Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,287

Re: 2024 Draft Thread - Part II 

Post#421 » by AFM » Fri May 17, 2024 4:10 pm

nate33 wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:At #26 I'd be interested in several of the potential wings who could be available there... Kyshawn George, Dadiet, Djurisic, Flowers, Karaban.

But, a guy I have my eye increasingly on is 19 yr old PF Izan Almansa from Spain. Measured 6-9 with a 7-1 wingspan at the combine. He is a multi-skilled, high IQ, high motor player and high level rebounder. He is the type of player we have needed and have lacked seemingly forever.
Spoiler:
The Ringer:

Almansa was considered a lottery pick prior to his underwhelming G League season.

Accomplished international big who projects as a versatile offensive hub and prolific rebounder.

SHADES OF: Kevin Love

Feel for the Game
Rebounding
PLUSES
Strong elbow and post playmaker with the ability to handle double-teams and locate shooters and cutters. His NBA team could use him in dribble handoffs since he can also dribble to the basket or turn his back into post-ups.

Beautiful post scorer who moves with purpose. He loves using spin moves straight into hook shots, and it works no matter the angle or the defensive contest. Sometimes, he’ll even do it with his left hand.

Fundamental screener and eager roller with amazing hands. Though he’s capable of dunking over defenders, he primarily finishes through length and contact using his soft touch. He’s patient and uses head and ball fakes to let defenders fly by when needed.

A potential short-roll menace if paired with the right point guard. He’s a strong dribbler and passer, and he also has a push floater that could punish defenses that leave him open. If his shot develops, his open-floor ballhandling would open up his game even more.

Elite rebounder on both ends with a nose for the ball. He’s like a magnet.

High-effort defender with the ability to play in different schemes. He’s nimble enough to switch or blitz.

MINUSES
Subpar free throw shooter and stiff from 3. At this stage, his shooting development is purely hypothetical. But how could someone with his soft touch not end up learning how to shoot 3s?

As a drop-coverage big man on defense, he’s more of a positional defender than an imposing shot blocker. And on the perimeter, he’s solid but not a stopper.

NBA Draft Room:

Draft Notes
Almansa is an incredibly productive and efficient player who might not be the flashiest player around but really gets it done on the court.

He’s an interior focused big man who loves to mix it up in the paint, plays with a lot of energy and effort and contributes in all aspects of the game.

Almansa has great hands, catching everything thrown his way and doing a great job of securing rebounds. He also has a really good feel for cutting and getting himself into position for layups, post scoring and positioning for rebounds. Has a natural feel for the game.

Moves very well up and down the court and is an overall plus athlete with agility, coordination and bounce.

Expanding his shooting range will be key to his success at the NBA level.

Love is a TERRIBLE Comp.
To me, he screams Horford. Undersized 4/5 with High IQ, Effort, passing and questionable shot projection.

According to the video, the guy can't shoot or defend. How in the world would Horford be a comp? Horford was an elite defender.

He sounds to me like a slightly taller Kenneth Faried, or maybe a Xavier Tillman.

Lookin more like Xavier Cooks
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,985

Post#422 » by TGW » Fri May 17, 2024 4:22 pm

Re: Risacher. I think if he's there at #2, he's the pick. He has the physical profile (minus his average wingspan) that Dawkins likes. I also think Dawkins respects that French league and how they develop young players. Him and Sarr are looking like the consensus 1/2 in the draft.

He's not the guy I want, but I think he's on top of the Wizards draft board.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
The Consiglieri
Starter
And1: 554

Post#423 » by The Consiglieri » Fri May 17, 2024 4:24 pm

DCZards wrote:
The Consiglieri wrote:
AFM wrote:You can't even say "there's no generational talent in this draft", we really don't know. There could be a Jokic in the 2nd round. What is totally fair to say is that there's no OBVIOUS generational talent, like a Wemby or a Lebron.

