ImageImageImageImageImage

Coach Wes Unseld Jr, Appreciation Thread.

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

DCZards
RealGM
And1: 4,035

Re: Coach Wes Unseld Jr, Appreciation Thread. 

Post#181 » by DCZards » Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:38 pm

^^^^Wes Jr. is neither a “great” coach nor an “incompetent” coach. He’s an improving coach in his second yr on the job. I see and appreciate Wes Jr’s growth as a coach/leader.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,468

Post#182 » by NatP4 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:35 pm

payitforward wrote:Weird to me how much anti-WUJ stuff has been hurled here during a run where we've gone 17-10. That's @ a 52-win pace.

Wait, now they are playing at a 50 win pace? Because you say so?

:lol: :lol:
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,991

Post#183 » by payitforward » Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:03 pm

NatP4 wrote:
payitforward wrote:Weird to me how much anti-WUJ stuff has been hurled here during a run where we've gone 17-10. That's @ a 52-win pace.

??
try your calculator: 17 divided by 27 times 82 = 51.63
I.e. in those 27 games, we are playing at that pace.

On the season as a whole we have played at a 40-win pace.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,468

Post#184 » by NatP4 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:30 pm

payitforward wrote:
NatP4 wrote:

??
try your calculator: 17 divided by 27 times 82 = 51.63
I.e. in those 27 games, we are playing at that pace.

On the season as a whole we have played at a 40-win pace.

I pointed all of this out a few days ago, and you had a huge issue with the logic. I don’t understand what changed?

Now we can put weight into the last 2 month stretch?
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 939

Post#185 » by WallToWall » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:51 pm

WallToWall wrote:
DCZards wrote:
WallToWall wrote:I’m done with WUJ.
He can’t figure out rotations, can’t stick with a hot hand, favors his former players, can’t figure out when to call timeouts, can’t make adjustments. Coaching matters, and he doesn’t have it to be a head coach (yet). Nice guy, and well spoken, but he has to go.

What former players does he favor? Barton is collecting DNPs and Morris is getting quality minutes…as he should because he’s playing well.

I was referring to Morris. I don’t think Morris is playing well on D. He should fall behind Goodwin on the depth chart, yet he gets (undeserved) playing time. He is not a 28min/game player, which is what he is averaging.

My bad here. I did not understand that we couldn’t play Goodwin till he was signed to his new contract. I thought he was playable, and WUJ just didn’t, for whatever reason.
WUJ suxs less. And I appreciate that. This being the appreciation thread and all.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 7,004

Post#186 » by FAH1223 » Wed Apr 5, 2023 6:06 am

Read on Twitter

Tommy and Wes have their contracts signed through 2024-25.

Tommy has a team option for 2025-26.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,968

Post#187 » by Frichuela » Wed Apr 5, 2023 11:13 am

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

This is to be followed by paying Kuzma $30 mn/year in the off-season and potentially trading Deni for peanuts by the next trade deadline as we won’t have money to give him a second contract…Thank you Turd…you moron :banghead:

Another 35 win season in the horizon…yupeee.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,968

Post#188 » by Frichuela » Wed Apr 5, 2023 6:47 pm

This comment exemplifies how Turd runs this franchise: “family and friends”, cronyism to the hilt…

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=5fQRkeDdqVyQ8DjHYGHiFg
payitforward
RealGM

Post#189 » by payitforward » Wed Apr 5, 2023 7:39 pm

WUJ has had an excellent coaching career in the NBA. He's succeeded at every assistant level & been highly regarded. There are only so many head coaching jobs, but it would certainly not have been a surprise if he'd been hired somewhere else.

So why is it "cronyism" if he's hired here?

Now... no one can deny that his family's history w/ the Wizards was appealing to Ted's marketing mind. But, there's no reason to think that w/o that history he would have been a sub-par candidate, & I haven't heard anybody suggest the name of someone who should have been hired instead of Wes -- except a few obvious names of guys with 20-30 years history as head coaches in the league.

What makes the Wizards a bad team is simple: we have bad players. A team can't be better than its players. Not possible. If we'd managed the last 4 drafts well, & if we'd been smart enough to move Kuzma on for an extra R1 pick when it was possible, we'd be a ton better now & our future would also look better.

No point in targeting Wes Unseld Jr. He had nothing to do with the bad decisions that got us where we are, & no one could have coached this crew to any kind of success.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,685

Post#190 » by nate33 » Wed Apr 5, 2023 7:42 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yeah, this is no surprise at all. Wes hasn't been overtly awful anyhow. He does not appear to have lost the locker room, and the team isn't significantly playing below their talent level if you ignore the last 3 tanking losses. They were 34-42 with 6 games to go and on pace for 36 wins in a season where Beal missed 32 games. Is that really a lot worse than expected? Vegas had them at 35.5 wins.

