ImageImageImageImageImage

Old Man Injuries, Bio-hacks & Remedies

Moderators: montestewart, LyricalRico, nate33

badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 896

Re: Old Man Injuries, Bio-hacks & Remedies 

Post#41 » by badinage » Tue Aug 1, 2023 7:15 pm

I want to be playing more pick-up ball than I am. I miss it. But I just move so stiffly on the court. If I play for 45 min, I do get looser, but most of the time I don’t have more than an hour to play. Most of the time it’s less than that.

And about an hour after, it’s hard. Mincing around, taking ibuprofen.

I’ve been using a brace for my knee and that helps with that (I’m in my 50s) — but if anyone knows a great one, I’d love a recommendation. I think what I have is decent.

More importantly/urgently, what do you recommend I do to make my time on the court more enjoyable? I’m not even talking about competitive scrimmages — I’m talking about simple games of one-on-one with a friend or two-on-two with my young sons.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,616

Post#42 » by nate33 » Tue Aug 1, 2023 7:27 pm

badinage wrote:I want to be playing more pick-up ball than I am. I miss it. But I just move so stiffly on the court. If I play for 45 min, I do get looser, but most of the time I don’t have more than an hour to play. Most of the time it’s less than that.

I’ve been using a brace for my knee and that helps with that (I’m in my 50s) — but if anyone knows a great one, I’d love a recommendation. I think what I have is decent.

More importantly/urgently, what do you recommend I do to make my time on the court more enjoyable? I’m not even talking about competitive scrimmages — I’m talking about simple games of one-on-one with a friend or two-on-two with my young sons.

Do hip, core and back exercises like the ones I posted on the first page of this thread. Strengthening your back and hips will make you quicker while you play, and much less sore afterwards. Taking two pre-game ibuprofen helps a lot too.

It's also important to warm up a too. I usually just launch a 3, jog for the rebound, dribble out to the 3-point line and launch again. I do that at a light jogging pace without ever really stopping, for 5 minutes or so. It gets your body warmed up while also getting your shot on track. If you want to do a little light dynamic stretching after your body has warmed up, that'll probably help too, but don't overdo the stretching. You certainly don't need to stretch-and-hold for long periods of time. That may actually be counter-productive as a means of injury avoidance.
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 896

Post#43 » by badinage » Wed Aug 2, 2023 3:30 am

Thank you for this, Nate! I appreciate it.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,651

Post#44 » by pancakes3 » Wed Aug 2, 2023 2:32 pm

i'm also woking on hips and lower back. ankles too. training to do the asian squat.

also when you stretch, make sure to also hit the soleus, which is also a calf muscle but it's the one running down the side of your lower leg, not the traditional gastrocnemius that people think of when they think calves. when i used to do calf stretches, i would just work the gastroc, and then not bend my knee and stretch the soleus (feels like you're stretching your achilles) and get soleus pain/soreness. if i do get cramps, it's still at the gastrocnemius but i think it's because i'm stressing the soleus so my body mechanics make it such that it overloads the gastroc to compensate.
Bullets -> Wizards
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,568

Post#45 » by closg00 » Wed Aug 2, 2023 4:38 pm

Tested positive for COVID :banghead: , hit me up if you have any hacks.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,259

Post#46 » by AFM » Wed Aug 2, 2023 5:33 pm

We can't help you, I suggest you contact Bradley Beal on twitter, I hear he's an expert.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,960

Post#47 » by Frichuela » Wed Aug 2, 2023 6:10 pm

AFM wrote:We can't help you, I suggest you contact Bradley Beal on twitter, I hear he's an expert.

lol :lol:

On a related note, I also found this funny:

Read on Twitter
?s=20
JAR69
Senior
And1: 226

Post#48 » by JAR69 » Thu Aug 3, 2023 2:09 am

Threw my back out today while vacuuming a couch. Literally couldn’t stand for a few minutes. Back to PT once it calms down.

Was finally back to mountain biking and hiking without discomfort. Sigh, old man.
"It takes talent, strategy and millions of dollars to compete in the N.B.A. But regret is the league’s greatest currency." - Howard Beck
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,220

Post#49 » by Zonkerbl » Thu Aug 3, 2023 1:17 pm

nate33 wrote:
badinage wrote:I want to be playing more pick-up ball than I am. I miss it. But I just move so stiffly on the court. If I play for 45 min, I do get looser, but most of the time I don’t have more than an hour to play. Most of the time it’s less than that.