That's what's meant. When scouts and analytics people look at this, they don't see transformative players. It doesn't mean there aren't any. We can't know the future. It does heavily suggest both the high end talent is either non-existent, or very shallow, and that the ability to identify said talent is gonna be as much about luck as anything, and that's if its even there. I'm sure there are gonna be special players in this draft, but #1 options with superstar ability, first ballot HOF, multi champion studs? I don't see it, and I think its basically going to come in two ways:
1. Blind randomness.
2. Somebody doing what Dat has referenced in talking about it, and what's happened with ANT, some player with a reasonably high ceiling, hitting a grand slam on that ceiling through work rate and will (say Butler on Miami).

It's possible, but most likely, what I see happening is a ceiling result for a complimentary player. A guy becomes a very, very good 2nd or 3rd option...but how do we find them? Luck.

Truth be told...a lot of drafts don't have a first ballot HOF or multi champion studs. So that's not unusual.

When scouts and GM judge players in this draft (and most drafts) they are largely looking at 18, 19 and 20 year olds. I can't imagine there being a lot of reliable "analytics" for players that young. So, regardless of what you've heard about this draft, there is really no way of telling for sure whether the 2024 draft will be a good, bad or average draft. It would take a crystal ball to know that.

Right now, the "bad draft" narrative is out there but we'll obviously have to wait and see. I'm willing to bet that there will be 2 or 3 players in this draft who will perform beyond people's wildest expectations. Who knows--maybe even a Giannis or a Joker. Clearly they weren't expected to be generational talents--but they are.

Some times I think this is about definitions and just how people interpret what things mean. Is this guaranteed to be a bad draft? No. Is this almost certainly one of the worst drafts we've seen in a long time? Yes. Are the consequences of that harsh for teams that happen to be bad right now, absolutely. I don't have a crystal ball that this is gonna be bad, but if there is an absolute consensus from both scouts and analytics people that there's nothing that's really jumping off the page here, that should be alarming as ----. I find it bizarre how much people quibble with this. In 2000 they said the draft was crap, it was. In 2001 it was pretty disappointing, it was, in 2013 it was supposed to be crap, it was, in 2020 it was viewed as a dip, it was. Do they get ones wrong? Sort of, but I've been watching NBA drafts since the late eighties and can't recally any drafts called bad, that actually ended up great or good, none. I can recall ones where they really liked the elite prospects and they were more middling than elite, that definitely happens, but the bad ones? They were almost always exactly what was expected and usually worse. I can't really recall distinct exceptions to any of that.

I get the sense that people just don't want it to be true that we got the 2nd pick in a crappy class, and want to pretend its fine. It isn't. It sucks. Could we get another Deni, or even a miracle like Giannis? Sure. Is it likely or even a minor but decent possibility (lets say 5-15%), NO. There's so much denialism about this, or maybe it's just a difference of interpretation. I'm not denying that's its possible that we could get a diamond in the rough here, its always possible, but is it likely, or even a remotely reasonable expectation. It is not. Not close.

But honestly I think this is a quibble. I think some of you guys don't like the certainty sound that comes with this take, and I will completely concede that their could be a couple of all stars and probably are, and that it wont all be duds or even mostly duds at the top, there probably will be some reasonable floor options, maybe a hit or two but what makes it worse is that typically at the top of the draft you will see some clear difference making prospects who have a reasonable chance, 35-65% of turning into a good or great player, this draft doesn't have anyone like that, not one. There's no Holmgren, Banchero, no Ant, no Ja Morant, nobody remotely like that. That's the problem. This draft may have a guy that hits those heights, but in most drafts, its fairly reasonable to get a coin toss chance view of smoking one out in the 1, 2 or 3 slot etc, this one? No chance. That's the problem. And what do you do with that reality is the other problem? Swing for the fences? Which I want? The Bleave in Wizards podcast guys are the opposite, just wanting someone useful, a startable option or high end bench player, someone with a genuine floor but I see no point in that. We aren't transforming into a winner in 3-4 years if we draft like we did circa 2018-2022 under Shepard, we have to aim higher, we miss, it helps the tank, we hit, it does wonders. The one caveat, and I admit its a caveat, is the value of hitting on poor mans halliburton's who are nice trade assets. You don't get a home run prospect, but you do get a guy a lot of playoff teams and contenders would like as a piece for a playoff run? Well, that would justify aiming a bit more for a floor/ceiling blend.

