2024 Draft Thread - Part II

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,191

Re: 2024 Draft Thread - Part II 

Post#481 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun May 19, 2024 1:28 am

tontoz wrote:
Endless Loop wrote:Risacher averaged 10 points, 4 rebounds, and an assist this season.

Count me unimpressed with one game, just when it's time to get paid. In fact, the opposite.

On tankathons mock draft if you click on a player you can see their stats, strengths and weaknesses. The strengths are in green and the weaknesses are in red.

For Risacher the only thing green is his age and 3s yet they have him number one. Go figure.

Tankathon makes Donovan Clingan look dominating in everything but NBA 3-PT shooting.

https://www.tankathon.com/players/donovan-clingan
Bye bye Beal.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,999

Post#482 » by tontoz » Sun May 19, 2024 1:58 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
tontoz wrote:
Endless Loop wrote:Risacher averaged 10 points, 4 rebounds, and an assist this season.

Count me unimpressed with one game, just when it's time to get paid. In fact, the opposite.

On tankathons mock draft if you click on a player you can see their stats, strengths and weaknesses. The strengths are in green and the weaknesses are in red.

For Risacher the only thing green is his age and 3s yet they have him number one. Go figure
Tankathon makes Donovan Clingan look dominating in everything but NBA 3-PT shooting.

https://www.tankathon.com/players/donovan-clingan

I like Clingan but he really didn't play that much for a top player. His lack of playing time is concerning. Have to wonder about his foot issue.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 935

Post#483 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun May 19, 2024 2:43 am

ZACCHARIE RISACHER SCOUTING REPORT

"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,477

Post#484 » by doclinkin » Sun May 19, 2024 2:53 am

NatP4 wrote:
nate33 wrote:
Don't overthink it. Good players are good players. Sheppard has elite advanced stats for a freshman. That usage can scale up.

Something to consider: Topic is over a year younger than Sheppard putting up equally impressive numbers against better competition in a professional league.

Again, deeply disagree on the caliber of players in the ABA. I think you overestimate the talent of that league. You may have adults and professionals, yes, but they are not the fastest, quickest, no where near the quality of athlete that Sheppard faced.

https://basketball.realgm.com/international/league/18/Adriatic-League-Liga-ABA/players

Sort by NBA draft status or by country to find the US players. You're not playing against 1st round draft picks in the ABA. Frank the Tank and a toothless Shabazz Napier are the highest picks, after they petered out at an NBA level.

Vs Sheppard who faced a collection of probable high picks and likely NBA players.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/4711272/reed-sheppard

Knecht.
Furphy, McCullar. Dickinson.
Kyshawn George
Johni Broome
Mark Sears

A little guy like Mark Sears could own that league. Norchad Omier of Miami or Armondo Bacot of the heels would beast on the boards at that level. If you look at the NCAA talent playing in that league, you won't find a high level Div 1 guy in the bunch. I think Kansas's squad could beat ABA teams. Kentucky could win the title.

The best NBA level athletes play in the NCAA. The majority of the league is still filled with guys who played in college here. March Madness in particular is a crucible for top talent. There's a reason the best young overseas players come here to play. They are showcased against the best athletes. When the best of these athletes move on after school, if they don't make the league, or if they do for a time but don't stick, they don't land in the ABA after.

I agree when we see players succeeding in Euroleague competition at a young age, its a sign of potential upside. Or if they come up through the Spanish teams and earn significant roles while young, I pay attention. Maybe France now. Ever since Tony Parker has become involved in building the French teams I think that system has begun to improve. Early to say if it translates yet.

But until a player shows up strong against Euroleague teams or in World Championships/Olympic play, they are not facing the best talent or the toughest teams. It is tough to gauge how that translates. You can't just say 'pro' as if that automatically equals high level play. Not against guys like I dunno, Kevin Punter, or Fletcher Magee, or the Serbian equivalent.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,471

Post#485 » by NatP4 » Sun May 19, 2024 3:28 am

That’s obviously a delusional take. Kentucky could not even beat Oakland University. They would have no chance whatsoever against the KK Partizan roster:

