ImageImageImageImageImage

Jump into the Poole Party: The Official Jordan Poole Thread

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,985

Re: Jump into the Poole Party: The Official Jordan Poole Thread 

Post#41 » by TGW » Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:25 pm

DCZards wrote:Yeah…both Draymond and Poole are almost certainly culpable for what went down in GS. Let’s hope Jordan has matured and doesn’t bring that stank attitude to DC.

But it was a punk-a** move for Green to coldcock Poole the way he did, especially when Jordan had no idea it was coming.

This. And it's an indictment on the Warriors FO on how they handled it.

Just because Poole's a Wizard now doesn't mean my impression of him has changed. Thought he was a punk before, and after the trade.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,470

Post#42 » by NatP4 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:27 pm

And that is why the FO has been overhauled entirely. Absolute disastrous end to a dynasty.
Hibachi_0
Sophomore
And1: 92

Post#43 » by Hibachi_0 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:27 pm

NatP4 wrote:
No they traded the bad player on the bad contract and kept the very good player.

True. Change the "big three" player for good and "young promising" for bad. Doesn't change the fact that it was clear with who the Warriors would take sides with.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,470

Post#44 » by NatP4 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:32 pm

Hibachi_0 wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
No they traded the bad player on the bad contract and kept the very good player.

True. Change the "big three" player for good and "young promising" for bad. Doesn't change the fact that it was clear with who the Warriors would take sides with.

Very true. And totally mishandle it along the way. Why didn’t the team suspend him for an extended period of time and publicly make a stronger statement about that kind of behavior??
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,477

Post#45 » by doclinkin » Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:35 pm

NatP4 wrote:If we had just now acquired Draymond as opposed to Poole, would you have the same perspective?

Or would it be “Draymond is a no-nonsense championship level leader, will help build that culture here, no more putting up with Jordan Poole types etc”

It’s pretty unfair to speculate one way or the other about what’s going on behind the scenes IMO.

Draymond is an excellent player, and an ass who is hard to get along with. That has been long known before Jordan Poole was in the league. He yaps all the time. NO nonsense? 50% of his game is nonsense. It is how he motivates himself. I fully expect Poole has an ego, no doubt. But he wasn't the one smacking a teammate in the face. That is neither 'no-nonsense' nor leadership. It is an immature punk act from a **** who figured he would get away with it, then got his feelings hurt because it was caught on camera. But in fact he did get away with it, and now is smug about it. I love Dray as a player AND he is a turd who I would have a hard time cheering for it he was on my squad. I am a fan of villains in sports, but he is one who himself is eminently punchable and I was always hoping to hear scuttlebutt that DeMarcus Cousins had ragdolled him and tossed him into a laundry cart when they were on the W's together.
Hibachi_0
Sophomore
And1: 92

Post#46 » by Hibachi_0 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:43 pm

NatP4 wrote:Very true. And totally mishandle it along the way. Why didn’t the team suspend him for an extended period of time and publicly make a stronger statement about that kind of behavior??

Because he is Draymond Green. If it was the other way around I'm sure it would have ended differently. It was not a fight, one knocked the other one out after being pushed away.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,991

Post#47 » by payitforward » Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:01 pm

NatP4 wrote:If we had just now acquired Draymond as opposed to Poole, would you have the same perspective?

LOL !!

NatP4 wrote:It’s pretty unfair to speculate one way or the other about what’s going on behind the scenes IMO.

This is 100% correct. Plus, we got a lesson in dropping the subject from Poole himself.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#48 » by payitforward » Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:08 pm

doclinkin wrote:

Or would it be “Draymond is a no-nonsense championship level leader, will help build that culture here, no more putting up with Jordan Poole types etc”

It’s pretty unfair to speculate one way or the other about what’s going on behind the scenes IMO.

Draymond is an excellent player, and an ass who is hard to get along with. That has been long known before Jordan Poole was in the league. He yaps all the time. NO nonsense? 50% of his game is nonsense. It is how he motivates himself. I fully expect Poole has an ego, no doubt. But he wasn't the one smacking a teammate in the face. That is neither 'no-nonsense' nor leadership. It is an immature punk act from a **** who figured he would get away with it, then got his feelings hurt because it was caught on camera. But in fact he did get away with it, and now is smug about it. I love Dray as a player AND he is a turd who I would have a hard time cheering for it he was on my squad. I am a fan of villains in sports, but he is one who himself is eminently punchable and I was always hoping to hear scuttlebutt that DeMarcus Cousins had ragdolled him and tossed him into a laundry cart when they were on the W's together.