Its interesting. I'm guessing we're not far off, but I do think people are quibbling either because they don't like the reality of how crap this draft is perceived, and don't appreciate that I speak with a seeming certainty about something that's inherently unknown, I kinda get both sides of that argument, but I also can point to the history of the last 36 or 37 drafts I've seen, and how consistently the drafts they didn't like, were indeed, quite disappointing, especially at the top.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,573

Post#424 » by closg00 » Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

Tidjane Salaun has me intrigued, probably too-much of a swing at 2.....
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 4,035

Post#425 » by DCZards » Fri May 17, 2024 4:51 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:I gotta admit, part of my interest in Castle is how good of a fit IMO he would be next to Poole. All of Castles strengths address all of Poole's weak spots... Size, defense, effort,/hustle, IQ... I think I could really like a Poole/Castle backcourt.

The fit with Poole is indeed a good one. It’s also something I’ve thought about. Most of us think Poole is a short termer as a Zard but we don’t know for sure.

Castle plays the game the right way. He’s poised and smart and will figure out a way to contribute to winning, whether it’s with his scoring, his playmaking or his defense…just as he did at UConn.

It may change, but here’s my current top picks for the Zards. I could probably live with any of them.
Sarr
Castle/Holland
Shepherd/Dillingham
Clingan
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,471

Post#426 » by NatP4 » Fri May 17, 2024 5:22 pm

nate33 wrote:
Don't overthink it. Good players are good players. Sheppard has elite advanced stats for a freshman. That usage can scale up.

Something to consider: Topic is over a year younger than Sheppard putting up equally impressive numbers against better competition in a professional league.

And I’m higher on Sheppard than anyone else on this board, but Topic would absolutely shred the NCAA next year (in his age 19 season).
The Consiglieri
Starter

Post#427 » by The Consiglieri » Fri May 17, 2024 5:23 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:At #2 I think I'm leaning Castle. Btw, on the subject of knee injuries (Topic), I was not aware Castle missed a month of the season with a meniscus injury. Is that something to consider or be concerned about?

The argument can be made he is BPA. At the combine he measured well at 6'6" with a 6"9" wingspan, and shot it well showing he is working on his man question mark and making progress. But overall, I like the whole package that is Stephon Castle, the competitiveness, the defense, the motor, the IQ, the team 1st selflessness style of play, the athleticism, the passing, the passion.

The play of Jordan Poole last season is something to be considered. Is the plan for Poole to be the PG? The current construction of the team includes a couple potential foundation pieces with Coulibaly (20), Vukcevic (21), and Avdija (23). And then we have Poole (25), Kispert (25), Bagley (25), and Butler (24). How Winger views this group is a question, and who do they view as long term building blocks.

Poole played at a high level once he was moved to the point, at least offensively, seemingly finding his comfort zone after a very rocky start to the season. And we've all seen the pics of Poole and Bilal hanging out together in France.

I gotta admit, part of my interest in Castle is how good of a fit IMO he would be next to Poole. All of Castles strengths address all of Poole's weak spots... Size, defense, effort,/hustle, IQ... I think I could really like a Poole/Castle backcourt.

Poole won't be relevant to our long term competitive interests. We are going to eat his contract until we can flip him, or until he leaves on a free in 2027. The first season we might not suck/be under .500 is probably '26-'27 which will be his last for us, so I don't see the purpose in doing anything at all with Poole in mind. He's an anvil contract they acquired on the off chance he could recapture his form from 2 years earlier, and/or flip him if he approached it. He hasn't. Anythings possible, so maybe what you envision could be worthwhile, but I think the long term interests of the team are simply taking your guy Castle if you think he's the best long term asset available at 2, with Poole being entirely immaterial to that process.
The Consiglieri
Starter

Post#428 » by The Consiglieri » Fri May 17, 2024 5:40 pm

nate33 wrote:
payitforward wrote:
The Consiglieri wrote:.....(the '20 class was also poor....