PJ Dozier: 6 seasons in the NBA
Bruno Caboclo: 1st round pick 20th overall (higher pick than Napier)
Yogi Ferell: 7 seasons in the NBA
Ognjen Jaramaz: 2nd round pick 58th overall
Frank Kaminsky: 1st round pick 9th overall (NCAA All American/player of the year)
Balsa Kopeivica: 2nd round pick 57th overall
Yam Madar: 2nd round pick 47th overall
James Nunnally: 5 seasons in the NBA
Kevin Punter: (first team all SEC)
Alen Smailagic: 2nd round pick 39th overall
Tristan Vukcevic: 2nd round pick 42nd overall

And again, Kentucky is a top 25 ranked NCAA team/3 seed in the tournament, with multiple future top 10 picks. They SHOULD be competitive in the ABA. Let’s also talk about Texas A&M Commerce, Stonehill, UNC Wilmington, and Penn, teams that Kentucky played against this year.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,471

Post#486 » by NatP4 » Sun May 19, 2024 3:46 am

doclinkin wrote:If you look at the NCAA talent playing in that league, you won't find a high level Div 1 guy in the bunch. I think Kansas's squad could beat ABA teams. Kentucky could win the title.

Just because this is such a ridiculous and incorrect statement, I’ll also give you the Crvena Zvezda roster:

Nemanja Bjelica: 2nd round pick 35th overall, 8 seasons in the NBA
Joel Bolomboy: 2nd round pick 52nd overall
Freddie Gillespie: 2 seasons in the NBA
Adam Hanga: 2nd round pick, 59th overall
Ognen Kuzmic: 2nd round pick, 52nd overall
Luka Mitrovic: 2nd round pick, 60th overall
Shabazz Napier: 1st round pick, 24th overall
Nemanja Nedovic: 1st round pick, 30th overall
Marko Simonovic: 2nd round pick, 44th overall
Javonte Smart: 3 seasons in the NBA
Milos Teodosic: 2 seasons in the NBA
Trey Thompkins: 2nd round pick 37th overall

Never mind their NCAA stats. They would mop the floor with Kentucky or Kansas, or any NCAA team ever.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,991

Post#487 » by payitforward » Sun May 19, 2024 4:01 am

DCZards wrote:
payitforward wrote:Since 2010, off the top of my head, the guys who've most out-performed their pick positions are: Paul George, Jimmy Butler, Kawhi Leonard, Draymond Green, Khris Middleton, Giannis, SG-A, & Haliburton. I've probably missed someone..."

Yes you missed someone. The player who out-performed his pick position more than anyone on your list--Joker. But you're forgiven. :)

Big whiff!! Not the only one either. Really have to put Gobert on that list!

Plenty of others as well -- but not to such an extreme degree.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,287

Post#488 » by AFM » Sun May 19, 2024 4:10 am

payitforward wrote:
DCZards wrote:
payitforward wrote:Since 2010, off the top of my head, the guys who've most out-performed their pick positions are: Paul George, Jimmy Butler, Kawhi Leonard, Draymond Green, Khris Middleton, Giannis, SG-A, & Haliburton. I've probably missed someone..."

Yes you missed someone. The player who out-performed his pick position more than anyone on your list--Joker. But you're forgiven. :)

Big whiff!! Not the only one either. Really have to put Gobert on that list!

Plenty of others as well -- but not to such an extreme degree.

Only a mea culpa from pif could happen at such early hours. can someone screenshot this?????
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 865

Post#489 » by 9 and 20 » Sun May 19, 2024 9:53 am

Last year, the Pacers extracted 2 second round picks from us to move up one spot so we could grab Bilal. Any chance we could get the Spurs to do the same for Rissacher? Maybe more than 2 seconds, since 4 to 2 is a bigger jump. Rissacher seems like a good fit with Wembanyama, both on his game and the French connection.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,210

Post#490 » by Dat2U » Sun May 19, 2024 12:19 pm

The more I analyze it, the more I prefer Zach Edey to Donovan Clingan. I don't think either is full time 30+ min a game C but in 20-24 minutes a night, I can see Edey efficiently wrecking havoc against backup Cs across the league, he's just so skilled ... enough so that he can possibly get away with being a middlin defender as long as the effort is there.

I keep coming back to the fact Clingan cannot shoot fts (so suggesting he'll develop a 3 is a real longshot), he didn't play heavy minutes at UConn and got cooked by Edey in the NCAA tourney.