Also, it's pretty rare to can a coach when he has two full years left on his deal and hasn't been a total catastrophe. If they're even contemplating firing Wes, they will wait until next summer, or I suppose they could do it midseason if there is a 12 game losing streak or something. But firing him now was never seriously a consideration.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#191 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Wed Apr 5, 2023 10:29 pm

nate33 wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yeah, this is no surprise at all. Wes hasn't been overtly awful anyhow. He does not appear to have lost the locker room, and the team isn't significantly playing below their talent level if you ignore the last 3 tanking losses. They were 34-42 with 6 games to go and on pace for 36 wins in a season where Beal missed 32 games. Is that really a lot worse than expected? Vegas had them at 35.5 wins.

Also, it's pretty rare to can a coach when he has two full years left on his deal and hasn't been a total catastrophe. If they're even contemplating firing Wes, they will wait until next summer, or I suppose they could do it midseason if there is a 12 game losing streak or something. But firing him now was never seriously a consideration.

Not overtly awful is pretty good for this franchise.

Of course, we could take a bigger swing at someone like Jay Wright. Nah.
In Rizzo we trust
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,191

Post#192 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Apr 6, 2023 4:45 am

nate33 wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Barton has a decision to make. He can either accept a Udonis Haslem type mentor who very seldom if ever plays; or, he can request a trade to a contender. Barring trades there’s no way he beats out Wright or Jordan Godwin. Deni is far more effective than Will Barton. Rui is killing it. Kuzma at SF means Barton is out.

Barton SHOULD ask to be traded to the Lakers for a 2nd rounder. Them or another team out west.

Who the hell is Barton and why should he have standing to ask to be traded anywhere? Barton is a professional basketball player. His job is to show up to work and do his best to earn the $14M he is being paid. That's it. If he is not getting minutes, he needs to play better.

Barton will be a free agent this summer. He will then have the opportunity to join a contender if he wishes, but it will most likely be on a vet minimum contract.
Barton agreed to be bought out. Toronto bought in on what's left of Barton.

Sent from my SM-A146U using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,985

Post#193 » by TGW » Thu Apr 6, 2023 1:13 pm

The real question is does the guy he reports to get fired?
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#194 » by payitforward » Thu Apr 6, 2023 1:22 pm

Welcome back, CCJ !!
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,191

Post#195 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Apr 6, 2023 7:12 pm

payitforward wrote:Welcome back, CCJ !!
Thanks!

Bye bye Beal.
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,167

Post#196 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Thu Apr 6, 2023 11:02 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
nate33 wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yay! We get another season to watch our nepo baby hire flail.

Not surprising in the least, though. Completely on script with this franchise.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,685

Post#197 » by nate33 » Fri Apr 7, 2023 12:53 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
nate33 wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Barton has a decision to make. He can either accept a Udonis Haslem type mentor who very seldom if ever plays; or, he can request a trade to a contender. Barring trades there’s no way he beats out Wright or Jordan Godwin. Deni is far more effective than Will Barton. Rui is killing it. Kuzma at SF means Barton is out.

Barton SHOULD ask to be traded to the Lakers for a 2nd rounder. Them or another team out west.

Who the hell is Barton and why should he have standing to ask to be traded anywhere? Barton is a professional basketball player. His job is to show up to work and do his best to earn the $14M he is being paid. That's it. If he is not getting minutes, he needs to play better.

Barton will be a free agent this summer. He will then have the opportunity to join a contender if he wishes, but it will most likely be on a vet minimum contract.
Barton agreed to be bought out. Toronto bought in on what's left of Barton.

Yes. That was my point. Barton did not have the juice to force a trade. He had to take a buyout (presumably at some small savings for Washington) in order to go to a new team.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#198 » by FAH1223 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:05 pm

payitforward wrote:Actually, Barton was even worse with Toronto than with us. Go look at the per 36 minute numbers, & I bet it'll be obvious.

Rui played a bit better in LA, I agree. But the entire difference is in slightly better rebounding & slightly fewer turnovers. I don't know how either can be attributed to a change in coaches.

In any case, both Wright & Morris had extremely good seasons under WUJ. Beal was at his career best the first half of the season. Porzingis produced. Jordan Goodwin blossomed.

I'm not saying WUJ is "a good coach." But we have a terrible roster overall, & I don't see how it can be said that we under-produced as a team. We'd have to see a different coach somehow produce more wins w/ these guys to come to any kind of conclusion.

Look at an acclaimed coach like Popovich. The guy has multiple rings, but he won 22 games this year. Because of his players.

Read on Twitter
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,364

Post#199 » by Kanyewest » Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:19 pm

CntOutSmrtCrazy wrote:
nate33 wrote:

Jay Wright was Shepard's number one target according to Thom Loverro back when they hired Wes, seems like he's happy with retirement for now.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#200 » by FAH1223 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:23 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
CntOutSmrtCrazy wrote:

Jay Wright was Shepard's number one target according to Thom Loverro back when they hired Wes, seems like he's happy with retirement for now.

Nice check from CBS, less stress, and he's over 60 years old. I'd be enjoying that life too.

Return to Washington Wizards