ImageImageImageImageImage

Line-ups, rotation, analysis thread.

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,685

Re: Line-ups, rotation, analysis thread. 

Post#1941 » by nate33 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:37 pm

NatP4 wrote:I’m all for showcasing the veterans to try and flip them for 2nd round picks, but it’s not that hard to give Johnny Davis some consistent playing time. The 9 man rotation (which is basically 8 with Muscala playing 7 minutes), is totally unnecessary and counterproductive.

We played Muscala sparingly against Toronto because they don't play a true backup center. But typically, one of Muscala or Gallo plays 15-20 minutes at backup center.

I'd say Davis should get more minutes if we were consistently playing our top guys 34+ minutes, but we're not. Most of our top guys are playing a very reasonable 25-32 minutes.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,985

Post#1942 » by TGW » Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:28 am

I'm wondering if it's time to bench Poole, and start Coulibaly. I just don't see what Poole is bringing to the team other than a random deep three here or there. Bringing him off the bench would kill what little fragile ego he has, but he doesn't deserve starting.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
2Fluffy4U
Sophomore
And1: 98

Post#1943 » by 2Fluffy4U » Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:59 am

TGW wrote:I'm wondering if it's time to bench Poole, and start Coulibaly. I just don't see what Poole is bringing to the team other than a random deep three here or there. Bringing him off the bench would kill what little fragile ego he has, but he doesn't deserve starting.

Benching Poole will hurt the team as his trade value will take a big hit

Keeping him as a starter will hurt the team as he is not good

I think the latter if preffered by the FO..
Hibachi_0
Sophomore
And1: 92

Post#1944 » by Hibachi_0 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:48 am

I think that as long as B Cool keeps playing his 25-30 min per game and as the seasons go we get to see him more with the ball I'm (kind of) fine with him not being in the starting lineup. He is improving fast, I don't need it to be faster by risking overloading him by asking him too much.
Hidden Eye
Pro Prospect
And1: 370

Post#1945 » by Hidden Eye » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:33 pm

Jones 6/7 and still end up being -20
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1946 » by nate33 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:58 pm

2Fluffy4U wrote:
TGW wrote:I'm wondering if it's time to bench Poole, and start Coulibaly. I just don't see what Poole is bringing to the team other than a random deep three here or there. Bringing him off the bench would kill what little fragile ego he has, but he doesn't deserve starting.

Benching Poole will hurt the team as his trade value will take a big hit

Keeping him as a starter will hurt the team as he is not good

I think the latter if preffered by the FO..

Poole's trade value is extremely negative. A trade is off the table in the short term. The only way his trade value improves is if he improves as a player, both on the court and in the locker room. I think benching him might actually help in that regard.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,999

Post#1947 » by tontoz » Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:11 pm

Hibachi_0 wrote:I think that as long as B Cool keeps playing his 25-30 min per game and as the seasons go we get to see him more with the ball I'm (kind of) fine with him not being in the starting lineup. He is improving fast, I don't need it to be faster by risking overloading him by asking him too much.

Yeah lets remember BC is 19 :o

Based on production he should be starting and playing 35 minutes but at 19 his body probably isn't ready for that.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,985

Post#1948 » by TGW » Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:50 pm

tontoz wrote:
Hibachi_0 wrote:I think that as long as B Cool keeps playing his 25-30 min per game and as the seasons go we get to see him more with the ball I'm (kind of) fine with him not being in the starting lineup. He is improving fast, I don't need it to be faster by risking overloading him by asking him too much.

Based on production he should be starting and playing 35 minutes but at 19 his body probably isn't ready for that.