Wow.....

Anthony Edwards
Lamelo Ball
Tyrese Halliburton
Deni Avdija
Tyrese Maxey
Desmond Bane
Devin Vassell
Obi Toppin
KMart Jr.
Immanuel Quickley
Xavier Tillman
Precious Achiuwa
Onyeka Okonwu
Isaac Okoru
Josh Green
Paul Reed
Isaiah Joe
Sam Merrill
Jaden McDaniels

Superstars:
Edwards
Haliburton

Potential All Stars:
Ball (though health is a problem)
Bane
Maxey

Quality starters:
Avdija
Vassell
Quickley
McDaniels

Rotation players:
Toppin
KMart
Achiuwa
Okongwu
Okoru
Green
Reed
Joe
Merrill

Yeah, that's a good draft - better than expected. But I don't think people expected it to be terrible though. IIRC, I think the consensus assumed that one or two of the top 3 (Ball, Edwards, Wiseman) might pan out to be an All-Star tier guy, and that there were a handful of starter tier guys later in the lottery. Then assume there is usually at least one All-Star surprise in the back half of the draft. This draft was interesting in that there were three big time surprises in Haliburton, Bane and Maxey.

Haliburton isn't a superstar. I don't think anyone considers him a superstar. Everyone on this board (or seemingly everyone, i couldn't remember anyone disagreeing) thought he was clearly the best value in the draft at the time, and should have been the pick when we selected, and seems like that's on point (though I think Deni has backed up why he was regarded as one of the best values outside of the top of the draft), I would argue Haliburton is in the group of the good/very good, but not elite, or megastardom.

Let me underline, the verdict going into '20 that I recall was that it was a dip compared to drafts before it, and drafts after it. Other than ANT, nobody was seen as future star material in the class, nobody. The draft was viewed as having ANT, and then a dip, and Wiseman and Lamelo, and then another dip and Deni typically was ranked atop the next group that included the Big O's, Hayes who was 1.01 for a few people, cautionary tale there, Haliburton was viewed as a super high floor guy that might be better than that, Obi was considered a risk but an interesting ceiling, Vassel was usually in that 6-9 zone but slipped.

But it was really: Ant's the potential star, maybe Ball and Wiseman max out the big man and point guard value there and join him but probably not at that level, and then a big dip. I think Ball and Wiseman were viewed as guys who would go 4-7 in good drafts but were 2-3 in this one because it just wasn't very good in depth.

Over time the top end picks have largely busted w/some exceptions and the value has been mostly in PIF's favored territory, the back end of round 1 and the huge gaping maw that is basically the end of the lottery through pick 60. It's not a horrible draft, but at the time it wasn't viewed as great, and it wasn't. Wiseman flopped, Balls okay but nothing special, the back end of the top 10 was uniformally bad except Deni, Haliburton became his max (damn good 3rd option, in the hall of good to very good so far)...but high end stardom or hall of very good was thin, and the picks were very "miss" for most of the lottery. It's not horrible like '20, its more similar to '13, where its bad, but there are some solid players, and a couple of not quite all stars, and then a whole ton of misses, with maybe a higher hit rate than typical outside of the top 10.

That's my view anyway.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,999

Post#429 » by tontoz » Fri May 17, 2024 5:42 pm

I agree that Poole should be irrelevant to any decisions we make in the draft.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
The Consiglieri
Starter

Post#430 » by The Consiglieri » Fri May 17, 2024 5:49 pm

closg00 wrote:When I see a sports babe reporter on-camera, I wonder how-many of them are just “news readers” as they call them in England, or do they really understand and geek on the sport that they cover?
I know this sounds horribly sexist, but some of these women are just faces for the content, but they are reporters.

