Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,884

Re: Corey Kispert, Wizards Sniper. 

Post#21 » by Wizardspride » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:55 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#22 » by tontoz » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:38 pm

I don't follow college ball so I don't know much about him. However watching some vids I am a bit concerned about his inability to do much off the dribble. His shot is a little odd, low release and a little hunched over so he can't really shoot a pull up j.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
likwitdesi
Starter
And1: 60

Post#23 » by likwitdesi » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:13 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
queridiculo wrote:Lukewarm on Kispert.

I don't expect him to rebound or guard anybody on this level, his confidence in his scoring better stay up when he's being taken advantage of on the other end time and time again.

Once again the Wizards picked offensive potential over anything that consistently leads to winning basketball.

I disagree. I don't think he's going to be a stopper but I don't think he's going to be Bertans-like i.e. UNPLAYABLE.

I think Kispert was BPA. He's also a top 10 pick in YODA.

Didn't he test as a sneaky good athlete? With his BBIQ, maybe he can be a solid team defender
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,407

Post#24 » by NatP4 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:18 pm

44% from 3 on 6.5 attempts per game, but he also shot over 60% on 2s. People put Kispert into a box as a shooter, but he was the best scorer in college basketball with all kinds of extra tools that no one talks about. He plays with top shelf effort and is always in the right place. Really solid defender actually, underrated athlete.

I never thought he would be there at 15, but it’s a really smart pick. He will do nothing but help the team he’s on. When the wizards go to lineups with Beal-KCP-Kispert-Bertans-Gafford, they will dominate teams.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,558

Post#25 » by closg00 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:28 pm

NatP4 wrote:44% from 3 on 6.5 attempts per game, but he also shot over 60% on 2s. People put Kispert into a box as a shooter, but he was the best scorer in college basketball with all kinds of extra tools that no one talks about. He plays with top shelf effort and is always in the right place. Really solid defender actually, underrated athlete.

I never thought he would be there at 15, but it’s a really smart pick. He will do nothing but help the team he’s on. When the wizards go to lineups with Beal-KCP-Kispert-Bertans-Gafford, they will dominate teams.

Now it's up to coach Wes to put-together the right offense since Kispert/Bertans are not shot creators.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,361

Post#26 » by Kanyewest » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:10 pm

I'm curious how Kispert did against better competition this season vs. worse competition. I wasn't impressed what he did in the NCAA tournament from what I saw - perhaps Baylor was just a really bad matchup for the Zags.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,660

Post#27 » by 80sballboy » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:24 pm

Kanyewest wrote:I'm curious how Kispert did against better competition this season vs. worse competition. I wasn't impressed what he did in the NCAA tournament from what I saw - perhaps Baylor was just a really bad matchup for the Zags.

I think it's possible that he and the Zags were spent after that overtime win over UCLA.

Looking back. He didn't have a great tournament shooting-wise. Did have 25 against Auburn and 23 against Kansas in the early part of the season. He also had 32 against Virginia on 11 of 15 shooting.

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/4280151/type/mens-college-basketball
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,074

Post#28 » by queridiculo » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:25 pm

tontoz wrote:I don't follow college ball so I don't know much about him. However watching some vids I am a bit concerned about his inability to do much off the dribble. His shot is a little odd, low release and a little hunched over so he can't really shoot a pull up j.

He does understand how to manipulate defenders on the close out, so if his shot translates to the next level I don't see him having much trouble getting to the basket.

He's pretty quick diagnosing where the rotations are coming from and does a great job moving the ball when he's met with a help defender, so I am not really all that worried.

He's also pretty crafty using angles to his advantage, I could see him excelling in the pros where there is typically a whole lot more space to operate.

Not sharing the concerns about his jumper either, his shot comes out quickly and typically just before he reaches the apex of his jump.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#29 » by Ruzious » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:38 pm

I don't expect him to rebound or guard anybody on this level, his confidence in his scoring better stay up when he's being taken advantage of on the other end time and time again.

Once again the Wizards picked offensive potential over anything that consistently leads to winning basketball.

I think he's worth the 15th pick but... looking at players who can do what he can do, how much better is he really than Weiskamp - who went 41st? Wouldn't it have been smarter to trade down for Weiskamp and get other picks?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,074

Post#30 » by queridiculo » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:46 pm

Ruzious wrote:

I think he's worth the 15th pick but... looking at players who can do what he can do, how much better is he really than Weiskamp - who went 41st? Wouldn't it have been smarter to trade down for Weiskamp and get other picks?