Doc... you're running a kangaroo court.

& why is this ok? -- "...I was always hoping to hear scuttlebutt that DeMarcus Cousins had ragdolled him and tossed him into a laundry cart when they were on the W's together."

None of this goes anywhere good.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,655

Post#49 » by pancakes3 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:21 pm

i oscillate between feeling like an NBA team is a workplace, and understanding that it's not a traditional workplace.

yes, there needs to be professionalism and consequences similar to a traditional workplace. however, the line of work that athletes are in is very different than that of a traditional workplace, as are the interpersonal relationships.

part of the difference is that the line of work is an intrinsically physical activity. not just from a labor perspective, but they are expected to physically engage with one another. touching. bumping. nudging. pushing. it's hard to start drawing lines between what is acceptable contact and what is unacceptable. I think a punch firmly lands in unacceptable, but again, it's a line-drawing problem. A shove? A tussle?

then add in the psychological makeup of a team where you have complicated hierarchical dynamics among other dynamics and it's just hard for me as a 3rd party observer to make value judgments as to what's good or not. This is re: tossing Dray into a laundry cart. No punchies. That can be a hard and fast rule.
Bullets -> Wizards
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#50 » by doclinkin » Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:22 pm

payitforward wrote:
doclinkin wrote:

Doc... you're running a kangaroo court.

& why is this ok? -- "...I was always hoping to hear scuttlebutt that DeMarcus Cousins had ragdolled him and tossed him into a laundry cart when they were on the W's together."

None of this goes anywhere good.

LOL, Oh go punch another jazz musician in old tyme chicago or whatnot. :clown:

I am saying I don't like Dray's public persona. And seemed to me it would be justice if he himself pissed off the wrong guy. And Boogie Cousins seemed like the proper wrong guy to do it. Also, I will affirm Nat's point: Jordan Poole is our guy now, so eff everybody else. You know, of course, until he irks me for whatever reason. Anyway, clean slate as far as I am concerned. Whereas Dray, he can go breathe seawater as far as I'm concerned. Hyperbolically speaking.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#51 » by doclinkin » Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:25 pm

Funny, I recall people taking sides in the Etan Thomas and Brendan Haywood dust-ups. The re-cap of them years later and the peace-making efforts were satisfying to watch, hearing the story from both sides. It was cool to see each had developed wisdom and perspective on the situation. I am not claiming that I myself am as wise as all that. Laundry cart, I reiterate.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#52 » by payitforward » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:11 pm

doclinkin wrote:
payitforward wrote:...None of this goes anywhere good.

...I am saying I don't like Dray's public persona. And seemed to me it would be justice if he himself pissed off the wrong guy. ... Jordan Poole is our guy now, so eff everybody else....

Agreed, & that's why I suggest it makes sense to take Jordan Poole's line on this subject.

Your privilege, of course, to do the exact opposite.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,685

Post#53 » by nate33 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:40 pm

doclinkin wrote:Funny, I recall people taking sides in the Etan Thomas and Brendan Haywood dust-ups. The re-cap of them years later and the peace-making efforts were satisfying to watch, hearing the story from both sides. It was cool to see each had developed wisdom and perspective on the situation. I am not claiming that I myself am as wise as all that. Laundry cart, I reiterate.

Haywood was always right and Etan was always wrong. :D
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 7,004

Post#54 » by FAH1223 » Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:42 am

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#55 » by nate33 » Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:32 am

I actually took a good look at Jordan Poole's numbers and was surprised to see how good of a scorer he was when he didn't share the floor with Curry.