I want BC to start because it's rewarding a certain type of play. Yes, I agree he shouldn't be playing 30-35 mpg...keeping him to his current minutes is fine. To me, it's more a culture thing than a minutes thing...starters start for a reason. It's because they deserve it. BC deserves it. Poole doesn't. Starting Poole is rewarding bad behavior IMO.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,196

Post#1949 » by dckingsfan » Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:37 pm

TGW wrote:
tontoz wrote:

I want BC to start because it's rewarding a certain type of play. Yes, I agree he shouldn't be playing 30-35 mpg...keeping him to his current minutes is fine. To me, it's more a culture thing than a minutes thing...starters start for a reason. It's because they deserve it. BC deserves it. Poole doesn't. Starting Poole is rewarding bad behavior IMO.

Count me in on this one... almost want a poll done on this idea.

Like to hear others weigh in, monte, bsilver, PIF, keynote, Kanyewest, DCZards, doclinkin et. al?
bsilver
Pro Prospect
And1: 467

Post#1950 » by bsilver » Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:38 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
TGW wrote:
tontoz wrote:Yeah lets remember BC is 19 :o

Count me in on this one... almost want a poll done on this idea.

Like to hear others weigh in, monte, bsilver, PIF, keynote, Kanyewest, DCZards, doclinkin et. al?

For now, 25-30 minutes sounds about right. First the team needs a better Jordan Poole strategy. Even if we're not going to take his starting job, at least have to reduce his minutes. Don't see that Johnny Davis is the answer, but he tries hard on defense. I'd like to see Ryan Rollins get extended tine. He might actually be the best guard on the team. WUJ doesn't seem to give players on the fringe a chance. We saw that with Jordan Goodwin who deserved to play, but only got the opportunities because of injuries.
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics — quote popularized by Mark Twain.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,468

Post#1951 » by NatP4 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:41 pm

Rollins is a non prospect that puts up empty stats. GS gave him and Baldwin away for a reason.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1952 » by dckingsfan » Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:06 pm

NatP4 wrote:Rollins is a non prospect that puts up empty stats. GS gave him and Baldwin away for a reason.

Thread killer - LOL!! (just kidding).

Should BC start?
bsilver
Pro Prospect
And1: 467

Post#1953 » by bsilver » Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:55 pm

NatP4 wrote:Rollins is a non prospect that puts up empty stats. GS gave him and Baldwin away for a reason.

We don't know why Rollins was included in the trade.
Garbage time stats are generally meaningless, as is the "empty stats" comment.
What's your solution at guard?
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics — quote popularized by Mark Twain.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#1954 » by NatP4 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:59 pm

dckingsfan wrote:

Should BC start?

Yes. He’s the 2nd best prospect in the draft and a future superstar. Develop him like the talent that he is. Rookie of the year candidate, day 1 starter. He was just starting on a quality French league team in the playoffs(which are probably higher intensity games than wizards games).

I’d have the rotation like this:

Tyus 24 Butler 12 Poole 12
Davis 28 Poole 12 Kispert 8
Coulibaly 28 Kispert 20
Kuzma 20 Avdija 28
Gafford 24 Muscala 16 Kuzma 8

Pretty simple. It’s so obvious that Poole needs a significantly reduced role. Obviously, you can’t play your 2022 top 10 draft pick ZERO minutes behind Landry freaking Shamet, that goes without saying. Kispert has also not been playing nearly enough.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#1955 » by NatP4 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:01 pm

bsilver wrote:

Rollins has a large sample size of mediocrity in the g-league and summer league and at Toledo. He’s never been a positive impact guy. He plays with tunnel vision on O and makes no one better around him and gives zero effort on defense.

We don’t need a “solution” at guard, we need to give opportunities to promising young players. In my opinion, that’s guys like Jared Butler and Johnny Davis, not Rollins.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1956 » by dckingsfan » Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:08 pm

NatP4 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:

Should BC start?

Yes. He’s the 2nd best prospect in the draft and a future superstar. Develop him like the talent that he is. Rookie of the year candidate, day 1 starter. He was just starting on a quality French league team in the playoffs(which are probably higher intensity games than wizards games).