Clingan feels like a terrible reach in the top 3. Edey even late lottery seems like a significantly better value.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#491 » by tontoz » Sun May 19, 2024 1:33 pm

Dat2U wrote:The more I analyze it, the more I prefer Zach Edey to Donovan Clingan. I don't think either is full time 30+ min a game C but in 20-24 minutes a night, I can see Edey efficiently wrecking havoc against backup Cs across the league, he's just so skilled ... enough so that he can possibly get away with being a middlin defender as long as the effort is there.

I keep coming back to the fact Clingan cannot shoot fts (so suggesting he'll develop a 3 is a real longshot), he didn't play heavy minutes at UConn and got cooked by Edey in the NCAA tourney.

Clingan feels like a terrible reach in the top 3. Edey even late lottery seems like a significantly better value.

Cooked is a stretch. Edey scored 16 in the last 10 minutes when the game was already over. Clingan wasn't even on him for a lot of those points.

Prior to that Edey's efficiency wasn't good. After his hot start he struggled. Meanwhile on the other end.

Those are just from the first half. I could have made several more but I just got tired of it.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#492 » by Dat2U » Sun May 19, 2024 1:45 pm

tontoz wrote:
Dat2U wrote:The more I analyze it, the more I prefer Zach Edey to Donovan Clingan. I don't think either is full time 30+ min a game C but in 20-24 minutes a night, I can see Edey efficiently wrecking havoc against backup Cs across the league, he's just so skilled ... enough so that he can possibly get away with being a middlin defender as long as the effort is there.

Cooked is a stretch. Edey scored 16 in the last 10 minutes when the game was already over. Clingan wasn't even on him for a lot of those points.

Prior to that Edey's efficiency wasn't good. After his hot start he struggled. Meanwhile on the other end.

Those are just from the first half. I could have made several more but I just got tired of it.

I remember watching Blake Griffin 'defend' at Oklahoma. Literally did not move on many occasions or give a 2nd effort. Why? Coaches made it clear to him is availability was more important than challenging every shot. Some kids take it to the extreme but Edey's job was to stay on the floor no matter what. In the NBA, of course his offensive role will be streamlined and he'll be expected to challenge every shot. He seems smart enough to adjust based on what I've seen.

Also note I'm not suggesting Edey in the top 3 or 5. I'm just looking at the collective skillsets of these draftable Cs and trying to figure out why people like one of the least skilled bigs of the group (Clingan) so damn much! Give me Holmes at 26 before Clingan in the top 5 (or even 15).
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,573

Post#493 » by closg00 » Sun May 19, 2024 1:47 pm

Watching the game slip-away from OKC last night, I thought that they could have used Edey, Edey would be a game-changer for them.

Watching Edey highlights, wasn't the man coached? That was some horrific D being played there after 4-years....
tontoz
RealGM

Post#494 » by tontoz » Sun May 19, 2024 2:01 pm

Dat2U wrote:
I remember watching Blake Griffin 'defend' at Oklahoma. Literally did not move on many occasions or give a 2nd effort. Why? Coaches made it clear to him is availability was more important than challenging every shot. Some kids take it to the extreme but Edey's job was to stay on the floor no matter what. In the NBA, of course his offensive role will be streamlined and he'll be expected to challenge every shot. He seems smart enough to adjust based on what I've seen.

Also note I'm not suggesting Edey in the top 3 or 5. I'm just looking at the collective skillsets of these draftable Cs and trying to figure out why people like one of the least skilled bigs of the group (Clingan) so damn much! Give me Holmes at 26 before Clingan in the top 5 (or even 15).

Griffin didn't defend worth a damn in the NBA either. He wasn't a shot blocker. Blake wasn't 7'4 with a 9'7 standing reach. At that height I expect a guy to at least put his hands up ffs.

I made the point weeks ago that a lot of good defensive Cs have been taken outside the lottery and listed a bunch of them. Given this draft is weaker that makes it easier to take one higher but I can't endorse Clingan at 2. In a trade down scenario sure.

Count me in on Holmes at 26.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,687

Post#495 » by nate33 » Sun May 19, 2024 2:29 pm

tontoz wrote:

Yeah, IIRC, Edey posted Clingan with success a couple of times in the first 5 minutes, but Clingan seemed to figure him out after that and Edey really didn't score on him any more. Edey's points came when Clingan was out of the game.