Do hip, core and back exercises like the ones I posted on the first page of this thread. Strengthening your back and hips will make you quicker while you play, and much less sore afterwards. Taking two pre-game ibuprofen helps a lot too.

It's also important to warm up a too. I usually just launch a 3, jog for the rebound, dribble out to the 3-point line and launch again. I do that at a light jogging pace without ever really stopping, for 5 minutes or so. It gets your body warmed up while also getting your shot on track. If you want to do a little light dynamic stretching after your body has warmed up, that'll probably help too, but don't overdo the stretching. You certainly don't need to stretch-and-hold for long periods of time. That may actually be counter-productive as a means of injury avoidance.

Yeah everyone is telling me to do dynamic stretching now, active movement that ends in a stretch. I still have really tight hamstrings.

I would encourage everyone in this thread to actively but gently ice their sore spots and take an anti inflammatory dose of ibuprofen after you play bball. Chances are you have arthritis already - manage it properly and you can delay your first flare up. I was guilty of not doing this and is why my body is so broken now, but I was able to get back to shooting hoops despite all that. I didn't get as far as needing hip replacements or anything, just 80 lbs overweight (50 now), diabetes, high bp, high cholesterol, arthritis in my knees, chronically sore lower back and neck. Still slowly losing a pound or two a month, with help from ozempic, so fingers crossed I can get all those issues back under control in a year or two.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by Zonkerbl » Thu Aug 3, 2023 1:19 pm

JAR69 wrote:Threw my back out today while vacuuming a couch. Literally couldn’t stand for a few minutes. Back to PT once it calms down.

Was finally back to mountain biking and hiking without discomfort. Sigh, old man.

If it's a muscle spasm some chiro might help, I had muscle spasms every six months since I was 19, nothing the doctor did ever did any good, except taking anti inflammatories that also give you heart disease. Well, sciatica stretches helped a little. But the chiro I went to in my forties fixed my muscle spasms right away no problem. Haven't had any since.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 14,400

Post#51 » by CobraCommander » Fri Aug 4, 2023 2:40 am

30 to 45 minutes of Cardio 7 days a week- no rest days - stairs or thread mill...sweat like a pig but don’t go too hard....zone 2 etc...

Vegetarian 75% of the time.

Limit dairy

Intermittent fast

Pre & Probiotics

NMN 1000mg a day

Omega 3s 4000mg a day (50/50 epa/dha)

Magnesium- l-threonate in the morning
Magnesium glycinate at night - and potentially melatonin for sleep...small dose...but good sleep is a must

Get checked for sleep apnea and if you have it- lose weight or get that sleep machine...sleep is ultra important

Read....if you can meditate - do it....but read and do any type of puzzles or games that you can...cross word or something

Never stop looking at hot chicks...you lose that and you might as well die anyway -

Beyond just a multi vitamin- go hard on the zinc...go right to the edge but don’t over do it
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by Zonkerbl » Fri Aug 4, 2023 3:39 pm

30 mins of cardio every day with no rest would absolutely annihilate my arthritic knees and will probably annihilate yours as well

take it easy buddy

my problem is I did all this, going 110% all the time without stopping to take care of my body, and I kept getting injured and having to take three weeks off. Then I'd come back and overdo it trying to "catch up" and injure myself again. Now I've got chronically bad everything and arthritis and I'm STILL 50 lbs overweight so it was all for nothing. I wish someone had grabbed my shoulders in my thirties and shaken the crap out of me and said "you have to do more than work out. you have to take care of your body. you can't go 110% ALL THE TIME"
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,364

Post#53 » by Kanyewest » Fri Aug 4, 2023 6:41 pm

Watched the first documentary about losing weight on Amazon prime. They followed people who not only lost the weight but also managed to keep it off for a long duration.