Its unfortunate, but things like the sideline reporter in the NFL, studio girl in the NFL Today days of the 70s and 80s really made things difficult for people like Mina Kimes, who know their ----. But in fairness, there are plenty of total idiot males, its just they don't get hired for their looks, they get hired for their hot take style like Smith and Bayless.

I think assume the best until its proven differently. Its not like it takes long (one bayless segment and you know exactly what he is after all, one bad MNF sideline report and you know what that is as well). I tend to think they focus more on reporting skills than they used to, but I also don't care about it.

We already know from a poster here what Aldridge, a guy with decades of experience watching wizards and boulez failures still doesn't know a thing about team building, period...We shouldn't be going to these people in the first place, its decentralized and specialized for a reason, big media is dying, and people are going to people for better insights on more granular reporting/analysis sites like theathletic, pff, fangraphs etc.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,991

Post#431 » by payitforward » Fri May 17, 2024 5:51 pm

nate33 wrote:
payitforward wrote:
The Consiglieri wrote:.....(the '20 class was also poor....

Wow.....

Anthony Edwards
Lamelo Ball
Tyrese Halliburton
Deni Avdija
Tyrese Maxey
Desmond Bane
Devin Vassell
Obi Toppin
KMart Jr.
Immanuel Quickley
Xavier Tillman
Precious Achiuwa
Onyeka Okonwu
Isaac Okoru
Josh Green
Paul Reed
Isaiah Joe
Sam Merrill
Jaden McDaniels

Superstars:
Edwards
Haliburton

Potential All Stars:
Bane
Maxey

Quality starters:
Avdija
Vassell
Quickley
McDaniels

Rotation players:
Toppin
KMart
Achiuwa
Okongwu
Okoru
Green
Reed
Joe
Merrill

Yeah, that's a good draft - better than expected. But I don't think people expected it to be terrible though. IIRC, I think the consensus assumed that one or two of the top 3 (Ball, Edwards, Wiseman) might pan out to be an All-Star tier guy, and that there were a handful of starter tier guys later in the lottery. Then assume there is usually at least one All-Star surprise in the back half of the draft. This draft was interesting in that there were three big time surprises in Haliburton, Bane and Maxey.

Agree that no one downgraded it. &, obviously, some drafts are better than others -- including some that are, overall, lousy. But, you only know in retrospect. One can have any opinion one wants in advance -- &, of course, opinions are as it were "catching," they can cascade easily - but time may tell a different story.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#432 » by payitforward » Fri May 17, 2024 5:56 pm

NatP4 wrote:This is crazy. Doesn’t turn 18 years old until the end of the month.

Read on Twitter

Wow!! Who is this kid? Is he eligible for (i.e. "in") this year's draft? I guess not....
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,689

Post#433 » by nate33 » Fri May 17, 2024 5:56 pm

The Consiglieri wrote:Haliburton isn't a superstar. I don't think anyone considers him a superstar. Everyone on this board (or seemingly everyone, i couldn't remember anyone disagreeing) thought he was clearly the best value in the draft at the time, and should have been the pick when we selected, and seems like that's on point (though I think Deni has backed up why he was regarded as one of the best values outside of the top of the draft), I would argue Haliburton is in the group of the good/very good, but not elite, or megastardom.

Haliburton was basically on everyone's list as first or second team All-NBA until he got hurt. He was in the conversation for being in the conversation for MVP. Don't you remember all the buzz after the in-season tournament?
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,471

Post#434 » by NatP4 » Fri May 17, 2024 5:59 pm

payitforward wrote:
NatP4 wrote:This is crazy. Doesn’t turn 18 years old until the end of the month.

Read on Twitter

Wow!! Who is this kid? Is he eligible for (i.e. "in") this year's draft? I guess not....

