ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 Draft Thread - Part II

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,985

Re: 2024 Draft Thread - Part II 

Post#441 » by TGW » Fri May 17, 2024 7:38 pm

9 and 20 wrote:Dropping in here to complain about all these French guys. French players should be like Frederic Weis, forever stained with Vince Carter's skidmark on the forehead.

This is such an odd post. So Wemby, Gobert, Batum, and our own Bilal are trash?
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,287

Post#442 » by AFM » Fri May 17, 2024 7:42 pm

I took it as tongue in cheek. These frenchies coming over here taking over our league. Smh.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,999

Post#443 » by tontoz » Fri May 17, 2024 7:43 pm

These no ceilings guys are pretty good.

"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,685

Post#444 » by nate33 » Fri May 17, 2024 8:06 pm

TGW wrote:
9 and 20 wrote:Dropping in here to complain about all these French guys. French players should be like Frederic Weis, forever stained with Vince Carter's skidmark on the forehead.

This is such an odd post. So Wemby, Gobert, Batum, and our own Bilal are trash?

I thought it was mostly a joke. But to some degree, I think there's an element of truth to this. People are going overboard with the notion that the French leagues are producing all these great players. They've had a couple of physical freaks in Gobert and Wemby, but other than that, players from their system have been consistent busts. Here are all the French players who have been in the league since Rudy Gobert

Bilal Coulibaly
Rayan Rupert
Sidy Cissoko
Victor Wembanyama
Ousmane Dieng
Moussa Diabate
Malcolm Cazalon
Killian Hayes
Theo Maledon
Sekou Doumbouya
Joel Ayayi
Yves Pons
Jaylen Hoard
Olivier Sarr
Frank Ntilikina
Adam Mokoka
Killian Tillie
Elie Okobo
Guerschon Yabusele
Petr Cornelie
Damien Inglis
Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot
William Howard
Vincent Poirier
Evan Fournier
Axel Toupane
Rudy Gobert

That's a pretty bleak list that includes several first round busts like Dieng (#12), Hayes (#7), Doumbouya (#15), Ntilikina (#8) and Yabusele (#16). The only worthwhile players besides Wemby and Gobert are Fournier and (hopefully) Coulibaly.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,985

Post#445 » by TGW » Fri May 17, 2024 8:13 pm

Forget someone on that list? I recall a point guard from France that was pretty damn good. Won a few chips with the Spurs.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,991

Post#446 » by payitforward » Fri May 17, 2024 8:15 pm

Look, Consigliari, amico mio, if "experts" know in advance how "good" or "bad" drafts are, that must mean that they know how "good" or "bad" the guys in those drafts will be as NBA players. But, if they know how good/bad draft prospects will be in the league, please explain how they make so many mistakes in their picks. Every year.

For example: How did Paul George last until 10 in 2010? Were 9 better players taken before him? Was even one better player taken before him? In fact, how many players in that draft were better than Lance Stephenson? He was taken at 40. Were there 39 better players in that draft?

Why did Derrick Williams go at 2 the following year? For that matter, were Williams, Kanter, Tristan Thompson, Valanciunas, Vesely, Knight, Biyombo, Kemba, Fredette, Burks & both of the Morris twins, all of them, better than Kawhi Leonard? Was any of them? Even 1.

& were all 12 of those guys plus the next 14 guys picked -- Vucevic, Shumpert, Singleton, Harris, Motiejunas, Nolan Smith, Reggie Jackson, MarShon Brooks, Jordan Hamilton, JaJuan Johnson, Norris Cole & Cory Joseph & the other 2 I've missed -- all better than Jimmy Butler? How about the NEXT 29 guys taken? Were they better than Isaiah Thomas?

GMs are routinely unable to pick players in order of how good they'll be. They can't do it.

Here's an easy experiment to make this utterly clear:

Consigliari, please give me one list -- I ask for no more than one -- from any draft -- your choice which! -- of 5 guys taken in a row who wound up being "good" in the league in the same order that they were taken.

I.e. where the first one taken was better than the next guy taken in that draft, who was better than the guy taken right after him, who was better than the 4th guy on the list, who was better than the 5th. Just 1 list of 5 taken in a row anywhere in any draft of whom the above is true. That's all I ask.

But the fact is that you can't give such a list from any draft whatever. & neither can I. There isn't a single draft I can find where that's possible.

In fact, you can't give me a list of 4 in a row that meet the criterion.

Tell you what, let's make it "easy." Give me a list of 3 guys taken in a row, anywhere in any draft, where the 1st guy turned out to be a better player than the 2d, & the 2d turned out better than the 3d. They have to be taken right in a row.

You'd think it would be easy. But I doubt you can do it. Oh, & that's not because you in particular are unable -- I'm saying there is simply no such case! Period. It doesn't exist! I can't supply that list; you can't either. No one can!

Give it a try -- maybe you're smarter than me....
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,468

Post#447 » by NatP4 » Fri May 17, 2024 9:17 pm

TGW wrote:Forget someone on that list? I recall a point guard from France that was pretty damn good. Won a few chips with the Spurs.

Sarr, Risacher, Saluan, and Dadiet are all about to be 1st round picks. Nolan Traore is in play for the top pick in 2025 IMO.
jangles86
Starter
And1: 941

Post#448 » by jangles86 » Fri May 17, 2024 11:14 pm

When it’s all said and done and the Wizards are on the clock at pick 2 I think it’s going to be between Sarr or Rissacher. If both available I think we will go Sarr.

