ImageImageImageImageImage

Coach Wes Unseld Jr, Appreciation Thread.

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Mizerooskie
Junior
And1: 36

Re: Coach Wes Unseld Jr, thread. 

Post#141 » by Mizerooskie » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:54 pm

nate33 wrote:The hard part is finding a competent GM. GM's talk. They know Ted is a horrible owner who is desperate to make the play-in every year rather than taking the time to rebuild the team properly.

Ted is the best owner a GM could work for. You can fail for the better part of two decades and keep your job. :lol:
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,380

Post#142 » by wco81 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:28 pm

Maybe that AOL money is running low and Leonis needs to profit.

Guess he isn't paying luxury taxes.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,741

Post#143 » by gambitx777 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:55 am

Start the Gilbert arenas as HC thread now lol

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,741

Post#144 » by gambitx777 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:14 am

Unfortunately he has the injury excuse. But he should be canned he's not good and I don't care much for him tbh.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,191

Post#145 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:36 pm

Dat2U wrote:
nate33 wrote:From the Lakers game thread:
Dat2U wrote:I can't look at this roster and blame Wes. I can't. We knew this was a 34/36 win team with perfect health.

On top of that Deni has regressed. Barton & Rui have been two of the worst rotation players in the league. Corey hasn't made any progress and the recent 10th pick is so bad, he's stinking up the NBDL.

Wes might not be a great coach but this roster of softies would likely look as bad with any coach.

The question is, why haven't Hachimura, Avdija and Kispert made any progress? How much of the blame can be pinned on Wes? Is he not putting them in position to succeed?

Why is Barton playing so much worse here? Why is KCP playing better in Denver? Why is Dinwiddie playing better in Dallas? Why has Gafford not improved since Brooks was around?

What's weird is that the team looked really good for the first 15 games in each of Wes' first two seasons. Then they crashed and burned. Is the system too complicated? Maybe Wes has a great system if he has the time to implement it in training camp. But teams eventually figure it out, and then he doesn't have the ability to tweak and adapt it to stay ahead of the Scouting Report.

Rui was never going to be good. Poor awareness dooms him to fringe role player status.

Deni is probably out of position at SF. He probably needs to be at PF stealing all of Rui's minutes. Is it the coaches fault he can't make open jumpers??? Its hard for me to blame the coach for that.

Same wirh Kispert, for having a rep as a knock down shooter, he sure misses alot of open looks. Is it on Wes that Kispert brings nothing to table if he's not scoring? We drafted this guy knowing he was basically a one trick pony.

Barton also was never much good. I think its fair to say playing with Jokic covered alot of flaws. KCP also is likely benefitting from playing with a true star and not being forced to create off the bounce as much.

Dinwiddie was very unpopular here. None of us know the whole story but its clear teammates did not like him, his feedback or the way he was running the offense and he definitely checked out after the first few weeks of the season.

Gafford is still performing better than his Bulls days but appears to be a train wreck offensively without a PG creating opportunities for him, he benefitted the most from Westbrook's penetration I think.

Bottom line, the players were discussing are all role players in some form or fashion. Nearly all of these guys need the right situation, the right roster fit around them to be successful. They are entirely dependent on others.

I have no idea if Wes is a good coach or not but this is clearly one of worst roster situations in the league the past two years.

You're wrong about Gafford but you're right he's better than Bull's days. YOUR BIAS is in the word Trainwreck. Saw this w McGee before he went Olympics and got 3 CHips. NO you're not right

Deni? I'd put him at rover. Locked into any positions is tied into ARCANE tradition. Why the same five every night? BOGUS lunacy like the French wearing red in guerilla warfare. Haiti general could see them fools coming same way the VC could smell our smokers NVM i am not a nam vet

GEEZ, I love you all.

I love you all but I'm sick of biting my tongue AND I KNOW DAMN WELL THEY DON'T WANT TO SEE JUST HOW FREAKING EASY things could be done DIFFERENTLY.

Maybe all the management courses, advanced degree ED courses, military leadership courses AND MY GETTING USED TO BE CALLED CRAZY here in HI and at the VA by people with a vested interest NOT ME.

Bottom line is I think Goodwin, Beal, Deni, Gaff, Porzingas would dominate because Gaff needs to work inside out while porzingis absolutely destroy outside in. Kuzma? I would make him the captain of the team and ASK KYLE how he would run it and NOT ONLY THAT he would be captain/coach on the floor some nights WITH THE CAVEAT team gets to critique after the fact.

