ImageImageImageImageImage

Line-ups, rotation, analysis thread.

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

leswizards
Pro Prospect
And1: 212

Re: Line-ups, rotation, analysis thread. 

Post#1901 » by leswizards » Tue Nov 7, 2023 11:20 pm

Jordan Poole’s ortg the last 2 games has been 119 & 134. Maybe (hopefully) he has turned the corner.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 939

Post#1902 » by WallToWall » Wed Nov 8, 2023 4:13 pm

nate33 wrote:I knew the roster was structurally designed to fail because of a total lack of interior defense from the center position, but I didn't expect it to go this successfully! At this point, it's getting embarrassing. We are the worst defense in the league, and our DRtg is 8.6 points/100 lower than the NBA average.

Is it time to make a move and acquire a real NBA center? Heck, a bench rider like Alex Len might be able to start for us. Where is Mo Wagner when you need him?

Although we have a problem at C (interior D), we have a bigger problem on the perimeter. We need to pair Poole with a taller, defensive oriented, PG. The backcourt of Poole and Jones is killing us on D. That, to me, is a bigger problem.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,477

Post#1903 » by doclinkin » Wed Nov 8, 2023 5:36 pm

WallToWall wrote:
nate33 wrote:I knew the roster was structurally designed to fail because of a total lack of interior defense from the center position, but I didn't expect it to go this successfully! At this point, it's getting embarrassing. We are the worst defense in the league, and our DRtg is 8.6 points/100 lower than the NBA average.

Is it time to make a move and acquire a real NBA center? Heck, a bench rider like Alex Len might be able to start for us. Where is Mo Wagner when you need him?

Although we have a problem at C (interior D), we have a bigger problem on the perimeter. We need to pair Poole with a taller, defensive oriented, PG. The backcourt of Poole and Jones is killing us on D. That, to me, is a bigger problem.

I'd say the problem is largely Poole. Multiple possessions in a row he will lose his assignment, get lazy, get blown past, etc. Then he jacks up shots at the other end early in the clock and the long rebound leads to a transition bucket. Teams know to force a switch to face him. He really seems like he is sleepwalking out there. Depressed and distracted. You hope he breaks out of it, and I expect the team to ride it out, hoping he catches a hot streak, but given that his shot is not even falling he adds nothing but trouble to the starting 5. Worse, he takes the ball out of the hands of Tyus Jones, who is the other players' best shot at getting an efficient bucket. A bad model for young players on the team. Problem is from a coaching perspective I don't think they sit him without killing his confidence. But anybody else in that spot would be better. Landry Shamet? Corey Kispert? Johnny D? Anyone.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,685

Post#1904 » by nate33 » Wed Nov 8, 2023 5:44 pm

doclinkin wrote:
WallToWall wrote:

I'd say the problem is largely Poole. Multiple possessions in a row he will lose his assignment, get lazy, get blown past, etc. Then he jacks up shots at the other end early in the clock and the long rebound leads to a transition bucket. Teams know to force a switch to face him. He really seems like he is sleepwalking out there. Depressed and distracted. You hope he breaks out of it, and I expect the team to ride it out, hoping he catches a hot streak, but given that his shot is not even falling he adds nothing but trouble to the starting 5. Worse, he takes the ball out of the hands of Tyus Jones, who is the other players' best shot at getting an efficient bucket. A bad model for young players on the team. Problem is from a coaching perspective I don't think they sit him without killing his confidence. But anybody else in that spot would be better. Landry Shamet? Corey Kispert? Johnny D? Anyone.

If it's true that Poole is the primary problem, then I think Wes should demote him to instant offense sixth man. We are a rebuilding team trying to establish a new culture and identity. We can't compromise that just to spare the confidence of a guy who appears to have an inexhaustible supply of it. I'd rather have a terrible offense and a serviceable defense, then a streaky offense and consistently bad defense.

Give Kispert the starting nod. Or heck, if we really want to try and play competent D (and crappy O), let Davis start.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,477

Post#1905 » by doclinkin » Wed Nov 8, 2023 10:49 pm

nate33 wrote:If it's true that Poole is the primary problem

Watch him in a spotlight next game. Other teammates can play solid defense for their position for every second of the possession and then Poole will blow his assignment ruining everyone's effort. When it happens four-five times in a row people get frustrated and lose focus. They end up watching over their shoulder trying to recover for his inevitable xxxx-up.

then I think Wes should demote him to instant offense sixth man. We are a rebuilding team trying to establish a new culture and identity. We can't compromise that just to spare the confidence of a guy who appears to have an inexhaustible supply of it. I'd rather have a terrible offense and a serviceable defense, then a streaky offense and consistently bad defense.

Give Kispert the starting nod. Or heck, if we really want to try and play competent D (and crappy O), let Davis start.

