked like his last games here. But immediately after that, the injuries set in and he was never close to the same player. Just because he happened to join a very talented contending team and won a title as a bench role player doesn't mean he himself was a better player.

Young and McGee were pretty much useless for the next 5 years after departure. Young never did anything. McGee finally figured out how to play within himself and be a useful role player about 10 years after leaving DC. I hardly consider that a failure in player development.

Wagner is better. But he improved a great deal while he was here too (relative to his first year in LA). I don't think you can argue that we were holding him back. He only played 90 games with us and he showed steady improvement throughout. He just continued to improve after leaving, as young players often do.

I maintain my position. You can't really look at anyone who has left the Wizards and credibly state that the Wizards lousy player development was holding them back. Just about everyone we let go we let go because we concluded that they were "just a guy" and not worth keeping, and they turned out to be exactly that. Perhaps the lone exception is Wagner. But there, I'd say our error was in letting him walk, not in the manner that we developed him.

Otto started a few games for the Warriors including 3 NBA Finals games. Most notably games 4-6 on the Warriors when they were down 2-1. Granted his function was as a bench player for those games but nonetheless, I don't think the Warriors win without Otto Porter- they seemed to have missed his presence, even though re-signing him would have been a lost cause. Anyways, Otto developed just fine here.

Garrison Matthews did just fine- signed a nice extension with the Rockets. Not sure I would take his BPM seriously with either the Hawks or Rockets. The fact that he's in the league and starting a few games though means he's doing better than he was with the Wizards who wouldn't even play him during a few playoff games.

Nick Young was a key contributor for the Clippers when they went on to beat the Grizzlies in game 7 in 2012, where Gilbert Arenas was apart of the Grizzlies's team. Nick Young should receive extra credit given that Doc Rivers was the coach during that Game 7, who almost blew a 3-1 lead. The Clippers went on to lose the Grizzlies in the following season without Nick Young in 6 games. While Nick Young was a decent enough role player, certainly better than guys like Gary Neal, Alan Henderson, Jordan Crawford but obviously the Wizards had someone like Beal in place.

Yup Javale McGee's production only became truly better a few years later. But perhaps some coach could have reached him sooner - I believe McGee was doing his best with Eddie Jordan before he was fired. Ultimately perhaps time was the biggest factor and getting Nene for McGee turned out better for the Wizards- although maybe coaching under Kerr played a role along with playing with vets like Curry, Draymond, and David West. Even Chris Paul was impressed with McGee's hustle.

Oubre may not be statistically that much better but honestly he's exceeded my expectations since leaving the Wizards. It was always going to be difficult to develop Oubre but odd for the Wizards to target and trade up for Oubre given that he was a bit of a project.

The jury is still out for Rui- looks like he's in a better situation.

You are right that it may not be any lack of coaching development but most likely it's just a void of talent at the top. IE someone like Rui can succeed with guys like LeBron/Davis (Troy brown did better playing alongside the Lakers as well). But I agree with your assessment that it may not be fault of the Wizards coaching but probably moreso to do with the front office.
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#656 » by Kanyewest » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:48 pm

Although Jordan Poole's development has been worse here - might be a Jordan Poole internal problem though.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,937

Post#657 » by payitforward » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:00 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
nate33 wrote:...People love to blame player development when their guy doesn't pan out, but how many examples do we have of guys who improved dramatically after leaving the Wizards? Rui is the same player. Oubre is the same player. Troy Brown Jr. is worse. Garrison Matthews is worse. Jordan Goodwin is worse. Bonga is worse. Otto Porter Jr. was worse. Thomas Bryant worse. Nick Young. Javale McGee. I could go on and on.

NOt sure I would blame player development necessarily but it seems like a lot of the guys you listed have played better elsewhere.

No on pretty much all the above, IMO. By & large, these are all marginal players who were neither better nor worse to speak of in one uniform vs. another.

The only real exception is Rui, who has improved meaningfully this year. Not saying he's great, or even anything particularly special, but there's no doubt that he's better. A nice thing to see. The improvement is entirely in his shooting. His usage hasn't changed much, but both his 2pt% & 3pt% are up. It's great to see this.

Goodwin, a player I like & wish we'd kept, has only played 2 games in a memphis uni.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#658 » by Kanyewest » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:47 pm

payitforward wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:
nate33 wrote:...People love to blame player development when their guy doesn't pan out, but how many examples do we have of guys who improved dramatically after leaving the Wizards? Rui is the same player. Oubre is the same player. Troy Brown Jr. is worse. Garrison Matthews is worse. Jordan Goodwin is worse. Bonga is worse. Otto Porter Jr. was worse. Thomas Bryant worse. Nick Young. Javale McGee. I could go on and on.

No on pretty much all the above, IMO. By & large, these are all marginal players who were neither better nor worse to speak of in one uniform vs. another.

The only real exception is Rui, who has improved meaningfully this year. Not saying he's great, or even anything particularly special, but there's no doubt that he's better. A nice thing to see. The improvement is entirely in his shooting. His usage hasn't changed much, but both his 2pt% & 3pt% are up. It's great to see this.

Goodwin, a player I like & wish we'd kept, has only played 2 games in a memphis uni.

Random note, not all of their improvement is significant. But find it funny that a lot of former Wizards role players have had success with the Warriors- Livingston, Gary Payton II, Otto Porter, Javale McGee, Nick Young... and Chris Paul :D
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,435

Post#659 » by doclinkin » Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:29 pm

nate33 wrote:I maintain my position. You can't really look at anyone who has left the Wizards and credibly state that the Wizards lousy player development was holding them back. Just about everyone we let go we let go because we concluded that they were "just a guy" and not worth keeping, and they turned out to be exactly that. Perhaps the lone exception is Wagner. But there, I'd say our error was in letting him walk, not in the manner that we developed him.

I think the real question is if we can become a team that is notably GOOD at developing players. I think those teams are few. What squads in the league can take a guy from another team and compel better stats from them? A few are player dependent: teams that have LeBJ or the prior version of Chris Paul often see an uptick in the stats of peripheral players. I think you could argue for anyone playing with the combo of Stef and Dray. Joker of course.

Otherwise what teams notably reclaim other team's castoffs and forge them into sterling candidates. What coaches?

Miami.
Thom Thibodeaux on defense wherever he goes.
The Celtics under Brad Stevens' direction.

Who else? Can't really argue for the Spurs currently.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,403

Post#660 » by NatP4 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:10 pm

What is the actual situation with Davis currently? Why isn’t he playing in the G-league even? There has to be a lot more going on here. He basically hasn’t even played all year at either level. It’s bizarre.

You would have to be delusional to not give your 10th overall pick any opportunities. Some ongoing personal situation must be going on?

He had some genuinely good games in the NBA near the end of last year and looked much improved in the summer league and preseason. From a basketball perspective, there’s zero explanation for the lack of playing time this year on a 9 win team.

Return to Washington Wizards