They say people ended up falling flat because of nutrition
- Dietary changes that you make should be sustainable - you should plan to make these changes for the rest of your life. Otherwise you can expect the weight to come back.
- People need to learn how to read labels. If you want to follow a low fat dies you calculate the number of calories of fat proportional to the number of calories if you want to follow a low fat diet - calories for fat are apparently 9 calories for every gram of fat- nutritional companies don't report the number of calories.
-While this documentary made some points against Keto, they did seem aligned that too much processed food is bad. And to limit the amount of sugar (4 grams of sugars is packet of sugar- and there are 10 packets of sugar for every can of soda)

Not all weight loss is good
- People who do too much cardio end up losing a lot of weight but they end up losing a lot of muscle while retaining too much fat.
- If you do endless cardio with low calories, they think your metabolism slows down.
- Also too much cardio can reduce some critical muscles as you age
- It is important to rest to recover

It seemed to side more against intermittent fasting and more for 3 hour feeding intervals. Although I'm not sure how sustainable hving 4-5 meals a day
- Meal prep is important so you don't binge out when you get hungry
- Eating more actually fuels the metabolism which makes it easier to lose weight. Someone who eats one meal a day and exercises endlessly will not lose weight.
- They advocate to getting some protein, some vegetables in every meal- mostly for its fiber.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by Zonkerbl » Fri Aug 4, 2023 7:21 pm

Kanyewest wrote:Watched the first documentary about losing weight on Amazon prime. They followed people who not only lost the weight but also managed to keep it off for a long duration.

- Dietary changes that you make should be sustainable - you should plan to make these changes for the rest of your life. Otherwise you can expect the weight to come back.
- People need to learn how to read labels. If you want to follow a low fat dies you calculate the number of calories of fat proportional to the number of calories if you want to follow a low fat diet - calories for fat are apparently 9 calories for every gram of fat- nutritional companies don't report the number of calories.
-While this documentary made some points against Keto, they did seem aligned that too much processed food is bad. And to limit the amount of sugar (4 grams of sugars is packet of sugar- and there are 10 packets of sugar for every can of soda)

- People who do too much cardio end up losing a lot of weight but they end up losing a lot of muscle while retaining too much fat.
- If you do endless cardio with low calories, they think your metabolism slows down.

It seemed to side more against intermittent fasting and more for 3 hour feeding intervals. Although I'm not sure how sustainable hving 4-5 meals a day
- Eating more actually fuels the metabolism which makes it easier to lose weight. Someone who eats one meal a day and exercises endlessly will not lose weight.
- They advocate to getting some protein, some vegetables in every meal- mostly for its fiber.

Hm, did they also talk about the biochemistry of weight loss and how it's almost impossible to permanently lose subcutaneous fat just through diet and exercise alone? That it's not just sustainable diet choices, your body will literally fight you to hold on to the fat you've accumulated?

You binge out because your body is producing hormones that make you desperately hungry, for one - not because your meal prep sucks! Also your body will lower your base metabolism, not because you're doing too much cardio, but because it thinks you are starving it to death. And what the body considers to be dangerous starvation is annoyingly mild deficits in intake vs burn.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,616

Post#55 » by nate33 » Fri Aug 4, 2023 10:19 pm

Kanyewest wrote:It seemed to side more against intermittent fasting and more for 3 hour feeding intervals. Although I'm not sure how sustainable hving 4-5 meals a day

This is surprising. I find that intermittent fasting is a real easy way for me to reduce my caloric intake as I age.

I work from home, so about 10 years ago, I started pushing back when I ate breakfast. From 8:30 to 9:30, then a few weeks later I pushed it back to 10:30, and a few weeks later, to 11:30. I now eat my first meal of the day at noon. (I drink a Diet Coke in the morning.) It wasn't really that hard to do, and, at this point, I experience no hunger whatsoever in the morning prior to my first meal. The end result is that I now eat two meals a day instead of 3. (I may snack a little bit around 3:00, a few cheese and crackers, or a scoop of peanut butter or something. But not a whole meal.) It was a totally painless way of eliminating maybe 500 calories a day. It compensated nicely for the inevitable slowing of metabolism with age. I'm still 5-9 160 with 13% body fat.

This is actually my #1 diet recommendation. Postpone your first meal, and when you do eat, try and make it a relatively low carb meal, because fats and proteins tend to be more satiating. I eat 4 eggs with bacon or sausage plus one piece of toast or a half bagel. I'm 51 now. As I approach 60, I'll probably eliminate that bread.

I don't really do much else as far as dieting goes. I'll eat anything for dinner with no restrictions. The only real caveat is that I try and avoid eating until I'm stuffed. If I feel full, I just stop eating. There's no award for finishing every last morsel on my plate. Finally, I try and eliminate any late night snacks. Maybe once a week, I'll have dessert if the wife makes something yummy, but I don't raid the cupboard for Oreos at 10:00 at night like I used to when I was younger. I do indulge in a glass of red wine maybe 3 nights a week.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,259

Post#56 » by AFM » Fri Aug 4, 2023 11:35 pm

I'm basically using this thread to log everyone's age, to throw in your face next time we have a disagreement.
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#57 » by Kanyewest » Sat Aug 5, 2023 6:31 am

nate33 wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:It seemed to side more against intermittent fasting and more for 3 hour feeding intervals. Although I'm not sure how sustainable hving 4-5 meals a day

This is surprising. I find that intermittent fasting is a real easy way for me to reduce my caloric intake as I age.

