ImageImageImageImageImage

The Washington Commanders Thread

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,019

Re: The Washington Commanders Thread 

Post#101 » by Dark Faze » Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:03 pm

I don't think we can move forward until we legitimately look at our history and peg exactly what went wrong outside of a blanket "SNYDER!" statement.

I think that holds true only for the Shanahan era, which I think it's pretty clear that giving Kyle Shanahan unconditional control would have given us the best chance to win long term. Gruden actually wasn't that big of a step down imo. I look back at his tenure as being pretty terribly injury heavy on the back end and on the front end he was handicapped with trying to navigate the RG3 thing.

Ron has been mid AF all around. Barely memorable.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,742

Post#102 » by gambitx777 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:41 pm

Dark Faze wrote:I don't think we can move forward until we legitimately look at our history and peg exactly what went wrong outside of a blanket "SNYDER!" statement.

I think that holds true only for the Shanahan era, which I think it's pretty clear that giving Kyle Shanahan unconditional control would have given us the best chance to win long term. Gruden actually wasn't that big of a step down imo. I look back at his tenure as being pretty terribly injury heavy on the back end and on the front end he was handicapped with trying to navigate the RG3 thing.

Ron has been mid AF all around. Barely memorable.
Ron is imo out of touch and behind the times. He needs to go and we nnd to do something with the offensive line. Sam has a lot of talent. But if you can't protect him it pointless.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 112

Post#103 » by W. Unseld » Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:08 pm

A. Didn't see it by pure luck--sounds awful but imagine being Jacksonville w/all that talent and losing to Houston
B. No one wants our spare running backs (barring injuries) but Chase should have at least some trade value
C. Was it "let's see what the back up QB can do" bad?
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,655

Post#104 » by pancakes3 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:05 pm

no, it wasn't "give up on him" bad but sam did not play well. lots of coverage sacks from holding the ball too long, but also lots of pressure.

first INT, he couldn't clear the linebacker sitting in zone, and the LB made a great play, going up and getting the ball. bad read, mediocre throw, under pressure.

second INT, hot blitz coming, went to safety valve in the flat, safety playing man read it and jumped it. great play by defense, bad play by O-line in not adjusting to blitz, bad awareness by Sam in not reading blitz and getting the ball out faster. by the time Sam saw blitz coming, he floated it into the flat and got jumped.

third INT, under pressure and underthrew a corner route from 15 yard out, drive killer. doesn't look like he got hit in the arm, just shorted it.

fourth INT, broken down play, escaped pocket, got to outside the hash marks. DE covering RB steps up to contain Sam, Sam tries to throw it over DE to uncovered RB, DE is all of 6'6, snatches it out of the air and takes it in for a pick 6.

1st and 4th INT could be characterized as dumb misjudgments by a young QB not used to the athleticism of NFL players. 2nd INT was under duress, and I'd say is 50/50 blame between O-line and Sam, the defense just made a really good, smart play, and also coachingwise, just a perfect call by the defense to run against that particular play. The 3rd INT was really the unforced error and killed a good drive in the beginning of the second half where a comeback was still possible albeit unlikely. if all 4 INTs were like this one, yeah, I'd shut the book on him.

i looked it up and the Bills have two linebackers with multiple INTs thus far in the season; no other team has has any linebackers with multiple int's (and only 7 players with multiple INTs overall). 2 out of the 7 are Bills linebackers. and Sam's 4th INT went to a bills DE. huge advantage for the Buffalo Defense in that they have linebackers, and even DE's they can drop into coverage without having to come out in nickel/dime. better disguises, more flexible play options, and can bait QB's like how they did Sam into thinking plays are safe because "it's just a LB" there. it's Belichickian.
Bullets -> Wizards
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,019

Post#105 » by Dark Faze » Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:11 pm

Counterpoint is Howell's best game of the season came against a team that gave up 70 points a week later.

I don't feel one way or the other about him, but I do think good QB's tend to flash early, then regress a bit as the film on them matures, and then they either sink or adjust from there. So starting out this poorly isn't a good sign.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#106 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:26 pm

It’s really hard to judge Sam behind that line. No time, no push, not much.