Sheppard seems convinced that first and foremost you have to be able score at the NBA level to win games.

He's got an almost unshakable conviction that philosophically that's the way to go and that appears to inform most of his moves since he's taken over.

Unfortunately he's stuck in that NBA groupthink that's currently in full effect and is losing sight of the fact that sustained success still comes from focusing on the things you can control night in and night out.

The Bucks championship run this year and the Heat's finals run last year should have been a clear reminder that once the real bullets start flying all that gimmicky stuff goes out of the Window.

Possessions matter contrary to the regular season approach that has taken hold in this league recently.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,980

Post#31 » by FAH1223 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:21 pm

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,574

Post#32 » by nate33 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:21 pm

likwitdesi wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:

I disagree. I don't think he's going to be a stopper but I don't think he's going to be Bertans-like i.e. UNPLAYABLE.

I think Kispert was BPA. He's also a top 10 pick in YODA.

Didn't he test as a sneaky good athlete? With his BBIQ, maybe he can be a solid team defender

Yes. Very good lane agility and sprint scores IIRC.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,738

Post#33 » by gambitx777 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:10 am

Does anyone agree with my Caron Butler comparison?

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
Yunsen
Senior
And1: 263

Post#34 » by Yunsen » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:58 am

Kispert’s athleticism gets underrated because he has a thick frame. The bigger problem is he doesn’t have great reflexes on defense. He will get blown by by quicker guards and also get backdoored for easy lay ups every now and then.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 918

Post#35 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:56 pm

"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#36 » by prime1time » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:05 pm

This comment strikes me as battered Wizard fan syndrome. Let's break it down. Defensively, we will hide Kispert just like the Warriors do with Steph, the Hawks do with Trae, the 76ers do with Seth, the Bucks do with Forbes, the Heat do with Robinson and the Nets do with Harris. Now with that being said, reports are that he is a solid help defender. Now he will be a weakness in switches, but that's just where basketball is. So are all those guys that I listed. Shooting is worth it, which takes me to the second point you made, "offensive potential." This isn't about potential with Kispert. From Day 1 he will be one of the best shooters in the game, which leads to the third point "winning basketball." The Wizards were one of the worst shooting teams in the league last year. This is in a league where shooting is the most important factor in winning a championship. Last year we were the worst 3-point shooting team in the playoffs. Is that winning basketball? Ultimately, I'm going to ask the same question I ask every year. Who should we have picked instead. If you don't like the pick fine. Make the argument for someone else.
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#37 » by prime1time » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:51 pm

gambitx777 wrote:Does anyone agree with my Caron Butler comparison?

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app

I can see it, but Kispert's on a whole other level when it comes to 3-point shooting. But I think your instincts are smart. Kispert's offensive game inside the 3-point line is vastly underrated. I did a write up about him in the draft thread and I'll post it here.
Kispert will be the steal of the draft. I thought he was just a shooter, boy was I wrong. His offensive game is so developed. He is plug and play from day 1. Ability to attack the hoop, finish with both hands, two dribble pull-ups and more all while staying under control. I want better wing defense, but I'm not passing on Kispert. In fact, I'd trade up for him. When you talk about lineup construction, having him on the floor with Bertans starts to give us major floor spacing. I'm fine with other players, but Kispert would be a homerun. As his game develops and he improves his ball handling, he'll be even tougher to guard. Defensively teams will go at him but his offensive ability outweighs that IMO. The fg% he puts up tells the real story about his offense. This is a guy who shot 6.5 3's a game at 44%, yet his fg% is almost 53%. On two-point fg's he shot a blistering 62.8% from the field. Teams are going to come in with the game plan of running him off the 3-point line, and he is going to destroy them. The Wizards need to trade up for Kispert.