I work from home, so about 10 years ago, I started pushing back when I ate breakfast. From 8:30 to 9:30, then a few weeks later I pushed it back to 10:30, and a few weeks later, to 11:30. I now eat my first meal of the day at noon. (I drink a Diet Coke in the morning.) It wasn't really that hard to do, and, at this point, I experience no hunger whatsoever in the morning prior to my first meal. The end result is that I now eat two meals a day instead of 3. (I may snack a little bit around 3:00, a few cheese and crackers, or a scoop of peanut butter or something. But not a whole meal.) It was a totally painless way of eliminating maybe 500 calories a day. It compensated nicely for the inevitable slowing of metabolism with age. I'm still 5-9 160 with 13% body fat.

This is actually my #1 diet recommendation. Postpone your first meal, and when you do eat, try and make it a relatively low carb meal, because fats and proteins tend to be more satiating. I eat 4 eggs with bacon or sausage plus one piece of toast or a half bagel. I'm 51 now. As I approach 60, I'll probably eliminate that bread.

I don't really do much else as far as dieting goes. I'll eat anything for dinner with no restrictions. The only real caveat is that I try and avoid eating until I'm stuffed. If I feel full, I just stop eating. There's no award for finishing every last morsel on my plate. Finally, I try and eliminate any late night snacks. Maybe once a week, I'll have dessert if the wife makes something yummy, but I don't raid the cupboard for Oreos at 10:00 at night like I used to when I was younger. I do indulge in a glass of red wine maybe 3 nights a week.

I've had some success intermittent fasting as well. Seems to be a lot of studies that support it as well. Although I've had some success with multiple smaller portions in the past. I think both work. The big thing for me is to eat enough so I don't get super hungry with either diet, along with drinking enough water as well as enough sleeping.
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#58 » by Kanyewest » Sat Aug 5, 2023 6:41 am

Zonkerbl wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:Watched the first documentary about losing weight on Amazon prime. They followed people who not only lost the weight but also managed to keep it off for a long duration.

Hm, did they also talk about the biochemistry of weight loss and how it's almost impossible to permanently lose subcutaneous fat just through diet and exercise alone? That it's not just sustainable diet choices, your body will literally fight you to hold on to the fat you've accumulated?

You binge out because your body is producing hormones that make you desperately hungry, for one - not because your meal prep sucks! Also your body will lower your base metabolism, not because you're doing too much cardio, but because it thinks you are starving it to death. And what the body considers to be dangerous starvation is annoyingly mild deficits in intake vs burn.

They didn't really dive into getting rid of stubborn fat. Although they did seem to imply that weight loss is sustainable. There were also mindset although I didn't end up finishing the documentary.

The important lesson that they seemed to imply is that that you actually need to eat more, not less to lose weight. If you do endless cardio and run a major caloric deficit, then your metabolism slows down They used an analogy of too much on wood on fire doesn't burn (ie too much exercise and you don't lose weight).

I kind of agree the meal prep is important for me because I would just eat pretty unhealthy when I'm really hungry (chips, pizza, cookies etc) - basically they suggest having ready made food always on you but I'm not sure how realistic that is.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#59 » by Zonkerbl » Sat Aug 5, 2023 1:37 pm

nate33 wrote:

This is good advice, I tried intermittent fasting and it just made me angry. Gradually pushing breakfast back makes sense, I may try that
gesa2
Rookie
And1: 263

Post#60 » by gesa2 » Sat Aug 5, 2023 5:26 pm

I think the best data from all of the different diets out there shows that in the end calorie restriction is the only way to lose weight. The rest of it is what helps you make a behavior change that results in that calorie deficit. Keto and low carb diets, intermittent fasting don’t trick your metabolism. If they’re working for you, you’re eating less calories than you’re burning. The diet you should follow is the one that works for your life, that you can stick to for the long haul. Being aware and paying attention, and being honest with yourself is crucial. Just tracking your intake, stopping sugary drinks including sports drinks, and not eating after dinner will get most people started.

Return to Washington Wizards