The thing is, I think Bienemy is really good, but the Manders seemed to latch on to something last year with a highly run first, straight ahead offense. It fit their personnel … Robinson is a great bruiser, a mediocre oline can be better at run blocking than pass blocking, and it kept the other team’s offense off of the field.

Of course, it didn’t get the ball to our best couple of players - Terry and Jahan - but it was complimentary football. Not the kind of play that wins Super Bowls these days, but enough to get you into the playoffs if a couple of things bounce right.

It’s a conundrum.
In Rizzo we trust
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,226

Post#107 » by Zonkerbl » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:56 pm

whoowhee your guys' team suxxors lol

I never really liked nfl football much in the first place but boy did watching the commies for the past 20 years just suck the joy right out of it
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#108 » by gambitx777 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:43 pm

I mean 2-1 doesn't suck lol we weren't even the top 5 worst blow out this week lol .
Trades need to happen.

LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 785

Post#109 » by LyricalRico » Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:12 am

I think the new-owner-effect is definitely on display. Under the old guy, last Sunday would have been a shutout. It's a new day! :D
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager

Post#110 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:16 am

LyricalRico wrote:I think the new-owner-effect is definitely on display. Under the old guy, last Sunday would have been a shutout. It's a new day! :D

Boo Rico. Just Boo.
In Rizzo we trust
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 112

Post#111 » by W. Unseld » Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:57 pm

I'll take that optimism, even if it's half joking
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 785

Post#112 » by LyricalRico » Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:14 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:I think the new-owner-effect is definitely on display. Under the old guy, last Sunday would have been a shutout. It's a new day! :D

Boo Rico. Just Boo.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

W. Unseld wrote:I'll take that optimism, even if it's half joking

:clap: :clap: :clap:
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager

Post#113 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Mon Oct 2, 2023 12:01 am

Truly a game of inches. McLaurin might have very well been in bounds
In Rizzo we trust
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#114 » by gambitx777 » Mon Oct 2, 2023 12:12 am

What an odd season ! 2 good solid wins, a blow out, and a gut reaching OT loss that could very well have been a win.

queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,074

Post#115 » by queridiculo » Fri Oct 6, 2023 2:05 am

How is the maga coordinator fielding yet another underachieving unit still a thing?
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,389

Post#116 » by dobrojim » Fri Oct 6, 2023 11:51 am

Commanders highly touted D-line is underperforming. They have moments but letting CHI
score at will doesn't back up the claim that their defense is any good. I'm mean everytime
CHI needed a big play, the defense allowed it, on the ground or in the air. Sad.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,985

Post#117 » by TGW » Fri Oct 6, 2023 4:02 pm

Time for Ron and Del Rio to pack it up. Like the Wizards, we've seen how this plays out. Elevate Bienemmy to HC and get an interim DC in here to finish the season out.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#118 » by gambitx777 » Fri Oct 6, 2023 5:42 pm

It sucks that Sam Howell is actually playing well and the del Rio is just **** the bed. That OL is horrible they need to get any serviceable vet off the street signed and make some trade for someone on the line. asap!

popper
Veteran
And1: 367

Post#119 » by popper » Fri Oct 6, 2023 6:39 pm

gambitx777 wrote:It sucks that Sam Howell is actually playing well and the del Rio is just **** the bed. That OL is horrible they need to get any serviceable vet off the street signed and make some trade for someone on the line. asap!

Yeah. Rivera's poor personnel decisions (especially on the OL and LB positions) have doomed the team to another year of mediocrity. I don't think you can retool at this point in the season. I look at it as a tank year. Rivera and DC need to go ASAP. I agree that Howell has potential. He would reach that potential a lot faster with a good O-line.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#120 » by gambitx777 » Fri Oct 6, 2023 9:48 pm

popper wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:It sucks that Sam Howell is actually playing well and the del Rio is just **** the bed. That OL is horrible they need to get any serviceable vet off the street signed and make some trade for someone on the line. asap!

Yeah. Rivera's poor personnel decisions (especially on the OL and LB positions) have doomed the team to another year of mediocrity. I don't think you can retool at this point in the season. I look at it as a tank year. Rivera and DC need to go ASAP. I agree that Howell has potential. He would reach that potential a lot faster with a good O-line.
Yeah he almost beat the eagles out of spite and the **** we have taken were not his fault!

There are a lot of lineman up for trade

Return to Washington Wizards