I'd like to see it. He's not good at the 'instant offense' part either. Clanking shots etc.

Much as I dislike Draymond, he is the keystone of the W's defense in that he anticipates and covers for other's shortfalls, often before they become a problem. He's also vocal on defense so he will help quarterback the D from the back line. When you have a smart defensive Center with a leadership mindset, the rest of the team benefits. They can see the whole floor, while the perimeter defenders can't track the play that is developing behind them as easily.

Let Poole drop to the bench, get confidence by torching 2nd line players, then fight his way back into the finishing line-up if he catches a hot streak.

I just don't think the team will do it until it is clear the failures are ruining his outlook.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,389

Post#1906 » by dobrojim » Thu Nov 9, 2023 4:51 pm

half serious idea I had...
should our starting Gs be Wright and Shamet?
Shamet has looked really good (eye test only) and Jones might fare better in his trad role as backup.
I know this is partly based on a very small sample size, esp in Shamet's case.
Amazing game by Wright last night in CHA. Incredible efficiency.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Hibachi_0
Sophomore
And1: 92

Post#1907 » by Hibachi_0 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:18 am

I want to see more of the Bilal-Deni-Kuz at the 2-3-4, I think it could be the beginning of something really cool to watch. The only problem with this is you need a good scoring combo at the 1 and a reliable center (I don't completely rule out Gaff for this role). On paper, Poole should be the perfect fit for that, sadly to this moment, it is only on paper.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1908 » by nate33 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:39 am

I’d like to see Kispert starting in place of Poole. He is a much better team defender and can space the floor for the Tyus/Gafford pick and roll. Poole can come off the bench. Playing alongside Wright should help mitigate his defensive issues.

It also sends a message that Poole’s pathetic defense will not be tolerated.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#1909 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:40 am

nate33 wrote:I’d like to see Kispert starting in place of Poole. He is a much better team defender and can space the floor for the Tyus/Gafford pick and roll. Poole can come off the bench. Playing alongside Wright should help mitigate his defensive issues.

Couldn't agree more. And couldn't have less confidence that WUJ will do it.

I'd actually consider starting Shamet.
In Rizzo we trust
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 939

Post#1910 » by WallToWall » Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:43 am

nate33 wrote:I’d like to see Kispert starting in place of Poole. He is a much better team defender and can space the floor for the Tyus/Gafford pick and roll. Poole can come off the bench. Playing alongside Wright should help mitigate his defensive issues.

A Wright-Kispert-Avdija-Kuzma-Gafford may end being our best 5 man combo.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1911 » by nate33 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:17 pm

WallToWall wrote:

A Wright-Kispert-Avdija-Kuzma-Gafford may end being our best 5 man combo.

I can see the argument that Wright has outplayed Tyus Jones so far this season, but I'm not quite sure if I believe it. We can't overlook that Tyus plays against starters and a Scouting Report while Wright has had the opportunity to run up some nice numbers in garbage time. For now, I'm content with Tyus starting. If nothing else, I think his pick-and-roll game is a good fit with Gafford and will help maximize Gafford when he is on the court.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1912 » by nate33 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:27 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:I'd actually consider starting Shamet.

I hear you. But if Shamet starts, one of Kispert, Poole or Bilal is going to drop out of the rotation.

I'm as annoyed with Poole as anyone and wouldn't mind if he got demoted out of the starting lineup, but it's a risky move to just glue him to the bench. The guy has talent. We still want to try and harness it, or at the very least, showcase it so we can trade him.

If Shamet plays regular minutes, I'm afraid Coulibaly might have to sit for a little while. It's not the end of the world. At some point, someone will get hurt or traded and free up minutes for Coulibaly.
remi_222
Pro Prospect
And1: 667

Post#1913 » by remi_222 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:32 pm

nate33 wrote:
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:I'd actually consider starting Shamet.

I hear you. But if Shamet starts, one of Kispert, Poole or Bilal is going to drop out of the rotation.

I'm as annoyed with Poole as anyone and wouldn't mind if he got demoted out of the starting lineup, but it's a risky move to just glue him to the bench. The guy has talent. We still want to try and harness it, or at the very least, showcase it so we can trade him.

If Shamet plays regular minutes, I'm afraid Coulibaly might have to sit for a little while. It's not the end of the world. At some point, someone will get hurt or traded and free up minutes for Coulibaly.