Both have the highest ceilings in the draft and that’s essentially where this franchise is at. We need to find a star.

Tidjane Saluan is also very intriguing. 6”10, and looks like he could still be growing, can step outside and hit shots, potentially a defensive monster. Trading up from 26 to get him has to be an option.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,685

Post#449 » by nate33 » Sat May 18, 2024 12:09 am

TGW wrote:Forget someone on that list? I recall a point guard from France that was pretty damn good. Won a few chips with the Spurs.

That list was since the drafting of Gobert. But yeah, if you go back further, there are a few more like Parker and Batum.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 4,035

Post#450 » by DCZards » Sat May 18, 2024 12:36 am

nate33 wrote:That's a pretty bleak list that includes several first round busts like Dieng (#12), Hayes (#7), Doumbouya (#15), Ntilikina (#8) and Yabusele (#16). The only worthwhile players besides Wemby and Gobert are Fournier and (hopefully) Coulibaly.

Knicks went all the way to France to find and draft Ntilikina…passing on the guy who grew up 30 mins from MSG (Donovan Mitchell). SMH
NatP4
RealGM

Post#451 » by NatP4 » Sat May 18, 2024 12:41 am

DCZards wrote:
nate33 wrote:That's a pretty bleak list that includes several first round busts like Dieng (#12), Hayes (#7), Doumbouya (#15), Ntilikina (#8) and Yabusele (#16). The only worthwhile players besides Wemby and Gobert are Fournier and (hopefully) Coulibaly.

Knicks went all the way to France to find and draft Ntilikina…passing on the guy who grew up 30 mins from MSG (Donovan Mitchell). SMH

And picked Kevin Knox over Mikal Bridges, SGA, and Michael Porter Jr in the following draft.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,999

Post#452 » by tontoz » Sat May 18, 2024 1:14 am

NatP4 wrote:
DCZards wrote:

And picked Kevin Knox over Mikal Bridges, SGA, and Michael Porter Jr in the following draft.

That really sucks. :lol:
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,968

Post#453 » by Frichuela » Sat May 18, 2024 1:23 am

If our front office is convinced his shot is potentially legit and that he can also develop into a competent pick and roll operator in a couple of seasons ,
then he should be in serious consideration for our pick.

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=GWeuz7j_sc5cBYZzdD92Tw

His stats look quite good vs. Jrue Holiday’s freshman season by the way..

https://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=stephon-castle--jrue-holiday
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,991

Post#454 » by payitforward » Sat May 18, 2024 1:34 am

Looks like he brings the ball below his waist on every attempt.
(Still like him...)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 934

Post#455 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat May 18, 2024 2:22 am

Ok, I would like to bring to your attention...

Cam Christie

Projected: 2nd round (The Ringer 38) & (Bleacher Report 44).

THE RINGER:

SHOOTING GUARD
HEIGHT 6'6"
WEIGHT 190
AGE 18.9

A 3-point sharpshooter with deep range and versatile shooting skills.

Pull-up Threat
Movement Shooter

Elite 3-point shooter (40%) with beautiful footwork, which gives him the ability to drain 3s off movement or even pull up off the dribble. As he continues to expand his skill set, he could end up being a menace off screens or even able to create his own shot.

Solid passer within the flow of the offense who looks comfortable handling on the perimeter.

Good defender with length. He plays hard and can make an impact on multiple positions on the perimeter and inside.

Brother of Lakers wing Max Christie.

"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 934

Post#456 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat May 18, 2024 3:12 am

"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 7,004

Post#457 » by FAH1223 » Sat May 18, 2024 3:21 am

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:https://www.monumentalsportsnetwork.com/article/bilal-coulibaly-scouts-french-nba-draft-prospects-alexandre-sarr-zaccharie-risacher

Read on Twitter

Bilal already being a Wizards scout. The kid is going to do it all!
NatP4
RealGM

Post#458 » by NatP4 » Sat May 18, 2024 11:53 am

NatP4
RealGM

Post#459 » by NatP4 » Sat May 18, 2024 12:09 pm

pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,590

Post#460 » by pcbothwel » Sat May 18, 2024 2:26 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:Ok, I would like to bring to your attention...

Cam Christie

Projected: 2nd round (The Ringer 38) & (Bleacher Report 44).

THE RINGER:

SHOOTING GUARD
HEIGHT 6'6"
WEIGHT 190
AGE 18.9

A 3-point sharpshooter with deep range and versatile shooting skills.

Pull-up Threat
Movement Shooter

Elite 3-point shooter (40%) with beautiful footwork, which gives him the ability to drain 3s off movement or even pull up off the dribble. As he continues to expand his skill set, he could end up being a menace off screens or even able to create his own shot.

Solid passer within the flow of the offense who looks comfortable handling on the perimeter.

Good defender with length. He plays hard and can make an impact on multiple positions on the perimeter and inside.

Brother of Lakers wing Max Christie.

I LOVE the kid.
He is a RARE shooter. Don’t just look at percentages. His form, fluidity, repeatability, and degree of difficulty overlayed with his percentages is in the Curry sphere.

Return to Washington Wizards