Nope, sorry. 2025 kid. Just think it’s crazy to see a 17 year old performing at such a high level in the French professional league playoffs.

This is 100% a Dawkins guy.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#435 » by payitforward » Fri May 17, 2024 6:21 pm

The Consiglieri wrote:
nate33 wrote:
payitforward wrote:Wow.....

Anthony Edwards
Lamelo Ball
Tyrese Halliburton
Deni Avdija
Tyrese Maxey
Desmond Bane
Devin Vassell
Obi Toppin
KMart Jr.
Immanuel Quickley
Xavier Tillman
Precious Achiuwa
Onyeka Okonwu
Isaac Okoru
Josh Green
Paul Reed
Isaiah Joe
Sam Merrill
Jaden McDaniels

Superstars:
Edwards
Haliburton

Potential All Stars:
Bane
Maxey

Quality starters:
Avdija
Vassell
Quickley
McDaniels

Rotation players:
Toppin
KMart
Achiuwa
Okongwu
Okoru
Green
Reed
Joe
Merrill

Haliburton isn't a superstar. I don't think anyone considers him a superstar. Everyone on this board (or seemingly everyone, i couldn't remember anyone disagreeing) thought he was clearly the best value in the draft at the time, and should have been the pick when we selected, and seems like that's on point (though I think Deni has backed up why he was regarded as one of the best values outside of the top of the draft), I would argue Haliburton is in the group of the good/very good, but not elite, or megastardom.

Let me underline, the verdict going into '20 that I recall was that it was a dip compared to drafts before it, and drafts after it. Other than ANT, nobody was seen as future star material in the class, nobody. The draft was viewed as having ANT, and then a dip, and Wiseman and Lamelo, and then another dip and Deni typically was ranked atop the next group that included the Big O's, Hayes who was 1.01 for a few people, cautionary tale there, Haliburton was viewed as a super high floor guy that might be better than that, Obi was considered a risk but an interesting ceiling, Vassel was usually in that 6-9 zone but slipped.

But it was really: Ant's the potential star, maybe Ball and Wiseman max out the big man and point guard value there and join him but probably not at that level, and then a big dip. I think Ball and Wiseman were viewed as guys who would go 4-7 in good drafts but were 2-3 in this one because it just wasn't very good in depth.

Over time the top end picks have largely busted w/some exceptions and the value has been mostly in PIF's favored territory, the back end of round 1 and the huge gaping maw that is basically the end of the lottery through pick 60. It's not a horrible draft, but at the time it wasn't viewed as great, and it wasn't. Wiseman flopped, Balls okay but nothing special, the back end of the top 10 was uniformally bad except Deni, Haliburton became his max (damn good 3rd option, in the hall of good to very good so far)...but high end stardom or hall of very good was thin, and the picks were very "miss" for most of the lottery. It's not horrible like '20, its more similar to '13, where its bad, but there are some solid players, and a couple of not quite all stars, and then a whole ton of misses, with maybe a higher hit rate than typical outside of the top 10.

That's my view anyway.

...to which, obviously, you are entitled! :)

That said, it gets to be difficult to discuss this stuff with a peer who doesn't "get" someone like Halliburton -- one of the very best players drafted in the last decade.

I'd say as well that the idea of '20 as a downgrade after '19 makes no sense to me either. 2019 was a terrible draft: Zion has been an obvious disappointment relative to expectations, & after Morant the only genuinely good players drafted in the top 20 are Darius Garland, Cam Johnson & (on the defensive end) Matisse Thybulle. The rest of R1 was lousy with the exception of Clarke & Johnson. & R2 was pretty weak as well.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#436 » by payitforward » Fri May 17, 2024 6:25 pm

NatP4 wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:GMs know it's a weak draft and they're not going to give up assets just to take Clingan at 2 when we don't even want him at 2 without giving anything up.

Ringer said that front offices are saying that a top 3 pick this year is like a top 5-10 pick in other years, and that the expected value of a top 3 pick is around Tobias Harris levels of talent. Of course, factoring in variance, you could get guys that overperform, but on average, based on the tape that the scouts have watched, that's what the consensus opinion of this draft is.