Coulibaly 28 Kispert 20
Kuzma 20 Avdija 28

Pretty simple. It’s so obvious that Poole needs a significantly reduced role. Obviously, you can’t play your 2022 top 10 draft pick ZERO minutes behind Landry freaking Shamet, that goes without saying. Kispert has also not been playing nearly enough.

Good with Tyus, Coulibaly, Avdija, Kuzma & Gafford too?
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,590

Post#1957 » by pcbothwel » Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:31 pm

NatP4 wrote:
bsilver wrote:

Rollins has a large sample size of mediocrity in the g-league and summer league and at Toledo. He’s never been a positive impact guy. He plays with tunnel vision on O and makes no one better around him and gives zero effort on defense.

We don’t need a “solution” at guard, we need to give opportunities to promising young players. In my opinion, that’s guys like Jared Butler and Johnny Davis, not Rollins.

Rollins and Butler had almost identical stats in the G-League last year. In college, he averaged a per36 of 21/6/4 with a TS of 57% on 29% usage... Nothing "Mediocre" about that for 19 y/o.
While I dont see a consistent/locked in defender, I see a guy that collects steals and rebounds and appears to show IQ.
To me, his profile as an undersized combo guard that profiles to shoot better from 3 (80% FT shooter on high volume).

I see a Maxey/Rozier type and think that upside is worth riding out.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,825

Post#1958 » by penbeast0 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:38 pm

NatP4 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:

Should BC start?

Coulibaly 28 Kispert 20
Kuzma 20 Avdija 28

Avdija has been our best, at times only, defender out there and is having a decent year offensively. I sure wouldn't move him to the bench or otherwise disrupt his role. It's also sending a terrible message to the team if you demote the starter who is working on both ends rather than one of the offense only ones when you are among the worst defensive teams already. Kuzma has been our best offensive player, is the team leader/captain type, and is having a career year in terms of offense so far so I probably keep him with the starter too. I have no problem upping Coulibaly's minutes at the expense of Muscala and Gallinari but I wouldn't mess with our starting forwards as long as they keep playing well.

As for guard, I don't think Davis has shown out much but have no problem giving him or Kispert, etc. looks as a starter as the combination of Poole and Tyus has not worked well at all. I'd even consider using all 3 of our forwards together more, using Deni's playmaking skills as the defacto 2 as that's getting our best 3 players on the floor together. Although our reserve guards are the youngsters we are trying to develop outside Coulibaly so longterm it may not be a great move.

I'd keep starting Tyus because you are trying to sell him on resigning where Poole is signed longterm and really doesn't have the leverage to force himself out.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1959 » by nate33 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:51 pm

NatP4 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:

Should BC start?

Coulibaly 28 Kispert 20
Kuzma 20 Avdija 28

I can't say this is wrong. I think it's a stretch to play Davis 28 minutes before he at least demonstrates that he can handle a 15 mpg bench role, but I totally support making sure Davis gets a regular rotation spot. I'd cut Davis down to 16 minutes and give 4 more minutes apiece to Tyus, Butler and Poole.

If Davis outplays anybody during his 16 minutes, then, sure, give him even more minutes.

Also, I'd continue to start Avdija. It might cut a little into the minutes of Kispert and Coulibaly, but Avdija has earned it. Also, it's really hard to play 28 minutes off the bench. It requires that you play two very long stints in each half.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1960 » by nate33 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:00 pm

So, something like this:

PG Tyus 28, Butler 16*, Poole 4
SG Kispert 12, Poole 20, Davis 16
SF Avdija 10, Coulibaly 26, Kispert 12
PF Kuzma 30, Avdija 18
C Gafford 26, Muscala 18**

*I would alternate Butler with Rollins on a week by week basis. Let Butler get 5 games in a row as the primary backup while Rollins rides the bench; and then switch them. Give them both opportunities and see who rises to the top.

** I would play either Muscala or Gallo in the backup center role depending on the matchup. Generally, I wouldn't play them both in the same game unless foul trouble required it.

Return to Washington Wizards