Perfect timing i'd say ! G League time for him for building confidence and averaging 5 blocks and some "'s and drives ! So he comes back starting to dare too much (finally) and ajust asap !
With him though, this whole thing can take a month, just needs a click !
Frank Nova
Head Coach
And1: 2,623

Post#1914 » by Frank Nova » Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:02 pm

Question for the Wiz fans, what is the take so far on Bilal Coulibaly? Obviously a small sample size considering the season is just under way but I wanted to get an idea of how you guys feel about his future in the league? Does anyone see any real star potential there or quality starter type or eventual bench warmer? I really liked him pre draft and was happy he went to Washington to be on a team I figured he’d get ample opportunity during his rookie season. His physical traits are off the charts and I’m just wondering if his game will catch up and if he’s showing signs already? Thanks.
RIP Kobe Forever. GOAT 8-24. Long Live Giannis
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,389

Post#1915 » by dobrojim » Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:35 pm

I think most here are pretty happy with the 19 yo kid. How far he will develop is an open question
but one can make arguments, based on really small sample size, he'll be at least a serviceable starter
and quite possibly more. We won't have the complete answer to your question for AT LEAST a year
if not longer. IIRC, he's the youngest player in the entire league. That he is already a rotation player
admittedly on an awful team, suggests he may turn out to be really good. But a lot of things need
to happen before we know.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1916 » by nate33 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:37 pm

Frank Nova wrote:Question for the Wiz fans, what is the take so far on Bilal Coulibaly? Obviously a small sample size considering the season is just under way but I wanted to get an idea of how you guys feel about his future in the league? Does anyone see any real star potential there or quality starter type or eventual bench warmer? I really liked him pre draft and was happy he went to Washington to be on a team I figured he’d get ample opportunity during his rookie season. His physical traits are off the charts and I’m just wondering if his game will catch up and if he’s showing signs already? Thanks.

He certainly looks to have what it takes to be an above-average starter as a 3&D role player. His defense is pretty good other than a lack of strength. And he is hitting 3's at a respectable clip (35%) so far this season. He is only 19 and is reportedly a hard worker who is driven to improve.

So, a starting-caliber 3&D forward is probably his floor. It's too early to tell what his ceiling is. There are no obvious limitations. It's possible that he could pan out as a Mikal Bridges tier star.
leswizards
Pro Prospect
And1: 212

Post#1917 » by leswizards » Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:08 pm

If it were up to me, this season would be divided into two: pre trade deadline and post trade deadline.

Pre trade deadline, Jones, Gallinari, Wright, Gafford, Gill, Muscala and Shamet would be given as many minutes as possible (as long as their production in those minutes are increasing their trade value). Everyone else on the team would get minutes based upon how their play increases the trade value of the above players.

Post trade deadline, Kuzma, Poole, Avidja, coulibaly, kispert, Rollins, Davis, and Baldwin jr would get as many minutes as possible. Everyone else on the roster would get minutes based upon how their minutes help the growth of the aforementioned players.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#1918 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:23 pm

leswizards wrote:If it were up to me, this season would be divided into two: pre trade deadline and post trade deadline.

Pre trade deadline, Jones, Gallinari, Wright, Gafford, Gill, Muscala and Shamet would be given as many minutes as possible (as long as their production in those minutes are increasing their trade value). Everyone else on the team would get minutes based upon how their play increases the trade value of the above players.

Post trade deadline, Kuzma, Poole, Avidja, coulibaly, kispert, Rollins, Davis, and Baldwin jr would get as many minutes as possible. Everyone else on the roster would get minutes based upon how their minutes help the growth of the aforementioned players.

I like the general concept. I'd edit the plan a bit, however.

Add to the deadline dump pile: Poole, Baldwin
Claw back from the dump pile: Gafford, Gill
Add to the force feed minutes pile: Geno, Butler.
Maybe add to the dump pile: Kispert

Why?

Keep all of the guys who are young AND play hard plus Gill for mentorship.

Result: trade chips - Poole, Galli, Musky, Baldwin, Jones, Wright, Shamet, Kispert. Could we get collectively 4-5 seconds and maybe another lottery ticket young'uns for those 8 players?

Roster going forward: Rollins, Davis, Avdija, Kuz, Gaff, Butler, Couli, Gill, Geno.
In Rizzo we trust
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,741

Post#1919 » by gambitx777 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:36 am

We really need more size and I can't help but really think that TV would have been so much better on this team than in the euro league.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1920 » by nate33 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:38 pm

gambitx777 wrote:We really need more size and I can't help but really think that TV would have been so much better on this team than in the euro league.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app

I think a bigger issue than size is the lack of organization and discipline. There are enough decent defenders on the roster to play competent defense, but they're really bad at handling screens - either switching too readily or showing for too long and taking too long to recover. They're not communicating well and the whole defense gets put in rotation on the simplest 2-man actions.

I suspect that one of the issues (other than Poole) is that Gafford is not quarterbacking the defense very well. I think things would get much worse if they put in an inexperienced rookie like Tristan Vukcevic.

Return to Washington Wizards