Now that he's actually on our team I'm going to do a much deeper dive but I already know what I'm going to find tbh. Because of Kispert's elite shooting defenders will have to take away his airspace. As he develops counters to the tight defense, he has the potential to transition away from being just a shooter and to being a scorer. How about this for a comparison, Chris Mullin. Now I don't know if Kispert can reach the same heights that Mullin did - Mullin had a year where he averaged 7.3 free throw attempts - but that's the direction he needs to go in. Compare Kispert to JJ Reddick for example.
;ab_channel=ForEmily4
How many times was Reddick actually putting the ball on the floor and beating his man? Not often. In his last year at Duke JJ shot 52% from 2. In his last year at Virginia Joe Harris shot 48% from 2. Kispert will give you the same thing Reddick and Harris give you. He'll run off of screens. But compared to those guys he's vastly more comfortable at operating inside the 3-point line. Now is he going to come in on day one and create offense? No. But this is the direction that Kispert needs to move in. Creating offense of the bounce. To the degree that he can though, he's going to be an offensive force,
;ab_channel=Swish
This is from his junior year. Look at this move at 4:34. Again at 5:08, the defender takes away the 3 (something you have to do) and he gets a layup. 5:13 again. 5:47 pump fake to the floater. 6:31, 6:50 dribble handoff into a pull-up jumper, 7:40 2 dribbles into a floater (that looks like Trae Young no?), 7:53 left-hand dribble to the left-hand finish, 8:37 he uses the screen dribbles into a jump stop and then a floater. I like 8:45 because this is how defenses will play Kispert in the NBA especially off of rotations (I.e. Beal is attacking and the defender helps off) look at him calmly just drive for a layup. And perhaps the best thing about Kispert is that he got draft feedback after his junior year, went back to school and improved his game. He got even more comfortable operating inside the 3-point line and he also expanded his range.
;t=78s&ab_channel=Swish
The dribble drive off the switch at 00:13, 2 dribble pull-up 00:55 (he will get this all the time in the NBA), 1:30 Eurostep into a same foot same hand layup, 2:46 easy left hand drive, 3:07 late close but look at his lateral quickness as he takes the charge (he'll get beat in the NBA but he's much more athletic than people are giving him credit for. The only players that will routinely give him trouble are the players that give everyone trouble), 3:17 look at the range (but more so look at his bench, they all knew that he could knock this down), Look at the range 2x 3:30. 3:37 - this is not going to be stopped in the NBA, if you're the defender you're thinking about taking away the 3, then he just blows by you for the layup. 6:04 great backdoor cut.

7:09 this shows you why he's going to destroy NBA defenses. He takes the dribble handoff and the defender goes under the screen. Kispert could pull-up for the 3 and it would be a high percentage shot but he doesn't, instead, he changes direction and goes backward again he could pull-up right here and it could be a high percentage shot. But instead, he goes inside the 3-point line. Once inside the 3-point line, he has so many ways to score. He has a floater, he has a pull-up jumper, he can finish with both hands at the hoop (imagine if he's doing this with a lob threat how do you defend this without helping off another player???) and look at the shot he eventually gets. Just great/beautiful basketball. This is not the offensive skillset of a shooter, this is the offensive skillset of a scorer. Just to build off of this play, he look completely comfortable with the ball in his hand. In 2 to 3 years, he's going to run the same PnR for the Wizards but 35 feet from the hoop. This is why players like Steph/Lillard/Young are so unstoppable. With spacing how do you slow down this PnR. In addition, the other classical shooters aren't doing this.

7:45, just look at the move. He goes behind the back never looks down and then finishes with an easy floater. 9:12 he will be able to do this routinely in the NBA. The defender plays close because he's scared of the 3, Kispert jabs and then gets a layup. 9:18 same thing again, defender plays tight he attacks the hoop for an easy layup. I find it fascinating that people describe Kispert as solely being a shooter when in reality he's closer to being a scorer. I think it's going to be tough to keep on Kispert out of the starting lineup this season. Given his ability to turn plays where defenses run him off the three-point line into positive possessions he is way more valuable than Bertans or Matthews (how many times did we see them force contested shots?). This is the best draft pick we've made since Bradley Beal.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,937

Post#38 » by payitforward » Sun Aug 1, 2021 12:07 am

Wow, prime1time -- what a great deep dive on Kispert. Well done indeed! Kudos to you.

& above all... may he be as good as you grade him! Or just close to as good!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
jangles86
Starter
And1: 940

Post#39 » by jangles86 » Sun Aug 1, 2021 12:24 am

long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#40 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sun Aug 1, 2021 12:24 am

I’m excited about Kiss-Burt.

His ability to square and shoot with a quick release jumper will play. He’ll at least work hard on the defensive end. Really good pick at 15.
In Rizzo we trust

Return to Washington Wizards