I'm not saying that means we should draft Clingan at #2 or anything. I'm just saying that the narrative that Edey toasted Clingan has been overstated (not just by Dat2U).
tontoz
RealGM

Post#496 » by tontoz » Sun May 19, 2024 2:54 pm

I like Clingan. He is huge with a good motor on defense which is exactly what you want from a center. There aren't many guys with a 9'7 standing reach that also have a strong frame and good motor.

Plus there would be no fit issues. No overlap with anyone on the roster.

Where would I be willing to pick him? In this draft if we had the 8th pick I wouldnt hesitate to take him. Higher than that I might do it depending on who's available. At 2 I just can't.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,191

Post#497 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun May 19, 2024 3:13 pm

NatP4 wrote:That’s obviously a delusional take. Kentucky could not even beat Oakland University. They would have no chance whatsoever against the KK Partizan roster:

PJ Dozier: 6 seasons in the NBA
Bruno Caboclo: 1st round pick 20th overall (higher pick than Napier)
Yogi Ferell: 7 seasons in the NBA
Ognjen Jaramaz: 2nd round pick 58th overall
Frank Kaminsky: 1st round pick 9th overall (NCAA All American/player of the year)
Balsa Kopeivica: 2nd round pick 57th overall
Yam Madar: 2nd round pick 47th overall
James Nunnally: 5 seasons in the NBA
Kevin Punter: (first team all SEC)
Alen Smailagic: 2nd round pick 39th overall
Tristan Vukcevic: 2nd round pick 42nd overall

And again, Kentucky is a top 25 ranked NCAA team/3 seed in the tournament, with multiple future top 10 picks. They SHOULD be competitive in the ABA. Let’s also talk about Texas A&M Commerce, Stonehill, UNC Wilmington, and Penn, teams that Kentucky played against this year.

Thanks for this bit of nostalgia, NatP4. There's names I would not recall otherwise.

I can hardly believe Yogi Ferrell has played 7 in 7 NBA seasons. I remember his battles against Melo Trimble, who I had hoped would make it to the league.

A couple of other names are guys who had strong NCAA play before their NBA careers. PJ Dozier at South Carolina and Frank Kaminsky. On the subject of varying leagues and level of competition, I believe there are all manner of NBA-caliber talents abroad. Guaranteed contracts and competition for playing time drives gifted players to other leagues. Also, the fascination with the current draft year makes undrafted players soon forgotten.

The year the Wizards drafted Jan Vesely, his teammate James Gist was better. Much, much better.

Around the same time the Wizards wasted a draft pick on Chris Singleton, there was a player they signed named James Singleton. Performance alone, that dude straight balled out.

I think instead of viewing rebuilding solely on what YOU THINK Sarr or Risacher (sp?) or Topic will be; it is wise to add some solid journeymen. Garrett Temple comes to mind.

I'm ranting. Out for now.
Bye bye Beal.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#498 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun May 19, 2024 3:22 pm

Some non-Wizards draft perspectives on Risacher...

SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#499 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun May 19, 2024 3:51 pm

(edit)

My ideal draft I'm looking at something like this.

Wizards trade down with SA: pick 2 for picks 4 + 35 + 48.

Wizards package picks 48 + 51 to Hornets for pick 42.

At 4 Wizards take Stephon Castle

At 26 Wizards take Cam Christie

At 35 Wizards take Izan Amansa

At 42 Wizards take Adem Bona

Wizards Roster

C - Vukcevic / Bona
PF- Avdija / Almansa
SF- Coulibaly / Kispert
SG- Castle / Christie
PG- Poole / Butler
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#500 » by Dat2U » Sun May 19, 2024 4:14 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:My ideal draft I'm looking at something like this.

Wizards trade down with SA picks 2 + 51 for picks 4 + 35 + 48.

At 4 Wizards take Stephon Castle

---

At 26 Wizards take Cam Christie

---

At 35 Wizards take Izan Amansa

----

At 48 Wizards take Adem Bona

---

Wizards Roster

C - Vukcevic / Bona
PF- Avdija / Almansa
SF- Coulibaly / Kispert
SG- Castle / Christie
PG- Poole / Butler

Drafting 3 guys that cannot shoot? That's not a sustainable roster when it's hard to get away with more than one non-shooter one the floor at the same time.

Return to Washington Wizards