In the 1371 minutes that he didn't share the court with Curry last year, Poole averaged 28 points, 6.1 assists, 3.1 rebounds and 3.9 turnovers per 36 minutes on a TS% of .585. That's basically Bradley Beal type numbers, with worse rebounding. He also just turned 24 so maybe he's got a little improvement left in him. He surely has a chip on his shoulder and a desire to prove people wrong. And he is well known as a hard worker who has gotten to where he is through an insane work ethic

Let's say, for argument's sake, that he boosts his TS% by 1% while maintaining the exact same usage he had last year without Curry on the floor, but does so for 36 minutes a game. That would mean he would average 28.5 points per game on a TS% of .595. That's pretty frickin' good!
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 899

Post#56 » by badinage » Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:56 am

Yep.

A chip on his shoulder and a chip on his resume. ;)

I think his floor next season is ~24 a game. 28 is entirely possible.

And unlike Beal, he has a wiggle to his game. A flair. It’s gonna be so much fun to watch.

In fact, if you had told me at end of the season in April that we were gonna trade Beal and shed the albatross that is the godawful BB contract and in return get back Poole — who’s only 24, was a major piece of a title team, pretty much carried GS offensively last season without Curry, and is poised to explode sans Curry/Thompson/Green — I would have been ecstatic. Add in a bunch of picks, and I’m over the moon.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#57 » by miller31time » Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:39 pm

nate33 wrote:
doclinkin wrote:Funny, I recall people taking sides in the Etan Thomas and Brendan Haywood dust-ups. The re-cap of them years later and the peace-making efforts were satisfying to watch, hearing the story from both sides. It was cool to see each had developed wisdom and perspective on the situation. I am not claiming that I myself am as wise as all that. Laundry cart, I reiterate.

Haywood was always right and Etan was always wrong. :D

BTH fan club 4 life. I’ll never forget that insane plus/minus. Lol.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#58 » by payitforward » Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:51 pm

nate33 wrote:I actually took a good look at Jordan Poole's numbers and was surprised to see how good of a scorer he was when he didn't share the floor with Curry.

In the 1371 minutes that he didn't share the court with Curry last year, Poole averaged 28 points, 6.1 assists, 3.1 rebounds and 3.9 turnovers per 36 minutes on a TS% of .585. That's basically Bradley Beal type numbers, with worse rebounding. He also just turned 24 so maybe he's got a little improvement left in him. He surely has a chip on his shoulder and a desire to prove people wrong. And he is well known as a hard worker who has gotten to where he is through an insane work ethic

Let's say, for argument's sake, that he boosts his TS% by 1% while maintaining the exact same usage he had last year without Curry on the floor, but does so for 36 minutes a game. That would mean he would average 28.5 points per game on a TS% of .595. That's pretty frickin' good!

Fantastic work, nate!
Even w/o pushing up that .585 TS% he'd be better than Beal his 4th year in the league, when his TS% was .547 -- on a lot lower usage than those 1371 minutes by JP.

Add in his extremely solid prior season, & there's a lot to look forward to!
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#59 » by nate33 » Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:07 pm

payitforward wrote:Fantastic work, nate!
Even w/o pushing up that .585 TS% he'd be better than Beal his 4th year in the league, when his TS% was .547 -- on a lot lower usage than those 1371 minutes by JP.

Add in his extremely solid prior season, & there's a lot to look forward to!

To be fair to Beal, it was harder to score back then. Beal's TS% in his 4th season was about 1% above league average. Poole's TS% is right at league average. And Beal also had a considerably lower turnover rate. Overall, I'd say 4th year Beal was still a bit better than 4th year Poole.

On the other hand, 5th year Beal went on to get a max contract worth 24% of the cap. Poole is making 20% of the cap. Relatively speaking, Poole may pan out to be equivalent, or even a bargain. He is almost certainly a bargain relative to current Beal who will be paid 34.3% of the cap. And that's without assuming any improvement for Poole over time, or decline from Beal.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,825

Post#60 » by penbeast0 » Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:49 pm

I apologize if I have posted this in this thread already.

What I really want to see is how Poole reacts to being a PG. If he can develop that skill set to the degree that CJ McCollum has in New Orleans, it makes him more valuable. Of course that would mean staggering him with Tyus because Tyus doesn't really have the off ball skillset that even Monte Morris did (Delon can play off ball if we keep him so we can still do the JP at PG experiment).
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.

Return to Washington Wizards