The Wizards are always gonna stink.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/269745/Travis-Schlenk-Moving-Into-Advisor-Role;-Landry-Fields-To-Run-Hawks-Basketball-Ops
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#146 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:37 pm

Jr has a MY DAD excuse and his contract for a first time coach...

I would be a billion times better and I'm sick of following NBA.
Bye bye Beal.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 7,004

Post#147 » by FAH1223 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:58 pm

closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,573

Post#148 » by closg00 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:09 pm

Anybody know what Wes's contract is? The minimum NBA salary for a coach is $2M
popper
Veteran
And1: 367

Post#149 » by popper » Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:32 pm

Fans that pay for seats are enablers of Leonis' incompetent ownership. Things might improve if the arena was consistently empty.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,991

Post#150 » by payitforward » Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:17 am

Hey!
Welcome back popper!

To you -- to all of you -- merry Xmas, happy Hanukah, & above all a very happy Saturnalia.

(Saturnalia was an ancient Roman holiday which lasted a full week of mid-December & was marked by general revelry, jollity, gift-giving, & (above all) role reversals -- masters served meals to their slaves, etc.... The great Roman poet Catullus called Saturnalia "the best of times.")
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#151 » by FAH1223 » Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:47 am

closg00 wrote:Anybody know what Wes's contract is? The minimum NBA salary for a coach is $2M

Brooks was making $7M per year.

Someone I talked to who has sources at F Street said that Wes is getting about $4M per year.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,380

Post#152 » by wco81 » Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:53 am

Even if he got canned tomorrow with no more money to be paid, he could probably sell that property and at least get his money back.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,985

Post#153 » by TGW » Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:36 am

Good for Wes. I worked for an accounting firm that did his and his dad’s taxes about 20 years ago. He’s definitely come up.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
trast66
Rookie
And1: 614

Post#154 » by trast66 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:14 am

Wes is a fine coach, this is a very marginally talented team with limited athleticism. He has them bought in to doing what such a team should do to be competitive: minimize turnovers and fouls, and not give up easy 2 pt shots. Sounds simple but many coaches can’t achieve it. The team clearly did not quit on him during a long losing streak.
FAH1223
RealGM

Re: Coach Wes Unseld Jr. Appreciation Thread. 

Post#155 » by FAH1223 » Mon Jan 2, 2023 6:49 pm

nate33 wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:They better sign Goodwin. If not they’ll miss out. Jordan is gonna get a deal for sure somewhere.

As a Two-Way Contract guy, the Wizards effectively have a team option on him next summer at a vet-minimum salary (about $2M). He'll be back next year. Don't worry.

Nate can we rename this the

“Official Coach Wes Unseld Jr. Appreciation Thread”
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#156 » by FAH1223 » Mon Jan 2, 2023 6:50 pm

Have to give coach credit for the last week and half.

He’s pushing the right buttons and suddenly realized Barton is damaged goods.

Now he’s anti tank.
RealGM

Post#157 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Jan 2, 2023 6:55 pm

Yes. He coached them up fo sho.
Bye bye Beal.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,685

Post#158 » by nate33 » Mon Jan 2, 2023 6:59 pm

trast66 wrote:Wes is a fine coach, this is a very marginally talented team with limited athleticism. He has them bought in to doing what such a team should do to be competitive: minimize turnovers and fouls, and not give up easy 2 pt shots. Sounds simple but many coaches can’t achieve it. The team clearly did not quit on him during a long losing streak.

The Wizards are now the 11th ranked defense in the league. The Wizards haven't had a top 10 defense since Whitman was coach and Nene was the center.
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,167

Post#159 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Mon Jan 2, 2023 7:02 pm

FAH1223 wrote:Have to give coach credit for the last week and half.

He’s pushing the right buttons and suddenly realized Barton is damaged goods.

Now he’s anti tank.

Barton was so incredibly bad, his 20+ minutes a game were catastrophic.
RealGM

Re: Coach Wes Unseld Jr, Appreciation Thread. 

Post#160 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Jan 2, 2023 7:07 pm

Barton has a decision to make. He can either accept a Udonis Haslem type mentor who very seldom if ever plays; or, he can request a trade to a contender. Barring trades there’s no way he beats out Wright or Jordan Godwin. Deni is far more effective than Will Barton. Rui is killing it. Kuzma at SF means Barton is out.

Barton SHOULD ask to be traded to the Lakers for a 2nd rounder. Them or another team out west.
Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards