ImageImageImageImageImage

The (way too early) 2024 Draft thread. Woo! Tanking!

Moderators: montestewart, LyricalRico, nate33

9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 861

Re: The (way too early) 2024 Draft thread. Woo! Tanking! 

Post#1941 » by 9 and 20 » Sun May 12, 2024 8:54 pm

Glad the Pistons dropped to 5. They should not have been rewarded for that travesty of a season. Mostly happy for the Hawks. Loved that they went for it with Dejounte.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,485

Post#1942 » by mhd » Sun May 12, 2024 9:00 pm

nate33 wrote:
closg00 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:Lots of folks have them taking Zaccharie Risacher...

How do you feel about 2nd for 7 & 14?

Look at ATL's C depth chart, they are taking Sarr.

Atlanta has Capela and Okongwu making a combined $32M. I think their need for a quality scoring wing is greater than their need at center. That doesn't mean they won't take Sarr if they think he is BPA, but I don't think they'll take him simply because he plays center.

All that said, I think it's pretty likely that Sarr goes first. I'm not sure if Atlanta will pick him, but if they don't want him, I think they'll trade down. Interestingly, nobody else in the top 5 really needs a center except us. If Atlanta wants to trade down, but fears their guy will be gone if they trade down too far, then we might be the only team that they'd trade with. And if we're the only team, the cost to trade up may not be much, maybe a couple of SRP's.

I'm not saying I'm dying to trade up for Sarr. But I think the possibility is there, and that the cost won't be too high.

Actually, I think Houston does need a center (or at least a defensive center). They have every other position basically filled. I think Sarr would be great for them. Sarr/Clingan can play backup C and they need to consider battling Wemby anyways.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,153

Post#1943 » by dckingsfan » Sun May 12, 2024 9:20 pm

mhd wrote:
nate33 wrote:
closg00 wrote:

Atlanta has Capela and Okongwu making a combined $32M. I think their need for a quality scoring wing is greater than their need at center. That doesn't mean they won't take Sarr if they think he is BPA, but I don't think they'll take him simply because he plays center.

All that said, I think it's pretty likely that Sarr goes first. I'm not sure if Atlanta will pick him, but if they don't want him, I think they'll trade down. Interestingly, nobody else in the top 5 really needs a center except us. If Atlanta wants to trade down, but fears their guy will be gone if they trade down too far, then we might be the only team that they'd trade with. And if we're the only team, the cost to trade up may not be much, maybe a couple of SRP's.

I'm not saying I'm dying to trade up for Sarr. But I think the possibility is there, and that the cost won't be too high.

Actually, I think Houston does need a center (or at least a defensive center). They have every other position basically filled. I think Sarr would be great for them. Sarr/Clingan can play backup C and they need to consider battling Wemby anyways.

I think Sengun is Houston's long-term C. I would argue that their biggest need is a wing (although, I am sure they will take the BPA).
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,563

Post#1944 » by closg00 » Sun May 12, 2024 9:22 pm

nate33 wrote:
closg00 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:Lots of folks have them taking Zaccharie Risacher...

How do you feel about 2nd for 7 & 14?

Clint is expiring next-season and it is well-known that ATL will be shaking things up in some way this off-season, we shall see…
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,153

Post#1945 » by dckingsfan » Sun May 12, 2024 9:30 pm

NatP4 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:Why is there a roster crunch? Also, Bilal didn't start at the beginning of the season.

Topic, Poole, Butler
Kispert, Shamet, Davis
Avdija, Coulibaly
Kuzma, Vukcevic, Baldwin
Bagley, Holmes

I assume Butler will be in the rotation to start the year, he’s earned it, but he could play either guard position, even potentially start alongside Topic.

Subtract Kuzma via trade. Avdija starts at the 4, Bilal at the 3. Go get Pacome Dadiet.

Topic Poole
Butler Kispert
Coulibaly Dadiet
Avdija Vukcevic
Bagley Holmes

I think we will eventually trade Kuzma, but not this off-season. Unless someone blows us away with an offer and then the roster would be a bit different.

We don't know who the coach will be and if they would start Poole or Topic - that will be fascinating to watch. It won't be material though, what will be is the minutes played.

I think it unlikely that Butler gets the start over Kispert (but a different coach could change that calculus as well).

I guess in terms of a trade, Poole, Kispert Kuz, Bagley and Holmes won't be untouchable. I just think that the FO will wait for the right offers. I think Kispert, Bagley and Holmes will be first up given their contracts.