Yeah, here's a quote from Ryen Russillo - maybe the 4th or 5th starter on a decent team could get you the #1 draft pick.

So we can trade Kuzma for the top pick?

Deal.

Well done, Nat... LOL!!!
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,573

Post#437 » by closg00 » Fri May 17, 2024 6:31 pm

The Consiglieri wrote:
closg00 wrote:When I see a sports babe reporter on-camera, I wonder how-many of them are just “news readers” as they call them in England, or do they really understand and geek on the sport that they cover?
I know this sounds horribly sexist, but some of these women are just faces for the content, but they are reporters.

Its unfortunate, but things like the sideline reporter in the NFL, studio girl in the NFL Today days of the 70s and 80s really made things difficult for people like Mina Kimes, who know their ----. But in fairness, there are plenty of total idiot males, its just they don't get hired for their looks, they get hired for their hot take style like Smith and Bayless.

I think assume the best until its proven differently. Its not like it takes long (one bayless segment and you know exactly what he is after all, one bad MNF sideline report and you know what that is as well). I tend to think they focus more on reporting skills than they used to, but I also don't care about it.

We already know from a poster here what Aldridge, a guy with decades of experience watching wizards and boulez failures still doesn't know a thing about team building, period...We shouldn't be going to these people in the first place, its decentralized and specialized for a reason, big media is dying, and people are going to people for better insights on more granular reporting/analysis sites like theathletic, pff, fangraphs etc.

Good points, thanks
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 4,035

Post#438 » by DCZards » Fri May 17, 2024 6:41 pm

payitforward wrote:
I'd say as well that the idea of '20 as a downgrade after '19 makes no sense to me either. 2019 was a terrible draft: Zion has been an obvious disappointment relative to expectations, & after Morant the only genuinely good players drafted in the top 20 are Darius Garland, Cam Johnson & (on the defensive end) Matisse Thybulle. The rest of R1 was lousy with the exception of Clarke & Johnson. & R2 was pretty weak as well.

I can think of a few other good players from the 2019 draft: PJ Washington, Keldon Johnson, Herro, Coby White, Jordan Poole, Gafford, Terrance Mann, Grant Williams, Claxton…all of whom have been starters and/or rotation players, with some, like Poole, Gafford, Herro, Williams and Washington, being key contributors on playoff teams.
The Consiglieri
Starter

Post#439 » by The Consiglieri » Fri May 17, 2024 6:59 pm

nate33 wrote:
The Consiglieri wrote:Haliburton isn't a superstar. I don't think anyone considers him a superstar. Everyone on this board (or seemingly everyone, i couldn't remember anyone disagreeing) thought he was clearly the best value in the draft at the time, and should have been the pick when we selected, and seems like that's on point (though I think Deni has backed up why he was regarded as one of the best values outside of the top of the draft), I would argue Haliburton is in the group of the good/very good, but not elite, or megastardom.

Haliburton was basically on everyone's list as first or second team All-NBA until he got hurt. He was in the conversation for being in the conversation for MVP. Don't you remember all the buzz after the in-season tournament?

I don't think he's really at the "stardom" level, but maybe that's semantics. I don't think when people think of the best 10-15 players in the NBA, they're thinking Haliburton is one of them in a perenial sense. Damn good, sure, but I think most people are in wait and see (repeatability of mega elite seasons) mode with him but maybe it's just because to my mind, his name is not one being mentioned with baited breath, yet. But I concede that I could be wrong, I'm not as clued in to the everyday reality of basketball the way I am to the NFL, or Soccer.
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 865

Post#440 » by 9 and 20 » Fri May 17, 2024 7:27 pm

Dropping in here to complain about all these French guys. French players should be like Frederic Weis, forever stained with Vince Carter's skidmark on the forehead.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?

Return to Washington Wizards