I will also be interesting to see who this FO actually decides is the right fit for their rebuild. It will tell us a lot about how they are moving forward. Topic (PG) vs. a C that can play D for example or a wing where they consider building around the wings of Avdija, Coulibaly & Risacher.

I don't have answers for those questions...
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,420

Post#1946 » by NatP4 » Sun May 12, 2024 9:48 pm

Atlanta: Sarr
Washington: Topic
Houston: Risacher
SAS: Dillingham
Detroit: Sheppard
Charlotte: Castle
Memphis (trade up): Clingan
SAS: Knecht
Portland: Buzelis
Utah: Holland
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 923

Post#1947 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun May 12, 2024 9:52 pm

Combine is televised on ESPN2 this Tues & Wed 1-5pm. I got my DVR set!

I need to find out how to watch the Euro games with Risacher and Topic. :o
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#1948 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun May 12, 2024 10:00 pm

NatP4 wrote:Atlanta: Sarr
Washington: Topic
Houston: Risacher
SAS: Dillingham
Detroit: Sheppard
Charlotte: Castle
Memphis (trade up): Clingan
SAS: Knecht
Portland: Buzelis
Utah: Holland

I'll reconsider Topic, basically because of Nat's insistence that he's the guy. And I like other 6-8 forwards Kyshawn George, Dadiet & Flowers that we could potentially get at 26 if we pass on Risacher. At 51 I want 6-10 PF/C Almansa. That would work from a positional standpoint.

OTOH if we go Risacher at 2, I'd be inclined to look at C at 26, like Missi or Holmes.
bubba hotep
Freshman
And1: 30

Post#1949 » by bubba hotep » Sun May 12, 2024 10:04 pm

I'm on board with taking Topic, he looks like a baller to me. But I'd bring him along slow and let Poole start at the 1 next year. #1, we don't have the roster composition to compete next year anyway, so we might as well put Poole in a spot he can have success in, so we can hopefully build his value some.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,563

Post#1950 » by closg00 » Sun May 12, 2024 10:22 pm

Not taking Topic, he’ll be sitting, icing that knee during his rookie contract, he’s not worthy of going 2nd IMO and he can’t shoot like Bilal.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,581

Post#1951 » by nate33 » Sun May 12, 2024 10:31 pm

I don't know how to evaluate Topic and Risacher. They don't blow me away with their physical tools, but Topic at least is productive in the league that he plays in. I just don't know how that league compares to the NCAA's

I don't mind evaluating Sarr because my evaluation is almost exclusively on eye test. He is extremely tall, long and agile, and has a good motor no matter what league he plays in. So I'm willing to bet on the upside.

Excluding Topic and Risacher, my rankings of prospects would be Sarr first, then Holland, then Sheppard. How Topic and Risacher fit in that hierarchy I may never nail down.
bubba hotep
Freshman
And1: 30

Post#1952 » by bubba hotep » Sun May 12, 2024 10:38 pm

One thing that stands out about Risacher in the clips I've seen of him: it doesn't look like he has much of a left hand
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1953 » by nate33 » Sun May 12, 2024 10:40 pm

mhd wrote:Actually, I think Houston does need a center (or at least a defensive center). They have every other position basically filled. I think Sarr would be great for them. Sarr/Clingan can play backup C and they need to consider battling Wemby anyways.

Houston has Sengun at center, and Sengun can't really guard the PF position. I don't think it's tenable to have Sengun share the floor with Clingan, and I don't think Houston spends a #3 pick on a backup center who will play 18 minutes a night.

I could see them taking Sarr because Sarr could conceivably share the floor with Sengun as an extremely tall PF like how Mobley plays with Allen. But Sarr won't last until #3 and I don't think Houston wants him enough to trade up for him.

I think Houston will draft a PG - an understudy to VanVleet who will eventually take over for him when his contract expires. Sheppard makes a lot of sense as an off-ball sharpshooter around Sengun as an offensive hub, though maybe they'll go with Dillingham, Topic or Castle.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,660

Post#1954 » by 80sballboy » Sun May 12, 2024 10:45 pm

I think the medicals on Topic will be huge depending on whether they draft him. I like the potential of Risacher but don't think we need another wing. I'd still take Topic if that's my top pick and the knee is fine (not sure personally yet. Want to see the combine this week and more video). If he redshirts in the 2024-25 season, it means you have a better shot at a high pick for 2025, because that's the ultimate goal in a rebuild. High lottery picks. I want to be bad for one more season and I assume that it could be another year or two before we are competitive.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,990

Post#1955 » by FAH1223 » Sun May 12, 2024 10:48 pm

The Consiglieri wrote:Definitely a debbie downer take but man does this ever remind me of getting a top 3 in the miserable '13 class. Granted their was a hidden mega star that nobody knew was hidden in there, and a couple of 2nd and 3rd tier very good players, but the top of that class was every bit as disappointing: Noel, Bennett, Porter, Oladipo and Len. Hopefully we can get the really good luck next year and the year after. I would love to flip this for a later pick and a pick in '26.

If Dawkins is in the school of Sam Presti, be prepared for the Wizards taking someone we aren’t thinking of going top 2.

We didn’t even know they worked out Bilal until after he got picked.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1956 » by nate33 » Sun May 12, 2024 10:50 pm

9 and 20 wrote:#2 is not bad, I guess. I'd say it's so Wiz in weak draft with a clear #1 and then a bunch of guys with question marks, but maybe a guy emerges as a clear #2.

I bet Atlanta would want #26 if we trade up.

Topic - tall, dynamic point guard that can't shoot. Can I dream on a young Jason Kidd? Or is that way off?

Jason Kidd was a good offensive point guard, but what made him a Hall of Famer is that he was arguably the best PG defender of all time. Topic most definitely is NOT an elite defender. So you can just forget about comparison's to Kidd.

I'm actually having a hard time thinking of elite PG's who were neither good defenders nor good shooters - which is why I have trouble with Topic as the pick. Ricky Rubio? Maybe Josh Giddey? Mark Jackson? I suppose John Wall is a comp as far as in-game production, though he'll do it with more clever passing rather than raw athleticism.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,971

Post#1957 » by tontoz » Sun May 12, 2024 10:50 pm

80sballboy wrote:I think the medicals on Topic will be huge depending on whether they draft him. I like the potential of Risacher but don't think we need another wing. I'd still take Topic if that's my top pick and the knee is fine (not sure personally yet. Want to see the combine this week and more video). If he redshirts in the 2024-25 season, it means you have a better shot at a high pick for 2025, because that's the ultimate goal in a rebuild. High lottery picks. I want to be bad for one more season and I assume that it could be another year or two before we are competitive.

Topic won't be at the combine since he is actively playing. Given that he is back playing again his knee can't be that bad.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1958 » by nate33 » Sun May 12, 2024 10:51 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
The Consiglieri wrote:Definitely a debbie downer take but man does this ever remind me of getting a top 3 in the miserable '13 class. Granted their was a hidden mega star that nobody knew was hidden in there, and a couple of 2nd and 3rd tier very good players, but the top of that class was every bit as disappointing: Noel, Bennett, Porter, Oladipo and Len. Hopefully we can get the really good luck next year and the year after. I would love to flip this for a later pick and a pick in '26.

If Dawkins is in the school of Sam Presti, be prepared for the Wizards taking someone we aren’t thinking of going top 2.

We didn’t even know they worked out Bilal until after he got picked.

Which is why I think Holland is a real possibility.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,186

Post#1959 » by Dat2U » Sun May 12, 2024 10:56 pm

Only 3 guys I'm considering at 2 assuming Sarr is gone:

G Rob Dillingham
F Ron Holland
G Nikola Topic

I'd probably be pissed if it's anyone else and lose my sh** if it's Clingan, Castle or Risacher.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#1960 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun May 12, 2024 11:04 pm

nate33 wrote:
9 and 20 wrote:#2 is not bad, I guess. I'd say it's so Wiz in weak draft with a clear #1 and then a bunch of guys with question marks, but maybe a guy emerges as a clear #2.

I bet Atlanta would want #26 if we trade up.

Topic - tall, dynamic point guard that can't shoot. Can I dream on a young Jason Kidd? Or is that way off?

Jason Kidd was a good offensive point guard, but what made him a Hall of Famer is that he was arguably the best PG defender of all time. Topic most definitely is NOT an elite defender. So you can just forget about comparison's to Kidd.

I'm actually having a hard time thinking of elite PG's who were neither good defenders nor good shooters - which is why I have trouble with Topic as the pick. Ricky Rubio? Maybe Josh Giddey? Mark Jackson? I suppose John Wall is a comp as far as in-game production, though he'll do it with more clever passing rather than raw athleticism.

Magic Johnson

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/johnsma02.html

Return to Washington Wizards